XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The ticket is still under contest... we'll see.

I have other favorite roads, but none with that view. I drive Redwood Rd, Mines Rd, and Palomares Canyon Rd here in the east bay, and Skyline/84 on the peninsula...

Old 12-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
That AWD Tesla is gonna be a beast. Please never line up with me at Sonoma Weds. night drags, OK?
He should get a set of drag racing radials on a 2nd set of wheels. That Tesla will be the talk of the strip!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Any updates on the delivery of this Tesla? Reviews, photos etc?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
What is your range? That's an expensive commuter car...
Exactly my take on the Tesla. Gorgeous car, superb acceleration, nice interior BUT... it is a commute car. If it fits one's use patterns, great. I would not fit mine as I do regular longer distance driving where "range anxiety" would present its ugly head. From reports I have read, the claimed range of the Tesla can be reduced easily to one-third by factors, such as cold weather, darkness, use of lights, accessories, air conditioner, etc. Just taking it to the airport, 140 miles away, would make me think twice. Every time I've been to the airport I noted that all of the very few charging stations were occupied. So, possibly not enough range to get me home after my trip...

Like I said, if it fits your primary usage patterns, you got a great car. But, you almost HAVE TO keep a gasoline powered car for trips longer than the minimum range of the Tesla. Thus, I would keep the XKR. The Tesla may out accelerate the XKR but, that sound.... you'd have to install some seriou stereo sounds in the Tesla just to re-create it :-).

Last edited by axr6; 12-14-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Skeeter:

Whats up with the Tesla? Did you get it? We never heard back from you after you got us involved and interested in your post.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

He's too busy playing with it ;-)

Old 12-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok, ok, I thought I'd generated more bad feelings than interest so have been holding off on a review. But given a request or two, Here are my impressions after a handful of days of ownership. Expect a longer one (if you all are interested) in a week, when I've had her for a week of dry weather. The roads in NorCal are still drying in my area, but here goes...

Not overwhelmed. Yet. But also not ready to say it isn't the most amazing car I've ever owned and then some.

For starters I personally have a hard time letting bad experiences go, and the 'delivery' process (I picked the car up where it is built) was far from what it should've been. This was starting to sour me on the entire experience, but recognize that this is more of a personal trait than necessarily a factually warranted reaction. So I started on the angry side, not good.

Then the day I pick up the car was probably the heaviest rain we've seen in years, making the whole thing more bleak and preventing me from drowning my growing bitterness in blistering 0 to 60 sprints. Add to this a one hour tour of the factory where they didn't show with anything related to the batteries were the electric motors, a complete waste of time, a two plus hour Friday afternoon gridlock drive home at ten mph and I was eager to get the car home and wait for dry weather and inviting roads.

As to the car, I find it far more attractive than I expected it to be. Can't think of too many five person seating sedans that look much better in fact, certainly up there with the XJ imo, but more aggressive looking. Looks like they drew inspiration from our xkr's to me. All the body tolerances are extraordinarily high standard, body gaps perfect, surfaces a+ feel and fit.

Interior build quality varies from very high to low. There is no center console. Instead there is an open space between the front seats with a low edged bin. I managed to be one of the lucky ones to get the upgraded "next generation" seats, at least up front. The rear seats are the previous generation and will be replaced as soon as production allows. The new front seats are extremely nice Recaros, with just the right firmness and massive amounts of lateral support, though minimal adjustability compared to our jags. The steering wheel is magnificent. Very dense and thick in the right places, near perfect diameter and super solid. I won't talk much about the rear seats, as they will be replaced in a month or so, but in general the backseat area is extremely spacious, with a flat floor providing comfort for even a center passenger, and copious room for three six-foot plus passengers back there.

I'm shocked that the complete lack of storage space from the driver seat. There are no map pockets in the front door panels, which are otherwise works of art with unparalleled support for your left arm when in a driving position, cool led under lighting, but strangely positioned door pulls and handles. There is no enclosed center console, though I have one on order (again, jan/feb of 2015). This should satisfy some of the storage lacks, but how this isn't stock is a mystery...

Instead the dash and magnificent control screen end towards the floor, capped by the cheapest piece in the car: a pathetically thin and slippery-feeling plastic cubby hole 2"x6" or so, lined with a cheap piece of thin rubber and held in place with four weak door panel type clips. I know because when I went to put my phone in it I pushed down and it came completely detached, revealing a tangle of wiring harness. Not off to a good start and I hadn't even moved a foot in her yet! Ok, so final assembly messed up, I pushed it in more firmly, the clips grabbed fine, and the piece is now 100% solidly attached, though still cheap feeling. Hardly a Jag quality interior overall, though there are some high points.

