XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Symptoms of a failing battery???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Guys,
I believe most NEW Jaguars are delivered with sulfated batteries because while sitting on the lot they get totally discharged numerous times...........it's best to start with a fresh battery and maintain it yourself properly.
Also don't expect any technical response from Jaguar USA............Knowing this I wrote a while ago directly to Jaguar UK; their response: please contact Jaguar USA, we are not aloud to bypass them!!!
These opinions are from a retired Boeing engineer with over 50 years of Jaguar ownership, however, I still love them dearly.............they are indeed female...

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
I believe most NEW Jaguars are delivered with sulfated batteries because while sitting on the lot they get totally discharged numerous times
Jaguar has a procedure manual for pre-sales storage. The requirements include the distance between cars, distance from overhanging trees, and battery maintenance.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Smile Battery failures

IMHO most jaguars are delivered with a battery that is sulfated because of sitting on the lot with multiple discharges as well as a long delivery chain by sea.................I bought a replacement battery for my Certified 2007 XK and the battery failed in 6 months! dealer's replacement INTERSTATE was made in CZ (Czechoslovakia)! no warranty coverage of course. No way to check water level either; sealed for Life! CZ water does not evaporate apparently................ I'm looking for date of manufacture.
If over 6 months old will visit my dealer , again..............

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Plumes,
Good in theory! So why do so many battery failures? Indeed procedures are very important eg. in my business (Boeing) just ask Air France about Flt AF 447!! If pilots can't follow them why should a dealer?

Adrian

Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Plums,

Brtiannia has a point. Back in the my Air Force days, batteries used to be sealed with pitch, and you could pull individual cells & sometimes even plates, repair or replace them, & restore the battery. Someone else on the Forum coined the expression 'Sealed for Death' regaurding gearboxes and I'm inclined to apply that to batteries also. It's also a very pertinent point that he makes about the time a battery sits in a pre-delivery car. And I would think that it isn't just Jags. Consider so called 'run out' models. How long have they sat around in a storage lot before being sold as 'new'. How many dealer yards can you think of that have a battery cart or two in the corner? It made me think, and I can't recall one!! No procedure in the world short of keeping each car on a trickle charger will beat the human factor, let's face it the people who work in such places ain't the from the World's Brains Trust.

Cheers,

Languid

Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by britannia
Plumes,
Good in theory! So why do so many battery failures? Indeed procedures are very important eg. in my business (Boeing) just ask Air France about Flt AF 447!! If pilots can't follow them why should a dealer?

Adrian
Britannia,

curiousity question - what was Fit AF447?

Cheers,

Languid

Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Languid,
FLT(Flight!) 447 was an Air France Air Bus A330 that crashed into Atlantic killing all 228 persons while flying ,at night, from Reo to Paris. Co-pilot held side control device (stick) all the way BACK from 30000+ ft to sea level thus putting aircraft into a fatal flat spin or stall.
Even a student pilot knows you push FORWARD on the stick to avoid or recover from stalls. Unbelievable procedure from a prof. pilot; but it happens. So much for procedures!!.
Two of my favorite savings have always have been:
Take a chance fly Air France!
If it's not BOEING I'm not going!
I will admit being a little bias; 40 years total in Aerospace, UK, Canada and Seattle.
And over 60 years driving Jaguars!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM

Aw, I don't know. Remember Pan Crash? And I remember a Pakistani "Goodbye Airways' Bristol Freighter being being told to park at the opposite end of the Norfolk Island Airstrip because Air Traffic Control felt that it was too risky to park it with the rest of us. The frame was so stretched that you could put your hand complete up between the nacelle & the wing without any risk of scratching yourself. The kite had more leaks than a colander: I wouldn't have risked riding in it to the taxiway, let the hell alone a take-off.
Agreed, stick forward to combat a stall: if you're that scared you'd be be better off leaving it completely alone, surely? Even us non-pilots know that. Makes you wonder what 'stick' the Frog thought he was holding onto!!

cheers

Languid