XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire pressure monitor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Off-topic per thread title, but since it has been mentioned, I'll comment on the parking sensors. Once every few months one of my parking sensors will go full on, like bumping into something is imminent, when in reality I'm clear of obstacles. I just go out and do a push & wipe with my thumb on the offending sensor and that takes care of it.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I tried that without any change, but on a downslope reverse meaning the front sensor is facing upwards it goes away. It must be aimed inside incorrectly or detached.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitor issue

Funny enough this week my started going haywire time to upgrade to f type

Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my XF 2009 Premium Luxury LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNINGS and the pression on all my tires are OK.

I found the problem could be resolved with the instruction in the Service Bulletin No.: JTB-00165 (NHTSA ID Number: 10033136) but i haven't find the instruction of this bulletin, may be only the mecanic of the dealer have it.

Could you advise me where i could find the instruction of this bulletin.

thank you

Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

JTB00165 - Tire Valve Stem Damage During Manual Tire Pressure Checking or Low Tire Pressure Warnings Illuminated

On vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system, the valve stem may break during manual tire pressure checking or inflation, due to excessive corrosion. This can occur when either the valve cap is removed or an airline is attached, the fracture will result in a sudden and complete loss of the air pressure in the tire. As a consequence it will not be possible to refill the tire with air; the Low Tire Pressure Warning lamp will be illuminated and associated instrument cluster low pressure messages will be displayed. No DTC's or system faults will be logged, unless the vehicle is driven with the spare or other non-TPMS wheel fitted.

Cause: Material specification - a revised valve is now available.Suggested Customer Concern Code - A40.

In the event of a valve stem failure always replace all four low tire pressure sensors (five, if the vehicle has a full size spare fitted with a low tire pressure sensor valve).

Due to significantly accelerated corrosion Jaguar engineering do not recommend the fitment of metal dust caps or non-approved valve cores to vehicles equipped with TPMS, plastic dust caps are the only approved fitment. Returned parts will only be accepted if in otherwise good condition with approved dust caps and valve cores fitted. Warranty claims may be rejected on components returned with non-approved parts fitted.

Action: Should a customer express concern identify the fault, ensuring the issue is due to corrosion and not customer abuse, then install a full vehicle set of new low tire pressure sensors (see TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 204-04). This TSB does not cover the serviceable valve stem nut, which should be serviced with the seal and core at each tire change

Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

So three days ago, I decided to drop the pressure in my tires a couple (literally 2 lbs psi) of pounds since my TPMS warnings had subsided. Since I was at 40-41 lbs. in each tire, I felt it was "safe" to do so and wouldn't activate any warnings at 38-39lbs. Wrong! Almost immediately warnings appeared and stayed on virtually the whole time for all three days. This morning I added 2lbs. back into each tire, warnings disappeared as soon as I did it, and stayed off all day.

Drives me nuts!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
So three days ago, I decided to drop the pressure in my tires a couple (literally 2 lbs psi) of pounds since my TPMS warnings had subsided. Since I was at 40-41 lbs. in each tire, I felt it was "safe" to do so and wouldn't activate any warnings at 38-39lbs. Wrong! Almost immediately warnings appeared and stayed on virtually the whole time for all three days. This morning I added 2lbs. back into each tire, warnings disappeared as soon as I did it, and stayed off all day.

Drives me nuts!
40psi ?? Is this what you store the car at or the normal driving pressures. Seems very high and would result in center tire wear. What is the recommended inflation pressure listed on the door jam. My 2012 on 20" lists 33psi front and 36 psi rear. If I change tire pressures I also reset the TPMS . As the cold starts to come here in the NE we lose 3-4 psi so I usually needs to reset once a month until the cold temps stabilize.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

I don't want them at 40psi but since this whole ordeal started about 6 weeks ago, anytime the pressure drops below that, I get the warnings. The tire ratings say maximum psi is 50lbs, so I'm well below that. What did you mean by "resetting the TPMS?" In my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, you could actually reset the TPMS, but is there such a feature on our cars?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I agree with Jagtoes that running above stated tire pressure causes undue center tire wear, but assume he meant the reset was possible removing the fuse? That fuse is between the rear seats, can't rightly recall the exact one. I've done the same thing, didn't seem to help.
Our cars do not have a "Reset", per se, but self-learn during an uninterrupted drive of around 26 miles, stop-and-go included as long as no stop is longer than (I think) five minutes, and the ignition is NOT turned off.
Discount just installed a new TPMS sensor in my front-right where I've had the TIRE NOT MONITORED for a couple months (got it for free when I bought new Hankooks after my POS Michelin PSSs shredded). I haven't done the 26 miles yet, so there's that....... and I wait.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I won't take a $115,000 car and "over-inflate". That's just too ghetto.

