XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Something must be "wrong" with my XK...but I LOVE it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Something must be "wrong" with my XK...but I LOVE it!

Hi,

some might have read the thread in the European section about the tour to the Nürburgring, which I unfortunately couldn't attend.
Therefore I used the class reunion last weekend to take the cat up and down the hills in the black forest - and on the drive home over the autobahn, I really gave it the spurs.

Since the mountain roads had some nasty 180 degree uphill curves; I switched into Sport- / Dynamic-Mode. And I really was pushing the car. Meaning braking hard for the curves and full on the throttle again. (of course the roads were surprisingly empty which allowed it - some of the roads were previously used for racing events)
I added a screen shot of the starting road (one of several, since I was going up and down again), but it really doesn't do the road justice, since it so much more in real live.

Well here was the first surprise with the XK: after completing the runs and getting read for the trip home, I filled it up again. And it was true what the BC said. For the driven distance and the used up gas, it really took only 11,3l / 100 Km.
Seeing how hard I was on the gas I was absolutely speechless about this great numbers.

But then I figured, well maybe the downhill parts were beneficial to that and expected worse going to the autobahn.

There again was only light traffic and I drove a relaxed (it truly is with this car) 190 - 220 km/h (118 - 137 miles per hour). After 450 Km, I stopped for refueling and again, the consumption was at 11,63l / 100 Km.
I have nor idea how it managed this. Normally, in traffic, I drive about 130 km/h (80 miles/hour) and it takes about 10,5l...

I can only assume, that the 3250 rpm (which equal 190 km/h) are a highly efficient range for this engine.
Anybody with the same experience?

I know for sure, that with this kind of driving each Porsche I know uses up more fuel than that, not to speak of slightly older BMWs...
So, whatever it is, I LOVE it!!!

Attached Thumbnails Something must be "wrong" with my XK...but I LOVE it!-bildschirmfoto-2013-04-15-um-12.15.34.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PercyPickwick
Hi,

some might have read the thread in the European section about the tour to the Nürburgring, which I unfortunately couldn't attend.
Therefore I used the class reunion last weekend to take the cat up and down the hills in the black forest - and on the drive home over the autobahn, I really gave it the spurs.

Since the mountain roads had some nasty 180 degree uphill curves; I switched into Sport- / Dynamic-Mode. And I really was pushing the car. Meaning braking hard for the curves and full on the throttle again. (of course the roads were surprisingly empty which allowed it - some of the roads were previously used for racing events)
I added a screen shot of the starting road (one of several, since I was going up and down again), but it really doesn't do the road justice, since it so much more in real live.

Well here was the first surprise with the XK: after completing the runs and getting read for the trip home, I filled it up again. And it was true what the BC said. For the driven distance and the used up gas, it really took only 11,3l / 100 Km.
Seeing how hard I was on the gas I was absolutely speechless about this great numbers.

But then I figured, well maybe the downhill parts were beneficial to that and expected worse going to the autobahn.

There again was only light traffic and I drove a relaxed (it truly is with this car) 190 - 220 km/h (118 - 137 miles per hour). After 450 Km, I stopped for refueling and again, the consumption was at 11,63l / 100 Km.
I have nor idea how it managed this. Normally, in traffic, I drive about 130 km/h (80 miles/hour) and it takes about 10,5l...

I can only assume, that the 3250 rpm (which equal 190 km/h) are a highly efficient range for this engine.

I know for sure, that with this kind of driving each Porsche I know uses up more fuel than that, not to speak of slightly older BMWs...
what is your average gas mileage, i have 16.4 liters myself....i enjoyed reading your post, thanks. I know it sounds stupid to ask you wrote it down but i was wandering normally?

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it.

Normally I drive it with 10.5 to 11l/100 km. That of course depends strongly on the driving style. With about 50% city traffic, I normally have an average of 11.2l.

On country roads (where you can't drive more than 100 km/h in Germany) I managed to have an average of 8.5l.

But like I wrote, I'm still surprised about this figures. On Tuesday I tried to see, if they are still in this area - and they are. I had a 100 Km run against / with a Mercedes CL AMG. Although a bit higher (around 12.5l, but I guess the reason for this is, that I had to break and speed up again fairly often) I think they are still very acceptable numbers.
But I have to point out, that we mostly stayed in the 200 km/h range. I just recently read, that going higher than that would increase the consumption by 30% for every 25 km/h more.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Great write up Percy...

You are making all those Merc owners jealous...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you enjoyed it.

Normally I drive it with 10.5 to 11l/100 km. That of course depends strongly on the driving style. With about 50% city traffic, I normally have an average of 11.2l.

On country roads (where you can't drive more than 100 km/h in Germany) I managed to have an average of 8.5l.

But like I wrote, I'm still surprised about this figures. On Tuesday I tried to see, if they are still in this area - and they are. I had a 100 Km run against / with a Mercedes CL AMG. Although a bit higher (around 12.5l, but I guess the reason for this is, that I had to break and speed up again fairly often) I think they are still very acceptable numbers.
But I have to point out, that we mostly stayed in the 200 km/h range. I just recently read, that going higher than that would increase the consumption by 30% for every 25 km/h more.
how do you explain i am at 16.2 liter / 100 km myself, i do half freeway at 130 km and half city?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I'm at 23L per 100km! But it's mostly short drives in the city...

Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I'm at 23L per 100km! But it's mostly short drives in the city...
thanks Alan, i do accelerate often i must say and it goes fast with the 5 liter..i mean the fuel..so maybe 16 is good indeed then...

Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hi,

so speed is cheap or ....lol...your engine is in good shape....damn...