Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Very, very well done! Congratulations.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-03-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats!

Just prepare for a little extra attention wherever you go. Regardless of gender or age, it feels like everybody is rubbernecking or coming up to you to ask about the car. This may of course lead to Inflated Ego Syndrome...

The cure: Give your head a shake, stab the throttle and enjoy the ride!

Sean W (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
In today's world of modern detailing, the wax product is not really needed. Yes, it is a lot of work to hand wax, but did you wax over all the contaminants on the paint surface?

That is the main question.

Do the sandwich baggie test.......if the surface feels like sandpaper, then you just spent all your time embedding the contaminants into the paint surface. The micro abrasiveness of the surface will collect even more. You can't see it, but it is there.

Do the Mustang, and my bet is, you will end up doing the Jaguar all over again. It will be worth every minute doing it.

For the past year, I've used the Nano Skin with Nano Shock followed by a microfiber wipe/buff. No wax.

It gets shiny and very smooth, but after several weeks, the contaminants build back up.

Not sure if a paint sealant would help keep the grit from sticking, but maybe its worth looking into.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I would suggest to strip the wax from the surface.

Using a detergent like Dawn dishwashing soap will do the job. Then follow my process above.

If you use the same process above and apply a nano ceramic paint coating after polishing, you will not need to use a wax product. The shine and reflective qualities will be excellent, and water beading is fantastic.

The nano skin wash mitt is the key to a glass like smooth paint finish. Using a clay bar is old school.

Place a thin sandwich baggie over your hand and slide it over the surface of the paint. If the surface feels like sandpaper, you need to nano skin the paint. This process will prove there are contaminants on the paint surface. You will feel it.

The mitt will eliminate all of the rough surface of the paint and turn into a glass like finish.

These mitts are the latest technology in automotive detailing as well as a paint coating or paint sealant.

If you wish to use a paint sealant, I highly suggest Blackfire Crystal Paint Seal These products are so easy to use.

BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant, best paint sealant, paint sealer

It would be my hope that any Jaguar owner that reads this post, apply these detail techniques to achieve an outstanding quality
DIY detail job. I would guarantee you will not be disappointed with the results.

I'm sure I'll **** someone off with these comments. Nothing wrong with old school. (Clay Bar and Wax). Even Pinnacle suggests using clay bar before applying their nano chemicals. Clay bar is quick and easy. It works for me and I don't mind the labor.

Regarding nanotechnology, I'll pass on exposing my lungs to nano chemicals where possible.

I realize there are a lot of products made with nano technology and exposure is sometime unavoidable because you don't always know the product you have contains nano's.

I know of no respirator that protects your lungs against inhalation of nano chemicals. There aren't enough medical studies to support or dispute my fear or call it rational/ irrational. The tech isn't new but the unknowns are too great for my comfort level.

So have at it, enjoy the results, I'm sure it's beautiful. I won't judge if you don't. I wish you nothing but the best.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Sean W:

The Nanoskin glove has no chemicals. None. Check it out. Do your research. Clay bar is old school.

The Nanoskin glove will complete up to 25 applications. The cost of 25 fine grade clay bars exceeds the cost of the Nanoskin glove by a wide margin. $125.00 vs $40 for the glove.

If you drop the clay bar on any surface, it should be discarded. The Nanoskin glove can be rinsed and reused.

Make sure you complete your research.

Google: Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt Autogeek

Available at Amazon for about $40.00

You're breathing chemicals every day in your daily life. I am sure you cannot find any evidence that applying a nano ceramic paint coating to a car has caused any deaths or illnesses.

And NO, you did not **** me off. I have detailed many expensive and rare classic cars using my method. It works, and the results are stunning.

This forum is not about "telling people what to do". It's about helping others with solid ideas, experiences, and proven techniques.

It's your car. Do whatever you wish.

Last edited by richzak; 05-05-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yes yes, to be clear, I do in fact research before I type or, qualify the extent of my knowledge which I believe I did. I also acknowledged available data is limited. I didn't say or otherwise imply use of these fine products would cause death. No need for hyperbole.

Again, for the sake of clarity, I was referring to the ceramic coating, which utilizes nano chemicals, not the mitt.

What I've researched in the past, unrelated to this particular post, are both the benefits and potential harm that can be had by the use of nano technology, of all types. There isn't enough information at present to know if harm will come and certainly not enough time has passed. I'm not waiting on OSHA to tell me.

Enough said for me anyway.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I just did my 300c black Chrysler with Nano Skin and Nano Shock. Dang! I wish I had discovered this stuff earlier.
I had given up on doing my own detailing (age 78) because it was just too much work. The detailer I have been using was not so hot so I decided to have a crack at it myself. Now lets see how long it lasts.

Last edited by user 2029223; 04-15-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
I just did my 300c black Chrysler with Nano Skin and Nano Shock. Dang! I wish I had discovered this stuff earlier.
I had given up on doing my own detailing (age 78) because it was just too much work. The detailer I have been using was not so hot so I decided to have a crack at it myself. Now lets see how long it lasts.
Richard is the expert and I think he's indicated it's good for a few years. There's no doubt his cars look stunning.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Richard. Does the nano skin fill in any imperfections such as clear coat that is missing. Just wondering as the OP said that the dealer recommended a respray of the bumper. I have been reading about these new products and have not come across these answers. Any info would be appreciated by the masses.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hare
Richard. Does the nano skin fill in any imperfections such as clear coat that is missing. Just wondering as the OP said that the dealer recommended a respray of the bumper. I have been reading about these new products and have not come across these answers. Any info would be appreciated by the masses.
I was wondering much the same. The imperfections in my paint are concealed well with black wax, however wax must be removed to apply the product. I haven't read of a colored nanoskin, but await to hear from Richard.

