XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thinking of buying an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I can't decide whether to get a 5.0 XKR or a F-Type Base. Help.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

What's the price difference, your driving pattern?

I had the choice of a F type or a late model (2015) XKR, but confess to having an affinity with the X100 that carried over to the 150

In my case I've two older teenage children (16 & 17) and have another car if they need an uber

Old 09-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Um, plastic fantastic or curvy svelte aluminum glory?

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (09-03-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

N/A 4.2 with exhaust mods/ecu tune /enlarged throttle 81mm/3.58 diff ratio

17l/100km every day driving and 8-9l/100km freeway .

The prob with n/a vs s/c is we really need to get the revs going to get decent power which equates to high fuel consumption you'll find with the xkr the power is constant throughout the entire rev range and doesn't need to be ringed by the neck!

As a bonus you also get larger brakes and stiffer suspension.

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 09-04-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

V6 or supercharged V8? That's a decision?

The following 2 users liked this post by flyc2c:
Cee Jay (09-05-2018), scm (09-18-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
V6 or supercharged V8? That's a decision?
Seems like it was a trick question given how easy that was to answer.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

F-Type and XKR - They are totally different cars.
You need to answer the following question? What do you require from your Sportscar?
I want power, very decent performance, and yes, space.
My XKR gets used on long cross country journeys where we sleep over and only return home days later.
An F-Type is small inside with very little storage space. No rear seats. Same story with a Cayman S.
I won't be able to pack enough for me and the missus to thoroughly enjoy our time away from home.
I know, I sound very old even though I am not even 40 yet...
So yes, it might sound boring, but the V8 and abundance of packing space clinched the deal!
This is also the reason I didn't buy a 911, small car, less space to pack stuff (even though it also has jump seats) and no V8.
If you won't take the F-Type on vacation, it is not a bad choice, but, I would still prefer the big boy looks of an XKR!!

Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

The F-type base can be had as a manual.

The F-type is a much better handling car.

The XKR is spacious and comfortable.

Asking us this question is some what like asking between a Bentley 2+2 and a Corvette.

Since these two cars represent different market aspects, two seater sports car, 2+2 GT, it will be down to what you want.

I take my Corvette for light traffic or less then 25 minute trips one way. Since I now work from home, it is the car that gets driven most.

My XK, is decidedly the car to deal with traffic, and decidedly the car for longer trips.

Both are enjoyable, but it comes down to your own roads and driving between a F-type and XKR.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

The performance and price difference are massive, swaying in the XKs favor. The F Type is lighter, and in lower trims can be had with a manual transmission, but is more money and the base model has 200HP less than the XKR 5.0.

It's a smaller, sportier car. It's slower, has less room, and is a sports car versus a powerful GT car. I'd rather have a GT car for my needs than a sports car. Drive both and see which meets your needs better.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

XKs are categorically different from F-type. If you are shopping for a sports car, then F-type in any trim is superior to any corresponding trim of XK. If you are shopping for a comfortable and spacious highway cruiser, then XKR is superior as it has more interior and luggage room and softer suspension.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
XKs are categorically different from F-type. If you are shopping for a sports car, then F-type in any trim is superior to any corresponding trim of XK. If you are shopping for a comfortable and spacious highway cruiser, then XKR is superior as it has more interior and luggage room and softer suspension.
I respect your opinion, after all we all have one, but a blanket statement like this doesn't necessarily hold true in all scenarios. Not everyone buys a "sports car" for the same reasons, looks, handling, straight speed, track car, ect... Let's just say for the sake of conversation that you are correct and that the F-Type is superior at all trim levels, the potential buyer made it quite clear what his two options are, a base F or a 5.0L XKR, with that info, no need to compare other trims. So with that can we just say both cars are spectacular vehicles. I to had the same decision to make not long ago, well I guess you can see my bias... Oh, and I think most people consider the XKR a sports car, just saying...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I've driven both but am still undecided. Problem I have with XKR is the dated interior. Problem with F-Type is heavy steering and firm ride (again, just my opinion). I really like the smaller size of F-T and the coupe's decent trunk space. The XKR rides more plush and comfortable. I'll have to 'Turo' a F-T for a long trip and see how that went, but currently I'm leaning towards the XKR.... now if only I could sell my XJ8L, the used market for British cars is really pathetic.

Last edited by Wolfy; 09-10-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wolfy - good luck with the sale of the XJ8L. I hope you come right.
Unfortunately, re-sale of the XJ8L will be very poor, you might end up giving it away.
But, that is what makes Jaguars (especially used ones), so attractive for buyers like me.
I know I am picking up a very good vehicle for a steal, but I also know that once time comes to sell, I will struggle to find a buyer, unless I give it away at a steal to the next purchaser.
But yes, it all balances out in the end - you buy for little, and sell for little.

Looking at your reply above - I am not so sure that you want the XKR??
You say that you like the smaller size of the F-Type. That tells me that the XKR will not suit your needs.
I think you are looking for a newer car, not a dated car and interior (XKR).
I also think that you want a compact sportscar, and not a luxurious GT.
I will therefore tell you to rather go and purchase the F-Type - the things you say makes me believe that you will be unhappy with the much bigger GT.
Never get buyers remorse with a Jaguar - it is not easy finding buyers for vehicles you want to sell.

