Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 02:33 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you!

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
This potential issue is covered in the manual:

The whole system dealers use to charge customers and pay technicians is a disaster waiting to happen, especially for the customer. Techs get paid the allotted hours for the job regardless of how long it takes so if they do a 5 hour job in 4 hours then they still get paid for 5 hours work. Financially incentivizing people to work quickly, especially on complex tasks, never results in a quality product.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
This is exactly why I use the dealer.
Why's that, so they can do the job right second time?

Old 09-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

This is exactly why I use the dealer.
I'm pretty sure he did use a Jaguar dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:23 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure he did use a Jaguar dealer.
Yes, Jaguar dealer. Under warranty repair and extra preventative maintenance items. Quite the preventative maintenance outcome...

MarkyUK (09-06-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 09:13 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Does the actuator need to be calibrated? There is a set screw which the black bracket hits against in the relaxed position. The only way to set the screw would be with the supercharger cover off to expose the butterfly valve. With my black bracket or connecting piece being bent I think the movement may be restricted. Should the actuator rod be able to be pushed fully up as TXFireblade shows in the picture with a screw driver

? The technician really screwed this up and returned my car to me without telling me.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Yes, the set screw is used to set the position of the butterfly valve when closed. If I remember correctly, when the throttle opens there is no vacuum on the actuator so the valve stays closed and the supercharger provides full boost. When the throttle is closed there is vacuum on the actuator and the valve is opened, bleeding off any boost and improving efficiency. The manual covers the set screw position but essentially it provides a hard stop that holds the valve just off the closed position. In most cases the actuator will pull the valve fully open even if there is some misalignment however in your case I'll bet there is some binding. It shouldn't affect the power so long as the valve is able to sit against the set screw.

Definitely push for a new supercharger assembly since they screwed yours up. I think they only come with the snout attached and if I were you I'd leave the assembly as is and not bother having them change to a solid coupler as it's just another opportunity to introduce more issues.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

DGL (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

This potential issue is covered in the manual:

The whole system dealers use to charge customers and pay technicians is a disaster waiting to happen, especially for the customer. Techs get paid the allotted hours for the job regardless of how long it takes so if they do a 5 hour job in 4 hours then they still get paid for 5 hours work. Financially incentivizing people to work quickly, especially on complex tasks, never results in a quality product.
What page in the manual is this diagram? I searched the manual for "pneumatic actuator", "actuator", "SC actuator" etc. to no avail.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:50 PM

It's from the XFR Workshop Manual I downloaded from this site and is part of the "Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - V8 S/C 5.0L Petrol" section which covers the supercharger. According to the PDF reader it's page 1327. The pages themselves are not numbered in the version of the manual I have.

Last edited by TXFireblade; 09-04-2020 at 07:53 PM.
DGL (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Why's that, so they can do the job right second time?
I could certainly understand you having a problem getting a Jaguar serviced in Somerset, they are probably better with old Land Rover defenders or more agricultural vehicles but I have never had any issue what so ever with my dealer. Always a curtesy car, polite, respectful and the car repaired correctly first time, every time and I have been there a lot. Yes, it typically costs a little more but for me it works every time.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Double post apologies

Last edited by MarkyUK; 09-06-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

I could certainly understand you having a problem getting a Jaguar serviced in Somerset, they are probably better with old Land Rover defenders or more agricultural vehicles but I have never had any issue what so ever with my dealer. Always a curtesy car, polite, respectful and the car repaired correctly first time, every time and I have been there a lot. Yes, it typically costs a little more but for me it works every time.
Company I use is swallows, they also had a branch in West London until 5yrs back, I know of 2 f-type owners and 3 X150 owners that use them and we all agree their knowledge and expertise is 2nd to none* and they are licensed by Jaguar to have services they conduct to appear on the main dealer system....so agree not all Indy's are the same and would like to think mine is one of the best...plus I always get a courtesy car, usually an XF

*By way of example the return coolant hose ruptured on my 96 X100 outside their place in 2017, the part was £185 from Jaguar plus 2 x £65 hours. When I collected the bill was £135, because they had managed to fabricate the part from some silicon hose they had spare.

Oh, I meant to ask, when my SC comes off is it worth changing my valley hoses to the upgraded F-type ones? If so can someone remind me of the part numbers?

