XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

is there a heat difference in black and tan seats in a vert?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default is there a heat difference in black and tan seats in a vert?

I like the look of the black interior but a know black absorbs heat. Have any of you noticed a discernable difference in the two colors? My back sweats a lot, even in the tan vert we have but I've never owned black seats. Will they stay hot or will they normalize after driving a few minutes?

The cooled seats in the 5L would be optimum but trying to stay in a lower price with the 4.2s.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

My memory doesn't bring anyone to mind that has had both.

There is a lot of energy in invisible light, so the light vs dark color doesn't make as big of a difference as you might think. Other properties such as ventilation are more important.

Seems like a product like this would make a difference when it is parked with windows up.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren

There is a lot of energy in invisible light, so the light vs dark color doesn't make as big of a difference as you might think. Other properties such as ventilation are more important.
This brings to mind a news story I saw on the local news about 30 years ago. A local Junior High School science class conducted an experiment to see if it was true that dark colored cars got hotter than light colored cars. They went to a local Ford dealer and hung thermometers in every Taurus on the lot and monitored them on a Sunday when the dealership was closed. They recorded the temperatures in the middle of the afternoon, analyzed the results and discovered that there was not a statistically significant difference in the inside air temperature based on the exterior color of the car. As I recall the story, there was like a one degree increase with dark colored interiors vs light colored interiors but are you really going to be able to tell the difference between 135F and 136F? If you like black interiors, I'd say buy the black interior and use window shades, a car cover, put a beach towel over the seat or something, whatever you have to do. Regardless what color you pick, its going to deteriorate from the ultraviolet light and extreme heat either way if you don't protect it.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,430 Likes on 3,207 Posts

My 'vert is all black interior and the only thing I do to keep the seats cooler is to 'flip' them forward when I park with the top down.
I also have a 'vert Mustang with black leather interior and I always flip those seats forward also with the top down. Sometimes the angle of the sun makes it less effective, but it does do a lot to help.
Oh, same with my bike..... when I park it in the sun I put a white towel over the black seat. That is a definite must-do in my opinion. I've burned my man-parts too many times.
I've not owned a 'vert with any other color interior; it seems....... sacrilegious to do so.