XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thinking about getting a MY 2007+ XK or XKR after XJ8.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I can't agree with you assumptions of the reliability of the 5.0L engine unless you can show me the data that supports these issues. Until then all the comments on any form is but mere hearsay. Please provide the numbers on how many waterpump or timing chain failures have happened on the 2010-present 5.0L engines. It is similar to me that the duck bill in the 4.2 cars is a major problem. Without data we have nothing.
I'll happily agree to disagree. Using the search function I found no water pump failures in the 06+ 4.2. Multiple on the 5.0. N/A 4.2's had issues with thermostat housings. Same with the cam chain. While it's not scientific raw data, I don't think it's rocket science either. I'll eat the duck bill issue.

My motorcycle riding buddy is the manager of parts at a local Jaguar dealer. He was the one who said the 4.2's, specifically the SC, were the least problematic when I was shopping for my first XKR. I'll see if I can get some hard numbers. Challenge of course is I would expect 07-09's to be higher mileage. What I really need is warranty repairs for real data.

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The 5.0 is more reliable- when you look at it from the upshot, which no one has discussed yet.
The biggest innovation in the 5.0 is the cam phaser. it gives lighting quick power, so good that even Ford is licensing it from Jaguar. When you think about hotrodding from simpler times,the first thing one did was cams.

Second thing one did was forced induction, the NEW Supercharger is greatly improved and has no whine.

The third thing one did was faster more tuned fuel- Direct Injection in the 5.0 is no joke, another industry first they have centrally mounted the spray.

Even if the 5.0 had the same output as the 4.2, the torque curve of the 5.0 is nothing short of glorious. And in real world driving, the torque and thrill is there in regular non high rev driving.

While 420hp is a powerful car, 510hp with active cams, electronic diff an direct injection, you are in the supercar territory.
While I'll happily agree that the 5.0 is a step forward in technology that alone does not by default make it more reliable. Even if failure rates are low in the 5.0 (H2O pumps, chain tensioners/phasers/etc) there are failures. This forum proves it. If someone has to drop $3000 in 30k miles for "maintenance" then I would not call that "reliable". I'm not saying all will do this but based on this forum I'd say it happens more on the 5.0 than the 4.2. My 1986 Toyota 22R had 232,000 miles on it when I replaced the original water pump. That's reliable. Maybe it's a pilot thing. I'd rather fly a 5 year old airplane than a new design fresh off the drafting table!

That being said I'm not poo-pooing the 5.0. It's badass. It has more potential than the 15 year old 4.2 (surprise?). It's 800cc bigger. It is a very good engine with few teething problems for a clean sheet design. But teething problems exist, even if small numbers and therefore I stand behind my opinion that the 5.0 is not as reliable as the old tech, fully developed, anemic (LOL) 4.2. Like I've said before I'd happily own a face-lift 2012 and later if I could afford it.

Oh and less supercharger whine on the 5.0? Sorry mate, that's a giant flying leap backward!!!!

How thin is my veil of 510hp jealousy?

Last edited by flyc2c; 04-02-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

fly no real argument here just looking for the data. Seeing some complaints here I assume there are some failures but to get a hand around whether it is a reliability issue I think needs to be supported by more info. I realize it will be hard to obtain as Jaguar as with any mfg. doesn't want to let this info out. I don't know how many 5.0L engines Jaguar has manufactured so it will be hard to determine how many of them have had a failed WP. Same with the form here , how many of us have 5.0 cars and out of that how many have had WP failures.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 AM

fly no real argument here just looking for the data.
I'll see what I can find out! No promises of a time line though.

Where abouts in NY are you? I fly to Elmira, Syracuse, LaGuardia and Buffalo quite often. Topless weather is coming soon!

Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I'll see what I can find out! No promises of a time line though.

