XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Storage space for Musician

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage space for Musician

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing an XK8 Coupe from 2006 onwards. I also like the earlier models but I have read that the newer models have more space.

There is likely to only be 2 people in the car at any time and I do not plan to use the rear seats much for transporting people.

The thing is I want a car that I would enjoy (the XK8 being target no.1) but I also need to be able to transport a couple of guitars, a small 2x12 cab (just over half the size of the large square ones you might see a guitarist using on stage) and the amp head.

I am hoping to possibly put the guitars on the rear seats (depending on the width of the XK8, causes no problems in a small saxo or micra), the amp head on top and stick the cab in the back flat. The question is, would I realistically be able to do this or will I have to concede defeat and perhaps look at the XF instead? Owning two cars isn't really an option, I mainly ride bikes and this would be my only car.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I wonder if guitars in back seat will be too high?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I wonder if guitars in back seat will be too high?
Well that is the other issue, although they would be flat across the rear seats. Perhaps around 30cms high at a guess plus the amp which might be about 25cms high? Although if that would squeeze alongside the speaker in the boot I could do that.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM

When I say 30cms high, I mean 30cms for the 2 cases, not each.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think they're going to fit. The only way to know, though, is to take your gear to a dealer, and try to put it all in.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F4LL3N
Well that is the other issue, although they would be flat across the rear seats.
The hump between the seats is pretty big. How would they balance? You could also try removing the cargo cover that attaches to the hatch. Maybe they’ll fit in the seat if each case is angled 45 degrees inward.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The hump between the seats is pretty big. How would they balance? You could also try removing the cargo cover that attaches to the hatch. Maybe they’ll fit in the seat if each case is angled 45 degrees inward.
Ah didn't realise there was a hump issue... mmm could be a problem...

Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Just looked at a picture, i can see the hump and i dont think that will be a problem, ill make it balance. Height might be ok too. So the main issue is the cab in the boot... dimensions are (mm): 750 x 600 x 310

Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

You'd be surprised how much you can fit in a coupe, between the rear seats and trunk... Height is the ultimate limitation in the trunk, but I've managed to fit stuff that looked way too big... Just keep a thick blanket or moving pad in the trunk to cover the rear seats: even though they are USELESS as rear seats, they are nicely finished leather with perfect stitching and finish and you don't want to scratch them up.

I've pay to see a video of you going to a dealership to 'test drive' an XK Coupe and then proceed to start loading your gear first... How far could you push it before the salesman called a stop? LOL...

Skeeter

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skeeter
You'd be surprised how much you can fit in a coupe, between the rear seats and trunk... Height is the ultimate limitation in the trunk, but I've managed to fit stuff that looked way too big... Just keep a thick blanket or moving pad in the trunk to cover the rear seats: even though they are USELESS as rear seats, they are nicely finished leather with perfect stitching and finish and you don't want to scratch them up.

I've pay to see a video of you going to a dealership to 'test drive' an XK Coupe and then proceed to start loading your gear first... How far could you push it before the salesman called a stop? LOL...

Skeeter
Haha! I was always planning on using sheets and stuff as it is finished very nicely. Is it possible someone could measure the boot to see if the cab would fit? I think that is my only issue now! I used to put the cab standing up in a micra as obviously the boot space wasn't very deep, but if the XK has a pretty deep (albeit low) trunk space then i should fit it in providing it can take the height (as you say) when flat.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Looking at a picture the cab looks like it would be a slight squeeze in the boot, does anyone know the measurements of the boot space?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Looking at a picture the cab looks like it would be a slight squeeze in the boot, does anyone know the measurements of the boot space?
I seriously doubt a guitar case would fit.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Just borrowed my sons case for a fit check... (see thumbs)
In a nut shell, the XK is probably not a car for you.

You may be able to get two guitars in the back seats in a Cris-cross, but they would both need to be electrics.
The trunk would hold a small portable amp if laid on its back, but no guitars.

Vince

Attached Thumbnails Storage space for Musician-2012-07-09-20.57.44.jpg   Storage space for Musician-2012-07-09-20.59.52.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (07-12-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM

Really appreciate those pictures, is that an acoustic case or electric? My guitars are electric and therefore probably not quite as long. I didn't realise there wasn't much width on the XK, that was kind of what I was hoping for. Oh well ! Thanks for all the replies has really helped

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Really appreciate those pictures, is that an acoustic case or electric? My guitars are electric and therefore probably not quite as long. I didn't realize there wasn't much width on the XK, that was kind of what I was hoping for. Oh well ! Thanks for all the replies has really helped
Sorry,
I'll try to grab my Peavey hard case next time, but I think overall it is bigger than the acoustic, just not as thick.

Vince

Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Sorry,
I'll try to grab my Peavey hard case next time, but I think overall it is bigger than the acoustic, just not as thick.

Vince
That's ok, I think I can safely establish that there won't be enough room in the XK =(. So it's either go for the XF or own two 4-wheel vehicles, one just for the music stuff. Thanks for trying it out though =)