8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

So... do I sell? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Yes, maintenance is not cheap. but some of those items are not typical maintenance items. Was she previously abused or were items allowed to be let go for an extended time?
I consider maintenance as just that, maintenance. Not an ‘improvement’ if you will as the car is being put back into the shape it should already be in. The cost of maintenance is a wash to me. That includes your entire list.
I do find it interesting that you started the thread by your observation of a sound from the supercharger and I see that the supercharger was repaired in 2017. This doesn’t seem right to me. Truly. At over 150k kms, my list does not contain these big ticket items. But I do keep her in the garage, I do frequently have ALL the fluids changed, and I send her to the shop at first signs of trouble. Perhaps climate has something to do with it?? I do drive her when > 30 C outside and on occasion when it dips below -40.
Couple that with the need for a new differential…. I suspect had the car been properly maintained from ‘birth’ such components would not need replacing.
Thanks for actually taking the time to compose that list. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I’m in denial about such things. Glad you’re keeping her.
For another level of entertainment, get yourself a sailing yacht as well.
A yacht - HA! THIS CAR IS MY LAND YACHT

Anyway, good points. A few observations:

I purchased the car in 2014 (2015?) with about 7500 miles on it. I am the second owner of the car. Not sure how much abuse the first guy coulda done in 7500 miles, but you never know.
Like others here, I am impeccable about maintenance, in terms of fluid/filter changes, etc. None of these issues are the result of maintenance failure, not even the injectors, as these cars don't have fuel filters.
While I do live in Southern California and I do keep it garaged (both at home and at work), this has been my ride-or-die car for seven years. Six times across the USA (3 east, 3 west). 900-mile trip up into the Wasatch mountains in January (not advised). Spend a summer having it garaged in NYC. There is nothing more wonderful than a garaged convertible in New York for summer nights - BUT JESUS CHRIST THE ROADS. Don't really notice when you live there with no car.
I do think about my in-service date, in Sept 2009. This had to have been one of the first of the supercharged 5.0's out there, and the new body style. I wonder if they hadn't quite worked the kinks out?
I will also say that, from memory, these are the issues that made me bring the car in:

- limp-home, Restricted Performance warning light (injectors/coil)
I've heard a few folks have had this issue. Bad tank of gas? Who knows? Was early in my ownership of the car. I'm fine with it. Warranty paid.
- E-differential warning light (Yellow triangle, never got to red, E-diff was replaced. Interestingly, the car drove fine, except for the telltale "shudder while turning from a stop.")
Warranty paid. Had this been a cost I had to cover, I'd have gone to court. This was completely unacceptable and actually soured me on the car a bit.
- Convertible top wouldn't close completely, would get the hated "hood not latched" warning and the rear windows would not raise.
Seen a few members with this. Mine ended up being an odd fix-- some wires had become pinched and were overlayed with new wiring. Warranty paid.
- Engine overheat light (Red triangle while stuck in traffic, thankfully went away when we crested a hill and traffic eased up. Fan assembly/thermostat/water pump.)
This just sucked. But, from reading the threads, not uncommon as these cars age-- kind of like "if you haven't had this happen, you're gonna." Warranty paid.
- Adaptive headlamps. (got the yellow warning, they were a little cross-eyed but not too bad.)
Again, several folks with this as the cars age, and honestly I could have lived with it. Also, not sure how many of the 2010-2015 cars even have this feature? Warranty paid.
- rear crossover/coolant manifold. Got the "Coolant level low" warning.
First thing I paid for myself and OUCH NOT COOL. (pun intended)

(Oh, and I have had one of the Kalimnos wheels replaced at my expense, which is not on the list. Also something I don't like and have never dealt with before in other cars.)

The point: everything else you see done, including all the bushings, control arms, motor/engine mounts, vacuum pump (still don't know what that is), a/c compressor, etc, was found when the car was in for service. Since my deductible ($75) was per visit and not per item, they would fine-tooth-comb the car whenever I brought it in. Sometimes even if I brought it in for an oil change (which I had them do until I realized how easy the DIY change is on our cars), they'd call saying they "found a few things."
I never noticed any of those suspension issues (or the rear foglights-- I was like "say what-- this car has rear foglights??"), and they were all replaced at no cost to me.
And with the suspension stuff, I did notice the car was both smoother and more solid after the work was done. Makes me wonder if other folks might have those issues currently and simply not notice. With the headlights, I was fully prepared to just live with it, but they said bring it in, and, yep-- warranty covered.
Which leads to the second observation: yes, I think this car had more than it's share of issues, but only two - the E-diff and the god-awful cooling system - would have soured me on Jaguars completely had I been on the hook for it. And I would have sold the car long ago.

And to the car's credit, after the E-diff replacement (35K miles, 2017), I really didn't notice anything until the overheat, which was in 2020 at about 85K miles, which it seems is when the cooling system starts to crap out. Between those two things was a lot of suspension/mounts stuff I didn't even bring the car in for. And it still DOES ride like a new car.

Last edited by pk4144; 11-18-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
How could so many things go wrong with one car? Were the factory workers about to go on strike the day they built your car?
I have asked myself similar questions- and wonder about my in-service date, and whether this was one of the very first with the 5.0 and the E-diff and the upgraded suspension, and maybe that's why the warranty paid absolutely everything? JLR was like "oh just pay it."

Last edited by pk4144; 11-18-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Oh my... wow. I guess my car has been pretty good to me. No more bitching.
From what I can tell, I really think the 07-09 cars, with the 4.2 (especially if it's NA) and the simpler suspension, are much more bulletproof.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:57 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Hi all-

what would you do? Would you:

A) sell it “as is” now.

B) fix the brakes, at least, then sell it.

C) bite the bullet and just get it all fixed, assuming I’m gonna hold onto the car.

D) fix the brakes, post it online and see if anyone bites. Keep driving it.

Thoughts appreciated.
first. Its not your supercharger if it was you would be advised not to drive it at all until fixed. ( i bet its the coupler as its common and has the same sound you described )
2nd fix everything and sell it
3rd) you would probably be happier as a lexus owner.

The dealer is the worst place to fix your car
they like to replace parts not fix them. Hence the alleged supercharger issue…. If they are right about needing a new SC then allowing you to drive it that way is very bad advise and will lead to more issues very quickly.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

It's actually JLR supply the snout as a complete assembly, easier, quicker and less liability for improper replacement of the coupler. Coupler failure's quite common and not likely to impact drive-ability straight away.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
It's actually JLR supply the snout as a complete assembly, easier, quicker and less liability for improper replacement of the coupler. Coupler failure's quite common and not likely to impact drive-ability straight away.
Pretty much exactly what my tech said.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

You might want to look at this as the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:01 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Best of luck.
For me this is still not adding up. Too many issues and too many fixes. For example, if the snout were already replaced once, why does it need replacing again? My adaptive headlamps are fine. As is the differential. But yes, my car eats up batteries, tires and bushings and brakes .

Every Jaguar and Land Rover I ever purchased came with the extended warranty. And it did cover the entire car to 160,000 kms except wear parts. So not bushings or brakes, etc. It was an expensive option.
clearly, there are good dealers, and not so good, as there are good Independents, and not so good. The secret lies in finding the maintenance group you trust and like the most.
if purchased in 2014/15 with 7500 miles on her, and if you not just cared about the maintenance, but went the extra mile, this situation should not be presenting itself…. Nope, it doesn’t add up.

Cheers

Old 11-23-2021, 08:01 AM
Default Not cheap…

Pretty much exactly what my tech said.
Replacing the front snout for a simple coupler replacement is very expensive. Plus you will still have the lousy spring coupler. You can get an upgraded solid coupler I believe the internal is a polymer or similar. Lasts well over 100,000( ive had them on 2 engines) plus its only 70-90 bucks….same labour time… as I said dealers just love to replace direct bolt on parts … more money for them. In this case a lot more…..

Old 11-23-2021, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Best of luck.
For me this is still not adding up. Too many issues and too many fixes. For example, if the snout were already replaced once, why does it need replacing again? My adaptive headlamps are fine. As is the differential. But yes, my car eats up batteries, tires and bushings and brakes .

Every Jaguar and Land Rover I ever purchased came with the extended warranty. And it did cover the entire car to 160,000 kms except wear parts. So not bushings or brakes, etc. It was an expensive option.
clearly, there are good dealers, and not so good, as there are good Independents, and not so good. The secret lies in finding the maintenance group you trust and like the most.
if purchased in 2014/15 with 7500 miles on her, and if you not just cared about the maintenance, but went the extra mile, this situation should not be presenting itself…. Nope, it doesn’t add up.

