XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sort of new XKR owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sort of new XKR owner

Figure I should post sooner or later. Great forum, thanks for being here)) I bought an 07 XKR Convertible in May of 2023 with 42k on her. At 51k 10 months later and still in love. Her name is Seras. 4th owner with the original owner allegedly being Mr. King. She came with a signed book: Mr. Mercedes. I like to imagine he thought about ideas for that book while being behind the wheel of Seras. 2nd and 3rd owner purchased her at the Mecum Car Auction in Florida. There's a video of her being sold to the guy I bought her from, pretty cool to see her on a stage rolling through.

Have had some work done on her, mainly control arms. All of them but 1, and that one has to be done soon sadly. The squeaking noise very annoying. Hope it's a control arm and not a shock or spring or something. Left rear squeaked a little bit and a new control arm fixed it. Right rear is squeaking like a gosh darn broken violin. It's bad. Drives me nuts. Turn up the music, not a problem. Come top down weather, no way I'm putting up with it. Will need a belt soon too, as it's starting to squawk. Minor issues here and there, looking to find a new glovebox for a reasonable price as she needs one. I put Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s on og 19 inch rims on her. New brakes last year as well. Thinking about a tune, maybe trying to figure out how to remove the speed limiter as I know she can do more. Such a fun, sexy car and was pleasantly surprised at how great the sound of the sound system is. Great bass. Got a couple of pics soon after I bought her. I recommend a sheep seat belt cover and a neck pillow. I do that on every car.

Edit: one of the first things I did was remove the antenna fuse, made too much wind noise top down. I don't need the radio. Planning to do TheJagWrangler Bluetooth mod as well as the Convertible Top Remote Control mod in the near future.

Originally I was in the market for a late 2000s early 2010s 3 series convertible with a 6 speed. Somehow I ended up with this, and I have no regrets. I walk by her and still can't believe she's mine.

The rear glass was in sad shape and leaked. Have some stains on the inner part of the top. Looking for recommendations on how to remove those stains. Thinking one of those wet pet vac things might work. I redid the seal, got a compliment from the jag shop on a job well done when I took her in for service. No leaks since. Treated the top with a waterproofer also. Thinking about vinyl wrapping her to preserve the paint. Not sure on that.

The Florida heat did a number on her. A small section of the rear interior panel clearly overheated and melted. No idea how to fix that aside from replacing that whole rear section which isn't happening. A lot of the interior plastics are very brittle. Both handles that tilt the seat forward broke within the first 2 months of ownership. Wish those were made of brushed aluminum, not cheap plastic. Passenger side window switch panel tabs broke 4 months in, just a passenger trying to put up the window and poof, broken tabs. Such is life.

Intermittent vibration felt in the wheel. Not sure what's causing it. She rides great most of the time but sometimes the vibration rears its head. I feel like it happens only after I get to high speeds and get back down again. Maybe the suspension switches modes when it gets to certain speeds and that causes it. Just a hypothesis.

Couple of quirky things. Feel free to have a laugh at my expense.
1) Not being used to the pushbutton start I left her on but not running for several hours. As I left work I tried to unlock the car. No bueno. She was dead. Attempted to charge her using a trickle charger that happened to be at work. That trickle charger kept thinking the battery was 6 volt and wouldn't charge beyond that. AAA saved my butt, she started right up.
2) Was leaving work again. Started her and absentmindedly left all my keys on the passenger seat with her warming up. Went back into the office. A few minutes later I was planning on leaving. She was locked. Read up on some threads on this fantastic forum. This is a thing apparently. So PSA, don't leave your keys in the car and get out, she will lock you out. I begged the last remaining coworker to drive me 20 mins each way to grab the second key. She was idling for an hour straight. Got the key and got in. Everything ok aside from the embarrassment.

The two on the left are also mine. 07 Element 5spd and 2014 cruze 6spd.

I was leaving Costco one time. Yay for cheap premium gas. A guy walks up to me all smiling. He said his wife had the same exact car, same color and everything, except with a 5.0 and a hardtop. Cool dude. He said he always has trouble keeping the wheels from not spinning.

Was driving home from work one time in the summer. Saw a dude in a 2017 F-Type. Both top down. Pulled up next to him. We had a pleasant chat at the light.

Grew out my hair for the first time in my life to shoulder length just to get that wind through the hair feeling top down. Worth it.

A couple of weeks ago was looking underneath trying to figure out where that previously mentioned right rear squeaking noise was coming from. Saw something dangling. Turns out it was the right rear exhaust modulator valve actuator just chilling hanging on by the wire. Metal bracket that is supposed to house it disappeared. Currently held on by zip ties. Guess a new bracket and some welding is in order.

When I was 16 (2004 ish) or so I found a British Racing Green Jaguar Sovereign for sale cheap and I wanted it as my first car. Parent's insurance company said they wouldn't insure it because they considered it a sports car. I had a good laugh. Ended up with a 5 spd 1993 Audi 90 CS. Apparently not considered a sports car. She died in less than a year due to constant overheating. I did almost crash her into my parent's house 3 weeks after I got her doing 90 in a 35 (mph). It was just after my 17th birthday. Probably didn't help, and yes, not my brightest moment.

Last edited by heshagan; 03-23-2024 at 01:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
McJag222 (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

Looks in good shape.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Salsa!
But, but, but, is that a booger on her nose?

The following 3 users liked this post by kj07xk:
arenaej (03-23-2024), guy (03-25-2024), V7Sport (03-23-2024)