XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire pressure monitor issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitor issue

A couple of weeks ago, I started getting tire pressure warning messages for the front passenger side tire. I checked the pressure and it was fine, if anything, a couple of p.s.i. high, so I let a couple of pounds out, and the warning disappeared. It re-appeared a couple of times over the past couple weeks, but would almost immediately disappear. Yesterday and today, the warnings have come back and then disappear after a minute or two, but each time it shows a different tire and sometimes two at a time. Again, I checked air pressure and all tires were fine. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Also, I replaced 2 rear tires about three weeks ago, could there be any relationship? Will a hard reset, reset the module? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
A couple of weeks ago, I started getting tire pressure warning messages for the front passenger side tire. I checked the pressure and it was fine, if anything, a couple of p.s.i. high, so I let a couple of pounds out, and the warning disappeared. It re-appeared a couple of times over the past couple weeks, but would almost immediately disappear. Yesterday and today, the warnings have come back and then disappear after a minute or two, but each time it shows a different tire and sometimes two at a time. Again, I checked air pressure and all tires were fine. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Also, I replaced 2 rear tires about three weeks ago, could there be any relationship? Will a hard reset, reset the module? Any help would be appreciated.
I am getting an intermittent warning on the dash. The tire light blinks for about 15 to 20 seconds then goes solid. I have never gotten a warning signifying any particular TPMS sensor might be bad. The TPMS were all replaced as new about 15 months ago.

It is annoying to see this light blink then go solid. Then there are times when I don't get the warning light for several weeks.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday, the warning lights went on and off about every ten minutes throughout the day, very annoying! I will try and get it checked out before the end of the week and see what's causing it to happen.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,348 Posts

There was an earlier thread, where the poster's issue was tracked down to wires from a sensor receiver being poorly routed, such that they were pinched and rubbing on other parts, resulting in a short circuit.
Sounds like maybe you have the same issue? Intermittent shorting out of a sensor receiver?

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
There was an earlier thread, where the poster's issue was tracked down to wires from a sensor receiver being poorly routed, such that they were pinched and rubbing on other parts, resulting in a short circuit.
Sounds like maybe you have the same issue? Intermittent shorting out of a sensor receiver?
In my individual case, once the new TPMS were installed with a new set of tires my problem began.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

richzak,
I found some interesting information on the same type of faults and warnings on an earlier set of posts on the XF forum. My problem is described exactly but there seems to be some varying discussion about how to fix. Some said a reflash and computer update fixed the problem, others replaced the TPMS module.

I will take it in and see what the local dealer has to say.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-140440/page2/

Old 08-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
richzak,
I found some interesting information on the same type of faults and warnings on an earlier set of posts on the XF forum. My problem is described exactly but there seems to be some varying discussion about how to fix. Some said a reflash and computer update fixed the problem, others replaced the TPMS module.

I will take it in and see what the local dealer has to say.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-140440/page2/
Yes, I have seen those posts & threads. I took my 2009 Jaguar XKR for an oil change today and the TPMS warning light went off after driving for about 20 minutes. Now I have see how long it stays off.

All I know is, it's annoying.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Same issue here, sometimes weeks or months between incidents. Sometimes it's only lasted one drive cycle.

A new battery seemed to solve it for a long time, but my issues have started again and the battery is only a few months old now.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I have had the same issue off and on for at lest the last year. I have had the dealer look at it multiple times. Now I just live with it. It is extremely annoying. My sequence usually is the following; TPMS not functioning - no tire/wheel identified. then is replaced by a warning for the right front tire/wheel which can stay on anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes, then goes away and will come back, tc.,etc., etc. I would just like to unhook the whole thing. But the dealer says that that's impossible because of the various computer interconnections.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

funny timing with this thread, I just went though a similar thing with my '15, low tire pressure alert and the actual pressure is fine. The dealer suggested I over-inflate, then let out air to spec, which worked, this time. Can't wait to see what the morning brings! And right, having the alert icon on when you know things are OK is really annoying.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

So I just got home (10pm west coast) after a very long day of work, and this is what happened today with the warnings. Left about 8am this morning and drove to downtown L.A. from the valley, about 15 miles and an hour drive in traffic, ABSOLUTELY NO WARNINGS the whole way. I park the car for about 20-25 minutes while I picked something up, got back in the car, started it up, and immediately there is a warning for the right front tire. It went off after a couple of minutes and then came back after about 5 minutes, and then went away. Drove out to Palos Verdes, about another 45 minutes, no warnings. Back to the valley and all over the valley in the afternoon and evening, no warnings. Yesterday, every ten minutes all day long, today twice in the morning and nothing afterwards. Just bizarre!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Similar issue here on my 07 xkr, when I picked up after spooling up some Pirelli's the tire shop indicated that the rear tpm's were going off and it would reset after 50 miles or so. 500 miles later still flashing between the two rears. I told them to only put 29 pounds in the rear tires to improve tire wear and figured the whole time that was why they were popping off. Finally got tired of them flashing so I pumped them up to 33 lbs and after 200 miles so far it is happy. Not trying to hi-jack the thread but can they be reset to accept 29lbs?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

After over-pressuring my tires yesterday after the 1st alert, and then letting air out to spec, the alert cleared…until today. Started out fine, 90 miles no alert, parked for about 2 hours and the alert returned upon restart, and stayed on. WTF. Must be some virus amongst us!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Drove all day long today and no warnings for the first time in a week, go figure?!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Again today, no warnings, I'm mystified. It is 110F in the San Fernando Valley today, could the increased heat have raised the tire pressure above the 40psi that I had them on and solved the problem? (as some in the XF forum have suggested overinflating the tires to solve the problem).

Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I've been having this same problem for about a month now. I checked the wire-pinch bumper area and all was well. I also swapped the front two antennas and the Not Monitored stayed at the front-right. Weird, I thought. About a week later the Tire Pressure System Inop light came on. So anyway, I got rid of the rubbish Michelins two days ago and bought four Hankook Ventus Evo2 K120s and had the senders replaced. Took a 75 mile excursion and while driving the Left Not Monitored light came on, went off, then the RIGHT Not Monitored came on along with the System Inop light. GRRR!!!!
I had bought three used Land Rover antennas off eBay for $10 Just In Case, so I changed the Right Front Antenna and drove about 12 miles..... and...... all the lights went off. Turned off the Jag and let it sit for awhile before trying again. No Lights! Drove for another 10 or so miles with nothing bad and parked in the garage. Went back out a couple hours later and fired 'er up and STILL no lights.
HOPEFULLY this will have worked. A bit of work, but only $3.33 with free shipping. Two spare antennas.
Crossing my fingers................

Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Deleted Post.........

Last edited by richzak; 08-14-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:48 PM

CeeJay

What Michelins were you running and not happy with? Just curious...

Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGreco
CeeJay

What Michelins were you running and not happy with? Just curious...
Pilot Super Sport. Yech, that made my tongue taste nasty for a minute.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, so it's now been 4 full days since I've had any tire pressure warnings. I've done nothing to the tires since this all started. But whatever it was has seemed to work itself out. Having said that, other odd things have happened over the last couple of days. On several occasions, I have had the "key fob not recognized" warning with instructions to insert into the holder in the arm rest. My car would not start one morning, and I had to use my portable battery charger to get it to turn over. The battery is less than 6 months old, and it hasn't happened again. And by the way, each time I attempted to start the car when the battery was dead, the windshield wipers went on and stayed on until the next time I tried starting it. I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitor issue