XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tesla Style Head Unit for X150

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023 | 07:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

@Bob Nace Nice write up.

A number of the first adopters mentioned the loss of TPMS when replacing the original unit, however, my 2012 only reflected TPMS warnings in the center display between tach and speedometer. What am I missing? The unit has optional TPMS but it is 433Mhz, not 315Mhz that are on American cars and the new unit just disables the OEM TPMS (I think). So if you use it, you have to buy the 433Mhz sensors.
The other thing you lost is the ability to clear DTC codes. There's no functionality for you to use the touchscreen to temporarily clear the code that displays on the cluster, so you will need to use an OBD code reader to clear them.

Old 08-15-2023 | 07:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience @Bob Nace .

Apparently there's several dealer/ manufacturer...
Could the owner make a list of the one to prevent and the one that are better than the others?
Because sending +1200$ to china might be little scary. (and that's what I'm trying to figure right now).

Old 08-15-2023 | 09:42 AM

Navihua Technology, the supplier Bob Nace found just quoted me $865.00 I’m trying to get them down to the price Bob paid…$765.00. The response was professional and they do speak English…I have had Cambo’s CarPlay system for a few years now and it has worked flawlessly. I’m looking for better sound, backup camera and like the look of it…maybe I just want something different. I’m confused about the optical blue box. My car is a 2009…does the XK labeled box work for me? Is the problem with the 2012 and newer? I hope someone can clarify. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2023 | 10:27 AM
|
Veteran Member

@arenaej yes the normally supplied blue box (Audio Converter) should work fine. Seems like the guys with newer model XK's had problems. That said, during your negotiations, mention to them that several guys on the forum have had issues with the box and you want yours replaced at no cost if you encounter the same. Also use a US based Visa card. They will support you if you, for any reason, return it under warranty and have issues with refunds.

The following users liked this post:
arenaej (08-15-2023)
Old 09-04-2023 | 06:14 PM

Hello All,

My first post to the forum, lots of great information here, much appreciated. I am a new owner of a 2007 XKR, 4.2l, SC.

I pulled the trigger on a Navihua android screen, shipped fast and arrived in good shape. I installed today and it was pretty straight forward (thanks to all teh great info here!) Upon startup I had no issues with audio or car play. My problem is I cannot change any of the vehicle settings and with the climate control the "power" button turns fan off & on but none of the other climate controls work.

I have reached out to the supplier, with details and pics, still waiting to hear back. Hoping someone had a similiar issue and knows the fix, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith M.
2007 XKR

The following 2 users liked this post by kement1:
McJag222 (09-04-2023), Tiepolo (09-04-2023)
Old 09-05-2023 | 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by kement1
Hello All,

My first post to the forum, lots of great information here, much appreciated. I am a new owner of a 2007 XKR, 4.2l, SC.

I pulled the trigger on a Navihua android screen, shipped fast and arrived in good shape. I installed today and it was pretty straight forward (thanks to all teh great info here!) Upon startup I had no issues with audio or car play. My problem is I cannot change any of the vehicle settings and with the climate control the "power" button turns fan off & on but none of the other climate controls work.

I have reached out to the supplier, with details and pics, still waiting to hear back. Hoping someone had a similiar issue and knows the fix, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith M.
2007 XKR
On mine, I press power, then the auto that’s circled on the picture. The A/C comes on and I can adjust the temperature. The other auto will light up but doesn’t appear to do anything. The vent control options work, the heated seats and steering wheel work as well as the rear defroster. There are buttons for cooled seats, but my car isn’t equipped with that option. I set the temperature to Fahrenheit and the outside temperature and the temperature setting at the bottom of the screen show that, the temperature on the screen stays centigrade…

Old 09-05-2023 | 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by arenaej
On mine, I press power, then the auto that’s circled on the picture. The A/C comes on and I can adjust the temperature. The other auto will light up but doesn’t appear to do anything. The vent control options work, the heated seats and steering wheel work as well as the rear defroster. There are buttons for cooled seats, but my car isn’t equipped with that option. I set the temperature to Fahrenheit and the outside temperature and the temperature setting at the bottom of the screen show that, the temperature on the screen stays centigrade…
COOLED seats??? This is the first time I've seen that as an option.

Old 09-05-2023 | 01:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
COOLED seats??? This is the first time I've seen that as an option.
Yeah they fixed that awhile ago but you still can't clear DTC codes from the touchscreen so no new projects for you:-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (09-05-2023), McJag222 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info!

The supplier did get back to me and it turns out I had two of the three similiar connectors swapped, the correct one was not plugged into the blue head controller box as required. Once changed all is working fine. Juts nee dto figure out if there is power for teh back up camera coming from the new unit or if I need to pick up somewhere else.

Old 09-10-2023 | 05:06 PM

Glad you find a way .
I ordered the Navihua last week the day before@arenaej had a problem with it then saw@kement1 .
I told then, as it wasn't shipped yet, to check these 2 problems and they said they are caring about it and checking prior to shipping. I hope they will

Can't wait to get mine now and enjoy my music with a fuller spectrum!

BTW, I do have a question for the Tesla screen experts:

My TPMS is apparently suffering from the cut wire syndrom So I thought about getting a new TPMS set with the screen.
On the firsts posts I saw it's just 4 intire receivers and 1 USB central
Would that mean I can get rid of the whole OEM TPMS system?( No more troubles then?)

Thanks.

Last edited by Tiepolo; 09-10-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2023 | 12:50 PM

First time poster and I'm looking to pick up one of these head units and have a couple of questions
  • Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier and approximate price paid
  • As I have a 2014 XK and I believe I will need the different blue decoder box, is this correct?
  • I'm based in the UK, my car is DAB Radio equipped, has anyone got DAB working with this unit? I've seen it stated that DAB is supported but nothing in any video to confirm and also some sellers are offer DAB as an option.
  • If I want the OEM reverse camera to work with the unit, I believe this is possible and if so, do I need to get a Fakra to RCA convertor or is one supplied?
Thanks

Old 09-13-2023 | 07:44 AM

hello @Anks
I'm supposed to receive mine next monday so I can't give you a final advice for now.
I ordered it from Navihua .It's the 6Gb 128Go and I paid 910$ for it (express delivery through Fedex included)
As I order just before the said problems with the plug and the AC control, I wrote them asking for a special care about it.
They said they then would ask to the production engineers to check.
They also came back to me asking photos of my original system with the menu (I also gave them my VIN) so that they would configure it well.

After 9days they sent me the folowing photos and the product left China yesterday.

Will see and tell if they were really serious but for now it's great .

About the OEM cam they say it would work with any aftermarket one and I guess if I tell them I got an OEM they might arange for it to work properly.

Hope I helped.

Originally Posted by Anks
First time poster and I'm looking to pick up one of these head units and have a couple of questions
  • Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier and approximate price paid
  • As I have a 2014 XK and I believe I will need the different blue decoder box, is this correct?
  • I'm based in the UK, my car is DAB Radio equipped, has anyone got DAB working with this unit? I've seen it stated that DAB is supported but nothing in any video to confirm and also some sellers are offer DAB as an option.
  • If I want the OEM reverse camera to work with the unit, I believe this is possible and if so, do I need to get a Fakra to RCA convertor or is one supplied?
Thanks

Last edited by Tiepolo; 09-13-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2023 | 09:06 AM

Thanks @Tiepolo that's great, from the look of the photos, the launcher looks like the one that is shown when the device running Android 12. Do you know if your unit will be Android 10 or has it been update?

Old 09-13-2023 | 11:27 AM
|
Veteran Member

@Anks My advice is buy the most current OS. You're not going to be able to update the OS without risking changes to the vehicle operating software. The software is one big code-set that incorporates hundreds of different makes/ models of cars built around the world.

Regarding you Fakra question, yes you need to buy one, doesn't come with the kit or at least it didn't used to.

Support will be minimal to non existent once the sale is made. Each of us have bought from different suppliers and we each experience the same lack of support. They're all just resellers and the original manufacturer remains a mystery.

The following users liked this post:
arenaej (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023 | 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Anks
Thanks @Tiepolo that's great, from the look of the photos, the launcher looks like the one that is shown when the device running Android 12. Do you know if your unit will be Android 10 or has it been update?
It's Android 12 they said.
I'll add a pretier launcher as when I saw it I thought it looked like a kind of Windows thing

Old 09-14-2023 | 04:51 PM

This is a great resource. Thanks to all contributors. I’d be interested to know if anyone has had one of these installed long term and if they experienced any issues with reliability of the device?

Old 09-14-2023 | 06:37 PM

Here’s a quick update on my Tesla style screen…I did some research on screen protector film and found some interesting info. First, since my car is a convertible, when the top is down in the sun, the screen is pretty washed out and hard to see. As others have noted the screen goes black when viewed with polarized sunglasses. I found a source for a for screen protector film - nushield.com - that has different options…DayVue is a film designed to make the screen easier to see in full sunlight. It’s not anti glare as it’s a gloss finish, but less glare than without it. The best part is that if you request that they cut the film at 45 degrees the screen is now visible with polarized sunglasses. My order arrived today, easy install with no air bubbles and works as advertised.

on another note, it’s just an observation, and I don’t know if it’s related…prior to the screen install my remote lock function on the key fob wasn’t working well…I had to be pretty close for it to lock/unlock and the soft button on the door handle was very erratic and you had to have the fob between the handle and the mirror for it to work with a fair amount of fiddling…since the screen install the fob will lock/unlock every time from 30 yards away and the soft button on the door handle works every time as it should with no fiddling…

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
Alboy (09-14-2023), bgpenguin21 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-14-2023 | 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by arenaej
Here’s a quick update on my Tesla style screen…I did some research on screen protector film and found some interesting info. First, since my car is a convertible, when the top is down in the sun, the screen is pretty washed out and hard to see. As others have noted the screen goes black when viewed with polarized sunglasses. I found a source for a for screen protector film - nushield.com - that has different options…DayVue is a film designed to make the screen easier to see in full sunlight. It’s not anti glare as it’s a gloss finish, but less glare than without it. The best part is that if you request that they cut the film at 45 degrees the screen is now visible with polarized sunglasses. My order arrived today, easy install with no air bubbles and works as advertised.

on another note, it’s just an observation, and I don’t know if it’s related…prior to the screen install my remote lock function on the key fob wasn’t working well…I had to be pretty close for it to lock/unlock and the soft button on the door handle was very erratic and you had to have the fob between the handle and the mirror for it to work with a fair amount of fiddling…since the screen install the fob will lock/unlock every time from 30 yards away and the soft button on the door handle works every time as it should with no fiddling…
that’s interesting as I have the same issue with the fob and the passive entry button. How long have you had the unit installed?

Old 09-14-2023 | 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alboy
that’s interesting as I have the same issue with the fob and the passive entry button. How long have you had the unit installed?
About 2 weeks…it’s awesome 😎

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
Alboy (09-14-2023), Tiepolo (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023 | 08:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering:
Do we have to keep the Navigation dvd player in the trunk as it's useless once the Tesla screen is installed, right?
If not, is it possible to use one of its wires to bring a Camera signal to the Tesla screen?? that'ld make the aftermarket backup camera installation easier,

Any idea about it?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Head Unit for X150