Where abouts in NY are you? I fly to Elmira, Syracuse, LaGuardia and Buffalo quite often. Topless weather is coming soon!
We are half way between NYC and Albany. Closest airport is Steward in Newburgh NY

It would be interesting to have a poll and find out how many are 4.2 and how many are 5.0 owners.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
While I'll happily agree that the 5.0 is a step forward in technology that alone does not by default make it more reliable. Even if failure rates are low in the 5.0 (H2O pumps, chain tensioners/phasers/etc) there are failures. This forum proves it. If someone has to drop $3000 in 30k miles for "maintenance" then I would not call that "reliable". I'm not saying all will do this but based on this forum I'd say it happens more on the 5.0 than the 4.2. My 1986 Toyota 22R had 232,000 miles on it when I replaced the original water pump. That's reliable. Maybe it's a pilot thing. I'd rather fly a 5 year old airplane than a new design fresh off the drafting table!
Mate, for an Aviator I am shocked at what you did not write in your reply to me. Its intervention time. Tell us how often you have to discard perfectly good engines on a Learjet? It is best practice to change out timing belt and water pumps at 60k on any exotic hi-perf engine. And yes this engine is worth that. BTW, I did it on my toyota too when it did not need one- twice already. Sure you can get lucky and go 250k on a water pump. I am one one such right now in my SUV. Only because the aftermarket pumps they made were junk- i.e. I would be replacing a good one with bad.

Anyway, bottomline is something different, the saboteur devil sitting on your shoulders is getting so desperate that it shows. Dont let him keep you from the love of your life, a 5.0.

No the 5.0 not in the same league as 4.2, the 4.2 was developed by cash strapped under-funded Jaguar. The 5.0 was the result of putting all resources allocated from Ford into engine dev- a first for Jaguar.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

The 'devil's' argument is that the less performance you have the more reliable it will be. Sure, that logic lands you with a Honda, and ultimately in his court as fundamentally you will be settling for all sorts of cheap thrills. Dont settle for cheap thrills get a 5.0.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 AM

The 'devil's' argument is that the less performance you have the more reliable it will be. Sure, that logic lands you with a Honda, and ultimately in his court as fundamentally you will be settling for all sorts of cheap thrills. Dont settle for cheap thrills get a 5.0.
Honda was the leader for normally aspirated hp per liter for years. 237hp out of 2 liters in the incredibly reliable s2000. Far beyond the operating pressures and stresses of our engines. So technically if they built a 5.0 it would be 592hp and probably not break. Sans supercharger. Jag doesn't have that kind of R&D. It's impressive what they did with both engines. A Ford "cash strapped" 4.2sc=100hp per liter and a Jag "throw all the money at it" 5.0sc=102hp per liter. Pretty much a wash in terms of specific output. Not a huge technological breakthrough for all the added complexity. Those added complexity have yielded more Hp as development continues.

I don't consider my 07 XKR cheap. Some consider me cheap. I prefer fugal.

This 'devils' argument was reliability. I've (jealously) acknowledged the superior performance.

Mate, for an Aviator I am shocked at what you did not write in your reply to me. Its intervention time. Tell us how often you have to discard perfectly good engines on a Learjet?

I thought we were talking old engine design and new engine design. If a salesman came to me and said we can remove your old design, proven reliable engines and replace them with new ones that are 20% larger and 20% more powerful, but major components may fail and an increase in fuel burn? I'd stick with the old ones. But maybe a wealthier pilot who wants to get there a few minutes faster and like the thrill of more take-off thrust would.

I have no doubt a 5.0 is in my future. It has more potential than the 4.2. It was at the end of it's development cycle. There are pros and cons to that. No so with the 5.0! No doubt there's +600hp in that engine. It's only money that's keeping me from it!

I'll come to the intervention if there's beer! But you'll have to drink with me. After I get a ride in your car!

Don't take me too seriously. We're all mates here. Cheers!

Last edited by flyc2c; 04-03-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

We are half way between NYC and Albany. Closest airport is Steward in Newburgh NY

It would be interesting to have a poll and find out how many are 4.2 and how many are 5.0 owners.
Let's start the poll !

Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Here it is Jagtoes

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...u-have-160514/

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

You are on for that beer and you are buying cause you will get to drive a 5.0. I know a place in Norcross that I bet you dont.

How often does one have to throw a perfectly good working engine on a leerjet away? My jet engine mechanic buddies tell me that FAA regs require it. So how does that work into your philosophy of dont fix if it aint broke.

No its not 100 extra HP-its crossing the line from borderline high-performance to supercar territory, for no more consumption in energy.
You cant compare Honda and output per liter, those rice burners develop virtually no torque, which is the only thing that matters when it comes to excitement, and when they do its really very high into rpm range. The Jaguar is effortless power and endless pull. I want a Honda in my pressure washers and a Jaguar in my muscle car.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts