XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

So sad and worried…

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 02:15 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kongo1
Interesting that it's noted above that the 2013 and above models should be free of engine timing issues but if you read the f-type forums aren't there quite a few posts about the issue and engine problems or are these problems due to something else??
Never heard the F-Types having the tension chain issue.But I think F-Types be having problems with the fuel injectors going bad last engine problem i heard about them from a guy on youtube always having that problem with his F Type

Old 05-29-2022, 02:24 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by catdoc
TY to all responses. Perhaps some recall that there was a class action lawsuit for my exact problems. It affected certain VIN numbers of which my car IS included but the final agreement stipulated the age and mileage, of which my car was over on mileage. Previous to the timing chain problem, I was having issues that my ECO mode would not turn on and off while driving. I brought it in multiple times to the dealer when it was under the lawsuit limit but they couldn’t seem to fix it, admitting they had a few with this issue. I wonder now if it was a symptom of the future problem as now it works fine. Once the chain jumped and the car was in an emergency, I could not drive over two hours to find someone new to try. I understand that 13k is outrageous, especially when they made so many mistakes but a/ I am not a car repair expert only a car owner and b/ my formerly reliable dealership abandoned me when they “reorganized” their teams about eighteen months ago. And yes, quite a slap in the face after spending six figures for a beautiful car that you want to keep longer than eight years. No more judgement please. I am doing the best I can. I HAVE contested the credit card charge and am moving to the Aston Martin recommended shop which all the local indie vintage Jag people suggested. Will update the saga once they have a look see. If my experience is the future of JLR, I may write to Mr Tata himself
But don't feel bad about spending $13k though cause i spent $10k once when my battery had died in my 2007 XKR when i didn't know what the problem was at the time when it won't start and working completely fine the day before.So when he towed my 2007,It won't go in neutral unless the car had power and i didn't know it was a manual switch under the cup holder u can screw off to put the car in neutral and then the tow man towed my car and pulled it on the back of the tow truck while it was in park.When that happened,it tore up the transmission and drivetrain.I paid with my credit card and it was $10k to fix it but the Jaguar dealership fixed it back better than ever... but the sad part about it is i'm still paying on that $10k charge i put on my credit card and that happened years ago now and still owe like $3k on that charge to finish paying it off smh🤦Maybe the thing about the car not going in neutral could be a little informative for the next Jaguar owner that needs to manually place it in neutral.Hope they find my mistake sort of helpful

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 05-29-2022 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Barry,
TY for your story to cheer me up. I am SO sorry that you went through that fiasco but, as you say, we learn from others! I guess I am still learning…

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (05-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:53 AM
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Catdoc,
Any updates on the car? I am in your area and would be interested in your assessment of the recommended indie.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:02 PM
Default Still suffering

Kongo, I am sorry to say that I have now replaced motor mounts and still suffer from vibration issues at idle and driving, as well as poorer fuel economy, louder engine noise and fan turning on more often and for longer periods of time. I am off to yet another indie. Will keep you posted on my success. I am dealing with this with all my (previously) free time!

Old 06-29-2022, 12:46 PM
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Catdoc,
Very sorry to hear this, hope that the new shop can get things sorted.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:22 PM

I remain optimistic that “someone” will be able to figure out what the original shop did wrong. Unfortunately it may take another tear down to diagnose.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:15 PM
Received 598 Likes on 306 Posts

Catdoc: have you checked (1) Long term fuel trims to see if you have a vacuum leak? These are very prone to them. 0% is LTFT target; 5% is ok; more than 10% is problematic, and 20% triggers a code. Point being that your engine can be running badly before you have a code.

Also, check cylinder misfire counts via the noncontinuous monitors on your OBD scanner. These monitors accumulate counts for each drive-cycle They should all be at zero or close to it.

Panthera

The following 2 users liked this post by panthera999:
jahummer (06-30-2022), V7Sport (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Good points. I mentioned the vacuum leak due to PCV failure in Posts #45 and #49. Very common problem across the entire JLR range fitted with 5 and 3 litre engines.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Panthera,

(I love your name!)

I am not proficient in auto repair but I appreciate your helpful comments. The indie mechanic who did the original timing chain work was obviously unskilled, despite advertising as experts with years of experience.

He missed that, when he reassembled the car, the air intake throttle body hose was not correctly seated and a vacuum hose was completely not attached and dangling freely leading to destruction. His response was “it’s complicated” and no one is perfect. I even wonder if the rough engine is what tore my engine mounts. It has been suggested by others on the forum that the balance shafts may not have been properly recalibrated in the repair work.

The fact that there are no current engine fault codes does not convince me that the car is operating correctly. I know my Jag. I have driven her 125k miles over the past nine years. She is not normally loud, she does not normally vibrate at idle and while driving and her mpg is off by a significant amount…all since this indie touched her in March.

I am attempting to a new respectable garage and when I do, I will mention the items you point out.

I hope for a good outcome but am a bit PTSD from this experience. Will keep everyone posted.

Have a wonderful 4th.

Cat Doc

Old 06-30-2022, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I’ve had engine mounts fail anywhere from 50k miles to 100k miles. They’re rubber and like all the numerous other rubber bits in these cars can last from 5-10 years at best.