XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tire Rotation and Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Tire Rotation and Maintenance Question

Is anybody here rotating the tires on their XK? I admit that I have not yet done a tire rotation. Also, is there any recommended procedure to keep the rims from freezing to the hubs? Maybe a light dab of grease around the hub area? Also what about the lugs? Any procedure for keeping them easy to remove and from corroding? And finally, let's talk about the spare tire. I am ashamed to admit that I have not even given it a look yet. Anything 'unusual' to know about when changing the tire on an xk?

I ask because today I saw a car with a flat tire and neither the owner nor the tow truck driver could get the damn wheel off.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

When I got my car I pulled all of the wheels and brushed on a thin coat of anti-seize compound on the hubs. No problem getting the wheels off or on again. On the lugs just use the correct torque and a clean unworn 6 point socket. I check the spare every 90 days . Now because my and I believe others have a staggered wheel setup and some or most have directional tires and the rear rims are larger then the fronts I don't rotate any tires/wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

With my recent nail in the tire indecent (luckily it was in my garage when it went flat) , I found out the lug wrench was shot (I've only had the car 6 weeks at that point). It was all rounded so pretty much useless. I could NOT get one of the lugs off with a breaker bar and a 19mm socket because the lug was overtightened and rounded off. I filled the tire and drove to the shop where they got it off with a special socket. The wheels came off ok for them, then I bought 2 new rears. I usually don't have a problem with the wheels getting stuck... Now the brake rotor is a different story......

Point is, check your lug wrench and your lugs. I bought replacement lug nuts and a new lug wrench because I don't want to deal with the failed capped lugs again. Don't let the shop overtighten and maybe consider an extendable lug wrench for more leverage (or carry a pipe...).

As far a rotation, Haven't had the car (and tires) long enough but I don't believe I will be rotating them. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe change my mind if I hear a convincing argument

Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I have the wheels off my cars twice a year to check treads, inside tyre wall, suspension and brakes. Torque the wheel nuts to 125Nm (92 lbf) and never had them seize or break.

With directional 245/40 ZR 19 tyres on the front and 275/35 ZR 19 on the rear, they can't be rotated in the classic method and switching left to right requires turning the tyres on the rims.

If you have a 'skinny' T 135/80 R 18 spare, check the pressure regularly. I've had these on my last three Jaguars and they do lose pressure from the recommended 60 psi by up to 5 psi within two or three months.

Graham

NBCat (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

My stock setup has directional tires and staggered size so no bueno on rotation.

If you are running non-directional you can rotate side to side.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by shemp

Point is, check your lug wrench and your lugs. I bought replacement lug nuts and a new lug wrench because I don't want to deal with the failed capped lugs again. Don't let the shop overtighten and maybe consider an extendable lug wrench for more leverage (or carry a pipe...).

Do you have a link where you purchased the lugs and wrench?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'm gonna try this for the wrench. May supply my own socket though if they look cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I got these as recommended on a different thread on this forum. they are 21mm though and the stocks are 19mm. They fit and a regular socket fits inside my stock mags:
20pc OE Mag Style Lug Nuts with Washer 12x1 5 Toyota Lexus Chrome Silver | eBay

The following 4 users liked this post by shemp:
britannia (10-19-2016), fishbait1 (10-14-2016), kj07xk (10-10-2016), TX Nigel (06-02-2017)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Tires wore perfectly in my XK, no reason to rotate. If you do rotate, you could miss alignment issues that should be correct instead of rotating the tire.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I'm gonna try this for the wrench. May supply my own socket though if they look cheap.

And I got these as recommended on a different thread on this forum. they are 21mm though and the stocks are 19mm. They fit and a regular socket fits inside my stock mags:
Let us know how that wrench works out. I currently carry a 2 ft pipe in the trunk of both my cars, works great, but it would be nice to have something collapsible that would fit in with the spare, under the lid.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Let us know how that wrench works out. I currently carry a 2 ft pipe in the trunk of both my cars, works great, but it would be nice to have something collapsible that would fit in with the spare, under the lid.
It got pretty good reviews. Since it's a low use item (hopefully!), I think it'll be ok. Figured I'd try this one. Amazon will take anything back so no risk. I'll rotate the tires on my Yukon with it and post the results when I get to it. Gorilla has one also which is twice the price. I was gonna get that one but it came with SAE sockets. Don't want to mar my new lug nuts now

Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Is anybody here rotating the tires on their XK? I admit that I have not yet done a tire rotation. Also, is there any recommended procedure to keep the rims from freezing to the hubs? Maybe a light dab of grease around the hub area? Also what about the lugs? Any procedure for keeping them easy to remove and from corroding? And finally, let's talk about the spare tire. I am ashamed to admit that I have not even given it a look yet. Anything 'unusual' to know about when changing the tire on an xk?

