XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thoughts On Removing the Spoiler...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Thoughts On Removing the Spoiler...

I'm an everyday driver and not into track and/or performance. Imho, the spoiler is only there to support the third stoplight.

I've tried to visualize what the rear deck lines would look like without it and I think it would be an improvement as I feel the spoiler breaks up the visual flow.
I'm seriously considering having it removed and moving the third stoplight to the top or bottom of the rear window.

I certainly would appreciate any thoughts before I start redesigning (sorry Ian) the car and possibly making a mess of it. Buckhead Performance would do the work for me. I'm an everyday driver, not an everyday DIY'er.

Thanks and regards to all,

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Interesting thought.
You have a few areas of concern to figure out, like paint (will you notice fade once the area under the spoiler is exposed) and what about the hole (drilled in lid for 3rd light power)?

Your MPG should go up, and cabin noise should go down as a side effect.

Vince

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM

CleverName,

I believe there are actually three holes. I was told the spoiler is bolted on each end with double sided tape in between and one for the 3rd light wiring. Yep, that would entail filling the holes and painting the entire section. If I go that route, will probably also black out the rear blade, trunk lid key thingy and the XK.

Might be worth the expense if I could get better mileage. Mine is awful. Tops, 22 hwy and 17/18 local, calculator method. The onboard computer reads considerably higher. Methinks it needs a reboot.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

My comments wont help you with removal of the spoiler but I have the same vehicle in Indigo Blue over camel and get just under 20mpg overall - which does include spirited driving and on a recent long haul got 26mpg - using the calculator. Your numbers do sound low. Also what do you plan to do with the satellite antennae? I happen to like the way it's tucked behind the spoiler - assuming you have one.

Steve

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM

The sat/ant will stay. Not a whole lot of options on that one.

My gas mileage will probably be even a bit less now that I had the Mina Gallery exhaust installed yesterday. I seem to be spending more time in the "S" mode now just to listen to the richer tone. Ah well, if mpg were my priority I shouldn't be driving one of these rascals.

Best,

Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default let's not spoil that tasty rearside

Tom, I am VERY interested.

Did you remove the spoiler since your last posting and if yes could you show any pics?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofsweden
Tom, I am VERY interested.

Did you remove the spoiler since your last posting and if yes could you show any pics?
Nah, never pulled the trigger and for two reasons.

One, the cost. Would have been over $2K with most of the cost in the repainting. The shop, which does primarily high end cars, suggested painting the entire rear including part of the roof for the best result. I appreciated their attention to detail.

Second and more importantly was my concern for the resale opportunity. This is already a niche market and I didn't want to narrow it more by changing the original design.

I still love her looks and like more than a few others I spend a fair amount of the time just admiring her in the garage.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Personally, I think you will ruin resale on the car. There is an XKR that I would've been very interested in, but unfortunately the seller put smoke tinting on the tails and made a few other cosmetic modifications that I just don't like.

As you noted, it's already a niche-market type of car. It would be difficult to sell an XKR even without the modifications!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more thoughts...

I also considered the resale problem and came to the following solution: I will acquire another (new or used) trunk lid to be modified and keep the original one stored for resale.

In my special case the possibly diverging paint erosion of stored vs. sun exposed parts should be compensated by the fact that for other reasons I will have the car film wrapped anyway. The wrapping should furthermore allow to leave the trunk lid unrepainted and thus save the paint shop charges.

What do you think?