XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

System Faults, No Start 2007 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rats

Never ending mystery. While pulling fuse 28 I discovered a Rat nest. Baby Ray's in a nest of Jaguar insulation and tree leaves below the fuse box. So rats must have chewed wiring? Now I need a special tool to reach down and remove the rats and then look for a chewed wire.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

If these checks don't solve your problem; PM Brutal. He is a Jaguar technician and is on the Forum fairly often. He may be able to help.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

This thread has me thinking, especially with the weather around here lately. Is there any surge threat to our cars if the power goes out and then back on while the ctek is hooked up to the battery??

Old 08-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Try this.

Insert the ignition key and turn it to the on position and then attempt to start the engine (crank over), the engine wont start. With the key still in the run position wait 10 minutes and the security light should blink and then go out. Turn the key off and wait 5 seconds.

Best regards, Bob G.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

There is no key.

I am thinking the rat's nest is the culprit. They will eat your wiring...check all around that area for chewed wires.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Hello Chasr.

OK. All my Jaguars have keys, so I did not realize your does not.

Try these as appropriate, before you go tearing into the damaged harness. Some of these are written for FOB activation, others are not.

Getting your car started is 90% of the solution.

The article even mentions about power failure and spikes. Once the car is immobilized, you get the issues you described.

Then, if you have to, take it to the closest garage that can repair or replace the harness.

Good luck.

How to Reset a Security System

Need to reset the security light alarm in your car? We are a team of ASE certified mechanics that have created this guide for you to help save you money and get you back on the road. If the security light is blinking the immobilizer system is enabled and will not allow the car to start.

What Goes Wrong?

Most cars today have a security system built into the electrical system (BCM - Body control module) to deter from theft. The problem is it can sometimes stop the person that owns the car from starting the engine as well. These anti-theft systems can sometimes get the operational sequence out of sync which makes the system think the car is getting stolen epically after a repair job. This can sometimes happen when there is no one in the car but the window is rolled down while the car is locked. Someone will reach their hand inside and unlock any of the doors. Another common way for the system becoming triggered is to simply disconnect the battery to install a new unit or if the battery is allowed to go dead and then jump started. These can sometimes cause an electrical surge triggering the immobilizer system.

How Does it Work?

Car alarms are designed to prevent burglary of the car and warn the owner if a theft attempt is being made. Usually a car alarm will output a high pitched sound when the system is triggered by vibration, closed or opened trigger switches or sensing of small and fast changes in battery voltage. Car alarms can also monitor sensors like infrared, microwave, ultrasound or tilting of the vehicle in the case of unauthorized towing. Some cars have alarm systems which send out SOS signals to a cell phone number in case of breakdown or theft. Alarm systems are also incorporated within a navigation system to increase the security of the car. The navigation system will send out a ping signal so the car can be received.

SPONSORED LINKS

The security system can also be used to locate the car in large parking lots by using the conformation chirp on the remote fob. Sometimes a car alarm can give out a false alarm when it feels vibrations of thunder or a passing truck. Sensors need to be adjusted properly otherwise it can trigger the device even when a person accidentally touches the automobile as well.

For people who want added security for their cars can have a police tracking system installed with the help of services like On Star. These systems come with an additional cost which is to be paid on a regular basis.

Security systems utilize a remote controller (key fob) so a user can disable the alarm from a distance. The remote control feature is very convenient if the system is triggered by a false alarm. A key fob can integrate a variety of functions such as a LCD screen option which can project the image of a part of a vehicle that is under threat by a thief is one example.

Can I Bypass My Car Alarm?

A simple response to this question is in most cases no. Security systems are designed throughout the main PCM and BCM which control a major part of the vehicle's operating system. Until this system is enabled many systems such as fuel and ignition are shut down.

What We Did

We called name brand dealerships and told the service writer (who sometimes got us a technician) a car we bought from them is in the parking lot with a mom waiting to pick up her kids from school with the alarm light flashing and the car wont start, this worked pretty well. We have noted down their responses. Hopefully you can gather enough information from us and them to get your car going again. We have noticed popular similarities in almost all cars which are pretty generic which we have listed below.

SPONSORED LINKS

Security Reset Instructions

This is a generic alarm immobilizer reset procedure and it applies to most vehicles.

Step 1: Drivers Door Key Reset

Exit the car with all doors closed and the windows rolled up. Also close and any rear doors such as the trunk, rear hatch and front hood. Lock the car using the drivers side lock and walk away from the car at least ten feet. Wait for fifteen minutes and unlock the door, this should reset the security system.

Step 2: Activate the Key Fob

Many manufactures will not allow the car to start when the panic button has been pushed. Hold down the panic button for five seconds to reset the immobilizer.

SPONSORED LINKS

Next, push the lock button two times and wait ten feet away from the car for ten minutes.

Then hit the unlock button on the fob twice this should deactivate the security system which should be accompanied by exterior lights flashing or an audible horn beep.

Each of these steps should be followed by the cancellation of the security light. If this light is blinking while you are trying to crank and start the engine the system is not reset.

SPONSORED LINKS

Step 3: Turn the Ignition On

Many immobilizer systems need to see the power utilized from each power input delivered from the ignition switch. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the on position and then attempt to start the engine (crank over), the engine wont start. With the key still in the run position wait 10 minutes and the security light should blink and then go out. Turn the key off and wait 5 seconds. Repeat these steps for a total for 3, 10 minute cycles. The car is now ready to relearn the Passlock code the next time the key is used, any trouble codes will clear after 100 cycles of the key.

Step 4: Remove the Alarm Fuse

The alarm fuse is located in the fuse panel of most cars. Using the owner's manual remove the fuse which will power down the security system. At this point the car will not start, reinsert the fuse to reactive the system. This is known as a soft reboot of the immobilizer.

Step 5: Disconnect Battery

Sometimes the anti theft system can out of sync due to a voltage spike or an operational error. Start by removing the battery's negative cable and leave it disconnected for five minutes then reconnect the battery. This will allow the security system to perform a hard reboot and reset the alarm protocol to help the immobilizer start working in the proper sequence.

Acura and Honda Security System Reset Information

Call to the dealer and this was their response: Unlock the car with the key fob then get into the car and close the door. Insert the key into the ignition and turn the key on and wait for 90 seconds. If that doesn't work raise the hood and disconnect the battery from the negative terminal. While the key is in the ignition and in the on position reconnect the battery. If there is the Honda added security box installed at the lower left side of the kick panel turn the ignition key to the on position. Locate the small button on the box and hold it down for 90 seconds and the alarm will bypass.

Audi Immobilizer Reset Instructions

Call to the dealer, this was their response: With the ignition key try to start the vehicle. Exit the vehicle and lock all door with the windows up, then unlock the doors using the key fob the engine should start. Disconnect the battery using the negative cable wait one minute and reconnect.

SPONSORED LINKS

BMW Alarm Reset Procedure

Call to the dealer, the service writer got us one of their technicians to help us and this was his response: unlock the vehicle with the key fob twice to recognize the key is valid. Push the panic button twice to disable the alarm. Roll the windows up and lock the car. Let the car sit for five minutes while being more than 10 feet away then unlock the car. Do not disconnect the car battery because the alarm system has a rolling code that may get mixed up when reconnecting the battery.

Dodge Chrysler Jeep Alarm Reset

Call to the dealer, this was their response: Disconnect the battery for one minute and then reconnect the battery this should reset the immobilizer system. To disarm the alarm system press the unlock button on the key fob.

Cadillac Chevy GMC and Other GM Security Reset

Call to the dealer, this was their response: Exit the vehicle and unlock the car using the key fob. Insert the key into the outside door handle and turn it right and then left to lock and unlock. This can be done to either the driver's or passenger door. Insert the ignition key and crank the engine over. Hold the panic button down to disable the alarm. Push unlock button and try starting it. If that doesn't work disconnect the car battery by removing the negative cable end. The pass lock sensor that controls the security system is built into the key tumbler or tumbler case which reads a chip inside the key. This chip is generally unseen.

On older GM cars two small wires will break near the tumbler which will activate the system. In this case the tumbler must be repaired or replaced.

Ford Lincoln Mercury Reset of the Immobilizer System

Call to the dealer, this is their response: Hold the panic button on the key fob for 2 seconds. Close all of the doors and while using the key lock and use the key to unlock the lock the driver's door. If that doesn't work remove the negative battery cable for 15 seconds and reconnect.

Hyundai Security Reset Method

Call to the dealer, here is their response: Hit the unlock button on the fob three or fours of times and press panic button once. Lock and unlock the driver's door using the key.

SPONSORED LINKS

Mercedes Benz Alarm Reset Method

Call into the dealer, this is their response: Install the key in the ignition and turn to the unlock position unlock. Using the key fob hit panic button. Remove the negative battery cable for five minutes and reconnect.

Nissan Infiniti Security Reset

Call into the dealer, this is their response: Using the fob hit unlock button. Use the ignition key to start the car. Use the key to unlock the driver's door. Remove the negative battery cable and then reconnect.

Toyota Lexus Immobilizer Reset

We called the dealer here is their response: Lock the car and shut all doors, then use the key to unlock the driver's door. Push and hold down the panic button on the remote. With no one in the car lock and unlock the car using the key remote. Disconnect the battery and reconnect as a last resort.

Volkswagen Security System Reset

To deactivate the anti-theft system use the unlock button on the remote key. Unlock the driver's door using the key and then switch the ignition switch to the on position. If that doesn't work exit the vehicle and roll up all windows, then use the key to lock the driver's door. Wait for fifteen minutes and unlock the drivers door using the key, start the engine within 15 seconds of opening the door.

To see alarm system questions and answers please visit our forum. If you need free car repair advice please ask our community of mechanics we are happy to help.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Default Problem Isolated

First of all, thank you to each of you for your keen insights and eagerness to assist. What a great group of guys! I really appreciate all of you. Rats the culprit. Rats nested below the engine compartment fuse box and once evicted I followed wires, finding a red wire from the fuse box chewed completely through, as seen in this pic. A quick connection and Varooom, that spine chilling sound heard once again. I think I caught this before too much damage could be done. The car will be going to the Jaguar Dealer next week, under its own power for a complete inspection to make sure all else is okay. Hope this never happens to any of you. Our cat passed a couple of months ago. He once guarded the vehicle. See below for the wire pic. I have not looked this up yet to know how it is labeled but will. Thanks again.

Guard cat, his last day on the job.

The following 5 users liked this post by chasr:
Cee Jay (08-08-2019), kj07xk (08-07-2019), peterv8 (08-08-2019), ralphwg (08-07-2019), Sean W (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Great news and a cheap, albeit gross fix. Congrats!

ralphwg (08-07-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Nice to be able to find it yourself! Could have costed you if a garage had to find the fault.:-)

Old 08-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Default Fixed

Quick update for anyone interested. After removing the rat nest and repairing the visibly chewed wires I was able to start and drive the car from the Keys to the Jaguar Fort Lauderdale dealership. That saved me about $600 in tow charges. The technician found and removed a second rat nest in the left front fender well, repaired the wires, completed a thorough inspection and diagnostics, all now perfect. I was lucky to catch this early on. Got in and out of the dealership for under $700 for this work and they provided me with a loaner vehicle for a couple of days while they had the car. I can't say enough about this dealership and Diane the service manager, I drive both my cars up there annually for service, takes a whole day up and back with service, but she makes certain the experience with Jaguar service is exceptional.

vintageyz (12-16-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR Battery / Short

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
OK. You're probably at your wits end. And there are a lot of folks suggesting valid ideas that do not help.

So, time to cheat the computer. Find the inertia switch-sensor. Mine is inside my driver's door jam (2001 XKR). This little device enables some of the relays and disables others. Follow the wiring diagram. Short out the terminals. When you turn the key to position I (dashboard, but do not crank), only a few lights should illuminate. Take a picture with your iPhone (or equivalent). Send it to me with a private message.

I'll try to attach the electrical diagram wiring diagram for my car. Your will be different, but not much. Download the wiring diagram book for your car ... it's somewhere on the Jaguar Forums web site. What your are trying to do is figure out where the power to the starter motor is blocked. Odds are the computer thinks something is set or not set, and then everything fails. All you need is an ohmmeter and a voltmeter. Take your time. Think of the satisfaction when you fix it yourself and don't have to tow it to the dealer, who probably is 100 miles away.

Keep me posted. I only as far away as Tampa.

