8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

So... do I sell? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Its the same illogic that makes some of us waste our hard-earned paychecks on lottery tickets;
Every lottery winner since day one has one thing in common. They bought a ticket. After all it is our hard earned paychecks! Wouldn't life be boring if all we did was logical things. None of us would be conversing today.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
JagRag (11-17-2021), pk4144 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:26 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Hi all-

Didn't expect to be posting this, but here goes.

First factor: I’m now a two-car person which I never thought would be the case.

second factor: just recovered from the “sticker shock” of having the rear crossover pipe replaced (otherwise known as the “coolant manifold.”). It was my first significant repair after my warranty expired (three weeks and a few hundred miles afterward) and JESUS that was painful.

Third factor: I’m due for pads and rotors on the rear brakes (at that point where I’m gettin the warning intermittently).

So... I’ve been noticing a little knocking in the supercharger. Didn’t drive it for a week or two (so, yeah, dead battery when I went to start it), and when I started it up... loud bag of rocks. LOUD. Like “WTF?!?” loud.

Called my jag dealer who said it was OK to drive it over. Got there (the knocking was better by then but still noticeable)— my tech was like “yep, supercharger.” Interestingly he was surprisingly nonchalant about it. Said it really doesn’t sound too bad, as these things go. It’s a “sooner or later” thing as opposed to a “leave it with him” thing.

we pulled the price of a new supercharger, which is currently about $4800. For those curious, there are three available in the Western Region. Which surprised the tech, since he tells me he can’t get simpler things like motor mounts for love or money.
And yes, they also have just the snout kit, and it might only be that, but won’t know for sure until they pull it off.

With his assurance, I drove off. And, honestly, it drives great. But I am annoyed by the knock.

So I’m thinking.... is this the moment?

To be clear, I love the car. And the loan was paid off, so why not just hang onto it— especially since, as we all know, resale typically goes in the toilet once you hit the 100,000 mile mark.

But these are not typical times.

Still... as we all also know, cars hit a moment where things start happening. Is this the time to cut bait?

what would you do? Would you:

A) sell it “as is” now.

B) fix the brakes, at least, then sell it.

C) bite the bullet and just get it all fixed, assuming I’m gonna hold onto the car.

D) fix the brakes, post it online and see if anyone bites. Keep driving it.

Thoughts appreciated.
C. For me cause i plan on keeping mine forever.I'll eventually come up with $4800 for the repair cause I've paid for worst car repairs and im talking $10,000 so $4800 is a bit of an ouch but not bad if it includes labor and everything just to get it repaired.Brakes is nothing cause i can get my lil bro to change those out and buy the lifetime brake pads at autozone and just pay my lil bro labor for putting them on cause he enjoys whenever i pay him to fix cars for me

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 11-17-2021 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:41 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

ok, I’m in… second bid: 12,500. . after all, it needs so much work ;-)

But if it were me, fix it now. Driving about with worn brakes isn’t the best of ideas. As for the supercharger… Its an Eaton. Anyone can fix it. Get a different quote from someone who knows precisely what they are hearing when she runs.

And if you decide to sell, there’s a bunch of us waiting at the gate.

Last edited by guy; 11-17-2021 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

It sounds like have already convinced yourself that it's time to sell. The bigger question is are you going to buy another car to replace it? It''s very hard to find a vehicle these days (either new ot used) that has all of the qualities of the XK/XKR. There just isn't a car quite like it. If you're not going to replace it, sell it and move on with fond memories. If you are going to replace it, find the replacement and decide whether the new car will make you as happy.

I have thought many times about selling my car. There is always something that needs to be done. Every piece of plastic in my car seems to falling apart. Every time I start up the car, I wonder if I'm going to get another error code. That being said, everytime I look at the lines on this car, I realize how much I love the look. When I drive it, I love the personality of the ride. I always have people coming up to me to comment how amazing my car is. Do I wish it were more reliable? Absolutely!! Have I found a replacement car that I would be happy with? Not yet.

Just my opinion.

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by khsjsilver:
peterv8 (11-18-2021), pk4144 (11-17-2021), ralphwg (11-21-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Also sorry for the duplicate posts. I would remove one but I don't know how. That'll teach me to post from my phone.....
All sorted and duplicate threads merged.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Cee Jay (11-17-2021), pk4144 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
All sorted and duplicate threads merged.
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2021, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

This has all been truly helpful. Looking over these posts, I do wonder one thing: how many on this forum not only use their XK as their daily driver but their XK is, in fact, the only car they own? It's been that way for me for years-- groceries, buying an armchair, you name it, I did it with the XKR.