But on to driving dynamics, the main reason I bought this thing in the first place. Yesterday was the first day I had to take it out on semi dry roads. There's no question that this thing is ungodly fast from a dig, or even a roll. The torque that can be summoned up instantaneously is impressive, though not as mind-warping as I was expecting. Blame it on the rain, lol... My passenger, who I did not warn when dropping the hammer from about 15 miles an hour had a different impression. He told me that if I did that if I did it again that he would vomit all over the dash of my fancy new car, and he didn't seem to have much levity and his voice when he said this. The lack of warning, downshift, or engine noise took him by surprise, slamming his head into the headrest until I let off seconds later.

So I'll have to see whether I have unrealistic expectations, am poisoned by the subpar delivery experience, or if the rain slicked (but not entirely wet) roads made the car less explosive then it will be on dry asphalt.

As to the silence of the car, there is an unexpected upside: a very slight, high-pitched turbine sounding whine which comes from the front motor under aggressive/full tilt acceleration. Love it, sounds like a faint jet engine spinning up, hardly loud but clearly audible with everything off and the windows up. Otherwise it is very much the ufo experience: instant torque, near total silence. Ghostly and for now I miss the roar of a well tuned exhaust and keep reaching for the up shift paddle with my right fingers! Old habits...

Hopefully with dry roads and the car realizing it's full acceleration potential, I'll have more good things to say. The car does everything you ask of it early effortlessly, laughing at your attempts to push it harder. You just run out of road in seconds. Handling is far, far beyond expectations, and the ride quality is excellent. Tight but comfortable, hinting at performance but driven normally almost imperceptible as a performance car.

To give you the only small comparison/illustration I can provide after a few days of driving I offer the following: there is an extraordinarily steep road with a straightaway up behind the area I live. The straightaway leads to a near right angle counter banked turn which is very challenging to take at speed. I have always used this steep hill, usually untrafficked, as a measuring stick for my cars acceleration and ability to handle a challenging turn by stopping at the bottom of the steep hill straightaway and sprinting up the hill and attempting to carry as much speed into the turn that banks the wrong way... It's easy to stage at the bottom of the hill and make sure nobody is on the road and feels like a safe enough spot to test.

The E55AMG could hit nearly sixty heading up, but only carry 40 or so after the turn (heavy braking into the turn or bad things could happen).

The XKR can approach the high sixties, maybe low seventies with a perfect launch and if I could look down at the speedo going into the turn, then down to the high fifties through the turn.

Today the the P85D hit a blistering 82 heading up the steep and fairly short straight away, and without ideal launch conditions. I feared the turn given the car's mass, but as I got on the brakes I found that I could comfortably take the turn in the high 60's, surely capable of more (I need some time with her before pushing).

But obviously to a certain extent apples and oranges, no? A big brute of a car, near flawless where I care the most, but so different. Today I managed a couple pulls that felt closer to expectations, hopefully a week of sunshine will make the car shine. Think I'll spend all day tomorrow in the Jag, it's been a week or two & I miss the sexy lines and engine rumble... Can't see living without her now that I see how different the experience is.

Ok, more later when I have more than 111 miles on the clock.

Skeeter

The following 7 users liked this post by Skeeter:
Bruce H. (12-23-2014), Bruce M. (12-24-2014), Muddydog (12-23-2014), Ngarara (12-23-2014), ralphwg (12-24-2014), sharx8 (12-24-2014), TheMCP (12-23-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

It sounds like Tesla has managed to get both straight-line performance & handling; it was the latter that I was interested in learning about, since the 0-60 time was already impressive. Even though I prefer the sound & fury of a V8 ICU, this is the future - and it's nice to know that it won't mean pottering about in boring plug-in shoeboxes.

I wonder what the next sports model will be like?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

No doubt the Tesla is one sharp looking car. Personally, I think that when comparing the exteriors, the XJL still have a styling edge, particularly the side profile. Needless to say that styling preferences are very personal. With the interior, particularly the electronics, the Jaguar falls far behind.

Also no doubt, it is a BEAST on acceleration. Electric motors develop huge amounts of torque.

What I'd like to read from you in the future is the range that you get under various conditions and your experience with charging on trips-away from home. We know the factory claim is 300+ miles, likely to be met only under ideal highway conditions. From owner's reports I had seen as little as 120 miles/charge ranges, under adverse driving conditions.