Cheers
Guy--
I do agree about suspension parts and batteries, but I think there are flaws in your reasoning on your other points. In the interests of anyone still reading -- and who is driving a car that is at least six years old, and likely much, much older -- I'd offer the following points:

- first, and most importantly, this car is a 2010 model-year car with an in-service date of October 2009 (so, yes, it's 12 years old). At that in-service date, the CPO would have brought the warranty out to October, 2015-- in other words, three months after I bought it. ALL the repairs noted were after the car had aged out of the CPO range.
- and, as you note, CPO coverage doesn't cover suspension parts (bushings, control arms, etc) anyway. That accounts for over $10,000 of the work I had done, none of it paid for by me. (And I suspect some forum members here may be in need of some of this work and simply don't know it.)
- my warranty was 6yrs/100000 miles from date and mileage of MY purchase of the car. So, as an example, both adaptive headlights were replaced at PAST the 10-year, 90,000 mile mark. And if you search "adaptive headlights" on the forum you'll see that there are plenty of other owners with issues with these lights; at that age plastic just gets brittle. BETTER: my service advisor pointed out that the adaptive headlight fault doesn't necessarily indicate WHICH lamp is defective, so she submitted for both. I got two free, brand new headlamp assemblies out of the deal. I'm not complaining.
- forum members, by nature, tend to attack dealer service-- and people who use dealer service, such as myself, as owners who lack knowledge and simply throw money away. Certainly not all dealership service departments are created equal. But as I've pointed out before, I WORKED in the bays a dealership service department, and I know this simply isn't always the case, and I've spoken at length to my tech (who's been there for over a decade) about the issues with my car. He's an encyclopedia about XK's, and a generally good guy and rockstar mechanic. Plus, in my situation, living in the middle of Los Angeles, I simply don't have the garage space, resources, or time do do this work myself. Further, since the car is my daily driver I have the added benefit of getting a free loaner. If I were doing this work myself (or had it done at a small indie) I would not have transportation while the car was apart. That makes a difference.
- and as regards an extended warranty, which for sure is best understood as an insurance policy: BY FAR the most important person in the process is the service rep. That person deals with not only the owner but the warranty company (and the mechanic). Just like at your dentist's office, that office manager who actually submits to the insurance company, and knows how to phrase the problem and work the insurance reps to get coverage, makes all the difference. In my case, I have no doubt that if I'd taken the car to a smaller Jag indie, some of these issues would not have been covered.
- as to maintenance: like most forum members, I'm meticulous about maintenance (oil+filter changes, other filter changes, fluids, belt/hose inspection, etc). None of the following big-ticket issues that were fixed under warranty were maintenance related:
- injectors/coil
- differential
- multiple cooling system components
- rear taillights
- A/C compressor (which hadn't in fact failed but was losing effectiveness after ten years, and MAN it made a difference to have it replaced)
- motor/transmission mounts
- supercharger
- convertible top

So, I guess two takeaways here: first, almost all of these issues (cooling system, adaptive headlights, convertible top) are common on these threads. Bad luck that I had not one or two of them, but all of them? To be sure. But if you're reading this, some or all of these issues will affect your car if they haven't already. Second, people might comfort themselves with the thought that "that would never happen to my because I TAKE CARE of my car"-- yet all the standard maintenance in the world would not have prevented any of these issues.

Main point: as these cars age, these problems start occurring. I feel fortunate that this work was done under warranty by experienced folks-- and, more importantly, defective parts were replaced with new Jag parts that are still, at this point, available. That will change, and we'll all be scrounging for used parts online. (And yes, Jag dealerships no longer have to warranty repair work on cars over seven years old, I think. They'll do the work, but it won't be warrantied, as all my work was, for two years.)

