XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Matt,

I understand why you want the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and if I had your car and drove it like I stole it I'd want the top-rated UHP tire, too. But that tire would be an overkill on my lesser-powered car and the way I drive.

Now don't misunderstand me - I'm not a sloooow driver; I wouldn't have an XKR if I didn't enjoy the sound of the exhaust during the occasional trip to the redline. Off the line my old 2/3 worn Michelins were scary - no grip, fishtailed and called up the traction nanny. That's not the case with the V12 Evos, but they're new and good traction is to be expected. Time will tell how well they will hold up.

Let us know when you get the Michelins and how they perform.

Stuart

Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds good. I hope to have them early next year. I just don't know if I want to wait until I wear these pzeros out or not. I really don't like them at all.

I also had a bad experience when I first purchased a 2006 911 S that had PS2's on it. The car felt like it was almost on ice in the rear. The problem was the car was 4 years old with only 6000 miles on it and the tires were hard as rocks. The tread was fine but they were useless. Replaced them with Yokohama AD08's and it was night and day.

Take care Stuart!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

I also put the Hankook Ventus V12's Evo K110 on my XKR just last week. Price was not a consideration. I have used Hankooks on my Formula race cars with great results.

In addition in reviews and comparative tests of 8 different brands, the only tire rating/ranking higher than the Hankook Ventus V12 was the Dunlap Tire. The Ventus V12 beat out the Michelin tires.

As stated before, the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo is an under estimated tire.

However to each his own on tire selection. I have no regrets buying this brand or tire type. Cost is no object, but the Ventus V12's did provide good value for my own individual usage and driving habits.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I tried a set of hankook ventus v12's on my Porsche 911 turbo and they were very bad. Not worth the money saved. However, they might perform better on the jag as the handling is probably not as sensitive as the Porsches. My next set of tires will be Michelin PSS when my Pirelli's are done
I had them install a set of the V12's on the new rims I bought for my 535i and I thought they were the worst tires I've ever had on any car in the 25 years I've been driving. They made the car feel like a wobbly old shopping cart. Like everyone else, I went with them because of the great reviews but that wasn't my experience at all.

The sidewalls felt soft and mushy at any psi and none of the shops I tried (including the BMW dealer) could balance them properly. Out of a total of 9 different tires, not one passed spec for a Road Force Balance. After having the first set replaced under warranty and another of the rears replaced under warranty, we still couldn't get them to balance properly (had them re-balanced at least 8 times in 3 months). I took them off and replaced them with Michelin Pilot A/S and all of the problems went away.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
In addition in reviews and comparative tests of 8 different brands, the only tire rating/ranking higher than the Hankook Ventus V12 was the Dunlap Tire. The Ventus V12 beat out the Michelin tires.

As stated before, the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo is an under estimated tire.
Do you happen to have a link to this test? I an unfamiliar with any recent testing that shows the v12 is superior to the PSS.

Here is a recent test with the PSS ranked number one by car and driver.

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver

Also ranked number one at tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I've been researching tires lately and there are a lot of threads if you google v12 vs. pilot super sport. Tons of opinions but from what I am reading, one tire is the overwhelming favorite and it isn't the v12.

Thanks for the link. Best regards.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Is this the test, from June 2009?

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver

If so, the Pilot Super Sports weren't even out yet. The Michelin used as the benchmark was the ps2. That is a different tire then the one we have been discussing in this thread.

I'm not trying to say the v12 is at all a bad tire. It's probably one of or maybe the best value out there. But if cost is not a consideration, I am not sold that they are better than the PSS from what I have seen and read.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 12-04-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Considering that we go through tires fairly quickly, and they certainly are not inexpensive, I don't think (depending on driving styles) there is anything wrong with going with the Hankooks. I drove a CPO XK that just had a crispy set of Hankooks installed, and it drove really well and handled fine. After talking with a seasoned service writer at Jaguar, he too told me that Hankooks are the tire of choice for XK tire replacement. Personally, I drive very little and I can milk more time out of any set of tires, but I might very well consider going the Hankook route when the time comes. I do remember seeing them on the few XKs I see parked in my area.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Is this the test, from June 2009?

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver

If so, the Pilot Super Sports weren't even out yet. The Michelin used as the benchmark was the ps2. That is a different tire then the one we have been discussing in this thread.

I'm not trying to say the v12 is at all a bad tire. It's probably one of or maybe the best value out there. But if cost is not a consideration, I am not sold that they are better than the PSS from what I have seen and read.
^ Exactly.... And they didn't include the Bridgestone S-04s either (yet alone the awesome RE-11's), only the lower rated 760's.
Looking at that article, it seems they chose every tire from a lower class, and put the Hankooks up against them for some "great" ratings.... Had they compared them to equal tires from each brand, Hankooks would not shine as brightly... A strangely convenient choice of the competition, don't you think?