XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thread about my XKR!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Totally agree but the gear changes on my XKR were no where near as smooth as my X350 when I first bought it. There was a real thump from first to second, especially when cold and a lurch when slowing down at traffic lights. I left it in the garage with the battery disconnected for a month as I went away on vacation and there was no improvement to the gear change quality afterwards.

I then used my Mongoose and SDD to reset the gearbox adaptive routines and took it through the post reset learning routine and it has been fine since.
Interesting, my gear changes are a million times smoother than my X350 ever was!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I heard back from the dealer. Still having trouble replicating the power steering pump noise, so they are going to keep the car another day.

About the interior squeaking sound in the steering, they claim something is broken and loose in the airbag. Not covered by Select Edition. That's fine, I think I knew that going in. However, I think it's more likely something related to the clockspring. How hard/safe is it to remove the airbag cover (using the proper procedures from the workshop manual) and take a peek in there?
The SA needs to be a bit inventive to get it covered like reporting that the contacts for the horn is not working. Then they can get the clock sping covered because I beileve it's part of the same unit.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ugh, I'm a little irritated right now.

Originally Posted by Jaguar service advisor
Just going down the list…

oil change – complete
loud whirring noise – he has not been able to duplicate the noise after checking many different things. There are no leaks in the power steering system and even after removing the belts one by one he has not been able to get anything to act up.
scratching/scraping noise in the steering wheel – estimate for air bag replacement $596.73 + tax
touchscreen stuck on logo – can not duplicate concern
screen between tachometer and speedometer – can not duplicate concern
when using paddle shift mode and seat warmers, the “revmatching” does not work when downshifting – can not duplicate concern
creaking / clicking noise – bulletin does not apply since brakes have already been replaced at least once, probably twice. Could not duplicate concern
loud popping/clicking when letting off accelerator – could not duplicate customer concern
power steering fluid leaking – no leaks in power steering system
l/f seatbelt does not retract – recommend to replace seatbelt, select edition does not cover supplemental restraint system components
They could not duplicate any of my concerns, despite the fact that they admitted to hearing the whirring sound on startup once but upon further investigation, could not find out anything? And they could not duplicate the problem with the touch screen, which is fine. But I have provided video footage of both of these issues happening.

If they can't hear the brakes creaking, they are deaf!

Now we wait to see how much the final bill is...

Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

WHEW. What a relief. No diagnostic charges.

Well, looks like I'm back to square one. But I really don't mind working through these issues myself. The car deserves TLC!

I think my next step are going to be to buy the grease and perform the TSB on the brakes myself. I'll not worry about the electrical issues for now. Then I'll take apart the steering wheel to inspect the clockspring mechanism and try to see what's going on in there.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

After doing some research, it appears the interior noise is more likely caused by a steering wheel horn contact that needs to be lubricated. I'm going to buy some dielectric grease and give that a shot!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
..might I ask where I could get a Mongoose and SDD?

Also, how deep into settings can it go? I'd really like to set my FM radio from US to Europe frequebcies
I bought mine here:

Mongoose JLR - Jaguar & Land Rover Dealer Level Diagnostics & Programming

It comes with a copy of SDD although people have had problems reading the CD they send. I managed to read mine but it took lots of grinding from my CD drive before it was successful. The software is available elsewhere though.

There is a whole thread dedicated to the subject here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/

You should can do anything that a dealer can do apart from a few routines that require a code to unlock them. I believe that you can use it to change the radio frequency of your audio unit.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
amcdonal86 (03-22-2013), Mike V (03-22-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

After doing some research, it appears the interior noise is more likely caused by a steering wheel horn contact that needs to be lubricated. I'm going to buy some dielectric grease and give that a shot!
You 're well taking care of your car.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

It appears the whirring sound from the power steering hasn't returned. However, what is a normal amount of noise from the power steering pump? If I listen hard, I can hear it from inside the car whenever I pass a wall or something that reflects sound back towards the car.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Interestingly, the heated seat/lazy downshift issue hadn't returned... until today, when I went on a long drive and used the heated seats for about and hour and fifteen minutes before suddenly the paddleshifting stopped revmatching downshifts.

I think my next courses of action with the car are:

1. Get charging system checked.
2. Replace battery with AGM battery.
3. Do TSB for brake greasing. Possibly replace brake caliper "R" plates at this time.

Hopefully this will solve all my problems, since the P/S doesn't seem to be a real issue (maybe it's just in my head?).

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully this will solve all my problems, since the P/S doesn't seem to be a real issue (maybe it's just in my head?).
Had the same problem with a fuel pump that broke. It started whining shortly before I replaced it. Afterwards I was hearing the noise all the time. Finally had to have a friend of mine who knew the car doublecheck it and yep, it was all in my mind. Problem is when you are particular about your car and you know its every vice is that sometimes you hear ghost issues... I would suggest if possible to get some other xkr owner to "listen" to your car.