I ask because today I saw a car with a flat tire and neither the owner nor the tow truck driver could get the damn wheel off.
Yep, Aluminum and Steel tend to bond when heated. Per Jagtoes', anti-seize will help with the tight lugs. Replace the lug nuts and get away from OEM as they are capped and will round out.

Toyota sells the mag style that fit our vehicles as Shemp notes ( I guess that may be wheel style dependent, mine are the mag type) and you can pick up a Toyota lug wrench/ crowbar or add a socket and breaker bar to your spare wheel well.

If you've done all that and you get a flat, and can loosen the lug nuts but the wheel is stuck to the hub, the solution is to finger tighten a couple of lug nuts back on to the wheel, then slowly lower the jack and let the weight of the vehicle separate the wheel from the hub. Works like a charm.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
MCX (09-07-2023), ralphwg (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I've used the equivalent on my STR for years and it's better than the OE. I'd prefer it if it had more of a 90 degree angle, but hey. I also got my own socket AND made sure to get a 6-sided not 12-sided.

I try to keep tyre fitters etc away from my (lug/wheel) nuts as many are "clumsy" (to be kind).

Sean W (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
...... I try to keep tyre fitters etc away from my (lug/wheel) nuts as many are "clumsy" (to be kind).
I never allow anyone with an air wrench anywhere near my wheels. I find their IQ is usually in inverse proportion to the torque applied.

Graham

Sean W (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well this lug wrench seems just fine. It feels strong and solid even at full extension. It snaps into place when fully extended. Sockets look and feel strong also. Sockets fit nice and extend over the entire lug (even though they are 2 sockets sizes in one where the wrench fits in the middle of the socket). I had some doubts but this is a great deal. I had no problem getting the old lugs off. And again, you can fit any 1/2 socket on it.

The lugs above were already recommended in another thread but I'll endorse them here also. Great value on both items.

Best thing about the wrench is it fits right inside the factory lug nut styrofoam organizer that fits over the spare.

So I checked my spare pressure while I was in there (it was @24psi!) . And I'll confess. while I had the spare out, I washed it. There was a white film all over it. Would hate to have to drive around in a dirty bright orange spare

elindo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well this lug wrench seems just fine. It feels strong and solid even at full extension. It snaps into place when fully extended. Sockets look and feel strong also. Sockets fit nice and extend over the entire lug (even though they are 2 sockets sizes in one where the wrench fits in the middle of the socket). I had some doubts but this is a great deal. I had no problem getting the old lugs off. And again, you can fit any 1/2 socket on it.

The lugs above were already recommended in another thread but I'll endorse them here also. Great value on both items.

Best thing about the wrench is it fits right inside the factory lug nut styrofoam organizer that fits over the spare.

So I checked my spare pressure while I was in there (it was @24psi!) . And I'll confess. while I had the spare out, I washed it. There was a white film all over it. Would hate to have to drive around in a dirty bright orange spare
Thanks for the info, just ordered one!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I never allow anyone with an air wrench anywhere near my wheels. I find their IQ is usually in inverse proportion to the torque applied.

Graham
I only take my car in to the tire shop if I'm getting new tires. I let them do what they do but before they balance, I hand them my torque wrench and watch them do it. They roll their eyes but comply.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks again for bringing this wrench to our attention. Just arrived today, and I agree, it looks and feels good. The sockets are 6-point, and look and feel good too. Only 'cheap' part is the plastic 'storage bag', but I wasn't expecting one anyway. Will be taking the wheels off in a couple of weeks, so I'll get a chance to try it out then (and hopefully not before!).

shemp (10-10-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

just installed the lug nuts recommended by Shemp. I just used my long handled ratchet with a deep well 21mm socket. can carry it in the trunk along with everything else.
the case for replacing the OEM lugs is the issue with the caps rounding off which happened when I was removing the old ones. the cap actually turned in the wrench slightly and got jammed in. I had to clamp the lug in my bench vise and hammer the lug wrench loose. if this had happened on the road with a flat I would have been SOL ( s--t outa luck ).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM

I just got the wrench from Amazon and I will attest it is a very nice wrench. I also got the recommended lugs. I was able to remove the 4 lugs but I can't get the socket over the last one. Should I give it a couple of taps to get it on?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yea that's what I had to do on a couple. Tap the 19mm socket so it covers the entire lug. If you get it off it'll be stuck in the socket. Just pop it out with a screwdriver and a hammer if necessary. On one of my lugs, it was so rounded I couldn't get it off. The tire shop had a special socket to get it off so that's your last resort if necessary.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation and Maintenance Question