XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensors

11 year old XK / 55k, a low tire warning flashed on my screen, took it to the local tire store for tire check, psi's were right where the were suppose to be.
Figured while I was there I may as well have all the TMPS changed. $60 each, took just a few minutes. Told me to drive at least 20 minutes to reset.
Didn't work, read the Jag. book and it said to drive 18mph for 20 minutes, people in my Sub must as thought I was nuts going around the block so many times.
(you know how hard it is to keep it around 18mph for that long )
Stopped by my car shop that did my pan drop change a few weeks ago, the did what they called a "hard reset" and said the front left sensor was not registering correct, but they fixed it, they said drive it 20 min. at a constant speed for reset, didn't work.
Took it back to the tire store, told them what the shop said and they gave me 4 new different sensors by another mfg'g. They also said the did a test showing all sensors were set correct and to drive it for 20 min. with min. speed of 30 mph, didn't work, would get two different notices, one the gold triangle saying all tires were low, the the car symbol showing both front tires low.
So, it's not the tire sensors,( both tire store and shop said they were the correct frequency) is there a receiver that's not functioning correct ? Is it a unit, or part of the computer system, (it's not a battery issue as my new battery shows 100%)
Next stop is a 100 mile trip to my nearest Jag Dealer, any help ?
PS: Did a search on this site and it seems others have had the same problem, but non showed a good fix. maybe the dealer is the best option.

Last edited by jbmi; 07-10-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Welcome to XK and TPMS faults.
I've had my TPMS fault now for about a year, replaced everything possible (modules, initiators, sensors, receiver) and it still doesn't work.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:30 AM

Well that's encouraging , stay turned, I'll let you know how I make out.
Ya gota love those Jag's.

Last edited by jbmi; 07-10-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:35 PM

Question, If I just remove the sensors and replace them with ordinary valve stems, would this solve the problem, or would the receiver have to be eliminated also.?
The first half dozen cars I've owned never had tire sensors, you knew if your tires were low just by observation.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Brand new TPMS sensors can be DOA if they've been sitting on a distributor's or retailer's shelf for over 7 years.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Try over inflating your tires to 40 lbs psi. then do the driving routine. if that works then take the psi down to the prescribed level and see what happens. This has worked for several Forum members that were having the same problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
DGL (07-16-2021), Sean W (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:17 PM
Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts

From what I have read using non-Jaguar sensors can be problematic, if the car was fine before you received a warning on your old original sensors due to failing batteries id say the car is just not happy with them.
I am sure if you take it to the dealer they will want to put OEM in there.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't OEM equal VDO in this case?

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
Question, If I just remove the sensors and replace them with ordinary valve stems, would this solve the problem, or would the receiver have to be eliminated also.?
The first half dozen cars I've owned never had tire sensors, you knew if your tires were low just by observation.
No it won't solve the problem. You need SDD to disable TPMS and it would have to be a hacked version I believe as it's not legal (at least in the US) so I doubt Jaguar gives access to disable. It would be a change in CCF file from TPMS yes to no IIRC.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

There's not much to the system but the manual warns "Note: Non-approved accessories may interfere with the system. If this occurs, TYRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT is displayed in the message centre."

You'll want to make sure you don't have any aftermarket BT or wifi devices connected and follow Ralph's advice to over inflate and see if those approaches resolve the problem.
OEM is Siemens VDO as Tee Jay notes - recommended by Jaguar.

There are 4 different AMBER messages regarding the TPMS. They are all listed in the owners manual. Can you be specific as to which fault is displaying?
CHECK TYRE PRESSURE
CHECK ALL TYRE PRESSURES
TYRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT
TYRE NOT MONITORED

Also does the spare come fitted with TPMS? I think it did at one time on some MY's?

Old 07-10-2021, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Doesn't OEM equal VDO in this case?
Attached is a pic of 1 of the 4 new sensors I installed earlier this year. They were purchased from JLR and apart from the "re-learn" process of about 50 miles I've had zero issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by rfarmery:
guy (07-11-2021), ralphwg (07-17-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

So then Yes... VDO.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
So then Yes... VDO.
You learn something everyday, I thought VDO was its own brand....
Oddly enough my car is an early 07 and requires a different sensor than the later car.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
No it won't solve the problem. You need SDD to disable TPMS and it would have to be a hacked version I believe as it's not legal (at least in the US) so I doubt Jaguar gives access to disable. It would be a change in CCF file from TPMS yes to no IIRC.
well it's not illegal per se, but driving it that way on public roads may be, and giving it a passing inspection definitely is in several states (maybe all of them by now, i don't know).

also, a shop or dealer cannot legally remove or disable the system, but of course if they fail to repair the vehicle they can return the car to you the way it was. another grey area.

i don't know anything about needing a hacked version to do it. i would think the function would be there since there are several contexts in which disabling it is perfectly legal.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbmi
Well that's encouraging , stay turned, I'll let you know how I make out.
Ya gota love those Jag's.
I've had my 2010 XK for 3 yrs. now, and basically the same problems. Had them replaced at Discount Tire, and they couldn't get them to communicate with the Jag computer, so they said "no charge". Can't remember the exact #, but the Jag dealer wanted too much, so I just check and keep the pressures correct, and disregard the warning light.
P.S. I've wondered, if the TP light is on, and say the water pump goes out, would that light over rule and come on???
Dennis

Old 07-15-2021, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DoubleD
P.S. I've wondered, if the TP light is on, and say the water pump goes out, would that light over rule and come on???
Dennis
The Dash Warnings cycle through each warning, about two seconds per warning.
ALSO, why have the TP warning displayed on the dash center screen?
On the TSD, on the bottom and partly right of center there is a Triangle. Touch that triangle and then CLEAR WARNING. The center display warning will go away, whichever one was lit when you pushed the triangle.
Do this again for every warning you have/want gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
1 of 19 (07-16-2021), Boga (07-19-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:30 PM

Well it took 2 weeks and a 200 mile highway trip for the system to recognize my new TPS.
I had just about given up but thought one more try, inflated all the tires to 40 psi then did my 200 miles at highway speeds, it took the second 100 miles for the display to disappear.
Thanks "ralphwg" for the suggestions.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Give it a minute...

Let us know about it in another few months or so.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors

As Cee Jay says - 'Welcome to the TPMS sensor fault' curriculum. Have had this same problem with my 2010 XK Base Convertible for the past two and half years. Had Direct Tire install new sensors THREE times - aftermarket sensors did not do ANYTHING to fix problem - now have OEM Continental VDO sensors - still have the problem - - but less often. There are ONLY two solutions - run your tires at 40psi, or REPLACE the TPMS Module and have it re-programmed. New module may be defective as well.
My latest dealer quote from upper South Carolina was $288 for Module - and $785 for installation and re-programming. Gonna just let this Jaguar known defect run - annoying but it is NOT effecting the operation of the vehicle. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Boga (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:10 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

such good quality were these tpms valves that they didn’t charge for them at a discount tire shop… and they don’t work…. hmmm.

Originally Posted by DoubleD
I've had my 2010 XK for 3 yrs. now, and basically the same problems. Had them replaced at Discount Tire, and they couldn't get them to communicate with the Jag computer, so they said "no charge". Can't remember the exact #, but the Jag dealer wanted too much, so I just check and keep the pressures correct, and disregard the warning light.
Dennis

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors