XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Stance setup help for 07 XKR.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stance setup help for 07 XKR.

Hi I am fairly new to the forums and just had my 07XKR for a month now, but as with every other car i have owned i just cant quite leave it stock

So had a new exhaust fitted and now its time for some stance.

I am looking for some advice on this as i have little experience.

Im looking for the best possible stance on stock wheels which are 20"

I have a choice of 3 lowering springs sets, 2 from Adamesh one lowers by 25mm other by 35mm (H&R) and a Spires set claiming to lower by 20mm.

What do you think will be the best option to get the car nice and low without major rubbing issues (dont mind an occasional rub on full lock etc)

Also i want to give the car a wider stance, i did some research and car is using 5x108 63.4 centre so im looking at hubcentric spacers.

What do you think is the maximum mm spacing for the front and rear? i was thinking 15mm Front 20mm back but its just a guess, and keep in mind i will be using the lowering springs too.

Thanks for all your input this is the car as it stands now:

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not much of an expert on Jags, but considering with a car thats not lowered I can't make it out of some driveways, it seems like losing more clearance would be a little foolish. I had lowered one of my mustangs back in the day..and decided to put it back to original clearance because it was such a drag 50% of the time. Of course the other 50% was a lot of fun, as the car handled like a go-cart.....but lowering also beats the crap out of the rest of the car.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I went with Paramount Performance UK lowering springs which are about an 1 inch drop (25mm). There are some more aggressive springs that are 1.5 inch drop but didn't wan to go that low. In the past, I've lowered my C5 Corvette (lowering bolts) and Mercedes (lowered by star diagnostic programming with the air suspension) and had no problems. Typically it does ride harsher but I lower it so it doesn't have the 4x4 look. I go over speed bumps all the time with the Jag at the club with no problems and I do angle in and out of the driveway due to the fact I also have a front splitter on my XKR but you just have to go slow. I've had the lowering springs for 2-3 years now. Here is the PP lowering springs.
Name:  jagvip1.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  108.9 KB
Name:  photo2a.jpg
Views: 3961
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  photo3a.jpg
Views: 3359
Size:  105.1 KB
Name:  b2b.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  outsid2asig-2.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  59.2 KB

Near the end of my friend's vid in my sig below...you can also get a sense of how much of a drop with the PP springs.

The following users liked this post:
Big Grey Cat (03-31-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

So another question, does the Jag have all the correct adjusting points to set alignment back to specs after lowering? Or are kits needed?

Thanks,
Vince

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM

rGreat reply GhostRider thanks!! Love the Pics ! and your JAG

Since I am used to driving lowered cars around Manchester i might go just a tad lower than your XKR, as a matter of fact just yesterday found a full XKR H&R kit that consists of 35mm progressive lowering springs and 4x 20mm hubcentric spacers with longer bolts giving a wider stance 40mm per axle.

No matter what car i have owned i always had a simple rule, Nice stance, Good Exhaust and mods that retain an OEM look.

Fitted a Spires stage 3 active exhaust last weekend and it sounds MENTAL ! (in a good way now its time for the stance will most likely go with H&R as had good experience with this brand in the past

Thats the exhaust: Jaguar XKR 3 Stage Active Exhaust

Other mods i have not yet decided upon is Carbon wrapped side vents (you can get ones in chrome that go over standard ones from adamesh so if it looks sh*t it can be easily removed. Bonnet vents with the chrome "supercharged" stripe going through the middle (genuine jag accessory)

Also painted callipers, i had always had red ones and im fed up so going for modena yellow this time around heres a mockup in ms paint:

Ordered the same xkrs spoiler you have and the leaper to go on it.

And gonna go with windows tinting (not too much though)

So far thats the plan would love to se some opinions from guys and girls on the forum.

As for geometry after the H&R kit, a friend owns a private Porsche Service Garage and they use laser aligment tool so should be able to sort me out??

Cheers for all the input !

Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM

GhostRider,

How does the rim/tyre size on your xkr compare to the standard spec? i mean i can see how it looks on PP springs but did you keep factory rim/tyre sizes? i think factory on mine is 20" wheels 285/30 tyres at the rear can't remember the fronts.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

The wheel size I'm running are:

Fronts 20x9 with a +40 offset
Rears 20x10 with a +25 offset

Tires:

Fronts: 255/35/20
Rears: 285/30/20

I was looking for standard 18s when I was buying the XKR as I knew I was going to go aftermarket and didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for the optional 20s. For some reason it was slim pickings at that time for finding a new black XKR with 18s and a few options. You would think black would be easy to find but luckily my dealer was able to find one in NY and ship it to Chicago.

Spires exhaust? NICE! If it's the same one that it's on youtube, that thing sounds bada$$.

35mm actually might be better than my 25mm as I still have a small gap between the tire and wheel well. 35mm should eliminate that gap. You should take a vid of the spires exhaust!

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 02-28-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Ok just ordered H&R -35mm springs and H&R Trak+ spacers 20mmx4 I guess we will find out soon enough if it was a good call Also ordered 2x K&N Panel filter inserts, i was in the market for mina cone setup as i wanted some extra growl, but lots of people said its a bad idea as it will convert my intake to a hot air intake which is bad for SC cars + it can mess with MAF sensor and there is always danger of water getting in. Will a panel K&N filter have any impact on the way car sounds ? on hp ? on mpg? What do you guys think?

Also are there any ways to improve the stock intake apart from new insert, eg. changing pipes, increasing inlet, ram air??

As for the spires im waiting for my new camera now so should film it soon but its quite awesome, the only downside is the fuel usage goes + by 50% because all you want to do is rev it hard and downshift all day long :P:P Just love it.

Cheers

Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pacio
Will a panel K&N filter have any impact on the way car sounds ? on hp ? on mpg? What do you guys think?

