XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Things to look out for in a 2010 XK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I found one and looked at the Carfax and have a couple questions/concerns. IT mentions a tail light assembly replaced and wonder why that would be? IT also mentions the fuel tank was replaced and from 12/11 to 06/12, the body computer module was reprogrammed twice. It also mentions a battery replacement and charging system checked three times in a nine month period. Do these sound like normal issues for a 2010. It has 16k for mileage. Thoughts?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I found one and looked at the Carfax and have a couple questions/concerns. IT mentions a tail light assembly replaced and wonder why that would be? IT also mentions the fuel tank was replaced and from 12/11 to 06/12, the body computer module was reprogrammed twice. It also mentions a battery replacement and charging system checked three times in a nine month period. Do these sound like normal issues for a 2010. It has 16k for mileage. Thoughts?
Run, that is far too many things wrong with such a young car and Carmax is awful at honoring any kind of warranty.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I mentioned it somewhere else, but the rear LEDs have been known to be faulty on mine and another 2010. Both had to be replaced (under warranty). Maybe that explains that. The reprogram is a software issue and that doesn't sound so bad. The fuel tank? weird. If all was done at the dealer I don't know that it would scare me too much. I've had other cars that had glitches off the assembly line that were fixed and perfect from there on out. The factory warranty may still apply to that car? But if you can fine a better one...

Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

I just sold my 2007 XK and now all I have to do is find a low mileage 2010 that's reasonably priced. Boy, in Auto Trader they are all over the place price wise. $39K to almost $60K. I think some of the dealers are nuts.
Very low mileage (teens) for a 2010 and being a CPO car will bring the value up considerably. I too have been looking for a 2010 but find it hard to find anything with low miles that is not located on the other side of the planet or priced with telephone numbers. The search goes on. In addition, if the right car comes along, it's important to make a move quickly or it's gone! This is not to say that inspecting and investigating are not called for, but must be done as quickly as possible.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Skeeter,
I'm not ready for the XKR power. I've driven a few 2010 XKs and they make my '07 xk feel like a dog. I'm looking for a coupe in black, white, silver or gray, not necessarily in that order. I'm honed in on three and have made offers on all. Whoever pops first wins. As for the warranty, I bought that with my XK cost a bundle and I never had a chance to use it. the three I'm looking at now are all still under factory warranty so I think I'll go with that and roll the dice. My 07 was absolutely bulletproof and I never had to do anything but two batteries and tires, oh and one coil pack. I'm thinking these things are too reliable to wast money on an extended warranty.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Skeeter,
I'm not ready for the XKR power. I've driven a few 2010 XKs and they make my '07 xk feel like a dog. I'm looking for a coupe in black, white, silver or gray, not necessarily in that order. I'm honed in on three and have made offers on all. Whoever pops first wins. As for the warranty, I bought that with my XK cost a bundle and I never had a chance to use it. the three I'm looking at now are all still under factory warranty so I think I'll go with that and roll the dice. My 07 was absolutely bulletproof and I never had to do anything but two batteries and tires, oh and one coil pack. I'm thinking these things are too reliable to wast money on an extended warranty.
Are you turned off to any car originating from the North East?

Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Are you turned off to any car originating from the North East?
Not really. As long as the miles are low ans service records are available. I'm also going to have whatever I get checked out by a mechanic first. One of cars I'm looking at is a tow owner car but strangely, the seoncd owner had the car for just two months. That's a tad disconcerting.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got a 2010 XKR and it does have the adaptive cruise control. I really thought that it was standard, at least on XKR. I only found 20 in wheels as the sole option for that year when I was researching. Were their any other options? Oh, and seller tried to tell me that the car I bought from him had an MSRP of $110k. I thought that it was more like $96k with the standard 19 in wheels. Standard colors, nothing special from the factory.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Skeeter,
Extended warranties most always work out in the favor people selling them. It's a huge profit for the sellers.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Any luck finding one with the 100k Jag warranty? And seriously, try to factor the "in service" date. My 2010 didn't get titled until 2011, effectively giving me an extra year of warranty coverage.

While all my jaguars have been amazingly reliable, I wouldn't want to own a current generation XKR without some serious warranty protection... Really amazing that Jaguar still has the unreliable rep considering how solid they are. So far all 3 that I've had have been dead reliable and they only need servicing once a year. Nice.

Chaz, are you looking for a coupe or convertible? What color? Man, if you could get a late 2010 XKR for anything under say $53k you'd be getting some SERIOUS car for the $. I paid $70 for my 2011 this last January (Coupe, 10k miles, no radar adaptive cruise control).

Come to think of it, he radar cruise control is one of few options and adds some value, you may want to factor it in...

I had it in my 2010 coupe and loved it. I thought it was standard until I bought my 2011 and nearly rear ended a truck on the bay bridge, lol. I'm thinking, ok, we are getting close, when are we going to start slowing down... Then I reached for the 'distance' wheel on the steering wheel and realized it wasn't there. Doh!

Good luck,

Skeeter
Found the car! $43K and under 20K miles. Silver 2010 coupe. Good deal?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Check out NADA Home Page, New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com for pricing. These guides will help in determining the value of the car you are looking at. It's a guide and a good starting point.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (10-26-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM

A Few more miles... but a steal of a price. it's near me if you need a ride from the airport.

Used 2007 Jaguar XK For Sale | Charlotte NC

chazaroo (10-26-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

It's a no brainer.....If it's an original paint car and well maintained with documented service and mileage, it's a phenomenal deal. It is closer to the wholesale price. I hope you get it....and then you better post all the pictures or we are not talking to you!

chazaroo (10-26-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
It's a no brainer.....If it's an original paint car and well maintained with documented service and mileage, it's a phenomenal deal. It is closer to the wholesale price. I hope you get it....and then you better post all the pictures or BAN!
Fixed

chazaroo (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

It's a one owner car with 6 months left on the warranty. The car was always serviced at the dealer selling the car. If the Lemon Squad inspection I ordered comes in clean, I'll have it shipped here. I should have it week after next. I'll post photos. Regarding price, sales of cars like this drop off in the north during winter. I think that's why the dealer is letting it go. They were about to send it to auction!

bocatrip (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

It's a one owner car with 6 months left on the warranty. The car was always serviced at the dealer selling the car. If the Lemon Squad inspection I ordered comes in clean, I'll have it shipped here. I should have it week after next. I'll post photos. Regarding price, sales of cars like this drop off in the north during winter. I think that's why the dealer is letting it go. They were about to send it to auction!
Where is the car coming from, up north?

Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

I agree about the Northern cars having very competitive pricing. I can pick out a dozen cars I am interested in, but unlike Chazaroo, I do not have the personality to purchase a car without seeing it myself. I've been tempted to go your route of first an initial inspection such as the lemon squad, then flying up for my visual, then an independent Jaguar dealership inspection. Unfortunately, this becomes a job that I'm not enthusiastic about undertaking. I'd prefer to pay the extra bucks (which may very well be significant) to purchase locally. However Chazaroo, if you succeed with your purchase and send in some impressive pictures, I may just change my mind!

chazaroo (10-29-2013)