XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tesla Style Head Unit for X150

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 01:15 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As I understand it, for a reversing camera, there is a wire from the camera direct into the head unit and another wire breaking off that to the reversing lights. When the reverse lights come on, the camera comes on. Something like that anyway.

The following users liked this post:
Tiepolo (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 07:51 AM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Alboy,
My question was about an aftermarket camera I'm planing to install.
Runing a wire through the car might be boring, that's why, as with the Tesla screen the OEM DVD is useless, I was wondering if I could not recycle one of its wire runing to the central unit.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts
Default Wiring the camera OEM or Aftermarket

Originally Posted by Alboy
As I understand it, for a reversing camera, there is a wire from the camera direct into the head unit and another wire breaking off that to the reversing lights. When the reverse lights come on, the camera comes on. Something like that anyway.
If you already have an OEM camera, you need this to plug into the unit female universal fakra to male RCA for the new unit. The fakra end plugs into the cable you removed at the OEM touchscreen. The male ends connects to the unit. Nothing else is needed:

Originally Posted by Tiepolo
Thanks Alboy,
My question was about an aftermarket camera I'm planing to install.
Runing a wire through the car might be boring, that's why, as with the Tesla screen the OEM DVD is useless, I was wondering if I could not recycle one of its wire runing to the central unit.
No. Jaguar used GVIF tech (Gigabite Video Interface) which is the Blue plug feeding the map image from Navigation DVD player to the back of your touchscreen, along with MOST (fiber optics).

None of that will work with the new unit which uses RCA and you don't want to Destroy anything OEM. When you sell your car, you want to have all OEM wires cables etc in tact. You can disconnect the power connector from the navigation player if you like. Just tuck the unused cables and wires away.

Hi everyone,I'm wondering:
Do we have to keep the Navigation dvd player in the trunk as it's useless once the Tesla screen is installed, right?
If not, is it possible to use one of its wires to bring a Camera signal to the Tesla screen?? that'ld make the aftermarket backup camera installation easier,

Any idea about it?
Thanks.
You don't need it but why remove it? Just install the MOST bypass loop from the instructions. The best option for powering the aftermarket camera imo is the following, since you have to run the new camera's RCA Cable through the trans tunnel anyway for aftermarket installations.

I think trying to power off the reverse light is a waste of effort.

Use the reverse power signal at the auxiliary junction box connector CA023, wire 4. Orange and yellow wire for left hand drive cars. Wire will be orange and green for right hand drive.

Last edited by Sean W; 09-16-2023 at 04:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
barnsie (09-17-2023), McJag222 (09-16-2023), V7Sport (09-16-2023), wymjym (09-16-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is now in transit to the UK and is expected to arrive on Wednesday 20th, no doubt I'll be hit with taxes and import duty. I've ordered the DAB option which is just a USB device and it requires a separate app.

I was thinking of having a ELM327 connected to the OBD port to use with Torque Pro on the device, is this a bad idea? Is the OBD port permanently live?

I would presume the install removes power from the existing USB port under the arm rest, if so, does anyone have any invented ways for phone charging?

@Tiepolo Did yours arrive today?

Old 09-18-2023, 03:11 PM
Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

@Anks There are 2 usb cables so you can use one for DAB device and the other for charging. When you connect the usb cables to the back of the radio, there’s a 4 pin and a 6 pin…the 6 pin is data/charging, the 4 pin is data. The 4 pin will charge, but at a lesser rate. I tested the OEM usb in the console with a flash drive loaded with mp3 files and it works as OEM. It was recognized in Poweramp, the app I use for music with no changes in settings. I ran the charging usb under the trim on the side of the console and installed it next to the OEM usb using a dremel tool…

I have an OBDLink MX+ obd2 adapter plugged in all the time. Torque Pro works great with it and everything powers down after 10 minutes or so, or immediately if you lock the doors…

USB to connect the phone for charging

Old 09-18-2023, 08:43 PM

Thanks so much for all the precise infos @Sean W .
I'll definitely use your diagram to connect the camera .
I thought people were using the power straight from the tail lights.

