XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Stance setup help for 07 XKR.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Pacio - looks fantastic!

Did you put the Diffuser on yourself?
Yeah its nothing difficult although the fit is not perfect on this picture i had it corrected 30 minutes later now its flawless, same with LEDs took me around 2h from start to finish to do all 4 lights.

I will be fitting the front splitter, carbon fibre side vents and new style chrome "supervharged" stripe bonnet vents this weekend hopefully wash the car and upload some better pics then.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome!! Quick question about the lights. Did your new style lights come with fixing bolts and washers etc or did the ones from the old style lights fit? Also did you use the Adamesh wiring looms if so did you face any errors with the reverse light and fog light issue resulting in needing additional relays??

Can I also ask where you picked up the rear splitter from it looks awesome!

Thanks

Last edited by xkrsupercharged; 04-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

So how exactly do I order the H&R springs and spacers? Do I just pick a distributor in my state? Or is there a way to order on their site?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Spacers on the XK

Today I installed the 4 x 20 mm spacers on my '08 XK with stock springs. Here are my comments:

Not sure what, if any, offset differences exist between XK and XKR wheels but, for the XK the 20mm is perfect for the front. For the rear, the ideal thickness would be more like 10mm as the 20mm lines up too much under the fender lips. There is approx. 2.5" of wheel travel, while maintaining the same camber, before the tire contacts that fender lip. That is quite a bit of travel and, I think, more negative camber would occur at that compression, so, I am not very worried about it touching. I drove about 15 miles on the spacers, some tight, fast winding roads and no touching, thus far.

As far as looks, I called my wife, who normally would have a hard time telling if a wheel had fallen off a car, and I asked her for impressions. I told her that I put spacers to move the wheels outwards. She walked around, looking and kind of made a move to simulate a bodybuilder flexing his lats. She said: "it's like... wrooooommmm... more muscle-ey...". Yeah, I answered, us, Tarzans, like muscles, period.

Yes, the car definitely looks more aggressive with the wheels out.

Driving: Definite improvement in cornering feel. I could tell in the very first turn and in every subsequent turns that the car was more composed during cornering as well as during transitions, feeling as if it had less body roll and more support from the sides. Well, no surprise, after all the track width just increased by 1.5" total. Still the same bothersome understeer but, the car is more confident in the corners. Using 20mm front and 10 mm rear would probably take away some understeer, as well.

I had enough wheel indents to accommodate the original lugs after mounting the spacers. Likely the indents would not be enough to accommodate the same lugs if less than 15 mm spacers were used. Of course, likely, 10 mm is not even an purchase option as it would not be able to countersink the special mounting nuts. If I did this again, I would purchase the 15mm for the rears.

Ride height is close to the same, maybe 1/8" lower, due to a longer total suspension lower arm length acting on the springs.

Conclusion: Will keep an eye on the rear fender contact, if any. Besides that the results are all positive, improved handling and improved looks.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 04-27-2012 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr_Nico (12-12-2016)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

That's great Albert. I am gonna do research on on this for my XKR.

Also keep an eye on tire wear - doesn't sound like this will be an issue though...

I laughed at that comment from your wife - mine is about the same...

Originally Posted by axr6
Today I installed the 4 x 20 mm spacers on my '08 XK with stock springs. Here are my comments:

Not sure what, if any, offset differences exist between XK and XKR wheels but, for the XK the 20mm is perfect for the front. For the rear, the ideal thickness would be more like 10mm as the 20mm lines up too much under the fender lips. There is approx. 2.5" of wheel travel, while maintaining the same camber, before the tire contacts that fender lip. That is quite a bit of travel and, I think, more negative camber would occur at that compression, so, I am not very worried about it touching. I drove about 15 miles on the spacers, some tight, fast winding roads and no touching, thus far.

As far as looks, I called my wife, who normally would have a hard time telling if a wheel had fallen off a car, and I asked her for impressions. I told her that I put spacers to move the wheels outwards. She walked around, looking and kind of made a move to simulate a bodybuilder flexing his lats. She said: "it's like... wrooooommmm... more muscle-ey...". Yeah, I answered, us, Tarzans, like muscles, period.

Driving: Definite improvement in cornering feel. I could tell in the very first turn and in every subsequent turns that the car was more composed during cornering as well as during transitions, feeling as if it had less body roll and more support from the sides. Well, no surprise, after all the track width just increased by 1.5" total. Still the same bothersome understeer but, the car is more confident in the corners. Using 20mm front and 10 mm rear would probably take away some understeer, as well.

I had enough wheel indents to accommodate the original lugs after mounting the spacers. Likely the indents would not be enough to accommodate the same lugs if less than 15 mm spacers were used. Of course, likely, 10 mm is not even an purchase option as it would not be able to countersink the special mounting nuts. If I did this again, I would purchase the 15mm for the rears.

Ride height is close to the same, maybe 1/8" lower, due to a longer total suspension lower arm length acting on the springs.

Conclusion: Will keep an eye on the rear fender contact, if any. Besides that the results are all positive, improved handling and improved looks.

