XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touchscreen on and off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 02:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Touchscreen on and off.

Sometimes my touchscreen goes on and off, then it settles down. this is totally random.

Im not suspecting the battery.

My car was apparently used to deliver drugs behind the dash and I am wondering if something came loose.

Any ideas before I yank the dash off....?

Old 05-10-2023, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

It's the battery. Doesn't matter if you suspect it or not. It's ALWAYS the battery.
When you buy a new one, make sure you charge it Before you install it. "New" batteries are never fully charged by the time they are sold.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:26 PM

Not to disrespect you but I know it is not the battery as the battery was new on the weekend.

I even took it back and got another.

So two batteries are not going to be faulty.

And yea.....I know batteries are not fully charged when you buy them !

Im just hoping that someone may have had this before, and can point me in the direction they went in before I rip the dash out....

Old 05-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Search this forum for every possible electrical problem.
It's the battery nearly every time.
Many, many people have had the exact problem you state. 98% of the time it's the battery. The other 2% it's the actual screen itself. The XF replacement screens will fit, but have different mounting hardware.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:23 PM

Please explain how replacing a battery with two fully charged brand new ones ( of different make) show that the problem is the battery ?

Im an engineer and if one solution does not fix a problem you dont keep doing the same thing again and again until you get the result required?

As an aside, I have two batteries for my VDP( what makes you think Im on my 8th Jag..lol always have a spare battery) and I tried both of them in my XKR and the problem persists.....so basically we have had four batteries in that car and not one of them solves the problem.

So thanks for your reply because now it certainly looks like I have a loose something or other behind the dash.

Please note the dealer I bought the car from was using cars to deliver drugs, they would put the drugs behind the dash and then deliver the car.The money would then be put where the drugs were and that is how they did their thing . My dash does look like it has been removed.

Had a lot of issues with the car purchase , its called a crime of transfer, I had to do a Trump and I sent the guy a photo of his house and told him he had a week to send me the title ( I had the car, not the title )...Title was fedexed to me the next day.

Dealer was in court last week to answer charges, he's going to jail for a while.

I think a lot of people didnt get the result I did, one guy bought an XJS and he lived in Poland......he got screwed.

If any of you guys want to scare yourselves about some of the crap car dealers do over car sales.....look it up.....its amazing what these guys try to get away with.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:51 AM
Received 287 Likes on 107 Posts

New batteries are rarely fuuly charged, put a ctek on it or drive a long long trip. Chances are it will fix the issue

Old 05-11-2023, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

You're describing one of two likely culprits. One as has been pointed out above is the battery. Full charge, reads 12.6 volts resting, and the alternator should be putting out 14 volts while running. So it's also possible that you have a quiescent drain and when you start the car, low battery, flaky touchscreen, then as you drive, the alternator does its job and you'r screen behaves.

The second simplest explanation is a module in the MOST ring that is failing or possibly damage to the fiber optic line. Here is a link to the manual and the electrical diagrams. The electrical diagrams have a MOST ring section. Primarily there are two stacks of modules, one in the trunk and one in the center stack.

Get a bypass loop from Amazon and use the diagrams.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...guides-215509/

Consider adding your vehicle description to your signature. 07-09 are different in many ways than 10 -15MY's

Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
jahummer (05-11-2023), ralphwg (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:14 AM

Before putting any of the batteries in the car they were all fully charged with my home charger.

I have said this several times .

Four fully charged batteries giving me a fault in one car and not the other car looks like the batteries are not where the problem is !

Old 05-11-2023, 09:19 AM

Thankyou, now I have a weekend project.

4 good batteries, 2 were new.

Fault not repeating itself in another car.

Alternator replaced last year , out put good, battery voltages good.

I did find an insulation short on the battery lead and initially thought that was the problem, it got rid of another problem I had but not the touchscreen.

Still thinking of doing a two battery conversion, just have to find somewhere to put the extra battery !

My gf said..."put it on the back seat , no one can use that anyway "

Old 05-11-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gearjammer
Before putting any of the batteries in the car they were all fully charged with my home charger.

I have said this several times .

Four fully charged batteries giving me a fault in one car and not the other car looks like the batteries are not where the problem is !
Yep. Simply describing the most common causes of the problem. Not arguing against your point. Your car, your time, your money...

Old 05-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gearjammer
Thankyou, now I have a weekend project.

Still thinking of doing a two battery conversion, just have to find somewhere to put the extra battery !

My gf said..."put it on the back seat , no one can use that anyway "
There's a reason batteries sit behind a firewall:-) If it were me, I'd be making space in the boot.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:51 AM
Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Since the centre console seems to have been removed many times, there may be a loose connexion to the unit. The "Entertainment" unit can be easily removed for inspection. See this link:

Who knows - you might find some leftover booty still there...

Old 05-11-2023, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Listen to what Sean said. Battery’s the most common issue BUT there is a percentage of members here who’ve reported the same problem and it turned out to either be a failing screen or a MOST module issue. Since all modules are on the MOST, just one can cause random anomalies.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

These screens pack up (let's face it they are getting old). Try a used screen from an XF of the same vintage (important). The only difference is that the XK version has two small metal tags on each side, whereas the XF doesn't). In the Uk these used XF screens are VERY cheap. Got to be worth a try (cured my XKR problem !) Good Luck !!!

Old 05-13-2023, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Well, you've all jinxed me. Mine boots up with the Jaguar splash screen then flashes on and off and the backlight goes out along with touch functions. All hard buttons work correctly. When I pull fuses or disconnect MOST cables, the screen reboots but still same issue...ugh

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
Well, you've all jinxed me. Mine boots up with the Jaguar splash screen then flashes on and off and the backlight goes out along with touch functions. All hard buttons work correctly. When I pull fuses or disconnect MOST cables, the screen reboots but still same issue...ugh
It's the Battery!!!
heh.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:15 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

It's the screen, it's the screen - lol !! My 2010 XKR was exhibiting the same symptoms and I tried everything already discussed to no avail. Putting a used screen in from an XF cured it. Bear in mind the screen stores no data etc, it is simply a screen with touch technology. I've bought several used XF screens just in case the problem recurs (in the UK they can be bought for as low as £25 on Ebay. Surely it's got to be worth a try ?? Once again, good luck !

Old 05-15-2023, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I'm voting for NOT the battery. I reckon enough testing is enough.

Good luck!