XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Temperamental XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperamental XKR

2011 Jaguar XKR
110,XXX Miles
The jaguar has started having some of those fun pesky electrical issues and I wanted to get some tips from you DIY owners. Of what you think it may be it where I should start searching.

1: When driving low speeds I'm hearing a high pitch squeak. This has now started to advance to up to 30mph. Whenever I turn my wheels all the way to the right I hear a loud squeal as well. But not when turning left. I am assuming this would be my left wheel bearing? Did recently hit a pothole really hard. The steering wheel also has started being a bit Shakey.

2. At random my infotainment screen would keep rebooting and my Bluetooth has stopped working. I am going to assume this is the Bluetooth adapter under the driver seat.

3 When opening my driver door only it will engage my cooling fan at full speed until accessory power goes out. Someone said they had the same issue and it was a mis grounded wire to the driver headlight. They said a jaguar tech could find it with their diag tools. Trying to find out if there's a DIY way to do this.

4 The other day my parking brake stopped working and has done it a few times. A simple car reboot gets it working again. Assuming it's the parking brake relay / fuse?

5. Today when unlocking my car the passenger mirror stayed in the driver one folded out as normal. Then later started working again.

6. When locking my car sometimes it will not lock and I can tell by my mirrors not folding in and sometimes they do. At random.

7. My AC stopped working today and then started working again. Pressing the AC button I could feel the AC compressor start but I couldn't find the AC line to see if it was getting cold. Eventually it started working again. AC was recharged a year ago.

8. The other day I heard almost a clicking/grinding sound when parked from my left air vent for a few seconds then it stopped. Has happened a few times.

9. My horn has stopped working at random times not sure how to go about this.

10. I need to do the spark plugs would this be a simple job? I've heard there's not much difference in spark plugs and have seen prices all over the place wanted a suggestion on this.

11. My passenger seat will not recline forward. If you recline it back it will not let you recline it forward. Heard a simple seat reset at a dealer would fix this. Any DIY approach to this?

Besides these small pesky things the car works amazing.

Thanks for any tips or advice! Love my car and hope to keep it

Old 06-09-2021, 08:53 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

hmmm. 2011, 110000 miles. the obvious…. has everything rattled loose? Water ingress issue?
Check all grounding points, clean and reseat all modules, relays and fuses and sockets.
Have you hacked the electronics of the car? Fitted a different screen? Changed the radio, speakers, added a personalized gizmo?
Despite the naysayers…. battery, battery, battery.
And is the car and engine compartment clean enough that you could identify a worn wire, at a glance? Especially the grounding points.

I wash the engine compartment Very frequently but, I do “reseal” all connector ends with marine liquid electrical tape.

Without useful codes, its a game of hunt and peck.

The following users liked this post:
MintyCars (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by guy
hmmm. 2011, 110000 miles. the obvious…. has everything rattled loose? Water ingress issue?
Check all grounding points, clean and reseat all modules, relays and fuses and sockets.
Have you hacked the electronics of the car? Fitted a different screen? Changed the radio, speakers, added a personalized gizmo?
Despite the naysayers…. battery, battery, battery.
And is the car and engine compartment clean enough that you could identify a worn wire, at a glance? Especially the grounding points.

I wash the engine compartment Very frequently but, I do “reseal” all connector ends with marine liquid electrical tape.

Without useful codes, its a game of hunt and peck.

What would you recommend be the best way to clean modules relays and fuses? Everything is stock. Only has a Bluetooth receiver and a Garmin gps dashcam. No different screen. I believe the car had been in a minor fender bender on the left side.

Battery is a month or two old. Alternator went out a few months ago and then it was replaced and the old battery we found out was leaking that was replaced and has been amazing since.

If I find a worn wire what would be the best way to replace it? Would I have to look through a diag for the part number? Or would it say it on the wire shroud itself?

At the moment I believe the only error code I received was cooling fan issue but it works as expected except when opening and closing the driver door when it re activates for a minute or two.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 06-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Nearly everything you listed could be caused by a low battery situation. Doesn't matter if New Battery, New Alternator nor anything. Before you do anything else, make Quadruple-Sure your battery is FULLY charged. Not with any lame-o maintainer either. Charged with a battery Charger. For many, many hours.
If that doesn't do any good, then at least it didn't hurt anything nor cost much at all.

The following 6 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Cprhodes1999 (06-10-2021), guy (06-10-2021), MintyCars (06-09-2021), Sean W (06-10-2021), tberg (06-10-2021), tmich (06-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Nearly everything you listed could be caused by a low battery situation. Doesn't matter if New Battery, New Alternator nor anything. Before you do anything else, make Quadruple-Sure your battery is FULLY charged. Not with any lame-o maintainer either. Charged with a battery Charger. For many, many hours.
If that doesn't do any good, then at least it didn't hurt anything nor cost much at all.
With the drain from the fan running it won't let me keep a fully charged battery. It can kill my battery if I turn off the car off and on too frequently.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:26 AM
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Gotta agree, first point of call is battery. Or you have a plethora of different faults which is unlikely or very unlucky .☹️
your number one on the list could be low fluid in power steering system.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 04:15 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

@MintyCars , Please follow @Cee Jay ’s advice, first.
Think of it this way; each of the components of the car are managed by electronic components that have a voltage and current requirement. The thing is as one component is “enabled”, there will be less available for the next component, and so on.
Get in the habit of turning everything off. prior to shutting down the car.

The steering issue is as @Woo5ie suggests. But, I wouldn’t be topping it up. I’d change the reservoir and change the fluid.
Shaking can be a number of things…. tie rod ends? bushings? tires? wheels? For your safety, get it checked.
Once we’ve ruled out the power source, then we move systematically to the remaining problems.
Like your seat issue. This is a reprogramming situation.
As for routine maintenance, I’d deal with this battery situation first.
I’m not clear how much DIY experience you have. But you can get yourself into a real bad situation if your changing of the spark plugs goes wrong.
At 110000 miles, its time for a major service. Whether DIY or with a pro, this costs $$. After you deal with the battery, see the maintenance schedule in the stickies at the top of this forum. If you skip the maintenance…. more bad things will happen.
To get a sense of what might be involved, read @Ranchero50 ’s “Lets fix this green junk”.

Last edited by guy; 06-10-2021 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Plus 1 on this reply. Low battery. Replace the battery with one that is fully charged and then re-test.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely agree with many of the responses. Have to check the battery output voltage.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:04 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by MintyCars
With the drain from the fan running it won't let me keep a fully charged battery. It can kill my battery if I turn off the car off and on too frequently.
This seems to be the source of your problems. Charging and replacing a battery won't do anything until you solve the drain issue.

Then you can charge it, do a hard reset, and it should fix all the other stuff you got going on.

If you can't find anything here, download the electrical guide and get your self a multimeter. Also a good idea to check for bad grounds as mentioned earlier.