I have known a number of Type C personalities in my life that would drive-by an open gas station in the remote mountains, at midnight, with his gas gauge showing "Empty" but, I am not one of them. That range anxiety could take a toll on my enjoyment of any electric vehicle, particularly over those dark mountain roads, not even knowing where the next charging station might be... For that reason alone, at this time I appreciate an electric design, such as the Chevy Volt that has a gasoline charging motor to provide backup. Of course, huge difference in quality and prestige but, I'm only comparing the execution of the concept.

I wish you lots of enjoyment with the Tesla. It is a beautiful prestige car with great performance to boot. Myself, I need to wait for better range and a much more developed charging network along even secondary highways.

The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Great review, thanks for sharing.

They purposely don't exhibit the manufacturing areas for the motors and batteries, as I had much the same tour experience at the plant. And I enjoyed my tour... but then again, I wasn't there waiting to pick up a new car.

Here in the bay area the Model S is hugely popular as a commuter car, and I'd venture a guess that 95% of owners never intend to use their Tesla for road trips. They probably have an SUV or similar for the occasional long trip.

As for handling, the Tesla carries a lot of weight -- but at a freakishly low center of gravity. They've selected big contact patches on the car, and get brake boosting from the regenerative cycling of the motors... it really is a totally new way to engineer performance.

Rich

Skeeter (12-24-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Very interesting review. Once the tour and delivery fade from memory, and the sun shines again, it sounds like you're really going to enjoy this car. Don't sweat the car's random short-comings (all cars have them), but enjoy it for the reasons you chose it.

Looking forward to your next review installment!

Skeeter (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I'm also shocked when friends are running low and don't refuel at the first opportunity, drives me crazy. I also am pretty fastidious (or OCD, lol) about keeping my cars fuel tanks topped off, and it is rubbing off on the Tesla already. I'll come home with 170 miles of projected range left in the batteries and STILL feel like I need to plug her in and top it off. Range anxiety has already set in and I've barely driven the car!

As far as the model I have, set to the settings I put it in, there isn't a chance on earth that I'll get anywhere near 300 miles on a full charge. No way any car enthusiast driving a P85D set to 'Insane' mode will get even close. I think, given the way I drive and the constant temptation to summon up what feels like bottomless and instantaneous torque, I'll be lucky to get 200. And I don't have to factor in things some of you may (freezing temperatures, snow, etc).

But 200 miles is pretty far, and barring a road trip this shouldn't be more than a passing concern.

Between Tesla charging stations, RV campgrounds with 240 volt connections available, and parking lots with charging stations, it's hard to map out a trip I'm likely to take that won't allow for charging every 100 miles, let alone 200 or more. There are some great apps that show the locations of all publicly accessible charging stations (the car already routes you to the closest Tesla charging stations), you'd be shocked how many there are between the various places even in fairly obscure locations.

But yes, that is definitely, for now, an obvious downside. In reality I take one or two major road trips a year, almost always along major routes. So the ability to refuel at home for virtually nothing will probably offset feeling nervous on long trips and worrying about getting stranded.

In any event, this is a good excuse for keeping a world-class grand touring car capable of luxurious performance over long trips in the stable. I'm definitely NOT ready to have the Tesla as my only car, and am super happy with the XKR of late. Each plays their role well.

Hopefully I'll have more impressions on the Tesla over the holidays, no rain is projected for a good week and I've plenty of driving to do and visitors to ferry around.

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-24-2014 at 03:33 PM.
axr6 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Since the Tesla uses LiIon batteries, keeping them topped up ought to prolong their life. LiIon doesn't suffer from the 'memory effect' that used to plague NiCd cells, it's the number and depth of the discharge/charge cycles that cause the capacity to decline over time. So your instinct to plug it in even when it has plenty of range left is probably the right one (unless Tesla is specifically recommending something different).

Old 12-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Whether he's optimizing the life out of the batteries or not is not likely a concern especially when compared to any other hybrid, Tesla has an extremely long warranty on their batteries AND with the swapping stations for $80 he can have a different fully charged one installed in 3 mins -

Tesla's new battery swap station will give electric vehicles a full charge in 3 minutes flat | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

No longer is longevity a thought. Elon has thought this thing through on many different levels

Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a great writeup! Congrats on the new ufo experience... aside from the speed how is what is going to be important long term? Like comfort, ride, fit and finish of the car?

Keep it coming.....!

Juke

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Comfort and ride quality are A if not A+. I've had her out a couple of dry road days now and DAMN is this thing a wild ride!

Driven gently, passengers have given no indication of knowing that the car is fast. People are blown away by the near total silence of the thing and no comments on the ride quality means (to me) that it rides like any sedan they are used to.

In contrast, when driven harder on dry roads (at last!), it is an absolutely bogglingly fast car. Just insane torque snap from nowhere, instantly and without limit. I was just watching a video where they strapped an identical P85D on to a four wheel dyno and got 864 lb.ft. of torque at the wheels. 864!

