XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sold my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Had the XK instead of the XKR, honestly didn't need the extra HP so though I really like the turbo not sure I'd go for it over the C4S but we'll see. It'll be at least mo's before I start a real search... I usually buy cars in the winter when supplies are up, sellers more desperate, and buyers few. I'd probably look at 2002-2006 models I can get a really nice specimen for $35-40 right now on a C4S cab low miles there's also a lot of them that were DD's with high miles unlike Jags or other top level cars.

I'll go try a Lotus just to say I've done so but honestly that's out of my range for a 2nd/weekend car

Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Lexus LC 500
Less than the XKR
Tremendous resale, so much cheaper than most cars.
Nice shape, fantastic interior.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Banned

LOVE the look except for the life of me I can't figure out who approved that disgusting grill design they went to every one looks like it was made of wax and started melting badly. That and every Lexus I've driven was nice but completely lacked any driver "engagement"... Lastly that's still a $100K car. Driven a number of Lexus, great ladies car. Were you maybe thinking of the Lexus SC430??? Those are flat out ugly, Top gear ranked the "World's worst car" which I think is a big stretch but it is still ugly

Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

I really like the RC350 but it has to be in black to smooth out the angles a bit. Strangely enough I like the grills on the Lexus (my wife hates them) but there is something bizarro going on at the back of the LC that ruins it for me. But nearly everyone I've known that drives a Lexus is an accountant or married to one, it speaks volumes and I dont know that I could afford to throw out my wardrobe and replace it with brown suits if I was to buy a Lexus.

What a happy conundrum. Hard to go to something plain once you've had an XK. If you can do without the beauty of the coupe, the XE S is a truly awesome car to drive.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

lexus is not for me. I have the car I love.
But this is like no lexus before.

Also, they are practically free, because you get your money back.
But you have to have the money to lay out. Thus fortune favoring the bold.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
LOVE the look except for the life of me I can't figure out who approved that disgusting grill design
Its a cultural thing.
Toyota decided they were going to lead instead of follow.
This is what resonates in that culture.
Funny thing is that they have convinced this culture too.
Its really meant to appeal to the younger crowd.
Can you see they are trying to push you out.
The best you can do is buy something that lets you stay and demonstrates effort.

Besides if you can hand stitch a leather interior you can improve that grille

Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
lexus is not for me. I have the car I love.
But this is like no lexus before.

Also, they are practically free, because you get your money back.
But you have to have the money to lay out. Thus fortune favoring the bold.
Are they really maintaining their value that well? That LC hasn't been out very long. Saw it at the auto show and it has a real presence to it. Interior well done.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Are they really maintaining their value that well? That LC hasn't been out very long. Saw it at the auto show and it has a real presence to it. Interior well done.
This one will actually increase in valve. Mark me.
Just like the FJ Cruiser, Supra and LFA

They have a crazy cult following. Beyond that their market size is huge. So anytime Toyota releases something that is not a 4 door sedan and actually has some ***** to it. Its considered a gift from god.

This one is 471 hp. And it gives the LFA placebo.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Ugly, not as ugly as the LFA, but still ugly! as is the entire Lexus lineup. Their quality may be top notch, but their styling (exterior) leaves much to be desired, and after all the beauty of a car is what all of us are drawn to first.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Ugly, not as ugly as the LFA, but still ugly! as is the entire Lexus lineup.
I like the styling of the LFA actually...

Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
This one will actually increase in valve. Mark me.
Just like the FJ Cruiser, Supra and LFA

They have a crazy cult following. Beyond that their market size is huge. So anytime Toyota releases something that is not a 4 door sedan and actually has some ***** to it. Its considered a gift from god.

This one is 471 hp. And it gives the LFA placebo.
I think eventually it will have to go up in value just because of the rarity, but the LFA doesn't seem to have become the instant collector's item it was expected to be. I remember not long ago reading about dealers having 3-4 year old new stock. I think people with that kind of money still haven't taken to the idea of spending it on a Japanese car. The new NSX also hasn't fared well at almost $200k and can even be bought new at a discount right now. This in contrast to almost any new Ferrari or something like the Ford GT for which people are willing to jump through all sorts of hoops just to pay full price plus a huge dealer premium.

That said, the "cult following" is indeed there for some of the lower-end Japanese performance cars favored by tuners. I had a '91 Acura Integra that I bought new for $10k. Ten years and 180k miles later, it got rear-ended, and the insurance company totaled it for $5k(!) because that was the going price for them in the wake of the Fast and Furious movies.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Banned

Looks like BMW made a quiet change in their line-up. They discontinued their 6 series 2 door coupe and will replace it with a newer 8 series. Looks a bit like the XK in what little they show here. I like the 4 door of the 6 a lot, the 2 door has a LOT to be desired and their interiors just look awful especially if you compare it to that new Lexus -

Here's the New BMW 8 Series in All its Camouflaged Glory

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Well you have come to the logical conclusion that a 5l XKR or XK is the best thing for you and your budget.

It is an entirely different car than what you previously had.
The difference is that the NA 4.2 was on the border of being a sports car. Some would argue that not even that- its more a tourer. The 4.2 was a sports car but not in the league of modern supercar, more of a barnstormer without the aid of modern handling. The 5L XKR is all that and firmly in supercar territory, most crucially, it has the space-grace-and pace formula I think you are after.

