XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

strange rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 12:54 PM
Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

toldya

Old 08-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will wait until September and take it back to Jaguar. The workshop manager is an old friend and he thinks it is not the discs, although it does seem like it... but so as not to spend more money and then it might not be the case. I will keep you informed because you have helped me a lot. The Spanish forum is pure silence.

Old 08-12-2024, 05:07 PM

The disc needs to be larger than the pad being installed, I've seen aftermarket discs which are slightly
too small and this will result in the pad making contact where it should not be and producing a scraping
sound.

Old 08-13-2024, 02:20 AM

Currently it has these pads on the rear disc

Old 08-13-2024, 02:54 AM

That could very well be the issue,

Pads too Large or disc too small.
or disc was not resurfaced properly

Old 08-13-2024, 08:13 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Someone mentioned putting the car on a lift and running it in gear. I could do that with the X358 XJ, but not the 07 XKR. Traction control won't allow it. That's how I got stuck with a bad diff. At that time just couldn't tell on the road.
However, I did not remember to turn the traction control OFF by holding the button down for 10 seconds. And I have not put the car back on the lift since I remembered that little trick. Just remember to turn the traction control off before
you try to run it on the lift. Hopefully, that will work. As soon as the temps get back to reasonable, I'll try it myself so I can diagnose what sounds like a whiny diff.

Old 08-13-2024, 08:53 AM

the other day i put the car on some stands and without giving it much gas because it was blocking a noise came from the area of ​​the disc or wheel hub. how do you disconnect the traction control? there is a button on the gear lever and simply pressing it disconnects the dsc. is that what you mean?

Old 08-14-2024, 08:46 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Martinpas
the other day i put the car on some stands and without giving it much gas because it was blocking a noise came from the area of ​​the disc or wheel hub. how do you disconnect the traction control? there is a button on the gear lever and simply pressing it disconnects the dsc. is that what you mean?
Yes, just press the traction control button beside the gear lever for at least 10 seconds. I believe the message that pops up on the dash is "DSC OFF". Been awhile since I've done it.
Also good for smokey burnouts although I'd never do that.

Old 08-14-2024, 03:34 PM

Yes, we did, but it still blocks for security reasons. Next week I'll take it to a workshop that specializes in differentials, driveshafts and gearboxes...

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Good morning guys!! Finally, they have diagnosed the fault. It is the same thing that Jaguar told me, but here they have specified what it is: main pinion and crown with play. I have 3 options and in the end I will go for the second one, which I hope will be the least bad. The first option that they give me is to replace the crown and pinion, but between the price of the products and the labour, the price goes up quite a bit. The second option is to put in a completely remanufactured differential: pinion, crown, bearings… etc. The third option would be to put in a new differential at an official dealer… the prices are as follows: option 3 is around €5000, option 2 is €1800 and option 1 is around €1100 and depending on the place and the mechanics, I have to find a true professional because it is a delicate job that is not always 100% perfect. What do you think???

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (Today)
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,027 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Yeah, option #2. Do they have a warranty?

Last edited by kj07xk; Today at 12:08 AM.
Old Today, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Yeah, option #2. Do they have a warranty?
yeah! Two years!!

Old Today, 03:40 AM
Received 469 Likes on 307 Posts

Good morning guys!! Finally, they have diagnosed the fault. It is the same thing that Jaguar told me, but here they have specified what it is: main pinion and crown with play. I have 3 options and in the end I will go for the second one, which I hope will be the least bad. The first option that they give me is to replace the crown and pinion, but between the price of the products and the labour, the price goes up quite a bit. The second option is to put in a completely remanufactured differential: pinion, crown, bearings… etc. The third option would be to put in a new differential at an official dealer… the prices are as follows: option 3 is around €5000, option 2 is €1800 and option 1 is around €1100 and depending on the place and the mechanics, I have to find a true professional because it is a delicate job that is not always 100% perfect. What do you think???
Surely only Option 1 is a delicate job? With Options 2 and 3 you are simply bolting in a replacement diff which has already been fully reassembled. The tricky bit is assembling the diff with the correct internal clearances/torques. Changing the complete diff is relatively straightforward. I've done it many times.

Richard

Old Today, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by RichardS
Surely only Option 1 is a delicate job? With Options 2 and 3 you are simply bolting in a replacement diff which has already been fully reassembled. The tricky bit is assembling the diff with the correct internal clearances/torques. Changing the complete diff is relatively straightforward. I've done it many times.

Richard
Of course! That's why I'm leaning towards option 2. After doing my research, it seems that adjusting the crown and pinion properly is a delicate job and depending on who does it, it can cause problems again in the future, and I don't want to have a headache. If the price difference was huge, I might have doubts, but in this case...

Old Today, 04:02 AM
Received 469 Likes on 307 Posts

Of course! That's why I'm leaning towards option 2. After doing my research, it seems that adjusting the crown and pinion properly is a delicate job and depending on who does it, it can cause problems again in the future, and I don't want to have a headache. If the price difference was huge, I might have doubts, but in this case...
Ah, I misread your "delicate" sentence as applying to all three options. Sorry,

Richard

Old Today, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by RichardS
Ah, I misread your "delicate" sentence as applying to all three options. Sorry,

Richard
I'm sorry, I probably expressed myself badly. English is not my native language and sometimes I think in Spanish in my mind and translate badly.

Old Today, 05:06 AM
Received 77 Likes on 26 Posts

Judging by the videos and speed frame, it seems like something is loose and is subjected to wind.

Double check the exhaust firewall or maybe some undercarriage protectors. Similar thing happened to me multiple times in different cars (also in xk) and it drove me crazy, always turned out to be some panel loose.