XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Status

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Happy Saturday Slee.

Do you see the Freudian Tell in that statement? "I actually find displays of 'wealth' embarrassing. Sometimes (maybe most times) showy cars actually demonstrate how NOT wealthy a person is."

It becomes clear if you see it from the other person's perspective. Imagine a refugee was given an XKR convt. Do you think he finds displays of wealth embarrassing or even remotely concerned that it demonstrates how NOT wealthy he is?

All I am saying is that what you are describing is a First World Problem. Upper middle class problem. Its non-existent if you are lower class or upper class. Calling lower class NOT wealthy is being truthful, calling upper class NOT wealthy is a desirable compliment.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

My opinion is to buy something that you like, that you can afford, that you can maintain and that puts a smile on your face every once in a while. If that car (or cars) happen to carry a $10,000 price tag or a $100,000 price tag is usually relevant to ones financial position at that particular time. I live in Vancouver, Canada and there are more exotics in this city Lambos, Ferraris, Mercedes, Porsches, Panteras etc than you can shake a stick at. I've even spotted a couple of Bugattis recently. A Jaguar driving down the road hardly gets a look….. and I could not care less…… as they say… don't worry, be happy… whats status anyhow?

Last edited by Fstbmw1; 05-23-2016 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AllblueACR (05-30-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
My opinion is to buy something that you like, that you can afford, that you can maintain and that puts a smile on your face every once in a while. If that car (or cars) happen to carry a $10,000 price tag or a $100,000 price tag is usually relevant to ones financial position at that particular time. I live in Vancouver, Canada and there are more exotics in this city Lambos, Ferraris, Mercedes, Porsches, Panteras etc than you can shake a stick at. I've even spotted a couple of Bugattis recently. A Jaguar driving down the road hardly gets a look….. and I could not care less…… as they say… don't worry, be happy… whats status anyhow?
Indeed. Prior to the Jag, I once tended towards 'sleeper' type cars. I didn't want to 'show' performance, but I liked the idea of having it there nonetheless.
After some time, I began to realize there was a degree of speed/handling that I would never, or only very rarely use, so even 'boring' looking fast cars became a 'waste' to a boring driver like myself.

Now I find myself further shifting interest towards a good quality, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing interior. Even with the Jag, I prioritized interior color/combo over exterior color. I'm not a big fan of white cars, but I own one anyway, mostly because of the London/Charcoal interior I really appreciated.

And this behavior is atypical of me: I prefer being as outwardly 'lowkey' as possible while still trying to selfishly enjoy some nicer things privately. The Jag is probably my first failure to keep things 'lowkey' on the exterior. And its probably why I kicked off the thread. I'm in a non comfort zone now.

Actually, I did consider an XJ because that interior was just sublime!, but the XJ was really just too big for a two person (most days) family...and didn't have a roof that folded down!

Last edited by Slee_Stack; 05-23-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I'm a bit of a contrarian, so I think perhaps the status associated with a Jaguar might of played a small part. I like the strange look on people's faces when the scruffey guy in camouflage cargo pants/shorts drives off in the XK. I'm just not the guy they expected to fit the image of the car, so perhaps that very contrast did attract me.

As XK8 prices have dropped, I'm seeing blinged out lift kit to fit big wheels XK8's around town now. Now *That* is a status symbol.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 444 Likes on 186 Posts

My then fiance told me to sell my E320 and buy myself a sexy car as a wedding present to myself. I wanted a two door coupe of no particular brand when I started shopping. I'd had enough of the Germans. Couldn't do the "hey my sister is starting to look hot" Camaro/Mustang/Charger or the beer-gut middle-aged Corvette driver stigmas. Even with all those being modern and high performance.

It boiled down to price for performance/looks/exclusiveness and dollar for dollar a used Jag can't be beat. I dare post how little I paid for it but it is fun to tell people it was $99,500 new! I can't lie I do like the admiration the car gets but I always give credit to Callum. I just bought it, I didn't design and build it. I just keep it clean.

I'm definitely an a-typical Jag owner. I upgraded my own diff, serviced my trans and perform all maintenance on my own. I attend British car shows and I'm the young whipper snapper of the group. But that's ok because the people are great.

My daily is a 2004 Forester I bought for $1600 and 160,000 miles on the clock. It aint pretty but it's clean and good transportation.

I'm not afraid to drive the Jag anywhere. I'm just afraid to park it anywhere.

Last edited by flyc2c; 05-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
............... I'm not afraid to drive the Jag anywhere. I'm just afraid to park it anywhere.
THAT'S the truth.....

Old 05-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,555 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
My then fiance told me to sell my E320 and buy myself a sexy car as a wedding present to myself. I wanted a two door coupe of no particular brand when I started shopping. I'd had enough of the Germans. Couldn't do the "hey my sister is starting to look hot" Camaro/Mustang/Charger or the beer-gut middle-aged Corvette driver stigmas. Even with all those being modern and high performance.

It boiled down to price for performance/looks/exclusiveness and dollar for dollar a used Jag can't be beat. I dare post how little I paid for it but it is fun to tell people it was $99,500 new! I can't lie I do like the admiration the car gets but I always give credit to Callum. I just bought it, I didn't design and build it. I just keep it clean.

I'm definitely an a-typical Jag owner. I upgraded my own diff, serviced my trans and perform all maintenance on my own. I attend British car shows and I'm the young whipper snapper of the group. But that's ok because the people are great.

