XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Of course it's his money, and he can do what he wants. The DBS is a great looking car and most people would be overjoyed to have one.

I'm just saying, for the money, the XKR-S is the GT value of the decade, especially at the prices we are seeing them sold at. Faster than a DBS, less miles, under factory warranty, and many thousands of dollars cheaper. I guess the problem might be finding one that is up to standards since the last one he looked at was a major bust.

I bought mine since it had a backseat so I could take my son with us when the wife and I go somewhere in the Jag. If I were looking at a 2+0 like that DBS, that would throw in a whole host of other potential options for me in that price range.

Doing the research and finding the right car is half the fun, I think.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I'm just saying, for the money, the XKR-S is the GT value of the decade, especially at the prices we are seeing them sold at. Faster than a DBS, less miles, under factory warranty, and many thousands of dollars cheaper. I guess the problem might be finding one that is up to standards since the last one he looked at was a major bust.
Agreed....

From what we have all seen in the aftermarket on the Jaguar XKR-S late models 2012-2013, there have been some great deals in the secondary market. This has been a serious topic of discussion here on the forums, especially related to market depreciation. When you can find a $135,000 car 2 years old for $85,000 with low miles, it does make that vehicle quite attractive and compelling.

The XKR-S is still considered rare and still somewhat dificult to find in the aftermarket, especially due to low production numbers in 2012 and 2013. When one comes along, they usually don't last very long up for sale.

Last edited by richzak; 03-23-2014 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I'm just saying, for the money, the XKR-S is the GT value of the decade, especially at the prices we are seeing them sold at.
Agreed, that was my main criterion: best bang for buck. 'Best' being a subjective amalgam of looks, performance, comfort and running costs. That's why I came back to the Jag, even though I looked at a few Astons and seriously investigated the GT-R.

Even if you have a decent indy garage, parts costs for Astons are and unlike Jags, there aren't ever going to be many in wreckers' yards, and they're not attractive to the reconditioning or repro sources because the volumes are too low. Since I plan to keep my car for a while, that stuff becomes increasingly important as time goes by. If you're looking for a car for 2-3 years, your equation is probably different.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
Lothar52 (03-24-2014), Matt in Houston (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I noticed that car is a 2 + 0 configuration. Personally if I wanted a 2 seater I would be looking at a F-430, R8 V10, or Gallardo.
F-Type R Coupé does nothing for you???

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I am driving a hard price on my car and the DBS. If we meet at a number I will trade my XKR for the DBS.
Hope it works out for you. An AM is one of those cars most of us just dream about...

rscultho (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

If I was in the market now I would buy a new xkrs, I'm sure with a hefty discount. New car, reliable, low operating costs, warranty, and a great value. I agree with Matt- if I were looking at a 2 seater, then I would go for a gt3, gallardo, v10 r8, or f type R. Having said that, the DBS is a beautiful car and it sounds great, so I see the allure.
We are lucky that we have so many choices now- it's truly the golden age for high performance cars!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
F-Type R Coupé does nothing for you???
Whoops forgot about that. Yes it would be a consideration, but honestly I am starting to miss driving a stick so it would have to be a pretty awesome test drive.

Ultimately I'm not sure I can give up my XKR-S, at least anytime soon. It's just so good on so many levels. I could probably sell it for 5 grand less than I paid for it last year, but everytime that thought occurs it quickly fades away. Maybe I just need another garage so I can get a sports car with a manual transmission. Or kick the wife's car out. Naw. That ain't happening! lol

Lothar52 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I've always been a fan of the look and sound of Aston Martins. When I went to a dealer to look at them they also sold Jaguar and I liked the very similar XKR a lot. Price and performance sold me on the Jaguar instead of the V8 Vantage...but I never got over the look and cachet of the AM.

Rodney, if part of the draw is a manual in the classic XK/AM styling than the Aston is really the only game in town. I love my XKR, but it cries out to me for a manual. Not an option on a Jag, and a non-negotiable for me as it turns out. Btw, what happened to you not wanting a car that would cost a lot in depreciation?

Good luck determining and finding your Holy Grail!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
mosesbotbol (03-24-2014), rscultho (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I guess I'm one of those people who think the Aston Martin Vantage Coupe is the best looking, best proportioned of all of the Astons. I think an argument could be made for the preferences of the Vantage, XKR, and F-type Coupe R. Personally, the bigger Astons don't do it for me. Neither does the Bentley Coupe. However, these are my preferences, and for you, the DBS and Vanquish are the "cat's meow," and I certainly understand that. They are spectacular in their own rights. If it's the car of your dreams, go for it and enjoy, you won't regret it!

Years ago, I assembled a little collection of the cars that I always dreamed about. I didn't really care what others thought, it's what I thought that counted. In the next few weeks I will add an XKR Coupe to my collection. I acquired the taste and desire for this beautiful automobile, it wasn't on my radar screen until I purchased my 2002 XKR convertible (which happened quite accidentally), and I started looking at what Jaguar was doing going forward thanks to joining this forum some 4 years ago.