Last edited by MarkyUK; 09-06-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:53 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Oh, I meant to ask, when my SC comes off is it worth changing my valley hoses to the upgraded F-type ones? If so can someone remind me of the part numbers?

Your question is answered here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...update-232788/

I also changed my thermostat. Had all this work done for preventative maintenance to have the technician forcefully bent the lever connecting the pneumatic actuator rod to the supercharger spindle which sets the butterfly bypass valve. Now I need a need supercharger from the tech being careless. The car was returned to me this way. Because I ride my XKR with the useless plastic engine cover off I noticed the misaligned actuator rod immediately and investigated. If I were not so particular this screw-up would have went unnoticed (probably 99.9% of customers would not notice this). The problem with this damage is the the supercharger bypass value will not function freely by the actuator--it can not be set properly with the set screw and the bend lever binds on the rod. I will update on the outcome... The only proper solution is to replace the supercharger with a new unit which will include a new actuator and snout. By doing this the solid actuator will not be installed because a new torsion actuator would be included in the supercharger unit. The cost of a new supercharger unit I believe is around $4,000 retail.

Last edited by DGL; 09-05-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 340 Likes on 190 Posts

The only problem is that the snout replacement won't fix a problem, this arm/axle are a part of a supercharger itself.
However it's still possible to replace these
-remove SC top cover
-remove two screws holding a bypass butterfly
-remove a butterfly axle/arm
The part itself may be sourced from a bad/worn/second hand supercharger.
Upon reassembly make sure to use threadlock on a butterfly screws.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
OK thanks I am goIng for the snout replacement and here is my kit list sitting in my garage. See attachment

The only relevant part numbers I can see on that link are:

AJ813614 = under sc hose
2SJAZZ40 = No hits on google

So I need the part number of the modified valley hose still not a package code.

Oh I am also moving to waterless coolant, does this mean I need a different type of thermostat? Sorry to hijack

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SCparts.pdf (475.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:15 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

OK thanks I am goIng for the snout replacement and here is my kit list sitting in my garage. See attachment

The only relevant part numbers I can see on that link are:

AJ813614 = under sc hose
2SJAZZ40 = No hits on google
All of the part numbers, including the valley hose, are in the link above. They are listed on the invoice the Jaguar dealer gave me. I know nothing about waterless coolant.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Apologies I didnt make myself clear, the so called part numbers on the invoice you've been given aren't actually individual Jaguar parts codes but package codes for example for hose, thermostat and coolant, when each of these will have their own code...except perhaps coolant.

No matter will search elsewhere for the upgraded valley hoses

Last edited by MarkyUK; 09-06-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:43 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Car is at the dealer today for a supercharger replacement. The dealer is replacing the complete supercharger at their expense. The technician who worked on my car previously damaging the by-pass valve linkage is not to work on the car. My car was returned to me damaged which is unacceptable. Good thing I had pictures to prove the damage and I picked up on the damage. I will ask for the original SC back which had the fluid changed and solid isolator installed--I always like to keep the parts removed from my car. I may have to pay a core charge. I'm always concerned with who works on my car which is why I like to wrench myself because it gives me the satisfaction of knowing exactly what was done. I should have it back by the end of the day or tomorrow--if everything goes good,Angry.

The following 5 users liked this post by DGL:
George05 (10-05-2020), guy (10-05-2020), ralphwg (10-07-2020), TXFireblade (10-05-2020), V7Sport (10-05-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Any update?

Old 10-08-2020, 10:46 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Picked up the car today. Everything is good. They installed a completely new supercharger, C2Z32195, the latest version with the updated torsion isolator. They also returned the solid isolator they installed in the original SC to me. All is good. The service manager said he oversaw the work and the technician was meticulous. He also ensured me the technician who damaged the original SC will never work on my cars again.

The core charge on the SC is about $1,000 which I would have little use for. The service manager also said they could not return it to me. Overall, I'm pleased with the outcome and the dealership taking care of things.

The following 4 users liked this post by DGL:
kj07xk (10-08-2020), ralphwg (10-08-2020), TXFireblade (10-08-2020), V7Sport (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
................... The service manager also said they could not return it to me..........................
So completely false it borders on treason.
It's your part, your property. Course it'd cost you a grand...

Quick Reply: Supercharger Actuator by-pass, Vacuum Type, bracket