Very respectfully, Bob G.
Folks,
Having a related potential battery/wiring harness short issue in my 05 XKR. Intermittently, all dash lights show but starter won't crank. Checked out battery and alternator, all good. Went to battery in trunk to check terminal connections, everything tight. Then slightly moved the harness and piggyback yellow (+) and black (-) terminal connection wires (not sure what those are?) and it cranks perfectly. This procedure works every time it won't crank. It seems obvious the problem is in wiring at the battery site. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by dan314
Folks,
Having a related potential battery/wiring harness short issue in my 05 XKR. Intermittently, all dash lights show but starter won't crank. Checked out battery and alternator, all good. Went to battery in trunk to check terminal connections, everything tight. Then slightly moved the harness and piggyback yellow (+) and black (-) terminal connection wires (not sure what those are?) and it cranks perfectly. This procedure works every time it won't crank. It seems obvious the problem is in wiring at the battery site. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Ask your question in the X100 forum. This forum is for the X150

Old 09-17-2019, 05:43 PM

sounds like an intermittent ground from battery to chassis. try tightening ground strap on chassis stud, or run separate cable to ground point.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks, good thought. Checked all ground connections (strap and three other from harness) everything real snug. It’s seems like it’s got to be something going on with the piggyback yellow (+) and black (-) wires that are directly connected to battery poles, then disappear into cab. Just Moving these works every time when it won’t crank. Do know what these piggyback wires are for.
Thanks

Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 PM

hello dan314. i searched my copy of the jaguar xk electrical guide for ALL connections to the battery. only power out and ground shown. no yellow wire is shown (period). please let me ask some easy questions. did someone own the car before you? how thick (gauge) is the yellow wire - same as all signal wires or larger? are there any non-standard items installed that need battery power BEFORE starting? can you remove or disconnect the yellow wire? if so, does the car still start/run?

you said these wires "disappear" into vehicle. do they go through the rear firewall where gas tank is located? do they run through either wheel well?

Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

A few pictures would be nice along with the information Robert has asked about...

Old 09-19-2019, 03:13 PM

hi dan314. without seeing this, i'm guessing. here's a thought for consideration. perhaps a prior owner had wired a kill switch? the yellow/black wires might go to a device to prevent starting the car. perhaps that device has failed, such that moving the yellow wire temporarily bypasses the device. just a guess.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

+1
Originally Posted by sov211
The battery is not good and the symptoms you cite are perfect examples of the symptoms caused by a faulty/ low battery in these cars. The various modules need full battery voltage all the time. If they don't get it, they behave as you have described. How old is the battery? More than 4 years old? Even using a battery tender will not do anything more than mask a failing battery for a while. There are many, many threads on this issue.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Time to get a cat for the cat?

Originally Posted by chasr
First of all, thank you to each of you for your keen insights and eagerness to assist. What a great group of guys! I really appreciate all of you. Rats the culprit. Rats nested below the engine compartment fuse box and once evicted I followed wires, finding a red wire from the fuse box chewed completely through, as seen in this pic. A quick connection and Varooom, that spine chilling sound heard once again. I think I caught this before too much damage could be done. The car will be going to the Jaguar Dealer next week, under its own power for a complete inspection to make sure all else is okay. Hope this never happens to any of you. Our cat passed a couple of months ago. He once guarded the vehicle. See below for the wire pic. I have not looked this up yet to know how it is labeled but will. Thanks again.

Guard cat, his last day on the job.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
hello dan314. i searched my copy of the jaguar xk electrical guide for ALL connections to the battery. only power out and ground shown. no yellow wire is shown (period). please let me ask some easy questions. did someone own the car before you? how thick (gauge) is the yellow wire - same as all signal wires or larger? are there any non-standard items installed that need battery power BEFORE starting? can you remove or disconnect the yellow wire? if so, does the car still start/run?

you said these wires "disappear" into vehicle. do they go through the rear firewall where gas tank is located? do they run through either wheel well?
Hey Robert, you might be onto something. The wires are narrow gauge. They go through side of firewall and I see a single small cable going from under back seat into console where the Sirius control module is located (which I never use). So it seems the black and yellow wires could power the Sirius radio system that was on the car when I bought it. Think I should just disconnect them? If so do I need to be careful not to disconnect the battery as I’ve heard it causes problems with faults?
Thanks
Dan

Quick Reply: System Faults, No Start 2007 XKR