XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire pressure warning jumping tire to tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Tire pressure warning jumping tire to tire

This past week, on my 07 XK coupe, the low tire pressure warning has come on and intermittently will jump around to all 4 tires randomly, then go off. I checked and double checked the pressures today, all are where they should be. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-15-2023, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 574 Likes on 368 Posts

Probably the TPMS module - let one tire down by about 8 psi to see if will stay on that wheel.on a drive around the block.

The following users liked this post:
tmich (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 720 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Smonop
This past week, on my 07 XK coupe, the low tire pressure warning has come on and intermittently will jump around to all 4 tires randomly, then go off. I checked and double checked the pressures today, all are where they should be. Any ideas? Thanks!
tpms is first thought but....I bet the battery (car) is low or at least low'ish'. I fought the dance for months until I started regularly using my ctek.
That did solve my little light show.
WJ

Cee Jay (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

TPMS module dying

Old 03-16-2023, 01:09 PM
Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the same thing. Went to Discount tire and confirmed all the in-tire sensors were working and they "reset" them. I drove 30+ miles with it still happening pretty much the whole time, then shut the car off and when I restarted, it appeared to clear the issue. It happens much less now, but still intermittently. I do need to get the battery checked, as I have no idea how old it is, before looking into buying any Module or receiver parts. I haven't noticed any other "low battery symptoms", but it's relatively easy to have it checked.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:14 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Reading this forum for years and have concluded that any of the reasons noted above could be the problem. For me, the fix was to have the Jaguar dealer replace the TPMS module which had gone bad.

Deabs (03-19-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by carealtor
Reading this forum for years and have concluded that any of the reasons noted above could be the problem. For me, the fix was to have the Jaguar dealer replace the TPMS module which had gone bad.

My first thought was battery too... I keep it on a trickle charger and don't remember if I replaced the battery when I purchased the car a couple summers ago... ugh. I keep records, I need to check on it.

Where is the TPMS module located? We're not talking about the wheel sensors rights? I goo'd up one of those a few months ago lubricating bushings to get rid of an annoying squeak, that set off the ABS failure light until I cleaned the sensors off. 🙄

Old 03-17-2023, 12:35 PM
Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

The module is behind the auxiliary junction box behind the rear seats.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:56 PM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts

I've fought this issue for two years, two new sets of TMP, new Ctek, only thing that worked was to overinflate tires by 5 lb's.
This spring when I bring it out of storage I've found a local garage the specializes in Foreign Cars and they will turn the system off.
Drove the first 55 years without the damn warning, guess I can do it today.

The following 3 users liked this post by jbmi:
arenaej (03-17-2023), ralphwg (03-18-2023), Smonop (03-18-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 09:05 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Update to TPMS module

My X150 has done the same for about a year. Never had any fault codes for TPMS but intermittent "check tire pressure" messages and the TPMS warning lamp would come on steady but not flashing (the amber exclamation point inside tire). The false low tire pressure messages would randomly rotate around all four tires for approximately one minute then disappear.

Troubleshooting included over inflating, deflating to test appropriate indication, had tire shop scan all four sensors in wheels to confirm sensor battery levels, charged battery, and even replaced battery. Yesterday I took it to the JLR dealer for diagnostic. Technician verified correct tire pressures and sensors broadcasting with warning lamp and tire pressure messages. Initially he recommended replacing all four TPMS sensors with "factory" sensors. Service representative asked me if they were OEM sensors?

Thankfully a "team leader" suspected the TPMS module may be jammed or confused so they performed a hard reset and an UPDATE to module. Amazingly they realized it was communicating correctly before replacing any wheel sensors!! Charged me for diagnostic service only. So far so good. Drove it for two hours yesterday without any tire pressure warnings.

Last edited by Deabs; 03-22-2023 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Oooops
The following 2 users liked this post by Deabs:
Boga (03-29-2023), kj07xk (03-22-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Deabs
My X150 has done the same for about a year. Never had any fault codes for TPMS but intermittent "check tire pressure" messages and the TPMS warning lamp would come on steady but not flashing (the amber exclamation point inside tire). The false low tire pressure messages would randomly rotate around all four tires for approximately one minute then disappear.
Interesting.... I brought the car into my Indy guy, he connected the OBD and it read that the TPMS connection is active. When you say "hard reset" are you speaking of the ole "touch the negative and positive poles together?" Also, how was an update performed if the module was working?

Old 07-07-2023, 08:49 PM

Update - Last week I replaced the TPMS sensors since the cost wasn't prohibitive. Scan tool indicates they're active and recognized. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. I purchased a new module from an Jaguar Dealership online, the price was $186 I believe. I removed the rear seats and installed the new module, but the TPMS fault light came on. Phoned my local Jag dealership, service manager states that the module needs to be programed and they have the software. That will be my next step.

McJag222 (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:51 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Update - Last week I replaced the TPMS sensors since the cost wasn't prohibitive. Scan tool indicates they're active and recognized. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. I purchased a new module from a Jaguar Dealership online, the price was $186 I believe. I removed the rear seats and installed the new module, but the TPMS fault light came on. Phoned my local Jag dealership, service manager states that the module needs to be programed and they have the software. That will be my next step.
I replaced mine myself. No programming was needed if I'm not mistaken. Anyway - swap it. If it doesn't work you will go for programming (but everything else will still work normally). But is should work...

Old 07-08-2023, 08:00 AM
Default Still getting Check Tire Pressure warnings

Originally Posted by Deabs

Troubleshooting included over inflating, deflating to test appropriate indication, had tire shop scan all four sensors in wheels to confirm sensor battery levels, charged battery, and even replaced battery. Yesterday I took it to the JLR dealer for diagnostic. Technician verified correct tire pressures and sensors broadcasting with warning lamp and tire pressure messages. Initially he recommended replacing all four TPMS sensors with "factory" sensors. Service representative asked me if they were OEM sensors?

Thankfully a "team leader" suspected the TPMS module may be jammed or confused so they performed a hard reset and an UPDATE to module. Amazingly they realized it was communicating correctly before replacing any wheel sensors!! Charged me for diagnostic service only. So far so good. Drove it for two hours yesterday without any tire pressure warnings.
After the dealer updating my TPMS module I thought my problem was solved. Then I checked the tire pressure before taking a trip and discovered that all four tires had forty PSI or greater. The dealer had over inflated all four of my tires. Shocking!! So I set the pressures correctly and the tire pressure warning returned.

I pulled the fuse F2 5A tan and turned car on. (Rear seat compartment fuse box). Then turned car off and replaced the fuse to reset the TPMS module. Still had tire pressure warnings.

I've ordered and received a TPMS control module but haven't replaced it yet.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:25 AM
Default Programming a new TPMS control module

Update - Last week I replaced the TPMS sensors since the cost wasn't prohibitive. Scan tool indicates they're active and recognized. Unfortunately the problem was not solved. I purchased a new module from an Jaguar Dealership online, the price was $186 I believe. I removed the rear seats and installed the new module, but the TPMS fault light came on. Phoned my local Jag dealership, service manager states that the module needs to be programed and they have the software. That will be my next step.
Smonop, thanks for your update and sharing info on this issue. I very much hope you are successful.

The technical bulletin for TPMS control module reset issue (JTB00317NAS2) says to program module with SDD v.138 or later. My Mongoose Pro cable came with software version 138 so I intend to use it to program the replacement module.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by tmich
I replaced mine myself. No programming was needed if I'm not mistaken. Anyway - swap it. If it doesn't work you will go for programming (but everything else will still work normally). But is should work...

Interesting. I did swap the modules, but no recognition. I noted that the new module has a new updated part number and is made by a different manufacturer than the original, but per the Jaguar part numbering system, the new module is intended as a direct replacement. I was a tad taken aback when my local service manager had to check and see if the dept still had the programming software for an 07. 😳

Old 07-08-2023, 08:42 AM

Oh wow, please let me know how that works out! Awesome feedback my man!

I Googled and it looks like version 160 is available, any suggestions on going that route?

Last edited by Smonop; 07-08-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I had this same issue on my 2010 XKR for a period of time. Like Jbmi stated in an earlier post, I over inflated the tires to about 40lbs. The warning disappeared and then I dropped the pressure to normal levels. And it has not returned in the last several years.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:45 PM
Default Resolution...

So, after 4 months I believe my issue has been resolved (fingers crossed). I went on e-bay and for $55.00, purchased a used TPMS module (from a car with 30k miles). I specifically chose a module from the original manufacturer with matching serial numbers to my faulty module. I received and installed the module today. Upon starting the car, the 'TPMS fault' triangle came up on the dash, but within 10 minutes of driving, the fault cleared and the intermittent "rotating under-inflated tire warning" has not returned.

I believe that the new module I purchased from Jaguar simply wasn't compatible without programming from Jaguar. The price I was quoted from my local dealership was $325.00 with the proviso that there was no guarantee the programming would be successful.

The following 3 users liked this post by Smonop:
kj07xk (07-17-2023), tberg (07-17-2023), V7Sport (07-18-2023)