XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Spare Tire Survey

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I had to use mine only once and it was great that I had it. Unfortunately got a sheet rock screw in the edge of the rear tire. I installed the spare and took the tire to the tire center. Had to replace both rear tires as I did not want the OEM Dunlop's. The tire was unrepairable due to the location of the screw. Seem to recall it cost me around $800 . Considering the spare came with the car I kept it in it.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Received 341 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTimeGuy
AAA does not offer changing flat tire as part of their service. They will tow you to a repair garage though.
I found this out the hard way. Only Tow Truck available at 1:30 AM in the morning was a tow truck company contracted through California Highway Patrol. What was the final cost for my TOW JOB ONLY? $295.00!!! All other tow truck companies average a charge of $100. The tire still had to be repaired at the tire shop the next day and I had to pay $77 for taxi from home to shop. Moral to the story? Keep the spare tire and jack in your car. CHANGE IT YOURSELF!!!!
I would verify your AAA terms. My membership includes changing the tire for your spare. If the spare isn’t useable, your towing agreement would apply. I think you got taken but at 1:30 AM what can you do.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:05 AM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
I would verify your AAA terms. My membership includes changing the tire for your spare. If the spare isn’t useable, your towing agreement would apply. I think you got taken but at 1:30 AM what can you do.
Exactly the same as my AAA benefits. Sounds like someone got bamboozled.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 341 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Continental tire Total Confidence Plan

I just bought 4 new Continental tires for my wife’s Avalon. To my surprise , Continental provides 3 years of 24/7 coverage for changing to the spare or towing up to 150 miles if the spare is unusable or you have more than one flat tire. I have AAA as a first choice of course.
Applies to flats only, not mechanical problems with the car but suppose you could poke a hole in 2 tires to cover the tow if you were desperate 😁

Old 11-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
I just bought 4 new Continental tires for my wife’s Avalon. To my surprise , Continental provides 3 years of 24/7 coverage for changing to the spare or towing up to 150 miles if the spare is unusable or you have more than one flat tire. I have AAA as a first choice of course.
Applies to flats only, not mechanical problems with the car but suppose you could poke a hole in 2 tires to cover the tow if you were desperate 😁
Very cool info, so many organization offer some type of tire or roadside. I have Samsclub and they have a Roadside for tires bought from them. Also with membership they will fix a flat (unmount tire, repair, remount) for free once per tire regardless of where you bought the tire. Not to be confused with roadside flat service of course, for that you have to get the tires from them.

My Jag CPO while in effect had roadside along with what I still have with my IAS tire program. So did my Jeep Mopar plan, I believe I might have a benefit from one or more of my credit cards. Not even sure I need AAA anymore with this hodge-podge of coverage from all these folks yet I keep renewing?

Old 11-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

I've heard enough...the spares back in the back! It is a GT so sooner or later I want to do a descent size road trip. Put it back so now I can forget about it. yeah my tire is still inflated near max too after 12 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by kazi:
Cee Jay (11-08-2020), tampamark (11-09-2020)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, on the topic of creating more room in the trunk: Why is there a half foot of space over the spare tire? Was the Jag ever designed for a full size wheel in the trunk? Does anyone have a trunk floor (the panel that covers the spare) that sits on the lower ridge that I'm pointing to in the picture? My trunk floor sits on the upper ridge in the second picture, and in so doing, leaves a lot of unavailable empty space that I would like to reclaim for cases of beer, another corpse or other stuff traditionally stowed there.

Does the floor of your trunk use this lower lip?

Why does Jag use the upper lip that prevents the floor from laying flat and making a big empty space between the spare and the floor?

Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by jagophile
Well, on the topic of creating more room in the trunk: Why is there a half foot of space over the spare tire? Was the Jag ever designed for a full size wheel in the trunk? Does anyone have a trunk floor (the panel that covers the spare) that sits on the lower ridge that I'm pointing to in the picture? My trunk floor sits on the upper ridge in the second picture, and in so doing, leaves a lot of unavailable empty space that I would like to reclaim for cases of beer, another corpse or other stuff traditionally stowed there.

