XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is there anything to do on the battery before plugging a CTEK charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

As often happens, this thread has wandered off-course and for my part in that I am sorry. We are no longer addressing the OP's concern, and we've managed to start talking about each other rather than the issue raised. Respectfully, can we go back to the OP's concern? Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
MarkyUK (12-12-2020), Stuart S (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
Something you might all be interested in...
My XJ spends most of it's time coming on and off a charger as well, so I bought a Magcode plug and ctek adaptor to make things even easier. This is the exact same thing you'll find on Astons and Ferraris, where they expect the car to live in a garage most of it's life.

This lets you permanently mount a socket on car somewhere (under the rear bumper, by the license plate etc) and just attach and detatch the magnetic plug.
That's exactly what I have been looking for. I see the new Aston's have it built in. Great idea. Thanks for the link!

The following 3 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
grandell (12-11-2020), jahummer (12-14-2020), Kuekuatsu07 (02-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
As often happens, this thread has wandered off-course and for my part in that I am sorry. We are no longer addressing the OP's concern, and we've managed to start talking about each other rather than the issue raised. Respectfully, can we go back to the OP's concern? Thanks.
Respectfully Bill can we carry on being off topic?
Someone's about to divulge they've got another base location even more off the radar than the UAE?! And George is having another fight with his mates - I've just opened up a bag of popcorn

The following 3 users liked this post by wsn03:
Bill Mack (12-11-2020), jahummer (12-14-2020), MarkyUK (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03
Someone's about to divulge they've got another base location even more off the radar than the UAE?! And George is having another fight with his mates - I've just opened up a bag of popcorn
If the OP has all he needs, you can do whatever...

The following users liked this post:
wsn03 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03
it takes two to tango, and I'm done. I have nothing else to say to him, so enjoy your popcorn with a cold one!

wsn03 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Just emailed the service manager at my AM dealership to see how much it is to install that Magcode.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Bad pigtail wiring

I recently installed a pigtail directly to my battery terminals. This item: 2 Pcs 16 AWG SAE Battery Charger Kit, 8 Ft SAE To SAE DC Power Connector Cable And 3 Ft Ring Terminal Harness With Fused SAE Quick Disconnect Plug https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MP9MV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

So connected my Schumacher maintainer and didn’t get a “charging” indicator. Checked pigtail connections and they were good. What heck??? Maintainer worked fine on my wife’s car the day before!

Connected the maintainer to the battery using the maintainer kit’s spring clamps and charging indicator was GOOD!
Turns out the pigtail had the + (red) lead connected to the EXPOSED lug on the SAE plug which is the reverse of what the maintainer and its wiring expected to see. Not to mention you have the exposed hot lead floating around in the car that could short out (a cover for the SAE plug is provided and the hot lead has an in-line fuse but still a bad practice). Bad manufacturing!
Fortunately the maintainer is smart enough to do nothing if not connected to the proper battery terminals ( I think most maintainers have this safeguard as well). Anyway, I removed the pigtail and gave it the “float” test. I could have cut the SAE connector off and rewired to proper polarity but think it is important to maintain wire color code protocols of red for hot and black for ground.
New, properly wired pigtail (at least per the product picture) will be here tomorrow. Double check your connections and wiring is the lesson.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Who would have expected the colors to be reversed?

That's why I always read the Amazon negative reviews first. I just looked at that item and 7 reviewers mentioned that the polarity is backwards.
Amazon Amazon

Any electrical engineers out there? I'm wondering if this product meets electrical code standards in the USA. If not, Amazon shouldn't sell it. Beware of products Made in China. ... Isn't everything?

Old 12-12-2020, 07:22 AM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Who would have expected the colors to be reversed?

That's why I always read the Amazon negative reviews first. I just looked at that item and 7 reviewers mentioned that the polarity is backwards.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Charg.../dp/B07MP9MVC3

Any electrical engineers out there? I'm wondering if this product meets electrical code standards in the USA. If not, Amazon shouldn't sell it. Beware of products Made in China. ... Isn't everything?
Yep, you are correct Stuart. My bad for being in a hurry ( over a year ago so not so many recent reviews clearly pointing out how it is wired) and not thoroughly checking details and reviews that this pigtail is wired opposite so suited for connecting to a load application like lights. This is not suitable for connecting to the source (battery) end of a circuit.

The title and description of the product are misleading as they specify battery charger use. I also looked at the product pictures closer which shows a pigtail connected to an Interstate battery (picture 5, lower right). THAT pigtail is correct for charger use with the negative wire going to the exposed lug but the product being sold is wired the other way around!

