XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Stereo upgrade and such...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade and such...

..soo...looking around the internet I can find lots of PDFs of the accessories (sp?) available for my XK (2007) but no prices.
I imagine that the ******* price for things will be huge, so am looking at the stereo in there.
It is the 6 CD unit and the car has speakers front and rear - but no subwoofer that I've found.
I can't find any information out there as to the costs of better (by which I mean louder! - I play guitar in a rock band you see...) kit that I'd be able to replace the standard stuff with. Is it even possible? I'd still want to be controlling it via the touch screen and the steering wheel.
Failing that, would it be possible to add the USB connector thingy so I could play songs off of a USB stick? What is involved in that - again the dealers list these things, but no prices.
All I've found on the internet is this page 2007 Jaguar XKR Car Radio Wiring Diagram that gives the wiring colour details for the XK.
So - anyways, enough of my rambling - has anyone ever upgraded their stereo themselves or is it knowledge that Jaguar keep to themselves?
Cheers folks!
M

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Manic,

there are two good threads which will help (below). The three of us have done fundamentally the same audio upgrade - leaving the head unit unchanged (as well as all the functionality that comes with the head unit and steering wheel controls), upgrading the components downstream from that. It's the more expensive route and, depending on how much you put into the components, it can get pretty expensive. But the upside is big sound. You can probably do a light version of this approach and dramatically increase the sound quality and volume. If you don't have the factor Premium Audio upgrade, I don't think you have a sub. Re: USB, you can buy, install yourself, and integrate an Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) for about $250-300(?) which is recognized as an Aux input by the head unit and plays through the system as any other input (e.g. FM, CD) It has RCA inputs, but there may be a simple way to adapt from a USB or other audio source to RCA. Search the forum for ACM or Audio Connectivity.

Two threads worth looking at:good luck. feel free to PM me if you have questions - happy to help and I enjoy audio questions.

The following users liked this post:
manicguitarist (12-21-2011)