XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Software upgrade or oldscool mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software upgrade or oldscool mapping?

Hi,

ive been reading here since some weeks.
A lot of you guys have the pulley and software upgrade and i asked myself why its not common to map the car the old fashioned way?

Its my first Jaguar but i drove a lot of boosted cars in the past (and still drive a RB26 260Z). All of my cars got a day on a dyno and a nice mapping to get the best HP out of the engine. Why not on the XKR?

Is there any reason for getting a "standart" tuning software on your XKR?
I ask because i pay 1000€ for a dyno day with mapping and 1000€ for a tuning software from Paramount in UK, price is the same but there will be more HP after a day on the dyno.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Hello Spoony
I'm currently in the process of putting this into practice the xk is in the shop .
I already have oetuning flash tune installed on vehicle and now it's getting a custom dyno tune, although it's a costly experience It will extremely interesting to see how effective the off the shelf tune is vs a custom tune

Results should be up mid week

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Spoony,
The limitation here is the devices that have gained access to ecm hexcode are owned by companies which like to focus on mass-programming. Thus, they like to supply packages where the vendor buys the master unit, and purchases tunes from the developer for a small fee. Basically a service fee, that is for every car. Therefore, from what I have seen is the tunes are safe , decent tunes that are pretty much standard for each specific motor. If one wants to fine tune, the tuning shop, then must have someone on hand that understands what it is they are altering in the charts as well as have purchased the master software for full adjust-ability. Many shops do not want to risk damaging these engines so they rather play it safe and go by the tune which the main company supplies.

This has led me to look into buying a device and software, as well as develop some piggy back units for controlling the A/F. I as well prefer to have my cars tuned optimally. I'm testing my piggy back system as soon as I wrap up the header install.

I look forward to seeing Steve's results. Be sure to supply a/f with your charts.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Spoony,
The limitation here is the devices that have gained access to ecm hexcode are owned by companies which like to focus on mass-programming. Thus, they like to supply packages where the vendor buys the master unit, and purchases tunes from the developer for a small fee. Basically a service fee, that is for every car. Therefore, from what I have seen is the tunes are safe , decent tunes that are pretty much standard for each specific motor. If one wants to fine tune, the tuning shop, then must have someone on hand that understands what it is they are altering in the charts as well as have purchased the master software for full adjust-ability. Many shops do not want to risk damaging these engines so they rather play it safe and go by the tune which the main company supplies.

This has led me to look into buying a device and software, as well as develop some piggy back units for controlling the A/F. I as well prefer to have my cars tuned optimally. I'm testing my piggy back system as soon as I wrap up the header install.

I look forward to seeing Steve's results. Be sure to supply a/f with your charts.
Derek,

I recently just got off the phone to autotech and the results were the following
xk 4.2 n/a : 100cell cats + oetuning (off the shelf generic)- 226rwhp
xk 4.2 n/a : 100cell cats + custom dyno tune - 250rwhp

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to obtain the true stock dyno reading as I had the 100 cells fitted prior to custom tune

Once I get the charts I will post them up

The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Solid gains. I look forward to seeing the A/F to see where in the RPM the improvements were made. Inquire with your tune shop and see what tuning software/master unit they are using. I'm curious to know what's used out that way.

Thanks again.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Derek the a/f ratio was 12.7 I'll ask Autotech which software they used
Check out the forum
Has anyone added a supercharger to a Na 4.2

I'm sorry I'm not too sure how to put the link in but check it out I've got some more info on how it performs now

The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (11-05-2015)