XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Solution sought: 'Portable Audio' outage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Solution sought: 'Portable Audio' outage?

Here's a quick question for you all... I am up and running with my iPhone and USB drive, both work flawlessly 99% of the time. But occasionally I'll get in the car and the system simply won't play any music from either device. Shows them as choices, but hitting the play button does nothing, zero sound from either device. Switch car off, on, remove and reinsert devices, same problem.

Only after leaving the car overnight will the car resume normal function, without any intervention. During these 'outages', I've tried re-pairing, removing USB drive, getting in and out of the car for a few minutes, locking it, etc., all to no avail. Seems to only reset after some considerable amount of time, and always resolves itself on its own.

Does anyone know of a way to force the reset that is occurring when I wait overnight? If this happens at the beginning of a long road trip, I'd hate to be without 'portable audio' for a full day of travel... Note that CD player, radio, sat radio all work fine throughout.

Any solutions welcomed,

Skeeter

Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I had this sort of thing happen to me once for the Satellite Radio. Just decided that it couldn't get a signal... I was driving 20 miles at the time -- not a once did it get a signal again. I got to my destination and was in there maybe 10 minutes. Came back out and everything was fine. Never happened to me again, and hasn't happened with the iPod. Mind you, the Satellite presets still occasionally all reset to 'preview' on 7-12 and 13-18. But not the first 6. <helpless shrug>

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM

Yeah, if the car resets on its own, over time, I'm hoping there is some way to initiate that process in some manner to spare us the wait. Like some combination of ignition/start/off series, cars seem to have many such hidden features...

Maybe a shop technician might have a tip, I'll add it to my list for next servicing. And on that topic, ow cool is it to only have one service per year? Loving that...

Skeeter

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is only the ACM that is not working, then I would suggest unplugging the ACM unit for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. Mine has locked up a couple times and that is how I fixed it.

Edit: I just re-read your post and see that you have a newer model. I assume the ACM function is built into your model.

Last edited by fstick09; 03-19-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

It is the USB interface and the iPhone interface that (occasionally) fail. Happened to me yesterday in fact. I was driving, listening to music on my iPhone, then parked and went into a store. Came out five minutes later, no music. Hit the audio menu, it showed the track name that had been playing on the iPhone, but no music. Hitting 'play' does nothing. Looking at folders shows me the folders, but I can't select any. Likewise, switching to the USB port shows that it is docked, but also no music and no result to hitting 'play'.

I've tried unplugging and plugging in everything, shutting off and on the systems, rebooting the phone and removing the USB drive. Exiting and locking the car, leaving it for 5-10 minutes, nothing! Always the next morning all is fine, but I'm not sure what else I can try, short of disconnecting the battery, which is a severe fix. Now my 'fix' entails listening to CD's or Satellite Radio... Frustrating but impossible to replicate, and only does it like once a week or two.

Nobody else?

Thanks,

Skeeter

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Skeeter,
That sounds sort of similar to the issue I've had a couple times with my USB drive... it'll be playing something but when I go to navigate the folders, it'll show folders but not allow me to select them, does not allow for scrolling, etc. I've had my car for about a month now and put about 1300 miles on it, and this has happened twice so its pretty rare.

For me, I switched to AM / FM for a few seconds, and then switched back to portable audio... and that seemed to fix it. Honestly if you switched over to CD or Satellite and back and it didn't work, I doubt doing what I did will help either but I figured I'd mention it because it does sound sort of similar.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey guys just a thought. Make sure that you not not have any non-playable audio files on your USB storage device. Also, it is possible that a corrupted file can cause this type of failure. I've seen this happen on other types of play-back devices.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny you mention that... I know that I probably do have some mp3s on there that have some kind of silly copyright infringement protection on them (back from when online sellers thought that would work). The car just skips them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were fouling something up.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Guys, MCP,

I'm pretty confident that isn't the problem because the system will pause and hang mid song on songs that I successfully play on a routine basis so I'm pretty confident that it isn't an issue of bad MP3 file. It does the same thing, hanging BOTH the USB port player as well as the iPhone, at the same time, even if I was only listening to one or the other.

Now that I think of it, it always hangs whenI get back in the car. Never happens mid drive as I'm using the stereo...

Well, lucky me, looks like I'm the only one with this problem.

thanks for the suggestions,

Skeeter