The car feels like it handles better than the xkr, but I'll need more time and better roads to safely measure. But I feel confident attacking curves that I need to back off on in the Jag. The AWD giving maximum traction to each wheel and crazy torque only help the car hit some shockingly fast speed through the few twisties I've had it on so far. The center of gravity must be responsible, as the car really seems hard to upset or surprise around bends.

I've gone from slightly bitter to shocked and amazed. The car feels ultra tight, utterly solidly built and well insulated from outside noise. I've never touched anything that feels this fast, and this is especially apparent from low speeds or a dig. From a 50 mph roll, being in a low gear in the XKR and having the rpm where I want it narrows the performance gap. But he Tesla still feels like a low flying UFO with unlimited power, slight turbine sounds and silence shoving the car to triple digits in shockingly short time.

Hard to see keeping up. And an utter blast in its own way. The technology is also incredibly well implemented after a few days of practice. The stereo (upgraded) is top notch, and as I said at the outset, it can easily be driven like a 'normal' sedan that happens to make almost no noise and soak up irregular pavement like a luxury biased sedan.

An absolute blast, glad to have put a couple hundred miles in the last few days, all on dry and fun roads. Can't wait to read 'real' reviews, but I suspect people will be shocked at how fast and powerful these things are.

I'm glad it is also fun to drive at normal speeds, I've had cars that beckon you to lower the hammer constantly, but I find that I'm good with only one or two brief stabs at the accelerator, on an uphill on ramp sprint to 70 for example, and then just blending in and enjoying the tech (nav, phone integration, etc) and super comfortable suspension and silent motors.

Thanks all for listening, that should do it for me. I'm fully bought in and loving the car, way beyond expectations...

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 12-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skeeter:
Bruce H. (12-28-2014), Ngarara (12-28-2014), ralphwg (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Comfort and ride quality are A if not A+. I've had her out a couple of dry road days now and DAMN is this thing a wild ride!

Driven gently, passengers have given no indication of knowing that the car is fast. People are blown away by the near total silence of the thing and no comments on the ride quality means (to me) that it rides like any sedan they are used to.

In contrast, when driven harder on dry roads (at last!), it is an absolutely bogglingly fast car. Just insane torque snap from nowhere, instantly and without limit. I was just watching a video where they strapped an identical P85D on to a four wheel dyno and got 864 lb.ft. of torque at the wheels. 864!

The car feels like it handles better than the xkr, but I'll need more time and better roads to safely measure. But I feel confident attacking curves that I need to back off on in the Jag. The AWD giving maximum traction to each wheel and crazy torque only help the car hit some shockingly fast speed through the few twisties I've had it on so far. The center of gravity must be responsible, as the car really seems hard to upset or surprise around bends.

I've gone from slightly bitter to shocked and amazed. The car feels ultra tight, utterly solidly built and well insulated from outside noise. I've never touched anything that feels this fast, and this is especially apparent from low speeds or a dig. From a 50 mph roll, being in a low gear in the XKR and having the rpm where I want it narrows the performance gap. But he Tesla still feels like a low flying UFO with unlimited power, slight turbine sounds and silence shoving the car to triple digits in shockingly short time.

Hard to see keeping up. And an utter blast in its own way. The technology is also incredibly well implemented after a few days of practice. The stereo (upgraded) is top notch, and as I said at the outset, it can easily be driven like a 'normal' sedan that happens to make almost no noise and soak up irregular pavement like a luxury biased sedan.

An absolute blast, glad to have put a couple hundred miles in the last few days, all on dry and fun roads. Can't wait to read 'real' reviews, but I suspect people will be shocked at how fast and powerful these things are.

I'm glad it is also fun to drive at normal speeds, I've had cars that beckon you to lower the hammer constantly, but I find that I'm good with only one or two brief stabs at the accelerator, on an uphill on ramp sprint to 70 for example, and then just blending in and enjoying the tech (nav, phone integration, etc) and super comfortable suspension and silent motors.

Thanks all for listening, that should do it for me. I'm fully bought in and loving the car, way beyond expectations...

Skeeter
Sounds like fun. Enjoy it.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Well that's high praise indeed. It sounds like it's a great performer, and a good fit along with your XKR for varying uses and moods...congrats again!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

All this rhetoric and not one picture. Bring em on and let's have a look at it.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Skeeter,
Your experiences mirror those of a friend of mine who got one as well. His 911 rarely comes out of the garage any longer as he enjoys the Tesla so much.
Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Taking delivery of the Fast Tesla on December 1