XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sold my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Seems like a heck of a lot of car for money and age!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Seems like a heck of a lot of car for money and age!
The trick that I have found is that there are some efforts that go absolutely unrewarded. For instance if you took a modern XKR completely apart to paint it- that effort would be worth no more than someone who had the car painted without the disassembly. Whereas, if you asked a custom builder to do it, you are looking at a $50k bill.

This car is that- unrewarded effort; the Eagle is the inverse.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Check this bargain of the century.
No Reserve: 1973 Jaguar XKE Coupe 2+2 | Bring a Trailer

The new owner is incredibly happy and has had to do nothing to it.
BTW an identical car to this sits in the Museum of modern art!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

2x2, V12 instead of 6 cyl, auto... might be apiece of history and a classic by all accounts but not something I'd ever want. A E-type, conv with a manual stick yes at the right price.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
2x2, V12 instead of 6 cyl, auto... might be apiece of history and a classic by all accounts but not something I'd ever want. A E-type, conv with a manual stick yes at the right price.
Ask any brit here who has driven one before we had speed limit enforcement in England.
The sound alone was worth any price of admission.

This is better suited for everyday driving in this country.
$17K Price Drop Update: Messed With 1966 Jaguar E Type Coupe | Bring a Trailer

Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

The trick that I have found is that there are some efforts that go absolutely unrewarded. For instance if you took a modern XKR completely apart to paint it- that effort would be worth no more than someone who had the car painted without the disassembly. Whereas, if you asked a custom builder to do it, you are looking at a $50k bill.

This car is that- unrewarded effort; the Eagle is the inverse.
I need to buy a car by year end and just can't make up my mind! I don't think a car that impractical will do... It does stirs visions of fun drives.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I need to buy a car by year end and just can't make up my mind! I don't think a car that impractical will do... It does stirs visions of fun drives.
Practicality has been turned on its head by the nature of travel and car design.

If you are going to use a car once a week for recreation and escape. A depreciating modern car makes little sense and rewards even less.

In my town traffic has become so bad, even your former Lotus would have become a bore to drive.

This car affords the practicality of driving a mundane car rest of the week.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

I wouldn't be caught dead in...er...I probably would be caught dead in that. Literally!

Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

It looks like a X150, a Shelby Cobra, and an XKE had a 3-way. If it weren't for looking extremely "fiberglass" and had much better craftsmanship I'd like that car. Lines look great, fit/finish looks terrible

Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like a X150, a Shelby Cobra, and an XKE had a 3-way. If it weren't for looking extremely "fiberglass" and had much better craftsmanship I'd like that car. Lines look great, fit/finish looks terrible
No Cobra in there. Ferrari.
Dont forget this is an actual American designer.
Yep, that is the name of the game, spend the money on fit an finish.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
I wouldn't be caught dead in...er...I probably would be caught dead in that. Literally!
Too brash and ostentatious?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Too brash and ostentatious?
No, too dangerous! If you drive that relic at nine-tenths you will certainly over-step the limits at some point, and then the lack of safety features will put you six feet under.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

As with any classic, be it a 956, XKE, Older Ferrari, Cobra, etc without crumple zones, callapsable steering shafts, airbags, proper seatbelts with shoulder straps or 4 point harnesses ,etc any car pre-80's or so they are ALL death traps in the event of a mishap.

I grew up jumping up and down on the vinyl bench seats of cars that had chrome dashboards and people never wore seatbelts. Now I truly appreciate and value safety regulations and designs so between the thought of survive-ability and modern comfort classics are not on my radar... love looking at a Ferrari Boxer, Cobra's, Series 1 XKE but would not want to own one or drive it for any distance to me they are works of art meant to static displays OR occasionally driven on a track for aural enjoyment

Must have's for next toy - High back seats, air bags, manual or DCT no simple auto, heated seats, good infotainment system, great driver feel top performance not really needed (don't care if it has 300 or 500 hp), convertible, not American made unless it's a Kirkham Cobra then all bets are off! Not sure what that leaves, thinking MAYBE a Carrera C4S cab or just go back to maybe a XKR or XKR-S nothing else looks tempting. The GT4 isn't in my price range but hits most all my desires even though its not a convertible

Last edited by Leeper; 05-08-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Must have's for next toy - High back seats, air bags, manual or DCT no simple auto, heated seats, good infotainment system, great driver feel top performance not really needed (don't care if it has 300 or 500 hp), convertible, not American made unless it's a Kirkham Cobra then all bets are off! Not sure what that leaves, thinking MAYBE a Carrera C4S cab or just go back to maybe a XKR or XKR-S nothing else looks tempting. The GT4 isn't in my price range but hits most all my desires even though its not a convertible
Aston Martin Rapide? Prices have come down to a very attractive price point. I know it's American, but have you ever driven a Shelby GT350? The sounds, drive train, and performance are world class.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Rapide looks great and I seen some amazing deals but it's 4 doors - if I went that route I rather a Jag XJL supersport or even the S63AMG. This one looks sexy, has been for sale for maybe a year now and is very local - https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/6059039246.html

The GT350 does put up amazing stats, Ford is a decent company especially compared to the other American abominations, they didn't take bail-out money, but every Mustang has looked the same to me for many years whether its a $18K car or their $100K mobile plus they are tiny inside and regardless of the cost level the ergonomics and all the switch gear all feel so damn cheap to me, worse than a base level Honda or Kia. Great drag car but not into that I'd rather go slower but truly LOVE driving it, that why I liked my Porsches so much as they felt like they were part of me not that I was driving them... most Ferrari owners say the same thing about their cars that they are truly engaging

Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Great drag car but not into that I'd rather go slower but truly LOVE driving it, that why I liked my Porsches so much as they felt like they were part of me not that I was driving them... most Ferrari owners say the same thing about their cars that they are truly engaging
GT350 will beat just about any 911 in any performance metric you can think of. Around the windiest track, straight away, braking, etc... It's way more of a driver's car than you are giving it credit for. I am hardly a Ford or an American car guy. My buddy traded in a nearly new 991 for the Shelby and hasn't looked back.

That being said... I get what you mean to the connection. I feel more connected to every little thing in the Porsche over the Shelby... My money would be on the 911 (of the two and told me friend that even after yesterday's drive), but I am not everybody..

How about an Lotus Evora 400? That meets all your requirements. One test drive and you'll be blown away for real. Shifts are nice as 911 or GT350. Has nearly as wicked a sound as the GT350, better braking than 911 or GT350, and a connection neither can come close to. No slouch either.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

I may have to take a look at the Evora, either you or someone else here has been vocal about their praises for it. Love that metallic yellow/orange color! Reading the reviews they rave about that car... hmmmm now you got me thinking Moses (and that takes a whole lot to do!!!) YIKES!!!! I just looked and they are holding their prices at $100K'ish... too much dinero for this kid

The GT350 may be fast but I gave up racing a few years back, just want "connection" while driving and not feel like I'm in a bargain basement rental car in terms of how things feel and look when I get into the car. The XK fit ALL my criteria really well. Always lusted over the big-butt C4S just not sure the current prices are really justified as they are I think "artificially inflated" with Porsches and Ferrari's. There was actually a couple VERY low priced Dodge Vipers, so low that they would have been in my wheelhouse in terms of buying, driving, then turning a couple years down the road and not lose $$$ except I despise GM and Dodge for their business practices, lack of quality control, the list goes on.

Last edited by Leeper; 05-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Depending on where you drive, the Lotus is by far the closest any attainable car comes to enjoyable that fits your criteria.

In part due to its Toyota engine. When coupled with its handling and lightweight characteristics, its makes for a really gratifying zippy drive in everyday driving.

Which I believe is the objective, on the track, or open road yes we have Jags, Ferrari and so on, but we cant pretend we will be the only one on the road anymore.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Banned

For the $100K for the Evora I could get both the XKR-S and the C4S cabriolet... it's just too much for that car. I'd be looking in the $35-55K range.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Always lusted over the big-butt C4S just not sure the current prices are really justified as they are I think "artificially inflated" with Porsches and Ferrari's.
From looks only the 996 and earlier are the best C4S bodies. The flaring is more exaggerated than on the newer 911's. 996 Turbo would be a great pick up in your price range.

Back to the Lotus... Test drive an Evora S.