From an engineering perspective, nothing is wrong with the design or manufacture if connecting to a load, but the description is plain wrong. I wanted to share with the forum it should NOT be used on the battery end of a charger/maintainer connection. Added my review to Amazon explaining all this as previous reviewers, that I had not read thoroughly, had also done.

If I’d gone to my local NAPA store, they would hooked me up with the correct pigtail initially. Online purchase is on me to figure out what I am getting.

Stuart S (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am ordering the Cteck us 0.8 and comport connect Cig Plug. Has anyone used the Cig Plug? I have an 2009 XK and had the jag dealer install a new battery this week.
Also is there another battery charging point other than directly to the battery in the trunk? If there is (under hood) or other hidden spot I could not find one?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

The cigarette socket won't work because it is on a switched circuit. That means that it is off when the engine is off and there is no power to that socket.

You can attach your battery maintainer to the Remote battery terminals in the trunk. See my Post #8, above, for details.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-12-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Just emailed the service manager at my AM dealership to see how much it is to install that Magcode.
Am I the only one dying to know the cost they come back with?

Old 12-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Be careful about what you wish for, as it could give you a heart attack and ...

Old 12-14-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

They said "oh, that's the way all the Aston's are coming from the factory, we haven't converted one yet." I asked for an guesstimate on how many hours; haven't heard back. If it's under 3 hours I'd do it.

If I do it, I'll have them source the parts.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Just got word back from the service manager at Aston, "If we can use the existing wiring and convert the port in the trunk it will be $190" in labor. Not bad IMO. Will schedule to get it done at some point soon.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, not bad if that's all they will charge you, but the operative word is "if". How much will it cost to determine "if" that's feasibile? And why can't they determine that before you bring your car in, based on their service manual wiring diagrams or similar vehicles that are in their dealership?

I don't like their approach. It tells me that they don't know enough about their products and want you to pay for their education. What did they learn from their factory training?

Old 12-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clip wire

Originally Posted by George Abitbol
Hi all!

Here's the situation: my XK was sold to me with an "intelligent" CTek MXS 5.0 charger, like this:

Given I've just bought my XK and that I won't get to drive it a lot these days, I thought I'd give it a good overnight charge. So I removed that trunk panel to access it, so as to open the caps (I've always done that on my previous cars, to prevent the hydrogen from accumulating and possibly from causing the battery to blow up)...and I couldn't find any way to open them!! Actually, I didn't find anything to open...

However, I noticed a little duct coming out of the left of the battery and going somewhere (couldn't tell where): could that be a vent to release potential hydrogen production during a charge?
Therefore, can I just connect my CTek to the battery and leave it like that overnight, without having to do any kind of operation on the battery prior to the charge?

Do some of you guys have experience with such chargers?

Thanks a ton in advance for your replies/experiences!!
I cant speak directly to your more “technical” question but for me (05 Xk8 that I leave on same CTEK for 7 mos. at a time and always starts right up!!!) I had mechanic connect a wire w 2 hole clip, that sits on inside right side of trunk, that CTEK 5.0 clips right into!!!.... easy peasy!!.... if u want to use car anytime just open trunk, disconnect, and reconnect when u get home .... call CTEK tech advisors and they will gladly tell u what u need to buy to prob DIY in your case!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Yes, not bad if that's all they will charge you, but the operative word is "if". How much will it cost to determine "if" that's feasibile? And why can't they determine that before you bring your car in, based on their service manual wiring diagrams or similar vehicles that are in their dealership?

I don't like their approach. It tells me that they don't know enough about their products and want you to pay for their education. What did they learn from their factory training?
You can bring your cars somewhere else then... They've given me plenty of gratis service over the years. His answer was from a text.
They know Aston's inside and out, but he was at home at the time. I doubt they'll get many takers for this upgrade on a Rapide. They only know of 50 Rapide's that have ever been in their service. Only two dealerships in all of New England. So not many of these are around.

jahummer (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I doubt they'll get many takers for this upgrade on a Rapide. They only know of 50 Rapide's that have ever been in their service. Only two dealerships in all of New England. So not many of these are around.
The Rapide seems to be particularly popular in New Zealand. There are 4 for sale at the moment on our local buy/sell website and I have seen loads go through while I have been keeping my eye on the Aston market.

mosesbotbol (12-16-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:30 PM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

And slightly off topic, but given there's a 12V plug inside the glove box, is the cigarette lighter still usable as a 12V plug as well? Or does it only light cigarettes?

Quick Reply: Is there anything to do on the battery before plugging a CTEK charger?