Do you Know if the dynamic guidelines depends on the Screen or the Camera? Because I saw some aftermarket cameras claiming to have dynamic guidelines. So i hesitate which one I should take.
I hope I'll manage to run the wire through the car tunnel. is it possible to push it like when you're pulling electric line in drywall walls? Or does the leather panels have to be removed?

Thanks .

Old 09-18-2023, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Anks
Mine is now in transit to the UK and is expected to arrive on Wednesday 20th, no doubt I'll be hit with taxes and import duty. I've ordered the DAB option which is just a USB device and it requires a separate app.

I was thinking of having a ELM327 connected to the OBD port to use with Torque Pro on the device, is this a bad idea? Is the OBD port permanently live?

I would presume the install removes power from the existing USB port under the arm rest, if so, does anyone have any invented ways for phone charging?

Hello @Anks ,

In fact mine arrived Friday, so earlier than expected and I must say I'm very happy with it.
It appears Navihua cared about everything I asked according to @arenaej experience and thanks to the very calm and educational video from Sean, I installed it with no problem.

I had a question about the tiny "Tv Hosts"style microphone that came with the kit, wondering what was its purpose but it is apparently the dedicated microphone for voice command . At first I was anxious about its look but I finally managed to hide it in a place where it's very discret and I must say it's quite usefull to send messages and shift music without touching the screen. you can see it just over the ashtray, I run the cable between the junction of uper and lower central console and it's perfect and very easy . Still got to learn everything it can do though.

I made a change to the microphone that can be tricky if you're not used to DIY.
The microphone board is screwed on the top left side of the "tablet" and therefore the sound that goes to it through the tiny hole on top of the fascia is not great.
So I unscrewed it, pull the very tiny wire (REALLY TINY, like only 2 thin wires )off from the microphone board and solder longer wires in between.
Then ,once the tablet was in place I sticked the microphone board with string tape, so that the tiny 3mm diameter microphone fits in the dedicated place in the back of the fascia behind the pin hole.
You'll see what I mean when you'll get yours. The sound when calling is now good according to the people I called.

I was extremely pleased with the taxes as I had only 21Euros in import duties! Wich is nothing according to the 910euros of the shipped product. As I was recorded as a platinum customer on Alibaba thanks to my business, I ordered it as a Sample and I guess this is why i didn't had VAT over it.
So all in all, the price is fair.

Now, I haven't had much time to used it yet but at the moment I started streaming from youtube Music I was astonished by the Out of-the-Box jump in quality!
It's really impressive!
There's a proper stereo, you clearly hear instruments on the left, others on the right and effects on the back! Impressive compared to the former Alpine system!
And there's also much more details in the medium range, inaudible instruments such as triangles or bass, reappeared...
And all that without even taking the time to properly calibrate the equalizer .
I'm sure when I'll shift the front speakers with great ones as suggested in this thread by the experts, the sound will be really good.

I installed carwebguru launcher and it appears quite good and aesthetic although I haven't explored the personalization yet. Might try agama when the car will be back from the mechanics.

To install the antenas properly (GPS and WIFI) i took off the glove box and sticked them under the dashboard. Gps is between the dashboard and the top central vents, the wifi is up over the glovebox on the side of the airbag. Wish I could have gone further but my hands are too big.The Wifi is quite efficient to catch any network and the Gps is the same.

the only downside to me is the radio that seams to catch not much stations...
Haven't seen they offer a DAB decoder. Would you have a link? Doesn't it requires a specific antena from what I've read over here from people wishing to retrofit an OEM DAB decoder?

Some details I noticed:
I have the cooled seat buttons but I don't have the cooled seats, and apparently the defrosting windshield is lost , which is sad...or I don't know where to find it.
And I got anxious as no one stated that once you plugged everything in place, you got 2 extra wires form the car that stays unplugged .But it's apparently OK.

Quite happy with that purchase for now. Hope it'll stay as it is in the future.