Hare - digging the dark side of the moon avatar

Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Hare - digging the dark side of the moon avatar
Thanks
Tis my most favorite album of all time.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Nano skin is an improved replacement for clay bar and removes paint contamination using a lubricant and the pad. Nano Shock is a sealant and will not fill in fine scratches in the clearcoat. Use it as a step between waxing. Similar to a detailer spray. That is my understand reading the nanoskin website info.

Sean W (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I know of no respirator that protects your lungs against inhalation of nano chemicals. There aren't enough medical studies to support or dispute my fear or call it rational/ irrational. The tech isn't new but the unknowns are too great for my comfort level.
I have never heard this line of reasoning so thanks for making me aware. Personally I have no trepidation with using the product as I am a casual user, if I were a professional detailer and had continuous exposure throughout the day then I would have concerns. Or if i worked in the factory that made the stuff. On a side note I switched away from using Teflon in my cookware 10 years ago as I watch the non-stick pans wear away and realized it is right into my system. Now I use quality metal cookware without non-stick surface, I won't say which one because I know that some "experts of all things" will start a debate on what the right way to go on that is! So it isn't like I am unaware of exposure to potentially toxic build-up.

I work in industrial automation and have been in 1000 factories of all types over my years. One that always stood out was the pressure treating industry, the wood you buy in Home Depot and Lowes. Previously they used an arsenic based chemical to treat, I would watch guys in the backwoods of nowhere pulling dripping wet pallets of wood from the treater with no gloves, respirator, or protection. Some have been in that position for 40 years. No ill effects...yet they banned the chemical and moved to a Copper based treating chemical because of the danger of arsenic in playgrounds, etc. It makes sense, perhaps it is alarmist, perhaps not.

Sean W (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

"Nano" has just become a buzz word. My thoughts as I retired from the semi-conductor mfg. environment.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
I have never heard this line of reasoning so thanks for making me aware. Personally I have no trepidation with using the product as I am a casual user, if I were a professional detailer and had continuous exposure throughout the day then I would have concerns. Or if i worked in the factory that made the stuff. On a side note I switched away from using Teflon in my cookware 10 years ago as I watch the non-stick pans wear away and realized it is right into my system. Now I use quality metal cookware without non-stick surface, I won't say which one because I know that some "experts of all things" will start a debate on what the right way to go on that is! So it isn't like I am unaware of exposure to potentially toxic build-up.

I work in industrial automation and have been in 1000 factories of all types over my years. One that always stood out was the pressure treating industry, the wood you buy in Home Depot and Lowes. Previously they used an arsenic based chemical to treat, I would watch guys in the backwoods of nowhere pulling dripping wet pallets of wood from the treater with no gloves, respirator, or protection. Some have been in that position for 40 years. No ill effects...yet they banned the chemical and moved to a Copper based treating chemical because of the danger of arsenic in playgrounds, etc. It makes sense, perhaps it is alarmist, perhaps not.
Sure, I understand and don't like playing the role of an alarmist. I see more and more great things coming from nano tech, especially in the medical field.

You read new things every day. I recently read J&J is involved in a class action lawsuit claiming their talcum powder causes cervical cancer. Hasn't that stuff been around over 100 years?

Lead used in plumbing for decades is another example. What was once thought harmless, now known otherwise.

Asbestos, same thing.

Seemingly harmless latex paint. No mask, you are inhaling plastic when you paint your walls. Are we dying off from it? No certainly not.

Nano Tech is too new to know what can happen. Whether you get sick from it casual use (I doubt it), long term exposure, or never is another matter. I won't use it, but would consider paying a pro because the results are so impressive.

Just some context, but please, I'm not suggesting people avoid it. I'm merely pointing out it's not for me.

Just how small is “nano?” In the International System of Units, the prefix "nano" means one-billionth, or 10-9; therefore one nanometer is one-billionth of a meter. It’s difficult to imagine just how small that is, so here are some examples:

A sheet of paper is about 100,000 nanometers thick
A strand of human DNA is 2.5 nanometers in diameter
There are 25,400,000 nanometers in one inch
A human hair is approximately 80,000- 100,000 nanometers wide
A single gold atom is about a third of a nanometer in diameter
On a comparative scale, if the diameter of a marble was one nanometer, then diameter of the Earth would be about one meter
One nanometer is about as long as your fingernail grows in one second

Last edited by Sean W; 04-16-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I don't paint you as alarmist at all, anymore than I am about Teflon in cookware. It is easy to avoid exposure and you are doing so, it is all good!

In future years when people have discovered that they nano-coated the inside of their lungs during casual home use and therefore had 2 years of continued exposure we can come back and update this subject! You are very right, you cannot know long term effects.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I recon that there are many things out there that really are a threat. I submit, however, that most are bogie men ginned up by a "jack pot" justice system driven by trial attorneys. Incidentally, most of the cash won in these bone head awards goes to the law firms and the public gets screwed.

Ever wonder what happened to rural drug stores in Mississippi? Sorry if this post hijacks this thread.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Wow....I'm amazed how this old thread came back to life! For me... My clay bar at every detailing keeps all my cars looking like new.