Not to mention what transported me to work. Luckily, whenever I brought it in to have an issue worked on, I just drove a Jag loaner for a few days --and it was weeks, in some cases. Had that not been the case, had I been scrounging around for an insurance rental, the XKR simply would not have been workable as my one-and-only car.
The plan with the Sportbrake was I'd drive that East, and it would be my New England Car. (AWD, plenty of room in the back to throw crap in there). But I realize now that my assumption was that the XKR would continue as my daily here in LA -- a good place for it, to be sure, but it's just not a daily anymore.
And remember I live in Downtown Los Angeles and have neither garage nor driveway. Fun as it sounds, having car parts on a bench while I work through an issue and drive my other car simply isn't an option for me.
And those clamps for the convertible rear window? They’re now in a bag below my bathroom sink.

Last edited by pk4144; 11-17-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

...so I guess my real options are:

- sell the XKR, use the Sportbrake as my one-and-only, drive it cross-country in April, buy a new LA car (a newer XK?) when I fly back.

- bite the bullet and go all in on the XKR, drive the Sportbrake across the country now. Get the XKR Sorted here in LA as I’m driving across.

Last edited by pk4144; 11-17-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

Why not drive the Sportbrake for 30 days there. See what you think about it after doing so. Use it exclusively. The XK situation isn't going to change in 30 days. That may help you make your decision.

pk4144 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fxdwg
Why not drive the Sportbrake for 30 days there. See what you think about it after doing so. Use it exclusively. The XK situation isn't going to change in 30 days. That may help you make your decision.
Basically what I just finished doing, it's how the XKR ended up sitting so long. Honestly, between the dead battery (an ongoing gremlin that doesn't really matter as long as I drive it every day), the knocking from the Supercharger, the slight gasoline-y exhaust smell, and not having driven it for so long, I had an "ahhhh, ****" moment when it started up: "This is a project car now." I hadn't really noticed it before. And now that it's newly out of warranty, it's no longer the dealership's Project Car...

Having said that: since I've had more or less all the suspension parts replaced, it really rides and handles amazingly well. And once it was warmed up the knocking subsided, I finally put my foot in it and had that same "XKR" feeling. The Sportbrake is great, for what it is, but it's apples-n-oranges. An XKR convertible it is not, and never will be.
On the other hand, it's still fully warrantied and counting the CPO it will be for another few years.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Most cars new or used are going to need some form of repairs, parts wear out, maintenance, etc, especially a daily driver, so the question's not should you continue to maintain the XK, the question's would you rather a different car?

Old 11-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

My son will now offer $13,000

Old 11-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
Most cars new or used are going to need some form of repairs, parts wear out, maintenance, etc, especially a daily driver, so the question's not should you continue to maintain the XK, the question's would you rather a different car?
The sportbrake until spring when I'll drive it to Western MA. Fly back in July when hopefully prices will be a little less nuts. And, honestly, maybe a 2014/15 XKR if I can find one. If not? Dunno. Cadillac CTS-V.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

If I go this route I'll price it out and reach out. In terms of issues, either way I imagine I'll do those rear brakes. Which leaves two issues that are more liesurely:

Phantom power drain: honestly, not worth chasing, IMO. Drive it every day you'll never notice it. If not, get a C-tek. I just never went the maintainer route.
Supercharger: the more I research, I'm realizing it's a "do it at some point" job, and probably not the whole unit.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:09 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

My 2010 XKR is my daily driver and has been for the past 8 years. I will passthe 200,000 mile mark sometime soon, and honestly, it's still a pleasure to drive. I am getting some increased maintenance issues but none that have affected the driveability of the car. For instance, my bluetooth module is on the blink and finding one is nearly impossible, so I'll pull it and send it off to a company in New York to rebuild it for $350 with a 2 day turnaround, but other than little things like that, it's like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps on running. I think about the day that some catastrophic failure causes me to stop driving it, and I occasionally look to find a similar lower mileage model, I've enjoyed it that much. I'd think long and hard about what you'd pay for a car you'd enjoy as much and then weigh that against spending the $4800. But don't worry, your car still has plenty of life left in it and has had so many things replaced, it's like a new car.
Good luck with your decision. I'll up the bidding to $13,500.

pk4144 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update/resolution

So.....

I think I'm gonna hang onto it, at least until spring. Why?

- first, remembered I JUST got it re-registered and smogged. Pricier than you'd think in CA, and a hassle. And there is an advantage to simply holding the car you have.

- second, Two Interesting Developments:
- the "bag of rocks" seems to have almost disappeared (my Jag tech was right again). This is baffling to me as I always understand that mechanical issues, like teeth, only get worse. But since I've been driving it again, no scary knocking on startup, and honestly you can't even hear it as you drive the car. If you raise the hood while it's idling (and you know what to listen for), you can hear some knocking, but frankly I'm shocked at how much better it is. Wouldn't the car cool down and have everything drain down after 12 hours? What the hell difference did three weeks make?
- the BRAKE PADS LOW warning is gone. Yes, I took a quick look and the rears are low, and will need attention-- soon, but not today. (Not the priciest fix, anyway.) I understood that once that sensor wire was broken, that was that. Again, I'm baffled. And I'm past the Drive Crazy stage, the car is stopping just fine, so all good. But I will address it.