The following 6 users liked this post by Tiepolo:
Alboy (09-18-2023), barnsie (09-19-2023), bgpenguin21 (09-20-2023), CotswoldRS (01-03-2024), McJag222 (09-18-2023), Sean W (09-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:19 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

the only downside to me is the radio that seams to catch not much stations...
Hi - nice job on the installation! I have a similar Android head unit in one of my cars, and I too found that the radio didn't pick up many stations. You may find, in the Settings somewhere, a setting for the radio's region. My unit was set to China when I received it. I changed it to Europe and it was much better. Some head units have a separate wire on the wiring harness marked 'antenna power' or something similar - if yours has this, connect it to the wire on the head unit marked something like 'antenna 12v' - this will boost the antenna signal.

Once installed, there is quite a big learning curve for the head unit settings (of which there are dozens) and also the launcher settings (of which there are dozens). It took me quite a while to get everything set the way I wanted it.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Thanks so much for all the precise infos @Sean W .
I'll definitely use your diagram to connect the camera .
I thought people were using the power straight from the tail lights.

Do you Know if the dynamic guidelines depends on the Screen or the Camera? Because I saw some aftermarket cameras claiming to have dynamic guidelines. So i hesitate which one I should take.
I hope I'll manage to run the wire through the car tunnel. is it possible to push it like when you're pulling electric line in drywall walls? Or does the leather panels have to be removed?

Thanks .
The reverse guides were built into the Tesla unit on mine. On my unit model, they weren't dynamic (they didn't curve with the car) so for me it made no difference. I added a back up camera long before the Tesla screens came out so my camera had the guidelines so I just turned them off on the unit.

With regard the fishing the RCA cable through the tunnel, sure, it might be possible. There are four Torx screws that anchor the center console side panels from the top. Two on each side if I recall. You have to remove the wood plate shift gate surround to access them as you know.

There also spring clips the run along the side which hold the leather side panel to the tunnel. If you can pull (pop) those out without removing the top screws then yes you can run the RCA camera cable along the side and tuck it up there. There are cables running along side the tunnel now, so perhaps very doable. The RCA cable is thin.

Tiepolo (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:26 AM

Hello @Anks ,

In fact mine arrived Friday, so earlier than expected and I must say I'm very happy with it.
It appears Navihua cared about everything I asked according to @arenaej experience and thanks to the very calm and educational video from Sean, I installed it with no problem.

I had a question about the tiny "Tv Hosts"style microphone that came with the kit, wondering what was its purpose but it is apparently the dedicated microphone for voice command . At first I was anxious about its look but I finally managed to hide it in a place where it's very discret and I must say it's quite usefull to send messages and shift music without touching the screen. you can see it just over the ashtray, I run the cable between the junction of uper and lower central console and it's perfect and very easy . Still got to learn everything it can do though.

I made a change to the microphone that can be tricky if you're not used to DIY.
The microphone board is screwed on the top left side of the "tablet" and therefore the sound that goes to it through the tiny hole on top of the fascia is not great.
So I unscrewed it, pull the very tiny wire (REALLY TINY, like only 2 thin wires )off from the microphone board and solder longer wires in between.
Then ,once the tablet was in place I sticked the microphone board with string tape, so that the tiny 3mm diameter microphone fits in the dedicated place in the back of the fascia behind the pin hole.
You'll see what I mean when you'll get yours. The sound when calling is now good according to the people I called.
I’ve been concerned about the quality of the microphone when making/taking calls. My unit came with an audio/video connector that included a microphone jack as well as a microphone to plug in. People I called said they could hear me but it sounded like I was in a tunnel. I searched a bit online and found an android head unit forum. The consensus there was that if you have an internal microphone like this system has, and a microphone Jack in the wiring harness, the internal microphone takes over. They said to disconnect the internal microphone and the other would take over and solve the problem. I decided to try to extend the wires on the internal microphone as @Tiepolo did and move it to the trim piece. After I cut the wires, I gave it a try with just the external microphone, called a couple of people that had heard it before and as the forum predicted, the problem was solved. No need to solder tiny wires, it’s clear and loud…learning something new every day…

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
SailorSam (09-20-2023), Sean W (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by arenaej
I’ve been concerned about the quality of the microphone when making/taking calls. My unit came with an audio/video connector that included a microphone jack as well as a microphone to plug in. People I called said they could hear me but it sounded like I was in a tunnel. I searched a bit online and found an android head unit forum. The consensus there was that if you have an internal microphone like this system has, and a microphone Jack in the wiring harness, the internal microphone takes over. They said to disconnect the internal microphone and the other would take over and solve the problem. I decided to try to extend the wires on the internal microphone as @Tiepolo did and move it to the trim piece. After I cut the wires, I gave it a try with just the external microphone, called a couple of people that had heard it before and as the forum predicted, the problem was solved. No need to solder tiny wires, it’s clear and loud…learning something new every day…
Very interesting @arenaej
Does the voice command works flawlessly as well?
Where did you place the jack microphone?( it's really sad the OEM microphone is lost...Don't like the idea of having 2 useless microphone in this car)

Old 09-20-2023, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
The reverse guides were built into the Tesla unit on mine. On my unit model, they weren't dynamic (they didn't curve with the car) so for me it made no difference. I added a back up camera long before the Tesla screens came out so my camera had the guidelines so I just turned them off on the unit.

With regard the fishing the RCA cable through the tunnel, sure, it might be possible. There are four Torx screws that anchor the center console side panels from the top. Two on each side if I recall. You have to remove the wood plate shift gate surround to access them as you know.

There also spring clips the run along the side which hold the leather side panel to the tunnel. If you can pull (pop) those out without removing the top screws then yes you can run the RCA camera cable along the side and tuck it up there. There are cables running along side the tunnel now, so perhaps very doable. The RCA cable is thin.
Great sean, I do have the standing guides on my unit too. So I could try to find a camera with dynamic guide and turn off the guides on the Tesla screen if I get you right?
I'll definitely tuck the wire along the tunnel, I did the same for the microphone and it's perfect. Never thought I could do it too from the trunk. Thanks.

Sean W (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 03:56 AM

Does the voice command works flawlessly as well?
Where did you place the jack microphone?( it's really sad the OEM microphone is lost...Don't like the idea of having 2 useless microphone in this car)
Voice commands work very well…

Tiepolo (09-21-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 06:28 AM

Where did you place the jack microphone?
I tried a few different locations and finally landed on the spot behind the steering wheel, centered…

Tiepolo (09-23-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:49 AM

For DAB, I am using a USB DAB adapter and an aerial splitter with 12v amplifier. Does anyone know a good place to pick up 12v for the amp using a ScotchLock connector?

I've not been able to test it though since I have a 2014 XK and as others have found, with the supplied XK blue box doesn't function with this MY and I get no audio. I also purchased from Navihau and they told that the blue box would work in my car and if it didn't they'd send me a new one, this was before they had my money. However, I have now contacted them about the issue and am being ghosted.

DAB USB Adapter

Old 10-05-2023, 12:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Blue box

They sent me the blue box for the XJ model, and it worked perfect. Initially, I tried two different boxes for the XK and neither one of them gave me audio.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:41 PM

For DAB, I am using a USB DAB adapter and an aerial splitter with 12v amplifier. Does anyone know a good place to pick up 12v for the amp using a ScotchLock connector?
If you remove the console trim you can access the bolts to remove the side of the console. On the left side at the ashtray is the feed for the cigarette lighter. You can tap into that for 12v.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:50 PM

That would work thanks, Is there nothing that is 12v feeding the radio?

Old 10-28-2023, 07:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arenaej
I tried a few different locations and finally landed on the spot behind the steering wheel, centered…
​​​​​​I placed my mike in the exact same spot.

arenaej (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 07:31 PM

I added a t-mobile sim card to my system today. After install, reboot the system and it was immediately recognized. Every car I’ve had with CarPlay has spots where there’s no coverage. I believe that the wifi antenna in the radio is better than the one in my iPhone. Took a drive and went to places that I usually get a drop in service and it worked perfectly. It’s easy to turn off data when I’m listening to music that’s loaded onto the radio or with Bluetooth. T-mobile data is very cheap. Very happy with this system so far…

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
CotswoldRS (01-03-2024), Tiepolo (10-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Head Unit for X150