XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Thread about my XKR!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now I'm about to be fooled a third time.

I am going to take it to the dealer Friday to have them take a look at the stalk. I will also have them do a TCM clear for $130.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now I'm about to be fooled a third time.

I am going to take it to the dealer Friday to have them take a look at the stalk. I will also have them do a TCM clear for $130.

I am sorry that you legitimately feel this way and i fell it more than once too. Hopefully things will improve as we really rely on them. its too sad we do not have japanese cars reliability and freedom

Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Is there another dealer to which you can take the car?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
Is there another dealer to which you can take the car?
Rscultho, it is at 3 hours and he need a day off to do it.

how many miles you have on your xkr Rscultho, any issue with the transmission yourself?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
Rscultho, it is at 3 hours and he need a day off to do it.

how many miles you have on your xkr Rscultho, any issue with the transmission yourself?
I am about to hit 34,000 miles. I have absolutely no issues with my car. No creaks, no noises, no problems. No problems with my transmission.

I feel for you guys that have issues. We had a big time issue with the 98 VDP we had...we had an infamous timing chain tensioner fail which caused the timing chain to come off of a cam which caused the valves to stop moving which caused the piston to drive an intake valve into the Molybdenum coated No. 8 cylinder wall which resulted in a gouge in the cylinder wall. As some of you know, those engines with the Molybdenum coated cylinder walls could not be sleeved/repaired when something like that happened, and the engine had to be replaced. At the time this happened, the particular dealer to which we had the car towed had a piece of $hit as a service manager which tried to blame the problem on lack of oil changes. It was a widely known design flaw with the tensioners in that engine, but because of what that POS told Jag USA they would not take care of us and we had to put out the $7K to replace the engine.

I did not divorce Jaguar because of the person that screwed us - it was his fault and not Jag's; they relied on him and what he told them so I did not blame them...came to find out later that this person did this to others as well.

I will say that since then my experience with Jag dealers in the ATL area has been outstanding. Henry Green, the SA at Hennessy of Gwinnett, bends over backwards to take care of me/us. He has *never* said no to me, or in any way made any waves with me about anything. I can't say enough good things about him.

I guess we all have issues from time to time. Jag isn't perfect, but their quality has improved tremendously.

It's a shame that some people that are representatives of Jaguar do not present themselves and the Jaguar product properly.

I take the time to thank the people at the Jag dealers that take care of us through letters and communication to Jag USA in New Jersey. I would do the opposite if I were not treated fairly...and I have far more resources available to me now than in 1998.

Last edited by rscultho; 05-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

It was a widely known design flaw with the tensioners in that engine .
too bad jaguar did not assume the cost or the responsibility, i found help getting others viewing my own problems and i must say it helps. it ¡s tricky if it was a well known issue that a service manager could "do" in your boots, sorry i do not want offend, I guess you are pretty nice. Me too I lived a nightmare with the facelift 2007 in this country france, and I am still here with jag but I am different.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-28-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

I am about to hit 34,000 miles. I have absolutely no issues with my car. No creaks, no noises, no problems. No problems with my transmission.

I feel for you guys that have issues. We had a big time issue with the 98 VDP we had...we had an infamous timing chain tensioner fail which caused the timing chain to come off of a cam which caused the valves to stop moving which caused the piston to drive an intake valve into the Molybdenum coated No. 8 cylinder wall which resulted in a gouge in the cylinder wall. As some of you know, those engines with the Molybdenum coated cylinder walls could not be sleeved/repaired when something like that happened, and the engine had to be replaced. At the time this happened, the particular dealer to which we had the car towed had a piece of $hit as a service manager which tried to blame the problem on lack of oil changes. It was a widely known design flaw with the tensioners in that engine, but because of what that POS told Jag USA they would not take care of us and we had to put out the $7K to replace the engine.

I did not divorce Jaguar because of the person that screwed us - it was his fault and not Jag's; they relied on him and what he told them so I did not blame them...came to find out later that this person did this to others as well.

I will say that since then my experience with Jag dealers in the ATL area has been outstanding. Henry Green, the SA at Hennessy of Gwinnett, bends over backwards to take care of me/us. He has *never* said no to me, or in any way made any waves with me about anything. I can't say enough good things about him.

I guess we all have issues from time to time. Jag isn't perfect, but there quality has improved tremendously.

It's a shame that some people that are representatives of Jaguar do not present themselves and the Jaguar product properly.