Cheers
I'm a K&N re-useable filter fan for over 30+ years and never hesitate to use them on all my cars. Sadly as an OEM swapped panel, performance gains really aren't there except maybe with lab equipment. What you do get is better filtration and lower TCO. You simply need to learn how to properly care for the filter and keep it clean.
I have noted on a few of my cars that you will hear more of your intake with a K&N, but this isnt consistent with all cars. Maybe a Jag owner using one can add more. It wont be long before I buy one myself...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 03-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Also are there any ways to improve the stock intake apart from new insert, eg. changing pipes, increasing inlet, ram air??
Those modifications really only benefit normally aspirated engines, with forced-induction engines able to draw air in easily...unless you are seriously increasing air requirements with increased boost, aggressive cams, displacement, etc.

Good luck with the project. I've been happy with the H&R springs and hubcentric spacer/bolt kit on another car.

Bruce

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM

I guess i will put the intake upgrade on hold for now and do some more research.

Guys just a quick question regarding the wheel spacers, as i was about to order the H&R spacers i have found these spacers on ebay manufactured in uk

Jaguar X Type alloy wheel spacers 20mm 5x108 1 pair | eBay

They are 5x108 and 63.4 bore, also are hubcentric, and look well made, the difference is:

H&R total cost for 4 spacers 250GBP
Ebay spacers total cost for 4 is 80GBP

You have to get longer bolts for the ebay spacer, but you have to shorten your original bolts for the H&R Kit so you cant go back without buying oem bolts so you end up with 2 sets of bolts just like with the ebay ones.

My question is is H&R kit really worth the 170GBP difference? I can spend that on XKRS rear spoiler instead.

Thanks for all the input so far.

!!!!!!!!!EDIT

Just Read that XKR usues studs not bolts so the ebay kit might not be suitable, also read on another thread that they have tested a 15mm H&R Kit and studs would have to be shortened just slightly to clear the wheel, so it might be just fine with the 20mm H&R's. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Last edited by Pacio; 02-29-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM

Just a quick peek at my Jag with the H&R -35mm on, still waiting for the 20mm spacers to do real comparison pictures, enjoy.

Quick review did 350 miles on new springs, ride comfort is completely identical (hard to belive) but in corners its so sharp now its amazing and roll is decreased alot does not feel like a 450hp BOAT anymore Overal, very, very satisfied with these.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice indeed! Will have to get some springs on mine. Post more pics...

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
The wheel size I'm running are:

Fronts 20x9 with a +40 offset
Rears 20x10 with a +25 offset

Tires:

Fronts: 255/35/20
Rears: 285/30/20

I was looking for standard 18s when I was buying the XKR as I knew I was going to go aftermarket and didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for the optional 20s. For some reason it was slim pickings at that time for finding a new black XKR with 18s and a few options. You would think black would be easy to find but luckily my dealer was able to find one in NY and ship it to Chicago.

Spires exhaust? NICE! If it's the same one that it's on youtube, that thing sounds bada$$.

35mm actually might be better than my 25mm as I still have a small gap between the tire and wheel well. 35mm should eliminate that gap. You should take a vid of the spires exhaust!
Those look like Rennen Wheels. Wheels and stance look great. Nice work.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi sending some more pictures of the completed stance setup:

- 35mm drop H&R springs
- 20mm wide H&R Trak+ spacers rear 15mm front
- Color coded Jaguar strip
- Debadged
- Color coded plastic diffusor
- Jet black painted front griller
- Carbon fibre wrapped jaguar badge
- R badge on front grill

Already ordered
- Bigger rear Spoiler
- RS rear diffuser
- RS front lip
- RS sideskirts
- Still waiting for the tytanium quad 4" exhaust tips from Spires as they are on back order

Also considering to have the car tuned by Spires (pulleys upgrade, induction kit, exhaust already in but additionaly 200 CEL sport cats and manifolds, and a custom remap) all together should give around 480bhp according to Spires.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Love what you've done and especially what you're planning to do. If you're gonna mod it up nice, please consider changing the wheels too. The stockers look nice but they are stockers.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Perfect stance! I haven't even taken delivery yet and I MUST order these springs... Perhaps spacers too. Who did the install and how much did they charge?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

The rears look to have a lot of negative camber, as that just the camera angle?

Vince

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evoking
Perfect stance! I haven't even taken delivery yet and I MUST order these springs... Perhaps spacers too. Who did the install and how much did they charge?

I had my local Porsche Garage do it for £150 but know the owner so i reckon it would be around £400 for a complete stranger. Took about 4 hours to fit the springs + 30 min for the spacers. The rear suspension was a PITA to fit back on other than that they said it was pretty straight forward job.

Originally Posted by CleverName
The rears look to have a lot of negative camber, as that just the camera angle?

Vince
Did not have the time to do the laser aligment yet but to be honest it looks quite nice and agressive the way it is now, plus it drives perfectly fine Springs + spacers and no rubbing no matter what the road even on full lock.

What are the downsides to running such camber? (photos make it look like it has alot of negative camber but its not that much really) apart from the obvious tyre use being higher on the inside.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

What are the downsides to running such camber? (photos make it look like it has alot of negative camber but its not that much really) apart from the obvious tyre use being higher on the inside.
The first and biggest thing you will notice is your tires will wear much more quickly.

It would take a little study of your setup to see just how much traction you are giving up as well. You have offset your footprint, so you have given up maximum traction in all conditions except where the tire is on the outside of a hard corner.

Doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for many out there, but for the price of tires you might not like cutting their life in half. Ka-Ching...

I'd definitely get it checked and see if you can get dialed back into specs....

Vince

Quick Reply: Stance setup help for 07 XKR.