/S

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

The funny thing was I was at Jaguar Alive today and I swear I heard a new XJ make the same exact sound that I could hear from even further away!

I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to keep an eye on the fluid level, but that's all!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

The other day the car did it without even turning on the seat warmers, so it seems the problem is getting worse. I really need to get the charging system checked. Can Advance Auto Parts do it accurately?

I am also going to order the correct AGM battery. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'm going to get some videos of the problem to document it because the dealer keeps saying they can't replicate it.

Actually I got some videos, but the one demonstrating the issue doesn't have audio because I must've hit the mute button when recording. Blast it!

Normal downshift:

Lazy downshift (no audio):

In the lazy downshift, I did not use the brakes at all. Notice when I hit the downshift lever to go into 1, the car rapidly slows as the RPMs gradually climb until the car is in first gear (at which point I accelerate because there is a car behind me).

Also, the strange whirring sound has come back. I thought it was just a cold weather thing, but it did it the other day when it was 55-60 degrees out. I'm wondering if it's a bearing for the supercharger or something that's going bad.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like that, too. Is this a repair I could attempt myself with simple hand tools, or would it require engine removal?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I just ordered the MT5-49/H8 AGM battery for my XKR for $330 or so. Should be here tomorrow.

I'll let you know what happens!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, I just learned today that many Mercedes actually have an auxiliary battery for accessories, etc.

I guess it's true that these cars have enormous electrical loads due to all the computers/accessories!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I just called them, and they called me back about 2 hours later. They said they have no updates on the car and that the tech is still working through (presumably diagnosing) all the issues I identified. I sure hope this doesn't mean I am going to get charged $900+ for diagnostics!

They also said that the SRS (airbag/seatbelt safety system) is not covered under Select Edition when I inquired about the seatbelt not retracting properly. How can this be? What the hell does this warranty cover?
Everything I've heard about your dealer suggests you should consider going to the next nearest instead. My local dealer isn't great but they've never charged me for diagnostics. That said I've never considered cheaping out and using rebuilt or non-OEM parts especially just to save $100. I've always thought that a rebuilt part would fail much quicker than a new one and you'd probably be looking at the same inconvenience and bill again fairly soon so the $100 saving actually costs you in the longer term. Did you happen to say/do anything that told them you might not get them to also do the work after they put the effort in to find the problem?

I'll check mine when I get home but the Select Edition warranty is pretty comprehensive, and I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't fully cover safety systems.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Everything I've heard about your dealer suggests you should consider going to the next nearest instead. My local dealer isn't great but they've never charged me for diagnostics. That said I've never considered cheaping out and using rebuilt or non-OEM parts especially just to save $100. I've always thought that a rebuilt part would fail much quicker than a new one and you'd probably be looking at the same inconvenience and bill again fairly soon so the $100 saving actually costs you in the longer term. Did you happen to say/do anything that told them you might not get them to also do the work after they put the effort in to find the problem?

I'll check mine when I get home but the Select Edition warranty is pretty comprehensive, and I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't fully cover safety systems.
As it turns out, I didn't get charged anything for diagnostics. However, their "diagnostics" didn't turn up with anything.

I had a Jag tech from this forum send me a list of Select Edition covered parts (a secret list, PM me if you want me to email it to you). Sure enough, SRS and safety belt items are not on the list.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Interesting, I just learned today that many Mercedes actually have an auxiliary battery for accessories, etc.

I guess it's true that these cars have enormous electrical loads due to all the computers/accessories!
lol,
I had actually thought about doing this using a lead acid motorcycle battery and an aux charging kit sold for RVs. Obviously I hope the AGM battery will be my better solution!

V

Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

With my car I can also hear power steering pump noise after cold startup. I accepted it as being normal.

It's logic that when the belt from the power steering is taken off, also the compressor doesn't run, as it's the same belt driving them. Still it can be a problem with the compressor pulley bearing or a belt tensioner bearing, as I suggested in one of your other threads. It could very well be the dealer couldn't diagnose this problem if they took off the belt with a hot engine. if the bearing is starting to go bad, the sound will only act up with a cold engine.

You can easily diagnose this yourself. Listen to it with your ear close to it. If that's difficult, put a screwdriver on the bearing housing and hold the other and of the screwdriver to your ear. If you hear scraping sounds, the bearing is bad.

The supercharger is probably programmed to run for a short time on cold startup, probably at certain (low) ambient temperatures. This explains why you sometimes might hear it and sometimes not.

On the problem of the locking touchscreen, I'd write down when it happens, date, time, cold or hot startup. Maybe this will eventually show a pattern, on which basis a conclusion can be made.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-02-2013)

Quick Reply: Thread about my XKR!