You only live once,and if you can swing the deal, ENJOY!

(some of my dreams in my garage, below)

Attached Thumbnails Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...-vp__4994-1280x853-.jpg   Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...-280z.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 03-24-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
rscultho (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Go for the DBS. It's beautifully tailed car with better styling than the XKR.

rscultho (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.

Rodney, if part of the draw is a manual in the classic XK/AM styling than the Aston is really the only game in town. I love my XKR, but it cries out to me for a manual. Not an option on a Jag, and a non-negotiable for me as it turns out. Btw, what happened to you not wanting a car that would cost a lot in depreciation?

Good luck determining and finding your Holy Grail!
Well, as depreciation goes the Aston's tend to hold their value a little more than Jag. But, I am under no pretense that it won't depreciate. I was just shocked a year or so ago, when I was looking at getting the car DGL eventually bought, that the XKR I was driving lost $25K of its value in one year. That was a big kick in the gut.

Since then the value of my XKR has now dropped to around $41K, so the depreciation actually seems to be slowing somewhat.

Well, we are still working on a number on the DBS and until we get to that point I am not counting on anything. The salesguy says we should reach an end today.

I to love my XKR. I have maintained it well, and I know the DBS is not the fastest vehicle on the road, but it sure as hell impressed me when I drove it! Also, if I do get the DBS, I may very well, decide to come back to the XKR/Jag. This doesn't mean I will never own a Jag again. I have continued to try and find an XKR-S, but the only ones I can find are either White, French Racing Blue, and or convert and I want a black coupe. There is a new one on ebay for $134K but I am not gonna pay $134K and in 6 months it be worth less than $100K...just can't do that. Plano Jag in Dallas sold a 2013 XKR-S for $97K. It was what I wanted and I should have jumped on it knowing what I know now, but I thought the 2012 XKR-S from Carmax was gonna be the one.

It's been a roller coaster ride!!! Let me say I appreciate everyone's input and opinion!!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'm just saying, for the money, the XKR-S is the GT value of the decade, especially at the prices we are seeing them sold at.
A Jaguar is no Aston no matter how fast it is.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a tuned 2012 DBS vs. a stock XKR-S. Imagine the XKR-S with a Eurocharged tune and it would be lights out for sure. ...

I noticed that car is a 2 + 0 configuration. Personally if I wanted a 2 seater I would be looking at a F-430, R8 V10, or Gallardo.

Good luck with your decision, post some pics of whatever you get!
Yea, I have seen that video. I for sure would not be seeking out an XKR-S to drag on I-285 around the ATL... But I would not be getting the DBS to be the fastest rolling start car on the road.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Yea, I have seen that video. I for sure would not be seeking out an XKR-S to drag on I-285 around the ATL... But I would not be getting the DBS to be the fastest rolling start car on the road.
I hear you, and I think you will be extremely happy with the DBS. They definitely look awesome, there is no doubt about that.

It's just such a testament to Jaguar that they can build a comparable (and in many ways higher performing) GT for half the price. I started out looking at Aston's a year ago and ended up with an XKR-S. I could have bought either car, but the value in the Jag is truly hard to ignore (for me).

One other Aston that does catch my eye is the DB7 GT. Its old school and not very fast, but there is something about it...It would be sweet to have one as a 4th car or something like that. Truly unique.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Martin...-/141230392641

Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

DB7 is a sweet car. Saw one recently drive by and the sound that car makes is out of this world....V12 i believe?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Looks like it was a supercharged 6 until mid 1999 when production with that engine was halted. I believe the rest of them are all 5.9L V12's. The DB7 GT is the variant I most lust for.

Aston Martin DB7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

You guys know that the DB7 is built on the Jaguar XJS frame don't you?

I agree it is a stunning looking car...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

You guys know that the DB7 is built on the Jaguar XJS frame don't you?

I agree it is a stunning looking car...
The DB7 had a bad rep for electrics - one of the problems with a small-volume manufacturer is that it takes a while to get all the third-party bits'n'pieces working together properly, and sometimes that happens after the car is sold... I was made wary by a work colleague named De Havilland (yes, as in aircraft) who had an Oscar India AMV8 - he told me that it was fine as a toy car, but he couldn't rely on it as a daily driver.

Like all makes, the reliability of Astons has improved significantly, so there's probably nothing wrong with the recent models.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like my first wife. High maintenance, seldom worked and very unreliable. I'm happy to say that the newer model purrs like a kitten and is trouble free. Expensive, though.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Anybody remember seeing this episode of Topgear? Tiff hitting air with it @3.25.

Not a DBS, but close enough...

hawaii (03-24-2014)

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2009 AM DBS...