XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Taking a poll on brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

OK so you have me curious so I'll have to go measure my 12 XKR rear pads. Does anyone know what the new pad thickness is and is there a tutorial on how to replace the rear pads along with resetting the E-brake system. Can this be done by the DIY'er without having the method to go into the OBDII port to do any SW reset. Oh also what is the min/max rotor thickness. I'm just about to hit 16K miles on the OEM brakes so if what some are saying I'll need to do the rears but will determine that when I take a measurement.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,430 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I beg to differ. While I havent invested in a flasher unit, I've gotten into the habit of turning on my hazards briefly when traffic slows down considerably in front of me or stops. I've noticed when I do that, the car behind me brakes a lot sooner and backs off my tail. As far as the brakes, it appears to me that my fronts wear out twice as fast as my rears............
The "Distracting" quote was from whomever decided to not allow flashing brake lights-to-hard pedal press, not me. I've ALWAYS thought that the US should have the "Harder you press the brake pedal, the faster the lights flash" system. It only makes sense. "They" may have changed their minds about it in the last several years, but it was introduced as a system probably 15 years ago when the US kibashed it. I think??? it was Cadillac tried to introduce it once.
I haven't noticed, but I still don't think flashing brake lights can be had from any car maker in the US. Aftermarket, sure. I dunno.
My fronts also wear out sooner, so you and I have no differences.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

I must admit that I have not read all the posts. I did change my OEM pads immediately after purchase 2 1/2 years ago to ceramics. The OEM pads were horrific with dust, and noise. I don't drive much, but now there is virtually no dust, zero noise, and they look as if they came out of the box. Ceramics are the way to go with any sports car these days unless the car is raced. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK so you have me curious so I'll have to go measure my 12 XKR rear pads. Does anyone know what the new pad thickness is and is there a tutorial on how to replace the rear pads along with resetting the E-brake system. Can this be done by the DIY'er without having the method to go into the OBDII port to do any SW reset. Oh also what is the min/max rotor thickness. I'm just about to hit 16K miles on the OEM brakes so if what some are saying I'll need to do the rears but will determine that when I take a measurement.
New pads are around 10mm thick. Easy DIY. No special tool to reset the parking brake but you need a caliper tool to screw in the piston. No idea what the min thickness is.

Here's my DIY thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-136031/

You can also remove the bottom bolt on the slider of the caliper and flip up the assembly to remove the old pads. Then you can remove the caliper to get the disc off. This instead of using a grinder.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (04-19-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
New pads are around 10mm thick. Easy DIY. No special tool to reset the parking brake but you need a caliper tool to screw in the piston. No idea what the min thickness is.

Here's my DIY thread.

You can also remove the bottom bolt on the slider of the caliper and flip up the assembly to remove the old pads. Then you can remove the caliper to get the disc off. This instead of using a grinder.

fly2c you just beat me did mine after I closed the shop up tonight
Tools needs
Torque 7mm
15mm spanner / Rachet
Spray grease for slide pins
Caliper re-winder tool

Attached Thumbnails Taking a poll on brake wear-photo968.jpg   Taking a poll on brake wear-photo95.jpg  
Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Sweet.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c

Here's my DIY thread.

Ok I don't have a problem doing a brake job when needed but just wanted to know how the E-brake worked. I had a problem doing an Audi's rears as they had a E-brake motor on each caliper so it required getting into the ECU to reset it. Thanks for the pad thickness as I measured mine and have a little of 6mm on the back OEM pads at 16K miles. I also noticed that most pad replacements only list the XK and not the XKR. Is there a difference after the 2010 models.