Last edited by pk4144; 11-23-2021 at 06:26 PM.
JagRag (11-23-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:03 AM
Default A lot of problems

You certainly have had a lot if bad luck.
i have an 09 XKRr, 11 XKR175 and an 09 -XF You have had way more issues on your car than all of mine combined. I just wanted to point out that not all Jags have the problems you have unfortunately encountered. All cars makers have their share of problem years and models however you certainly have hit a bad example. Some cars are just money pits and thats all you can say whether its Jag, Merc, Audi or bmw they all have certain examples that fit the money pit. I had an M5 that was a money pit similar to your experience…fixed the car then sold it fast before something else broke. Probably best to sell it and move on to something new. Sorry about your luck. Im a die hard Jag fan…my experience is 180 of yours even with the XKR’s highly modified they have been amazing rides for many years.
my2c

Old 12-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb
No offense, if you sold me the car and did not fix it and you posted it here, I would sue you for false representation if you did not disclose.
Anyone that casually talks about suing either doesn't have the *****, the grounds, or the means. And it's a used car; it is YOUR responsibility as a buyer to do your due diligence before purchase. Once bought, it's your problem. Why don't you go sue McDonalds or something and gtf out of here with that ****.

Last edited by Mandrake; 12-01-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi all-

Didn't expect to be posting this, but here goes.

First factor: I’m now a two-car person which I never thought would be the case.

second factor: just recovered from the “sticker shock” of having the rear crossover pipe replaced (otherwise known as the “coolant manifold.”). It was my first significant repair after my warranty expired (three weeks and a few hundred miles afterward) and JESUS that was painful.

Third factor: I’m due for pads and rotors on the rear brakes (at that point where I’m gettin the warning intermittently).

So... I’ve been noticing a little knocking in the supercharger. Didn’t drive it for a week or two (so, yeah, dead battery when I went to start it), and when I started it up... loud bag of rocks. LOUD. Like “WTF?!?” loud.

Called my jag dealer who said it was OK to drive it over. Got there (the knocking was better by then but still noticeable)— my tech was like “yep, supercharger.” Interestingly he was surprisingly nonchalant about it. Said it really doesn’t sound too bad, as these things go. It’s a “sooner or later” thing as opposed to a “leave it with him” thing.

we pulled the price of a new supercharger, which is currently about $4800. For those curious, there are three available in the Western Region. Which surprised the tech, since he tells me he can’t get simpler things like motor mounts for love or money.
And yes, they also have just the snout kit, and it might only be that, but won’t know for sure until they pull it off.

With his assurance, I drove off. And, honestly, it drives great. But I am annoyed by the knock.

So I’m thinking.... is this the moment?

To be clear, I love the car. And the loan was paid off, so why not just hang onto it— especially since, as we all know, resale typically goes in the toilet once you hit the 100,000 mile mark.

But these are not typical times.

Still... as we all also know, cars hit a moment where things start happening. Is this the time to cut bait?

what would you do? Would you:

A) sell it “as is” now.

B) fix the brakes, at least, then sell it.

C) bite the bullet and just get it all fixed, assuming I’m gonna hold onto the car.

D) fix the brakes, post it online and see if anyone bites. Keep driving it.

Thoughts appreciated.
Rear brakes should run you about $100 in parts and take an hour to do both sides. You'll need a caliper rotator\compressor tool that'll cost, eh... $20-$30 or something like that.

The torsional isolator in the supercharger is the part that fails and is replaceable without having to replace an otherwise perfect supercharger and\or snout. When I did mine, it took me four hours of taking my time and having a few beers along the way. Far more involved than brakes, but a relatively straight forward job. A solid torsional isolator will cost something like $40, and it's a one and done permanent fix. Change the sc oil while you're there, and as said- replace some coolant pipes because it'll be easier now than when the whole engine has to come out when you fry it as a result of a leak.

At an independent, you're talking under a grand all said and done. But find a good one. These cars aren't hard to work on, but they do take a bit more finesse than the usual Japanese and American stuff that independents usually see.
Our experience with the dealer was that whenever our '16 XJL went in for warranty work, they half-*** patched it up in hopes to get it through the warranty period. I had to call bullshit a few times because I've played the game for a long time and knew what they were up to. Unless it's covered under the factory warranty, do not go to the dealer.

Last edited by Mandrake; 12-01-2021 at 08:17 PM.
bfarrell (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Anyone that casually talks about suing either doesn't have the *****, the grounds, or the means. And it's a used car; it is YOUR responsibility as a buyer to do your due diligence before purchase. Once bought, it's your problem. Why don't you go sue McDonalds or something and gtf out of here with that ****.
Others, including the OP, took the trouble to read the thread before posting their reaction.

The only person getting out of here is YOU with a 7 Day Ban. If you choose to return at the end of this time, make sure your future posts are more considered. That's NOT the way we communicate on this forum.

Graham

Barry Leftwich (12-02-2021)