XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tired XKR Convertible - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:31 AM
Received 209 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Tired XKR Convertible - first impressions

So, the car I wrote about here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-idea-271693/

is now standing on my driveway. It probably wasn't a bargain; it probably will have many issues to come, but I have a fatal weakness for cars that are looking for some love - and I wanted this car. First impressions are that the car is functionally 100% (I can't find any features or toys that aren't working right) and mechanically "pretty good". It seems the car had barely turned a wheel in the past year and it was stumbling when I test drove it. 2 1/2 hours down the motorway to get it home and it's much better now. There's still a little unevenness on cold idle though, and the odd little hiccup when driving in town. I can find no evidence that the spark plugs have ever been replaced so I may do this just for the sake of it. There are no worrying noises from the engine cold or warm on startup or shutdown (famous last words). There's no evidence that the transmission fluid has ever been changed so that's on my list too.

There's a definite need for some lubrication of hinges etc. The doors creak, the roof creaks, and the steering column creaks like dracula's castle when moving between driving position and entry/exit position.

There are a couple of missing parts. The centre section of the front aero kit spoiler is missing - presumably torn off after hitting something in the road - £220! - and the oval blanking plate that covers the manual release access for the roof is also missing. £58!!! Finally, there's only one smart key (groan). Lord knows what it's going to cost to get another one programmed up.

And here's my first question...

There's one other trim issue needing further investigation. The rear quarter sliding panel on one side is misaligned. It operates fine but looks like it's off its rail on one side so it's not flush with the trim. I'm wondering what options I have for trying to investigate this without pulling all the trim off. If I use the pull cord to manually unlatch the tonneau (while the roof is down) and raise it, do I have to turn the pressure valve on the pump first, and will this mess up the roof sequencing? Or can I just pop the tonneau, take a look at the sliding panel and then close the tonneau again without disturbing the roof power mechanisms?

Last edited by justinhill; 07-22-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Default Rear quarter sliding panel issue

For clarity, this picture shows the sliding panel with the problem. It's working but as you can see it's out of position.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

The sliding door has four pins. There is an upper and lower track on either side of the door opening. Everything is plastic. If the tracks are broken, rebuild them they are not offered for sale. If the pins are broken, same thing…rebuild. If the pins are bent, try straightening them.

I would look carefully and initially try to pull the opening area apart slightly and see if you can put the door pins in their correct location. This might be all that is needed.

If not, remove the panel and everything will become clear.

Good luck

wj

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wymjym
The sliding door has four pins. There is an upper and lower track on either side of the door opening. Everything is plastic. If the tracks are broken, rebuild them they are not offered for sale. If the pins are broken, same thing…rebuild. If the pins are bent, try straightening them.
I would look carefully and initially try to pull the opening area apart slightly and see if you can put the door pins in their correct location. This might be all that is needed.
If not, remove the panel and everything will become clear.
Good luck
wj
Thanks! By 'opening area' do you mean the hard trim around the panel? I could give that a go. It also occurred to me that I could 'stall' the hood opening sequence half way in order to gain access?

Old 07-24-2023, 07:33 AM
Received 98 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhill
Thanks! By 'opening area' do you mean the hard trim around the panel? I could give that a go. It also occurred to me that I could 'stall' the hood opening sequence half way in order to gain access?
Stop it with the tonneau in the vertical position and you should be able to see what’s up with the flap.

The following 2 users liked this post by fritzthecat:
justinhill (07-24-2023), McJag222 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 02:26 PM
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Some Pics from my Related Fix

@justinhill I'm not sure if these will be helpful to you, but I snagged some photos from when I had to perform a similar repair to my 2010 XKR convertible.

I marked up the photos as to call out the tracks, and the plastic cylinder that is attached to the cables that work the panel forwards/backwards during the top up/down procedure.

Cheers!

2010 Jaguar XKR convertible sliding boot cover panel tracks/mechanism

2010 Jaguar XKR convertible sliding boot cover panel

The following 4 users liked this post by bgpenguin21:
carlucci9 (07-25-2023), fritzthecat (07-31-2023), justinhill (07-24-2023), McJag222 (07-24-2023)