I take the time to thank the people at the Jag dealers that take care of us through letters and communication to Jag USA in New Jersey. I would do the opposite if I were not treated fairly...and I have far more resources available to me now than in 1998.
It's impress me when people "absorb" the problem assume it and pays like that and stick to a brand. It is like these people that won't fight back. What a strength! i spent 4$k for a vdp 84 headgasket and the car loose his potency, i spent 4,5 kE on a 2003 kangooroo handlings, same result, they rarely seen this they agreed.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-28-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

It appears that the third time's the charm. They have agreed to replace the turn signal stalk under warranty. I am also paying them $130 to do the TCM reset, which is approximately the same price an indie shop was going to charge me.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Got the car back. Nice new turn signal stalk. Works great!

Also, the TCM reset was done. The car shifts totally different now. I wasn't given any instruction on how to drive for the next 300 miles, but I assume I'm supposed to just keep it in D and not use the paddle shifters. We'll see how long that lasts...

Hopefully it fixed my lazy downshift issue with the transmission.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Got the car back. Nice new turn signal stalk. Works great!

Also, the TCM reset was done. The car shifts totally different now. I wasn't given any instruction on how to drive for the next 300 miles, but I assume I'm supposed to just keep it in D and not use the paddle shifters. We'll see how long that lasts...

Hopefully it fixed my lazy downshift issue with the transmission.
Glad to hear it!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Anybody have any idea if I should refrain from using the paddle shifters?

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

I never heard this

Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

According to this thread, Brutal said:

Originally Posted by Brutal
dont use sport mode for 300 miles, clear TCM adaptations with hard battery reboot, and there a proceedure to drive involvine slow accels to different speeds followed by coasting to complete stops, and avoiding any aggressive driving and downshifting for a few hundred miles, etc...I dont remember it all and am at home. That was close to what we did before Jaguar changed what they wanted during any adaptation learn involving 2 techs, 1 driving and 1 monitoring IDS and shift points. It doesnt meen you HAVE to do it and always worked fine before. See what Lexus says on these since it is a Jatco trans.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ocedure-50142/

That particular comment was for a different transmission. However, I've seen similar advice for the ZF. So far I've been driving in "D" mode only and not using the paddle shifters. But I've only driven it maybe 30 miles since I got it back from the dealer.

Not using the paddle shifters is torture!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

This is the procedure I used after I reset the transmission adaptations on my XKR:

When reconfiguring and/or replacing a TCM and/or transmission on vehicles with a 6HP26 transmission, be sure to perform base adaptations.

• Vehicle must be in “normal” not “sports” mode, Switch A/C off.

•Transmission oil temperature must be above 60 deg C (use WDS/GDS to confirm transmission temperature status).

•Accelerate from rest with light throttle, the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts MUST occur with the engine speed between 1300-1800 rpm (normally aspirated cars). On supercharged cars the shifts MUST occur between 1000-1500 rpm.

•Continue to accelerate gently to 50 mph so that the transmission shifts into 5th gear (it is not necessary to engage 6th gear).

•Brake gently to a standstill and hold footbrake on for at least 15 seconds.

•This process should be carried out at least 5 times.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
amcdonal86 (06-02-2013), guy (06-12-2021)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Wouldn't the dealer have carried out this procedure as part of the TCM reflash?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Wouldn't the dealer have carried out this procedure as part of the TCM reflash?
think about all the things the dealer should do that they simply not do, I will do it and twice in regards to them.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 06-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I couldn't resist. I was on some twisties in rural Virginia today and I had to use the paddle shifters. It seems like the paddle shifting action is much better than before. I can't speak to whether my issue is solved with the "lazy downshift" as this was an intermittent problem that happened after long runs with the paddle shifting--time will tell.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Question about Jaguar dealership service records.

I recently acquired a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition with just 13,500 miles. According to CarFax and AutoCheck reports the XKR was serviced at the West Palm Beach Jaguar dealership service dept. If I take my car to the local Jaguar dealer in Texas, will the Texas dealer service dept be able to see what type of service (Oil Changes, etc) that was performed at the other Jaguar dealership via the VIN Number?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Question about Jaguar dealership service records.

I recently acquired a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition with just 13,500 miles. According to CarFax and AutoCheck reports the XKR was serviced at the West Palm Beach Jaguar dealership service dept. If I take my car to the local Jaguar dealer in Texas, will the Texas dealer service dept be able to see what type of service (Oil Changes, etc) that was performed at the other Jaguar dealership via the VIN Number?

Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to Jag and of course not. this is for mercedes cars not jaguars unfortunately, not even if the palm beach dealer found a rare to fix issue nobody will know about it...so the dealer in Texas will spend same time or more to diagnose and fix the same rare issue. Good Luck!

That's exactly what happenned to me while i traded my 08 xk for the 10. I thought they had access to all the files services etc...not at all. from spain to france there is no traces and it will have been the same from france to france....the vin number allow you to see what was changed during the warranty yes, and this is it.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 06-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.