XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Strange chirping noise coming from the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 07:07 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts
Question Strange chirping noise coming from the dash when driving...

Hi guys,

Well, the title kinda sums it up...but I'd add that I can only hear that (fairly discrete, still) chirping-like noise when I drive above a certain speed. Not at idle.
My guess is it's the AC fan getting a bit squeeky but I could be mistaken...have you experienced something like this?

And is it something one can fix oneself? And if not, for how much does that go in Jag dealership?

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-23-2024, 07:54 AM
Received 431 Likes on 280 Posts

Try turning the speed of the fan up and down and see of that affects the noise. Listen under the bonnet just to check that it's not originating from the engine. It could be the little cabin air temp sensor fan in the lower dashboard but you would probably hear that at idle as well.

Richard

Old 01-23-2024, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

It's likely it isn't the aspirator given that it runs at a constant speed, regardless of engine speed, but it's still worth looking into because it's commonly described as a chirping noise behind the dash.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
It's likely it isn't the aspirator given that it runs at a constant speed, regardless of engine speed, but it's still worth looking into because it's commonly described as a chirping noise behind the dash.
And I should add it seems to be coming from the middle, behind the center console.
So, although I could be mistaken, it would surprise me if it actually was the aspirator.

What leads me to think it's the AC fan is because this noise comes above a certain driving speed, as if the incoming air was sufficient to disturb a smooth spinning, dunno...

Old 01-23-2024, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by George Abitbol
And I should add it seems to be coming from the middle, behind the center console.
So, although I could be mistaken, it would surprise me if it actually was the aspirator.

What leads me to think it's the AC fan is because this noise comes above a certain driving speed, as if the incoming air was sufficient to disturb a smooth spinning, dunno...
I'm not sure what you mean by the AC fan? There is a fan in the centre console which creates air flow through the cabin vents and up to the windscreen but it is normally known as the heater fan or blower as it blows both hot air and cold air.

Richard

Old 01-23-2024, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RichardS
I'm not sure what you mean by the AC fan? There is a fan in the centre console which creates air flow through the cabin vents and up to the windscreen but it is normally known as the heater fan or blower as it blows both hot air and cold air.

Richard
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Sorry but English is not my native language, so even if I'm quite comfortable with it, sometimes I miss the mark...

Old 01-23-2024, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardS

Richard
That blower motor is behind the glove box at the top of the passenger footwell and wouldn't change with vehicle speed.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
That blower motor is behind the glove box at the top of the passenger footwell and wouldn't change with vehicle speed.
I'm inclined to agree so covered that in my post #2.

Richard