XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touch screen, radio, and ac inop

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 07:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Touch screen, radio, and ac inop

So my 2010 xkr has been sitting for awhile due to my job requiring me to be out if country for several months. So, finally I get back and service my car. Had to get a new battery for it which was tested with 12.6 volts and ccas at 900 some.

turned the car on and my touch screen does nothing. My radio will not turn on or my ac. I have hit/held the power buttons for various amount of time but nothing happens. I checked all fuses that correlate with it and they are all good. I even replaced them with new ones to just be sure. Nothing. I read another forum about the nav system in the back could cause the issue, found that the nav system will not eject disk or has no power to it (will not be able to check till tomorrow when I can get my multimeter).

but i think the center console is good due to power still getting to my recycle air button, auto button, and defroster buttons. Just nothing else works.

any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-24-2022, 07:54 PM
Default Ps

Also I will grab my battery tester tomorrow as well to ensure that the shops tester was not wrong.

The following users liked this post:
guy (07-26-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:18 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Once you have confirmed a fully charged battery, do a "rectification".
Disconnect both battery cables and hold the cables together to discharge residual electrical charge for e "reset".
Maintain contact for 30-45 seconds.
Let us know what you find.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
Byrdro (07-24-2022), guy (07-26-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:32 PM

Ok will do, thank you for a starting point.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:57 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

Often a blank screen, a non-functioning front distance measuring, a non-functioning cruise control, all will be sorted after a long trip, and a stop and start. The car itself can charge the battery much better than any charger. So when I have an issue af long time not driving, I don't worry, I wait until a drive+restart, if still there (rare) I worry

Old 07-25-2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by No Quarter
Often a blank screen, a non-functioning front distance measuring, a non-functioning cruise control, all will be sorted after a long trip, and a stop and start. The car itself can charge the battery much better than any charger. So when I have an issue af long time not driving, I don't worry, I wait until a drive+restart, if still there (rare) I worry

yeah, i was thinking that too. I mean with thcar on thr alternator should be charging at 14-16 DC, bringing the volts up regardless if I had 12.6 or not. But, I have also read that some issues go away after driving for a while. Will be testing the battery and checking some of the pins to see if volts are getting to the necessary spots.

will report when i get done testing and driving it around tonight. Hopefully all is well.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:36 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi,

The screens (Satnav etc) are a common failure. My XKR (2010) stopped working some time ago. Despite various pieces of advice I fitted a used screen from an XF (same year) and all is now fine (X150 screens, even secondhand, are VERY expensive - XF ones are not - I paid £25 !!!). Good luck but I'll lay a bet that your info screen is kaput.(PS - you don't need to program anything - it's 'Plus & Play')

Old 07-25-2022, 09:19 PM

So I might end up doing that and getting a new screen. But first need to do the free stuff 🤣🤣.

Checked battery and was good. Drove around today for an hour or so and really laid on it. Did a few stop and goes and had nothing.

Just tried the reset and drained the power in the system for about 20 min. And I have power to the dvd player in the back again and the screen comes on. Unfortunately the logo pops up and the screen shuts off and repeats for about 5-7 seconds and completely shuts off.

Going to go from there and see what I find in the other threads and see if I find something related to that. I think I found one and they stated the start up file was lost and would need a new DVD with that file on it to get it started.

ill post an update this week when i can get back to it. Also had a blast letting this thing run. Jesus can't believe it had to sit this whole time till I came back.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

You can certainly hear and feel whether or not the Nav unit is running. It runs non stop.
Well not free but cheap. Buy yourself one of these and disconnect the fiber optics from the Nav Unit and connect the loop to the cable. It will take the Nave unit out of the MOST ring and if that was your problem, you will get your screen back.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-26-2022, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
You can certainly hear and feel whether or not the Nav unit is running. It runs non stop.
Well not free but cheap. Buy yourself one of these and disconnect the fiber optics from the Nav Unit and connect the loop to the cable. It will take the Nave unit out of the MOST ring and if that was your problem, you will get your screen back.
https://www.amazon.com/SecosAutopart...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
thanks, I went ahead and got one, 12$ can't hurt to have it coming while I continue to play around with the car.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

The fact that the logo does appear on the display has me leaning that its not the display. Also as the fan controller is not operational has me leaning in the direction that you have ruled out... insufficient voltage and or current.
This is a common behaviour of the car should there be insufficient power to drive all the needed components.
I'm glad you tested the battery again. But was it immediately after you charged her?? Humour me, charge the battery fully on one day, then on the NEXT day report on its voltage and CCA... Like I said, I have a feeling that in your short absence the battery may have discharged beyond the forgivable capacity.
And should you be able, get the codes read.