Why does Jag use the upper lip that prevents the floor from laying flat and making a big empty space between the spare and the floor?
Dunno, man. My convertible has about one inch between the spare/foam form and the bottom of the boot floor. Maybe the Coupes are different?
Course, XKs were designed as convertibles first and coupes a design change from there, so maybe that's what engineers came up with?
Pic is with the floor lowered far as I can while still take a picture.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:11 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kazi
I've heard enough...the spares back in the back! It is a GT so sooner or later I want to do a descent size road trip. Put it back so now I can forget about it. yeah my tire is still inflated near max too after 12 years.
Good call. I needed it once and it was clutch. Also needed it today, but didn't have a spacer for the rear. Had to pay $170 for a tow just because of a damn flat.

Lesson learned! Spacer ordered!

The following 4 users liked this post by gkubrak:
Bill Mack (01-18-2021), Cee Jay (01-17-2021), ralphwg (01-18-2021), V7Sport (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:18 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

interesting, with my road side assistance plan the car is always flat bedded to my preferred maintenance shop, without charge.
The number of times I’ve used that to send the car in for an oil change... And the dealer delivering that car back...

Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Good call. I needed it once and it was clutch. Also needed it today, but didn't have a spacer for the rear. Had to pay $170 for a tow just because of a damn flat.

Lesson learned! Spacer ordered!
What did you need a spacer for to put the spare on? Want to make sure I don't need one.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jagophile

No gap for me either.

No gap for me either.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 PM

What did you need a spacer for to put the spare on? Want to make sure I don't need one.
If you have Alcon brakes on your XKR the spare tire will not fit the rear without a spacer.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

If your car came from the factory with a spare, you don't need a spacer.

A spacer is needed only if your XKR has the Alcon Performance Brake Package and you added a spare from an XJ SuperSport. See my Post #3 at the beginning of this thread.

Alcon brake XKRs came from the factory without a spare because Jaguar didn't have one at that time that fit over the oversize Alcon rotors. Alcons were standard equipment on the 2008 XKR Portfolio models and a $5,000 option on the 2009 XKR Portfolios. After the 5.0L XJ (X351) models were introduced, Forum member Brutal told me that the spare from the XJ SuperSport would fit the front, but a spacer is needed to clear the rear rotor.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:40 PM

How are the alcons compared to standards? Its the only brake upgrade ive seen so far. The standard brakes are adequate imo but I feel like theres room for improvement.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

How are the alcons compared to standards? Its the only brake upgrade ive seen so far. The standard brakes are adequate imo but I feel like theres room for improvement.
See this thread beginning with Post #8 and jahummer's comments:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...andard-179952/

Unless you track your car and want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your car, the high cost to modify your car with Alcons isn't worth the benefit. Some of the parts - brackets and parking brake - are hard to find. And the stock brakes and pads work great for street use.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
See this thread beginning with Post #8 and jahummer's comments:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...andard-179952/

Unless you track your car and want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your car, the high cost to modify your car with Alcons isn't worth the benefit. Some of the parts - brackets and parking brake - are hard to find. And the stock brakes and pads work great for street use.
True. But if you want better stopping performance, get stickier/newer/better TIRES. Brakes stop the rotor, rotor stops the hub, hub stops the wheel, wheel stops the tire, tire stops the Car

Old 01-19-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
True. But if you want better stopping performance, get stickier/newer/better TIRES. Brakes stop the rotor, rotor stops the hub, hub stops the wheel, wheel stops the tire, tire stops the Car
Then my car will be stopping better soon. My tires are almost 7 years old and hard. I'm procrastinating because the tread is above 50%, but want a new set before summer. I've spent most of my life buying 33"-35" all-terrains or mudders so I'm excited to feel the difference between good and bad tires on this car. I didn't know they existed until a couple of months ago, but I will probably be buying "summer" tires for the first time.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Then my car will be stopping better soon. My tires are almost 7 years old and hard. I'm procrastinating because the tread is above 50%, but want a new set before summer. I've spent most of my life buying 33"-35" all-terrains or mudders so I'm excited to feel the difference between good and bad tires on this car. I didn't know they existed until a couple of months ago, but I will probably be buying "summer" tires for the first time.
Yeah, but it is so much fun finding the perfect, aggressive knobby tread pattern that looks properly bad-***!

Some of the sports car tires are pretty cool with the directional tread and such, but I find boring compared to 33/35 shopping.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:57 PM

All other factors being equal (tires, weight, road conditions, etc..) I'll bet the Alcons will yield a shorter stopping distance compared to standard brakes.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Survey