Good luck - two cracking cars, make very sure of what you want and require and what suits your needs.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, so I'm going to 'Turo' both cars and decide on one. All things considered, ride comfort is #1 for me, that's why I'm leaning towards the XKR. I don't expect to sell my 13-year-old XJ8L for much but the problem is lack of interest and the few calls I did get went invariably like this, "so I hear Jags have poor reliability...." Sad!

Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I respect your opinion, after all we all have one, but a blanket statement like this doesn't necessarily hold true in all scenarios. Not everyone buys a "sports car" for the same reasons, looks, handling, straight speed, track car, ect... Let's just say for the sake of conversation that you are correct and that the F-Type is superior at all trim levels, the potential buyer made it quite clear what his two options are, a base F or a 5.0L XKR, with that info, no need to compare other trims. So with that can we just say both cars are spectacular vehicles. I to had the same decision to make not long ago, well I guess you can see my bias... Oh, and I think most people consider the XKR a sports car, just saying...
I agree, most people buy sports cars to pose. Just simple fact that overwhelming majority of 911s, Ferraris, Lambos and so on never see a single day on the track demonstrates this point. Many exotics are not that comfortable to drive, they are designed for track use and make sacrifices in comfort for improved performance. F-type is like that, it is not as comfortable as XK as a consequence of being a better handling and faster car. You might not want to make these trade-offs, and this is perfectly reasonable approach, and in that case pick XK.

Now, with F-type there are couple options that make it more "livable" in everyday driving. One is active exhaust - it has quiet mode that you would appreciate on any road trip. Second one is semi-active suspension, it has softer mode for everyday driving. These are generally available on S trim and up, but really make trade-offs minor sacrifices. Base F-type offers great value, but it is always harsh and always loud.

So my suggestion is if you are shopping for F-type with everyday driving in mind, look for V8S or R and not base trim. Also avoid plus-sized wheels and go with one equipped with 19 inch rims. Another suggestion - insist on blind sport monitor equipped car, blind spots on F-type are rather large.

Last edited by SinF; 09-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I agree, most people buy sports cars to pose. Just simple fact that overwhelming majority of 911s, Ferraris, Lambos and so on never see a single day on the track demonstrates this point. Many exotics are not that comfortable to drive, they are designed for track use and make sacrifices in comfort for improved performance. F-type is like that, it is not as comfortable as XK as a consequence of being a better handling and faster car. You might not want to make these trade-offs, and this is perfectly reasonable approach, and in that case pick XK.

Now, with F-type there are couple options that make it more "livable" in everyday driving. One is active exhaust - it has quiet mode that you would appreciate on any road trip. Second one is semi-active suspension, it has softer mode for everyday driving. These are generally available on S trim and up, but really make trade-offs minor sacrifices. Base F-type offers great value, but it is always harsh and always loud.

So my suggestion is if you are shopping for F-type with everyday driving in mind, look for V8S or R and not base trim. Also avoid plus-sized wheels and go with one equipped with 19 inch rims. Another suggestion - insist on blind sport monitor equipped car, blind spots on F-type are rather large.
Plenty of people that don't take their car to the track, that doesn't make them a poser, as you suggest... Again you have suggested a car that the potential buyer has not said is an option for him/her... I guess I should suggest the XKRS GT? I think we all agree that the top trim levels on either will most likely be a better car, but that comes with added expenses that the buyer might not have or be willing to spend.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I've driven both but am still undecided. Problem I have with XKR is the dated interior. Problem with F-Type is heavy steering and firm ride (again, just my opinion). I really like the smaller size of F-T and the coupe's decent trunk space. The XKR rides more plush and comfortable. I'll have to 'Turo' a F-T for a long trip and see how that went, but currently I'm leaning towards the XKR.... now if only I could sell my XJ8L, the used market for British cars is really pathetic.
Interesting perspective. The F-Type interior does seem more contemporary, but in a pedestrian, ordinary kind of way. The wheel is the same wheel found on the entry-level XE, and the center layout lacks a certain type of design elegance. It has a bit of business to it I find common across makes and models. The XK shares DNA with the AM waterfall design concept, and its simplicity in execution will endure over time. Of course this is just an opinion, but as it is mine, I tend to agree with it. The irony is if the F-Type interior was as well executed as the exterior I'd probably be driving one.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Plenty of people that don't take their car to the track, that doesn't make them a poser, as you suggest... Again you have suggested a car that the potential buyer has not said is an option for him/her... I guess I should suggest the XKRS GT? I think we all agree that the top trim levels on either will most likely be a better car, but that comes with added expenses that the buyer might not have or be willing to spend.
+1

Old 09-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

The XKR is nice but I would choose the F-Type for the modern tech.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

This discussion is still pretty subjective and is dependent on each persons priority. The 1st question to get over is do you want a Jaguar. Then what do you want it for. Would it be the styling or the performance or the comfort or the technology. Although price falls into the equation we all know going in that the depreciation is huge and you'll never get it back so it doesn't really become a factor for a lot of us. Having been a Jaguar nut through the years I already bought in and wanting a convertible in my waning years was a prerequisite . In my youth I would have gone for the Corvette but now we were looking for a weekend cruiser and something to take to the club. Then the choice was color which had to be green , blue or red. Last was XK or XKR and not having 500+ HP in my life made the decision simple. So make your choice and enjoy it .

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an XKR