By that metric the M6 is a joke, residual values tell the real story. Frankly, I dont know many cars that fit that formula and dont cost 5 times as much. Even the Ftype misses that mark.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
I think eventually it will have to go up in value just because of the rarity, but the LFA doesn't seem to have become the instant collector's item it was expected to be. I remember not long ago reading about dealers having 3-4 year old new stock. I think people with that kind of money still haven't taken to the idea of spending it on a Japanese car. The new NSX also hasn't fared well at almost $200k and can even be bought new at a discount right now. This in contrast to almost any new Ferrari or something like the Ford GT for which people are willing to jump through all sorts of hoops just to pay full price plus a huge dealer premium.

That said, the "cult following" is indeed there for some of the lower-end Japanese performance cars favored by tuners. I had a '91 Acura Integra that I bought new for $10k. Ten years and 180k miles later, it got rear-ended, and the insurance company totaled it for $5k(!) because that was the going price for them in the wake of the Fast and Furious movies.
5 Year old LFAs are selling for more than they did new.
Lexus LFA for Sale Nationwide - Autotrader

The cult following is not just for their lower end cars. Its exponentially greater on their upper end, which there hasnt been that much of.
Now look at what FJ Cruizers are selling for- more than our Jags! and there is tons of it.
Toyota FJ Cruiser for Sale Nationwide - Autotrader

I discovered this subculture when I bought my 40 year old Land Cruizer. I can sell it for $100k any day.

Its crazy. Acura and other Japanese cars have no such base. Its just Toyota and their legendary build quality.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Banned

Q&C - as you well know those LFA prices are "asking prices" not selling prices, those are opportunistic dealers phishing for suckers. I know a couple months ago there were a few LFA's still around on dealer floors at or just under MSRP that were a few years old still on the sales floor. The same game is going on with NSX's where dealers and "early buyers" are hoping to find a sucker to make a buck off of but right now NSX's are not selling, there's no lists, and those hoping to cash in quick will sell for a loss. I can show people asking above MSRP for NSX's that has no relation to what they're selling for.

Toyota does have a few unicorns - I LOVE the 2000GT! WAY ahead of it's time. The prices for older Land Cruisers J40 and the J70 (dad had one) absolutely blew up not sure why the FJ is remotely popular??? In terms of Honda versus Toyota quality I'd put them both on equal and top footing as both have had a lot of great cars and a few not so good (Honda sucked with their Del Sol and any of the recent Acura exterior design work. Toyota had their terrible cars with the last MR2, Echo, all those nasty grills on all their cars recently). Honda had their original NSX which has retained its original value but has stayed at that point for a long time. With regard to resale/collectability limiting numbers has a LOT to do with that - just look at the 2000GT, LFA, most Ferrari's keeping numbers down yet hopefully maintaining a good level of quality is a key factor

For the record I still think both the Carrera GT and the LFA have the sweetest sounding engines I've ever heard even nicer than the Ferrari V-12s.

I know the 4.2 XK isn't a sports car, I knew that when buying it. Got a killer deal on a real gem car, loved it, absolutely no regrets nor ever wanted/needed more power. IF I can get a great deal on a 5.0SC I'll do so as the buyers market is better for that car if not that's fine too. Fell in love with the body of the XK and the reliability what paramount to me as will be my next endeavor

Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

I went from a 4.2 XF to a 5.0 and really didnt notice that much performance difference (save that I didnt like the exhaust in the 5.0 as much). But going from the 5.0 XF (or a 4.2) to the 5.0 XKR was an insane difference. They are like completely different cars, if you try to drive them the same you'll wrap the XKR around a tree (but probably be laughing as you do it).

Enjoy the search!

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

My local dealer has a 5.0 XKR I plan to check out soon. That is on "the list". It's not the color combo I would actually buy, but most likely I would buy a car from another locale and have it shipped. I just can't seem to warm up the F Type's styling, I would really like to as that seems like a no brainer choice.

I test drove an '05 Maserati GranSport over the weekend. This example was a little beat up, but it ran well for 70k miles. No center arm rest was a draw back. I just love the styling of the GranSport over the GranTurismo and feel the GranSport prices have bottomed out and should stay level for well maintained examples from here on in.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
The prices for older Land Cruisers J40 and the J70 (dad had one) absolutely blew up not sure why the FJ is remotely popular???
In many Continents- Australia, South America, Middle East, Asia, Africa; The FJ40 was the ONLY car one could use for the longest time. Brutal conditions, impossible roads and total lack of service garages. Its still the case today in most of these continents sans Asia. It built those continents and established a deep rooted confidence that the Land Cruiser was better built and designed than tanks from the same era. Thats why they are still around- in plentiful. Its the car that put Toyota on the map and on to becoming the largest car manufacturer.

When you buy a Bell Air you are not buying the best example of manufacturing nor design. When you buy a FJ40 its from an era when manufacturing and design were at its absolute zenith. Small example, I have 5 drain plugs, each one is 24mm. Does the gas tank need a 24mm bolt, yes if you have just driven through a river, you can drain all the fluids with one wrench and keep driving.

Ask Etype owners, they will tell you there were areas of this car that were rust buckets, or not the best steel in the world used, or some known engine weakness. None whatsoever in the FJ40.

REGARDLESS, you should have more faith in the masses. I think those are the two questions you asked.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

GET THIS!

Chris Berman's wife who died in a car crash yesterday....
She was driving the aforementioned 2003 lexus sc430 coupe.
All that happened was that she hit the rear of a Ford Explorer- killing its driver too.

In this regard performance cars are safer because one is more vigilant as a result of being connected.