XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tesla Style Head Unit for X150

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Really want to do this- if they just had a more normal looking screen. My XK isn't a Tesla and I don't want it to be. But a more modern OEM looking screen would be nice.

AuCar for Maserati is perfect

Name:  xp4In8Q.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  15.5 KB

The following users liked this post:
SEAICE (03-06-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
Really want to do this- if they just had a more normal looking screen. My XK isn't a Tesla and I don't want it to be. But a more modern OEM looking screen would be nice.

Yeah, I'd MUCH rather have physical buttons for commons stuff like radio and climate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
DorsetJag (12-04-2021), guy (05-16-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

How dim will this thing go in the dark? And how do you adjust the brightness? Does it have a light sensor, or do you have to hit a button on the screen to brighten and dim it?

I'm asking because if I park it at night and come out into the bright daylight the net morning, it might be so dim that it's difficult to see the screen to increase the brightness. Also, I turn my dashboard lights down pretty dim at night. I used to have a Saab which had a button for "night mode", which I loved. It basically turned off all of the interior lighting except the speedometer.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a quick update: First of all, thanks to peterv8 I have sound. I do not have the OEM premium sound unit, so I unplugged the red and white RCA audio plugs. I had the wiring diagram, but reached out to peterv8 just to see if it was correct (it was). I was still frustrated that I didn't get sound right away even after his confirmation. I had the car running while working on the speaker wires. I realized I needed a flashlight so I turned the ignition off. When I went back and started the car the radio turned on and darn near blew me out of the car! It defaulted to an radio FM station.

Now I have another issue: when I put the car in reverse the camera comes on. Perfect, right? Well, it would be but I can't seem to get back to the home screen. It's like it's stuck in "back-up" mode, for lack of better terms. I tied into the wiring of the reverse LED light in the rear of the car. I ran the yellow RCA video cable under the rear driver's side seat through the console to hide the cable all the way up to the head unit. I connected the yellow RCA plug directly into the new radio, but I'm just not sure what to do with red wire that breaks out of the yellow RCA cable. Does anybody know what to connect the red power wire to on the new radio?

Next I'll be working to get the climate controls to work. I lined up the black wire on the plug of the new radio with the black wire on the OEM climate plug but the other wires don't appear to be lining up with anything. Any help on that would also be appreciated.

Many thanks to you all for this thread and for answering my questions so fast.

This is the display I get after shifting to reverse and back to park.

I believe this is climate controls. I lined-up the black wires of each plug, but it appears that the other wires aren't lining up and I can't get the climate controls to work.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:44 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Any updates on this?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Any updates on this?
who is this directed to?

Old 03-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014, and also curious if anyone with the same era infotainment has done the swap.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

There is another thread on this subject. It is in the stickies upgrades section. Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2353375. There is a rather complete description of the unit and how to install it. I am having the new head installed in my 2013 XKR in about 10 days and will be reporting on the install and its performance afterwards.

The following 3 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Cee Jay (03-13-2021), Sean W (03-14-2021), u102768 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by somenavyguy
When I went back and started the car the radio turned on and darn near blew me out of the car! It defaulted to an radio FM station.
Go to setting and set the start volume to 3. I believe it's under vehicle information. You might need a code -3368

Now I have another issue: when I put the car in reverse the camera comes on. Perfect, right? Well, it would be but I can't seem to get back to the home screen. It's like it's stuck in "back-up" mode, for lack of better terms. I tied into the wiring of the reverse LED light in the rear of the car. I ran the yellow RCA video cable under the rear driver's side seat through the console to hide the cable all the way up to the head unit. I connected the yellow RCA plug directly into the new radio, but I'm just not sure what to do with red wire that breaks out of the yellow RCA cable. Does anybody know what to connect the red power wire to on the new radio?
The red wire is power and that's why you're having problems. Buy an "Add a fuse". We'll power from the rear auxiliary box and it's quite easy bi=ut you need to avoid tying into the rear light. The red wire in the front can be ignored. The red wires are power and you power from the front or back, not both. Rear is easier. Here is one. You want a mini add a fuse.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meterk-2-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is a pic. Fuse F4 in a aux box

Next I'll be working to get the climate controls to work. I lined up the black wire on the plug of the new radio with the black wire on the OEM climate plug but the other wires don't appear to be lining up with anything. Any help on that would also be appreciated.
Yes that's climate. Black to black is correct. Double check your actually aligning the pins. the first time I did it I misaligned by one pin.

This is the display I get after shifting to reverse and back to park.
Need power - will posture pic tomorrow.

I believe this is climate controls. I lined-up the black wires of each plug, but it appears that the other wires aren't lining up and I can't get the climate controls to work.
Look at the video, you will see the same. It's likely your pins aren't aligned or all the way in, although it looks right in your pic.

Last edited by Sean W; 03-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
How dim will this thing go in the dark? And how do you adjust the brightness? Does it have a light sensor, or do you have to hit a button on the screen to brighten and dim it?

