XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

To those of you who use the Autel HT200 or AP200

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts
Default To those of you who use the Autel HT200 or AP200

I need some help. My issue is with disconnecting the device. When I do, the car doesn't start. there's another thread about this but it ended up going sideways with no solution.
I only use the device to read and sometimes clear codes. I can resolve this via a hard reset but that's just not the right way I'm certain.
Per the manual in bold:
NOTE
Damage to the vehicle electronic control module (ECM) may occur if communication is disrupted. Make sure the wireless connection is properly connected at all times during testing. Exit all tests before disconnecting the test connection or powering down the tool.

The Diagnostics application remains open as long as there is an active communication with the vehicle. You must exit the diagnostics operation to stop all communications with the vehicle before closing the Diagnostics application.

I have tried :
1) exiting diagnostics and it asks me if I'm sure? I say yes, then close the app and then disconnect bluetooth in that order. The BT dongle does not want to release from the OBDII port. Once it does, the engine will not start. I have to disconnect and re-connect battery then all is fine.
2 disconnect dongle from bluetooth, then exit diagnostics. It asks me if I'm sure and I say yes, then close the app. The BT dongle does not want to release from the OBDII port. Once it does, the car won't start and I have to disconnect the battery and all is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I still have SDD with no issue other than the PIA to get it up and running. I usually just use the Autel to read live data while driving.

Thanks for your input if you use this tool.
Also fwiw, I called tech support. After being on hold 27 minutes, a message came to leave your number and they will call back. Well that didn't happen. I also sent an email. They responded 3 days later and their response was to call tech support:-)

Old 10-25-2022, 06:00 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I used it to retract the EB when I installed new pads on the rear. It worked great.

I also used it to reset the BMS when I installed a new battery last year. If I recall correctly I never received a confirmation after initiating the process.

Never had any problems, but the infotainment system did make some weird noise.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I have used mine a lot and just unplug it, no issues, but mine is a 5 litre.

Sean W (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:47 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

@Sean W , that was my experience as well. So I returned it.
Also, I did leave it connected once while taking a drive. The car didn’t like that either.

Coincidentally, we both have ‘07’s.

Sean W (10-25-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:55 AM
Received 598 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I need some help. My issue is with disconnecting the device. When I do, the car doesn't start. there's another thread about this but it ended up going sideways with no solution.
I only use the device to read and sometimes clear codes. I can resolve this via a hard reset but that's just not the right way I'm certain.
Per the manual in bold:
NOTE
Damage to the vehicle electronic control module (ECM) may occur if communication is disrupted. Make sure the wireless connection is properly connected at all times during testing. Exit all tests before disconnecting the test connection or powering down the tool.

The Diagnostics application remains open as long as there is an active communication with the vehicle. You must exit the diagnostics operation to stop all communications with the vehicle before closing the Diagnostics application.

I have tried :
1) exiting diagnostics and it asks me if I'm sure? I say yes, then close the app and then disconnect bluetooth in that order. The BT dongle does not want to release from the OBDII port. Once it does, the engine will not start. I have to disconnect and re-connect battery then all is fine.
2 disconnect dongle from bluetooth, then exit diagnostics. It asks me if I'm sure and I say yes, then close the app. The BT dongle does not want to release from the OBDII port. Once it does, the car won't start and I have to disconnect the battery and all is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I still have SDD with no issue other than the PIA to get it up and running. I usually just use the Autel to read live data while driving.

Thanks for your input if you use this tool.
Also fwiw, I called tech support. After being on hold 27 minutes, a message came to leave your number and they will call back. Well that didn't happen. I also sent an email. They responded 3 days later and their response was to call tech support:-)
I haven't had this problem with mine. '07 4.2 NA. (Of course, now that you found it.....ahem.....). I've had better luck when I include a Google Mandarin translation with an English request for help.

I've not been happy with Autel live data recording, BTW. "Car Scanner" app with an ELM dongle seems to have much better data resolution and readable graphics. Of course, Car Scanner does not have JLR codes, etc. But very useful on tracking STFT, LTFT and similar all-car issues in great detail, to see how engine fixes (such as vacuum leak repairs) result in re-adaptations.

Last edited by panthera999; 10-28-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Sean W (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the same issue with icarsoft as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by Canadacat:
kj07xk (10-27-2022), Sean W (10-27-2022), Tracee (10-29-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:28 PM
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Sean - I use the same scan tool AP200 and have had that issue on/off...I too would do the hard reset (which negated any changes I'd made.) I haven't had the issue in some time so I cannot be sure why it does it. Best of luck!

Sean W (10-28-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 11:35 AM
Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

I've had the same issue with my ICarSoft unit more often than not. Exit all tests, disconnect and no start. Kinda makes me hesitant to use the device. Next time I'm going to look in detail to see if there's a option "safely remove device" or "eject" as computers have with USB memory drives. There might be a certain power-down / disconnect sequence I'm missing...

Sean W (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I won't be using mine again. Autel emailed me back with no timetable for a tech to call me and said I would have to be on the phone with them with the unit connected for them to diagnose, but with no timetable, that's just silly. I'm done with it. It was good giving me live data on my suspension and it read codes fine but I will follow those above here and get another handheld like dash command, etc...
Thanks to those who weighed in.