XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Test Drove an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
Drove the SL550 yesterday and gotta admit the Jag is becoming harder to keep as #1 on the list. First, it was more comfy with legroom. Love the way the seats hug you when the car turns. It felt like a true coupe but instantly turns into a vert. It felt more agile to me and that was a shocker. My sales guy wasn't fully learned on all the tech but I test drove a CL at another dealer so I know the SL is full of toys. I liked it.

Then as I was leaving, an XK passed me on the highway. The car is just down right sexy. I may have to stop driving all these cars and just give in. I'd have to rip out the back seats but I don't drive people around anyway. Decisions, decisions.
There is no denying that the new SL is a great performing car with a lot of bells and whistles. The only problem for me is that it is just plain fugly--I don't know what they were thinking when they redesigned it. The squared off front end and the raised rear deck is a giant leap backwards in the design department IMHO. It was on my short list of cars to get for my wife and we went with the XKR--it is just such a beautiful car.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jaguar's aluminum rivet bonded construction should not be overlooked as a compelling reason to buy this car. I am sold on the method now on my 2nd Jag. It's something that really set the marque apart and such a good idea...

I would love for Jag to do the body panels in carbon fiber; one day...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
There is no denying that the new SL is a great performing car with a lot of bells and whistles. The only problem for me is that it is just plain fugly
Yep, paying a hundred grand does not buy a car that is perfect in all respects to all people. But it does buy one so gorgeous and exclusive that many will gladly overlook what others maybe can't. We should all buy the car that is closest to perfection in the areas we care about most, and don't waste a moment dwelling on what wasn't.

Bruce

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Bruce you're so right.
It amazes me how so many people talk about Mercedes and even BMWs possibly being comparable.

I do know one thing... no German car could ever give me the same (good) shiver I always get everytime I glimpse my XKR. Its an epic shape. I still sneak out to the garage sometimes just to look at it for a few moments. I've never felt the need to do that with any other car I've owned except maybe my Ferrari 308 GTS.

I cant imagine anyone seriously claiming any Mercedes (at least one that isn't over 30 years old) or any BMW ever made at all could be called sensuous or sexy.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to agree with you guys about the shape of the XKR. No other car makes me swoon everytime I see it. Not even my favorite car of all time, the Ferrari 575. My second fave, the 599 does cause an emotional response equal to the XKR but only when it's lowered with nice wheels. Stock XKR's do it for me everytime. I can't imagined how I would react to one modded by me, to my taste.

Getting the XKR would require extensive change to the interior. I would have to do something with the rear seats. That's menas an interior redesign. That would mean being without the car a long time while the work is being done. Won't be cheap either. It has to look like it could have come from the factory. Which means top dollar, high quality work. It also means I'd probably keep the car forever.

I test drove a 911 yesterday and while it is a wonderful car, it doesn't have the luxury I prefer. The sound of the engine behind your head is just an amazing thing. It was the base model and just too slow. I have to try the the S model but I doubt the 50 extra hp would make that much difference. It's the torque that needs an increase more than anything.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I test drove a 911 yesterday and while it is a wonderful car, it doesn't have the luxury I prefer. The sound of the engine behind your head is just an amazing thing. It was the base model and just too slow. I have to try the the S model but I doubt the 50 extra hp would make that much difference. It's the torque that needs an increase more than anything.
The Porsche 991 Carrera S was on my short list, and it was a blast to drive...for about 20 minutes. At that point, both of my legs essentially went numb from the hardness of the seat and the ride. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that car. Now, every time I see people in a Porsche, I think to myself, "those poor uncomfortable *******s." :-)

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I tried to buy a Ferrari 348 but couldn't get comfortable at all. Over 100 grand again, but what were they thinking with pedals, seat, wheel and gear shift placement? I'd have had to cut 6" off my arms or legs, can't remember which.

Which really makes me wonder, ICE, if maybe you should keep looking for a car that fits you better than go to extensive redesign of the interior. I'm actually surprised it doesn't fit you well, and wonder if it's your personal seating position that could be modified. Do you drive with arms almost straight, and can your heel nearly touch the firewall in the XKR? I adjust my seat and wheel so my legs and arms are in a position considered ideal for high performance driving. I'm 5'10" and have a few inches of seat travel left.

Bruce

Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I tried to buy a Ferrari 348 but couldn't get comfortable at all. Over 100 grand again, but what were they thinking with pedals, seat, wheel and gear shift placement? I'd have had to cut 6" off my arms or legs, can't remember which.

Which really makes me wonder, ICE, if maybe you should keep looking for a car that fits you better than go to extensive redesign of the interior. I'm actually surprised it doesn't fit you well, and wonder if it's your personal seating position that could be modified. Do you drive with arms almost straight, and can your heel nearly touch the firewall in the XKR? I adjust my seat and wheel so my legs and arms are in a position considered ideal for high performance driving. I'm 5'10" and have a few inches of seat travel left.

Bruce
Well, I'm 6-2, 260 lbs but with a shorter torso and longer legs. My legs match someone who is 6-4. So do my arms, they're kinda long. I also have a pin in knee. It doesn't bother me much except when my leg is slightly bent like in the driving position. For these reasons I need my legs extended while driving. Since I also have some belly, I feel more comfy in a reclined position. I can drive the XKR as is but my knee would ache after 10-15 minutes. Some days it doesn't ache at all but I have to allow for it when selecting a car.

My test drive was about 20 minutes. I felt fine but the ache was coming on. It's not serious pain it's an ache. Maybe I could try again and pay more attention to finding the optimum seating position. I also find it hard to believe this big cat doesn't have the room I want.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

You could do a little engineering to the brake and gas pedal; they must be able to pushed back an inch or two.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm 6-2, 260 lbs but with a shorter torso and longer legs. My legs match someone who is 6-4. So do my arms, they're kinda long. I also have a pin in knee. It doesn't bother me much except when my leg is slightly bent like in the driving position. For these reasons I need my legs extended while driving. Since I also have some belly, I feel more comfy in a reclined position. I can drive the XKR as is but my knee would ache after 10-15 minutes. Some days it doesn't ache at all but I have to allow for it when selecting a car.

My test drive was about 20 minutes. I felt fine but the ache was coming on. It's not serious pain it's an ache. Maybe I could try again and pay more attention to finding the optimum seating position. I also find it hard to believe this big cat doesn't have the room I want.
You have particular personal requirements that completely change normal car buying decisions, as did RJC's. Where his led him to the XKR it seems yours may lead you away if a completely satisfactory seating position can't be found. There are so many exciting cars to choose from, like the list you posted, and probably a couple of dozen more. Maybe the new F-Type or redesigned XKR will be contenders next year. It'll be both fun and challenging to find the best fit...good luck!

Bruce

Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
You have particular personal requirements that completely change normal car buying decisions, as did RJC's. Where his led him to the XKR it seems yours may lead you away if a completely satisfactory seating position can't be found. There are so many exciting cars to choose from, like the list you posted, and probably a couple of dozen more. Maybe the new F-Type or redesigned XKR will be contenders next year. It'll be both fun and challenging to find the best fit...good luck!

Bruce
You hit it right on the head.
But everytime I consider writing off the XKR, I see one.
Happened again this morning at church. Never saw an XK at my church.
I wanted to follow him to his parking space to talk but he was taking too long. It is a sexy beast. No doubt.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

You hit it right on the head.
But everytime I consider writing off the XKR, I see one.
Happened again this morning at church. Never saw an XK at my church.
I wanted to follow him to his parking space to talk but he was taking too long. It is a sexy beast. No doubt.
Must have been a message from God!! :-)