I'm asking because if I park it at night and come out into the bright daylight the net morning, it might be so dim that it's difficult to see the screen to increase the brightness. Also, I turn my dashboard lights down pretty dim at night. I used to have a Saab which had a button for "night mode", which I loved. It basically turned off all of the interior lighting except the speedometer.
Reverand Sam I use the Agama Car Launcher. First, on the units OEM launcher, swipe from the top and you can shut the screen off but you can't dim I don't think.
With the Agama Car Launcher, you can dim it for night to whatever % dimness you want. You can also set it for time of day to dim and brighten. Also, you can change the colors of the unit to change based on time of day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
ralphwg (03-14-2021), Reverend Sam (05-16-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Default Wireless CarPlay

At least for me - iPhone X XS max on 14.4.1 iOS. Wireless connection. Select CarLink on head unit first. Once connected, connect BT.
For me, I did the standard connection guides for various car models which state to connect BT first. This just led to Carlink staying in "connecting" status.
So now, I connect via Carlink first, then CarPlay launches. Once that's done, BT connects.
All apps function, calls go through BT connection and the Jaguar OEM mic/ speaker which is automatic on the phone now. I don't have to select.

Last edited by Sean W; 03-20-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Default Dimmable Screen and screen off

Originally Posted by Sean W
Reverand Sam I use the Agama Car Launcher. First, on the units OEM launcher, swipe from the top and you can shut the screen off but you can't dim I don't think.
With the Agama Car Launcher, you can dim it for night to whatever % dimness you want. You can also set it for time of day to dim and brighten. Also, you can change the colors of the unit to change based on time of day.
Correction - you can dim the screen via the OEM launcher by swiping down from the top. You can turn off the screen and it will come back on with a touch. You can turn on eye saver which dims blue light effect and you can use the slider to dim the screen. - this is all on the OEM launcher that comes with the unit.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

I will be installing this unit in upcoming days. Want to make a retrofit of an OEM backup camera to this solution.

Currently i don't have a camera at all (my2010), but already waiting for a new trunk finisher with a camera place. I want to buy XF camera for a retrofit (believe they are the same as XK).

Can anyone guide me how to connect this camera to a Tesla style screen? I believe that I need to cut original cable and somehow connect selected pins with a RCA port in a screen, correct?

Old 03-21-2021, 04:07 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24

Sorry if I hijack, but this is what I would look for. I want to keep physical buttons and good old CDs, but would like as big a nav screen as possible. Any threads on such a solution?

Old 05-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default SDD

Just a quick update on SDD as I mentioned when I first bought the unit, I would test IDS/SDD. I used IDS as I prefer it. As expected, it doesn't recognize, ICM, Touchscreen, OEM navigation or the audio module since they are no longer used. Otherwise it works fine.

Last edited by Sean W; 05-12-2021 at 12:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
kj07xk (05-12-2021), peterv8 (05-12-2021), u102768 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 04:50 PM

Hello Sean W. So I finally am healthy enough to try the install again. I pulled the OEM radio out - no problem. Connected everything as you all described in this forum. No problem. As suggested by peter V8 (I believe) I used a ferule tool (ordered from Amazon) to connect the speakers - awesome sound quality from this unit; way better than what I had. Now on to what I still need to figure out - climate controls and backup camera.

For climate controls: the black wire disconnected from the four-pin plug that connects to the emergency flashers of the wood-burl trim. It's so small I'm afraid to try to solder it back. Was thinking liquid solder, but I think I'd rather go to a local computer or electronics store to see if they may have something that'll work. More to come on this part of the install.

So for the back-up camera I purchased the fuse tap as suggested. I just assumed the new head unit would have a "REVERSE" wire coming out of the harness for that red wire to connect to. From what I've researched that's how it's typically done, but I'll try the fuse-tap and see what happens. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it gets power.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by somenavyguy; 05-16-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:08 PM

Success!!! I did nothing different except mount the unit to keep everything from moving around and now it works fine - go figure! The steering wheel controls, Apple CarPlay, etc... all work fine, and the reverse camera switches fine... still need to solder the ground wire that came loose from the climate control connector. I hope to have that done tomorrow. Thank you all for your assistance. Very much appreciated. Now if I can just get that protective film off the screen...

The following 6 users liked this post by somenavyguy:
envincibal (05-19-2021), peterv8 (05-19-2021), ralphwg (05-19-2021), tberg (05-26-2021), u102768 (05-19-2021), V7Sport (05-19-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 PM
Default XK150 Tesla Style Infotainment Center Install

So this first pic shows the black ground wire that came off of the four-pin connector on the wood-burl trim. I thought this connector had something to do with climate controls. It does not. It only controls the emergency flasher and provides a connection for the airbag light. I found this out from a couple of sources: 1. sheer luck, and 2. a PDF that was sent to me by the vendor.

First - sheer luck: Today I was removing the protective film on the screen. Not as easy as it sounds for someone recovering from wrist surgery. When it was all removed I went to put the wood-burl trim on. When I pushed in on the lower left hand corner my thumb slipped off onto the A/C pop-up and push the climate control power button. It lit-up green and the A/C turned on! I can adjust the temperature, control the fan speed, turn on seat heaters, defrost, etc... everything works now.

Second - the PDF. I have a PDF of how each of the harnesses used to install this system are pinned. If the forum administrator is okay with it I'd be more than happy to upload and share it.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me get this thing to work. Looking forward to downloading and setting up a better launcher.

Last edited by somenavyguy; 05-19-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it will be fine - pls post it

Old 05-19-2021, 09:22 PM
Default XK150 Tesla Style Infotainment Center Install

Here is the PDF. Considered changing the name but decided to attach it just as it was sent to me. Hope this helps somebody else out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
?? ??XK????V1.pdf (343.1 KB, 273 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by somenavyguy:
peterv8 (05-20-2021), ralphwg (05-19-2021), Sean W (05-19-2021), sgtm7 (07-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Head Unit for X150