- third, and most important: the car still drives great. Like really well. And Jahummer's question - what will you replace it with? - I've got no answer for that. Really dig the Sportbrake but it's a New England car.

So given the all work that's been done, think I'm gonna hold for now, and will revisit this decision in the spring (and other than the brakes, no work til then). I've attached a summary of what Rusnak Jag has done to the car, below, to give you an idea. (The actual invoice for the e-diff is not there is it was Paid by Jaguar North America, or something. The only invoice is for the installation. Apparently the e-diff was about $11,800)

But when I sell (next spring?), y'all will be the first to know.

And I can't tell you how much your input helped.

2010 JAGUAR XKR SHOP WORK
(DOES NOT INCLUDE MAINTENANCE - TIRES, OIL, FILTERS, FLUIDS)

09/16
REPLACE #1, #6 FUEL INJECTOR
REPLACE FRONT LATERAL ARM BUSHINGS
REPLACE #2 COIL

10/16
INSTALL SPACER AND O-RING TO ELIMINATE WHISTLE IN FRONT CLIMATE SYSTEM
REPLACE REAR TRUNK LID TAILLIGHTS DUE TO DEFECTIVE FOGLAMPS

04/17
REPAIR SUPERCHARGER USING SNOUT KIT
REPLACE A/C DRAIN TUBE ASSEMBLY
REPLACE TRANSMISSION MOUNT (1)

06/17
REPLACE ELECTRONIC DIFFERENTIAL- UNIT SHIPPED FROM UK

03/18
REPLACE RIGHT AND LEFT REAR WHEEL BEARING
REPLACE BOTH UPPER FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS
REPLACE SWAY BAR LINKS

04/19
REPLACE BOTH FRONT WHEEL HUB-BEARING ASSEMBLIES
REPLACE ENGINE MOUNTS

10/19
REPLACE CONTROL MODULE
REPLACE FRONT SWAY BAR BUSHINGS
REPLACE TRANSMISSION MOUNT (1)
REPLACE LOWER REAR CONTROL ARMS AND BUSHINGS
REPLACE HEADLAMP CONTROL MODULE

11/20
REPLACE COOLANT FAN AND SENSOR ASSEMBLY
REPLACE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLY
REPLACE WATER PUMP
REPLACE RADIATOR HOSE (2)
REPLACE/REPAIR WIRING FOR CONVERTIBLE TOP
REPLACE CONNECTOR PIN ASSEMBLY FOR CONVERTIBLE TOP
REPLACE BOTH FRONT INNER STRAIGHT ARM BUSHINGS

06/21
REPLACE BOTH FRONT ADAPTIVE HEADLAMPS
REPLACE DRIVE BELT
REPLACE VACUUM PUMP
REPLACE FRONT CURVE ARM BUSHINGS

08/21
REPLACE A/C COMPRESSOR

09/21
REPLACE COOLANT MANIFOLD, REAR HEATER HOSES

(TOTAL: $48,888.59)

Last edited by pk4144; 11-17-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Oh my... wow. I guess my car has been pretty good to me. No more bitching.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
Cee Jay (11-18-2021), pk4144 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

How could so many things go wrong with one car? Were the factory workers about to go on strike the day they built your car?

pk4144 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:23 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Yes, maintenance is not cheap. but some of those items are not typical maintenance items. Was she previously abused or were items allowed to be let go for an extended time?
I consider maintenance as just that, maintenance. Not an ‘improvement’ if you will as the car is being put back into the shape it should already be in. The cost of maintenance is a wash to me. That includes your entire list.
I do find it interesting that you started the thread by your observation of a sound from the supercharger and I see that the supercharger was repaired in 2017. This doesn’t seem right to me. Truly. At over 150k kms, my list does not contain these big ticket items. But I do keep her in the garage, I do frequently have ALL the fluids changed, and I send her to the shop at first signs of trouble. Perhaps climate has something to do with it?? I do drive her when > 30 C outside and on occasion when it dips below -40.
Couple that with the need for a new differential…. I suspect had the car been properly maintained from ‘birth’ such components would not need replacing.
Thanks for actually taking the time to compose that list. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I’m in denial about such things. Glad you’re keeping her.
For another level of entertainment, get yourself a sailing yacht as well.

Last edited by guy; 11-18-2021 at 05:38 AM.
pk4144 (11-18-2021)

Quick Reply: So... do I sell? What would you do?