Incidentally, I regularly leave the car for months on end. She's not on a maintainer and though the battery may be slightly above 12.3v, she quickly comes to life
Also, my shop battery charger kicks out as many amps as the alternator. There is one advantage to using it... the car isn't running.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:45 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

My faulty screen also showed the logo for a second or two after the door was opened and/or ignition was turned on, so don't think that because yours also comes on occassionally that it's not faulty. The screen is (despite what I was told at the time) simply plug and play - the info is supplied from elsewhere - much like a PC monitor. You do NOT need access to SDD etc to try another screen. I've bought a couple of XF screens to keep on the shelf 'just in case'.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:14 PM

Sorry to bring up a dead thread. I had to pack the car up and store while I was away. So finally got to testing everything. I took the center console out seats took everything out in the back. I even bought a new screen.

So, I replaced the screen and guess what, the new screen did the exact same thing. Logo appears sometimes with the R most the time the leaper. But after 10-20 seconds screen goes black. Went to get my battery tested and i have 12.7v while power is on. Used the old screen and can get the logo to display and turn off repeatedly. So screens are good. I see the coming out of the FO hook up on both. Plug it in. Go to the back near the taillight. Unplug see the light from the FO. I jump it. So I go to unplug the modules from the stack, none of the FO cables have light coming through. So right now I am under the impression that my FO cable from the USB bus to the DVD player is broken. Going to see how much the cable is and try to replace. Hopefully that's the fix cause after that I have no idea what to do next outside of taking it to a jag shop.

Also thank you all for when you did answer my questions from before, it was a lot going on at that time and was caught up in work and so forth.

McJag222 (03-26-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

@Byrdro sounds like you have a module out. Could be one in the center stack or trunk stack. Consider this, loop each module out one at a time using a bypass loop. BT and satellite modules are common fail points but best not to guess. Just do them each one by one and no particular order is required. Here's a link to a loop that works fine in our cars:

Amazon Amazon

Bill400 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 05:29 PM
Default MOST Diagnostics

From the 2010-11 XK_X150 Workshop manual (available at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/ )
See pages 2319 - 20 and 2326 - 33

Refer to the MOST Ring description on page 2327.

As noted in the symptom chart on page 2326:

If the touch screen is flashing,
 MOST ring broken after the touch screen display
 Control module on MOST network power or ground circuit open circuit, high resistance
 Control module on MOST network internal failure

If the Touch screen is blank:
 MOST ring broken between the information and entertainment control module and the touch screen display
 Information and entertainment control module or touch screen display power or ground circuit open circuit, high resistance
 Wake up signal not received by the information and entertainment control module
 Information and entertainment control module or touch screen display internal failure

Let us know what you find.

PS: I had a touch screen that was pulling excess current (defect). The "flashing" display was due to the smart control module (fuse) breaking and resetting.
Swapped the main TS circuit board since one was available cheap. Effectively, same as replacing the TS module.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MOST Diagnostics Pg2326-33.pdf (183.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: docx
MOST Pg 2319-20.docx (415.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Bill400; 03-28-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Sean W (03-29-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:47 AM

Thank you both, yeah I went through with the jumpers but I get nothing. I have been turning the car on and off between changes. Still not getting anything. Was going ask if I need to do different steps to ensure if I'm testing correctly

Old 03-30-2023, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Byrdro
Thank you both, yeah I went through with the jumpers but I get nothing. I have been turning the car on and off between changes. Still not getting anything. Was going ask if I need to do different steps to ensure if I'm testing correctly
"Went through the jumpers" Can you elaborate? I don't know what that means? Are you referring to the bypass loop?

Old 03-30-2023, 10:52 AM

Yes, sorry I call them jumpers from my job. I went through the whole loop. Could I use a laser pointer to see if the FO cables are broken

Old 03-31-2023, 07:34 AM

Since screen is flashing.check for most signal (red dot on a white card (not in your eye) at:
7 Power amplifier
8 Integrated audio module
9 MOST diagnostic connector
(Save effort by working backward, If Most is consistent at #9, #7 and #8 are ok.)

The MOST socket (component of module) is integral to the transcever (mounted to the circuit board), go to the next device, check for red dot from plug to confirm all previous components.
The transceiver requires only power and incoming MOST/light source to produce a MOST/light outpot.

If 12V power to module and light source to input of transceiver, with no output to next module implys a defective module or transceiver at the source module.
ie. goes in but not out, defective.

Finally, check the 12v input to the touch screen to see if it fails intermittently.

PS: Tight radius of of fiber-optic cable can cause permenant break. Tight radius and or stress adjacent to connector can cause loss of optic signal.

Last edited by Bill400; 03-31-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:58 AM

Thank you, will be testing again today.

Quick Reply: Touch screen, radio, and ac inop