Albert

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Albert
Silly question: Does wheel size enter the equation here? What affect, if any, would these same size spacers have with 20" wheels versus the 19" wheels that you have?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Silly question: Does wheel size enter the equation here? What affect, if any, would these same size spacers have with 20" wheels versus the 19" wheels that you have?
Wheel size, as far as diameter, should NOT have any effects as the 20s" are within a very few millimeters to the 19s". The wheels may be 1" larger in diameter but, the tires have about 1" shorter sidewalls (2x0.5") to make up for the difference.

The only difference worth considering is the wheel offsets, that is, how far out are the outer edges of your wheels as compared to my stock wheels. Likely, they are also very close or the same, if your wheels are also stock.

You can make a quick check for fitting. Use a longer, say 3 feet, straight water bubble leveler and set it vertically between the level ground surface and the outer edge of your wheel cutout. Measure from this vertical level how far INWARD is the most protruding portion of your tire. From that measurement you will get an idea as to where it will be with the spacers.

Albert

Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Still don't know where you guys are ordering the H&R spacers and springs from... Are you ordering directly from H&R or just selecting a distributor in your state?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Wheel size, as far as diameter, should NOT have any effects as the 20s" are within a very few millimeters to the 19s". The wheels may be 1" larger in diameter but, the tires have about 1" shorter sidewalls (2x0.5") to make up for the difference.

The only difference worth considering is the wheel offsets, that is, how far out are the outer edges of your wheels as compared to my stock wheels. Likely, they are also very close or the same, if your wheels are also stock.

You can make a quick check for fitting. Use a longer, say 3 feet, straight water bubble leveler and set it vertically between the level ground surface and the outer edge of your wheel cutout. Measure from this vertical level how far INWARD is the most protruding portion of your tire. From that measurement you will get an idea as to where it will be with the spacers.

Albert
The 20" wheels are 9" wide in the front, and 10" wide in the rear...versus 8.5" front and 9"5" rear on the 19s. So, I don't where that extra 1/2 inch width is situated. I'll figure it out when my car is delivered. :-)

Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
Still don't know where you guys are ordering the H&R spacers and springs from... Are you ordering directly from H&R or just selecting a distributor in your state?

This is where I got them from:

H&R Wheel Spacers For Jaguar Cabrio 2007-up 20mm (4035633)

Took a little more than a week to receive them.

Albert

Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
The 20" wheels are 9" wide in the front, and 10" wide in the rear...versus 8.5" front and 9"5" rear on the 19s. So, I don't where that extra 1/2 inch width is situated. I'll figure it out when my car is delivered. :-)
I have the optional wider wheels and tires (245 and 275) on my XK, which I believe, were the same size as the standard XKR wheels/tires for '08.

Albert

Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Thanks. You referred to a 15mm spacer being ideal... However, the site doesn't list a 15mm spacer. Or am I missing it?

Also, anyone know where to find H&R Springs for 2010+?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. You referred to a 15mm spacer being ideal... However, the site doesn't list a 15mm spacer. Or am I missing it?

For some reason they do not list all available spacer sizes. Bruce went to the H&R website and did find the 15mm size. I have the feeling that if you called either of them, they would be able to get any of the sizes.

Do note that yesterday I did look at my rear wheels to see if they would accommodate the 15mm spacers with NO modifications to the stock wheel mounting studs. Since I could not see inside the mounted wheel surfaces, I reached through the wheel spokes using a 5mm-thick special tool to see if there was still enough room between the studs and the back of the wheel. There IS NOT. The remaining gap is only about 3mm so in my particular application a 15mm spacer would require cutting a few mm off each stock wheel studs. The same was reported by an other forum poster when he tried to use the 15mm for his front wheels.

Albert

Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Why not just replace your studs with longer ones? Stud replacement isn't that tricky...

Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Why not just replace your studs with longer ones? Stud replacement isn't that tricky...
You could replace the studs but, with this particular spacer arrangement you actually need shorter studs. To see what I mean you have to look at the spacer mounting method. I posted a link to those spacers a few posts back up.

If you have the right cutting tool, cutting a few mm of the smaller diameter starting threads off the stock studs takes a few seconds and will hurt nothing. There will be plenty enough thread left for any mounting purposes.

Albert

Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Since yours is a 2010+ XKR you could review posts 46, 47, 54, 56 and 57. You could also contact H&R to confirm that they do not make them, and if you get a different answer please let us know.

Bruce

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM

I mistook post 54 where it lists the links and the name of the company H&R Springs for it saying a link to the springs themselves

Ok. So I am in fact back to the Mina's or Paramount. Mina's are cheapest, stateside and I've heard they ride good so perhaps I'll just go with them... I had H&R's on my NSX's and liked them so was hoping they made some. Oh well...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few quick ones with a clean car

Next up: new custom bonnet vents, sideskirts and possible wheel respray, gunmetal or anthracite.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahh man....i like the wheels just the way they are.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

If I were still in the Navy I would say, "Out-f*(*)ing standing!!"

I might date you if you were here with that car. ( ha ha )

That shot of the back is magnificent.

And you put all the parts on yourself? Great job.

Originally Posted by Pacio
Just a few quick ones with a clean car

Next up: new custom bonnet vents, sideskirts and possible wheel respray, gunmetal or anthracite.

Quick Reply: Stance setup help for 07 XKR.