My daily is a 2004 Forester I bought for $1600 and 160,000 miles on the clock. It aint pretty but it's clean and good transportation.

I'm not afraid to drive the Jag anywhere. I'm just afraid to park it anywhere.
Nice write-up !
On top of not being afraid to drive it or park it anywhere I'll go one better as they put it 'not afraid of the track'

Attached Thumbnails Status-photo319.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 258 Posts

Why do I own a Jag-u-ar?....not a snob, not rich, just love the marque.
Twas a lad of 13-14 yrs., when I happened upon a 61'ish tan roadster in a dealership parking lot on my way home from Jr. high. Instantly, fell in love! Ten yrs. later, I bought my E-Type 2+2. (Insurance company would not cover me in a roadster ...Bwaaa!)
Forty three years later, I bought my '08 XK-R cvt. The roadster I fell in love with at 13-14...
That's all it was, just a simple want in life......Happy Motoring!

The following users liked this post:
NightHawkII (08-02-2021)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I get a thrill when I see someone staring at my car, but its because it reveals their appreciation of the design and maybe their ogling of how clean and shiny it is. I don't think its a matter of status, but rather, the shared acknowledgement for the sheer automotive beauty. I have to admit, however, I probably wouldn't get the same thrill if those same auto enthusiasts were to stare at my wife, with the same oohs and aahs.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Why did I buy my XKR? 510hp and the top goes down!! Who cares about the rest.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I totally dig the appeal and image of a Jaguar and always have. Jaguar is a car for good looking people with taste. If you have money or don't have money and want to look like you do; what's wrong with that?

Don't feel ashamed because you want to drive a work of art and someone else can't or doesn't want to... If one thing is true; there's always someone else with a lot more money.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
Why did I buy my XKR? 510hp and the top goes down!! Who cares about the rest.
Dam , me too.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I was walking out of a store several years ago towards my shiny XK8 with the top lowering (Thanks Steve) and overheard a man ahead of me of about 35 years say to his I assume wife... "I sure wish I could have a nice car like that" as he got into a couple-years-old Dodge 3/4 ton truck.
I chuckled to myself..... he probably paid $55,000 or more for that truck, and I got my XK8 a few years old and paid a good bit less than that.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Too many people noticed my sapphire Blue Viper so I wanted a car that was inconspicuous.............

The following 2 users liked this post by AllblueACR:
jons (07-28-2021), Queen and Country (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

I have been driving Jaguars for more than 40 years. Why? because they are special; IMO there are no other vehicles built like them, handle like them, or drive like a Jaguar and most importantly give the pleasure they do. Granted, there have been a few glitches along the way, but that goes with the territory. What other people (non-Jaguar drivers/owners) think about them is their problem, not mine.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your thoughts, but frankly I bought my 2005 XK8 convertible for one person - me. Why? I just retired, kids are launched and I received a small inheritance from my 90 year old parents who just passed. I had a Jaguar Matchbox car 50+ years ago that was my favorite. 10 years ago I started dreaming about getting a fun car, just for me. My kid brother has done this his entire life, had fun cars. I bought a beautiful grey XK8 last summer for $11k, put $5k into it for safety and maintenance and now have fulfilled my dream. I find myself looking for excuses to drive it and enjoy it. That joy may pass someday and I will sell it. In the meantime, its a small reward for being a responsible husband and father for the last 40 years. Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by golfjpl:
bocatrip (03-12-2021), ralphwg (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts

I guess different people have different values, I drove a neat little BMW Z4 for 17 years, received a lot of compliments on it as to how it looked good and must be fun to drive, but nothing about how it made me look or the impression I was trying to create.
I finally sold it last fall and bought a very clean 2010 XK Convertible. In just the 3 weeks I had to drive it before I put it away, I received a lot of attention from my neighbors and family
My oldest son said it was neat to see his folks drive up in the BMW, but he was blown away to see them drive up in a Jag..
The car must have some very special appeal, look forward to drive it for the first time all summer long

Old 03-11-2021, 12:41 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default AA/FA, NFC and TF HARLEY

My lifelong racing mentors Art Chrisman, Ed Iskendarian and Nick Arias taught me years ago
"Just remember kid...there's an A$$ for Every seat!"
6.14 sec @ 236 mph 1/4 mi

Old 03-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by golfjpl
I understand your thoughts, but frankly I bought my 2005 XK8 convertible for one person - me. Why? I just retired, kids are launched and I received a small inheritance from my 90 year old parents who just passed. I had a Jaguar Matchbox car 50+ years ago that was my favorite. 10 years ago I started dreaming about getting a fun car, just for me. My kid brother has done this his entire life, had fun cars. I bought a beautiful grey XK8 last summer for $11k, put $5k into it for safety and maintenance and now have fulfilled my dream. I find myself looking for excuses to drive it and enjoy it. That joy may pass someday and I will sell it. In the meantime, its a small reward for being a responsible husband and father for the last 40 years. Thanks.
Holy thread resurrection Batman!! Is almost 5yrs a record??

Golf you do realise your posting in the X150 forum and not the X100?

As much as they are nice (I had my X100 for 14yrs) the X150 simply blows its predecessor away...all IMO of course

Old 03-11-2021, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Holy thread resurrection Batman!! Is almost 5yrs a record??

Golf you do realise your posting in the X150 forum and not the X100?

As much as they are nice (I had my X100 for 14yrs) the X150 simply blows its predecessor away...all IMO of course
You mean there is a lid for every pot.

Quick Reply: Status