So after inflating to 40psi then deflating slowly over a week from 40 psi to 34 psi I have about 300+ miles on the clock and all is well. Turns out the idea was not too ghetto after all.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 10-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Based on what I've read regarding the Jaguar reset the process was inflate the tires (when cold) to the required tire pressure on the door post. Then drive the car at highway speeds for 15 minutes but not under 15 mph and the system will reset. The only other issue is if you have a spare tire with a TPMS in it you need to get the system reset with someone who has the OBDII program tool or the dealer or buy your own TPMS reset meter. Funny thing is if you search the inter net under reset TPMS you will fing sites who deal with this problem.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
So after inflating to 40psi then deflating slowly over a week from 40 psi to 34 psi I have about 300+ miles on the clock and all is well. Turns out the idea was not too ghetto after all.
Leaving them at 40 would be ghetto. Using a higher pressure to troubleshoot a problem is not.
I'm glad it worked out for ya.
Me, I had Discount Tires finally put in a new sensor yesterday (for free, since I had just bought some Hankooks when my crap Michelins died at 3,000 miles) and the fault went away earlier today.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Yamon, wish it was this easy all the time.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Today, I replaced my 5-year-old AC Delco 93PS battery (Installed 1/04/2011) in my 2009 Jaguar Portfolio Edition convertible. While the battery was still strong, I felt best to replace it. I have kept the battery connected to a CTEK3300 daily since ownership.

I did so with an Interstate Megatron 49/H8 6 year battery. Perfect fit.

I also inflated the tires both front and rear to 38 pounds vs the recommended 33 pounds. I have 20" wheels.

After completing the inflation to these levels, I took the XKR for a drive and within 5 to 8 minutes driving over 15 MPH, the TPMS light went out and has not come back on.

I am a happy camper to today, but may be sad tomorrow. Time will tell if I get the TPMS light on again.

My thought is the tires have to be over inflated for the TPMS to kick in so the XKR can read the pressures correctly. I am not sure how these TPMS in the wheel is calibrated, but over inflating seemed to have resolved my light from coming back on. Now I am 100% sure the sensors in the tires/wheels are working 100%.

Since the 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition only has 17,103 miles, I found it hard to believe that there was a system fault or failure with the equipment. The much colder weather here in NM has condensed the tire pressures in all 5 of our vehicles. Today was a day to check pressures in all vehicles, get out the air compressor and inflate past the recommended tire pressures.

Mission completed with 100% success.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Richard,
I am still getting an occasional tire pressure warning, but far fewer. However, last week, when I tried to drop the air pressure just 2psi from 40 to 38psi, the warnings stayed on virtually all the time for 2 days until I refilled to 40psi. The warnings have gone away again. The ride is a bit harder, but barely noticeable, and I don't have to look at that flashing warning all day.

Finally, after nearly 2 months of front driver's side parking aid sensor constantly beeping any time the car was in reverse, showing that I'd already hit something, today, it functioned properly. I have no clue why, and I doubt it will stay that way, but it was such a pleasure not having to hear that annoying tone or having to manually turn off the parking aid switch on the upper console. The only thing that's changed today is that it was approximately 110F in the San Fernando Valley, probably 10-12 degrees warmer than usual.

These electronic glitches drive me nuts!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Richard,
I am still getting an occasional tire pressure warning, but far fewer. However, last week, when I tried to drop the air pressure just 2psi from 40 to 38psi, the warnings stayed on virtually all the time for 2 days until I refilled to 40psi. The warnings have gone away again. The ride is a bit harder, but barely noticeable, and I don't have to look at that flashing warning all day.

Finally, after nearly 2 months of front driver's side parking aid sensor constantly beeping any time the car was in reverse, showing that I'd already hit something, today, it functioned properly. I have no clue why, and I doubt it will stay that way, but it was such a pleasure not having to hear that annoying tone or having to manually turn off the parking aid switch on the upper console. The only thing that's changed today is that it was approximately 110F in the San Fernando Valley, probably 10-12 degrees warmer than usual.

These electronic glitches drive me nuts!
Tberg:

As stated in my post above, I am not sure of the electronics that go into producing the tire pressure sensors inside the wheel. I am not sure at what level of pressure makes them get activated to send the signal to the module.

Perhaps Jaguar Forum member White XKR (Steve) who is on of the electronic geniuses here might know.

I agree on the frustration, hopefully mine is resolved, but not sure.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

A few months ago when I had to get 2 new rear tires I bought them into a tire dealer . I was concerned about the TPMS so I asked and made sure that the changer would not damage them during the dismount and remount of the new tires. I bought in the loose wheels as 1 had a flat and I had to remove them in my garage. These are the rear 20" wheels. The tire guy did a great job and after he mounted and balanced them I had him put 36 psi in them. Took them home and put them on the car and rechecked the tire pressure . I took the car out and no warnings came up. By the way when I got the flat and the pressure dropped to around 28 psi it triggered my low pressure warning. So I knew the system was working even though I was pissed because I got a flat.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 100 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm looking at a set of wheels that have dunlops already mounted but no sensors are installed.
If I purchase and install them, will I be getting sensor warnings on the dash?

Old 12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marco75
I'm looking at a set of wheels that have dunlops already mounted but no sensors are installed.
The short answer is yes.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marco75
Make sure you purchase the correct frequency of the TPMS as there are 2 frequencies for Jaguar. You need the 315Mhz sensors.

The Jaguar should relearn the new TPM sensors. You drive the car for more than 15 to 20MPH for 15 minutes and the Jaguar telemetry should pick up the new TPM sensors.

But as seen from this thread numerous Jaguar XK/XKR owners have been experiencing TPMS warning signals on the dash. This can certainly drove an owner crazy after a period of time.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitor issue