XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the screen flicker and then had the speakers make a clipping noise, with the Bluetooth module showing no response. I replaced the Bluetooth module with an updated version and no problem since.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no dash screen

All xk's do this. I wouldn't disconnect the battery or even take it in to the dealer as you are just looking for trouble. 99% of the time just restarting will fix it...hey it's a jag and so beautiful

Big Mike

Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I had the problem occasionally with my 12 xk. The cure was as suggested above; sdtop the car, turn off, start car and if that didn't work follow same proceedure but lock car using key fob; then start car.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Ralph, that's true about the fob, God knows why. I just mentioned not disconnecting the battery because there is a procedure for re powering. These cars are really sensitive to voltage spikes.

Big Mike

Old 02-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I had it happen about a month ago. Restarting the car did not help until I locked it with the key folb, then it worked immediately afterwards.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Default Touch screen problem related to battery charge

I had this issue with my 08 xkr . It was resolved by installing a CTEK battery charger system. Less than optimum battery voltage has some effect on system components. Long story short, it solved the issue for me. Simple install. There is a string on it somewhere here.

Best,

Dennis

Originally Posted by MrScotch
I bought a 2008 XKR back in march. Occasionally, I would start the car and the radio / nav touchscreen would not turn on. It just stays black with the jaguar logo. I would drive it as is and the next time I got in and started the car it would work. This problem had stopped during the summer, but it just happened again this morning. The weather has just started to change where I live, and the car was full of condensation this morning. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas of where to look. thank you,
Jim

Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The most likely issue is the battery is not fully charged. You could get the codes read fairly cheaply or buy and OBD reader and see if the codes indicate battery power faults.

I had exactly the same issue and despite the battery showing it was in good condition the codes indicated an issue, replacing the battery cured the fault.

I now use a CTeh charger if I'm not driving for more than five days

Good luck

Old 03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunately, the XKR is very poorly designed when it comes to battery usage in my opinion.

My 2007 XKR, purchased from new, started having screen issues in the second year and the dealer was unable to resolve them. The last thing they told me was they would "keep an eye out for updated software and let me know". I never heard anything from them. I suspect they know this is a battery issue and having owned the car for 8 years now, it definitely happens more in the Winter. Of course, its a pain, but sometimes, if I notice the screen hasn't come on, I can turn off the engine and re-start it to fix the issue. Sometimes, this doesn't work and the only fix is to exit and lock the car, then wait for 5 minutes for the screen to turn off. Alternatively, I have a silent journey as the CD player/radio doesn't work when the screen is off. I also have to remember when parking that the Park Distance Control isn't activated!

It's a real pain and something I believe Jaguar could design around if they chose to.

Today, my battery went flat after trying to program my factory fitted garage door transmitter. The battery is only 2 years old, but this is another example of poor power usage in the XKR. I've left it to charge overnight, but how do I program the transmitter if the battery won't last long enough as the instructions specifically state that the engine should not be turned on!!!!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Leave the charger plugged in and operating.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
Unfortunately, the XKR is very poorly designed when it comes to battery usage in my opinion.

Today, my battery went flat after trying to program my factory fitted garage door transmitter. The battery is only 2 years old, but this is another example of poor power usage in the XKR. I've left it to charge overnight, but how do I program the transmitter if the battery won't last long enough as the instructions specifically state that the engine should not be turned on!!!!
Sounds a really poor experience, I had a two year old XKR 07 in the Uk and never had an issue although always garaged and generally nothing less than a ten mile run. In Australia I bought a 08 XKR last year and started having issues with the touch screen straight away, the battery was the original and still recording good performance but the OBD codes showed up battery faults - so I replaced it and now everything is perfect (11 months) I recently had four weeks in Europe and put it on the CTek Charger. Perhaps you could get a print out of the codes and look elsewhere for the problem or you have had shocking luck with batteries?

I'll check into the HomeLink issue, I work for a subsidiary of the company that makes the system, although we do not have that frequency in Australia. What brand is your garage door opener?

Cheers

Old 07-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

My recent experience (2010 XKR):
I was in a situation where I had to start and stop the car repeatedly (several times within a couple of hours), and on one of the restarts the touchscreen went blank. no "R" logo, nothing. Dead. The steering wheel controls also did not work, nor the radio on/off button. (Thankfully the climate control buttons did seem to work).
Tried the key-fob-lock fix suggested by others-- no go. Tried removing fuse 14 (not 15) for a few minutes - had the interesting effect of getting me to the "R" screen, but after fifteen seconds it just went black again.
Disconnected the battery, left it for about five minutes before re-attaching. That did the trick. Good as new. (Another interesting note-- lost all "trip" data, which I never use anyway, and reset the clock, but all my radio station and seat presets were still there).

I also learned that there's a AAA battery back there-- or at least a battery with a AAA "3 year warranty" label. Ahh, the things one learns about one's used car....

Curious note #1: during all those restarts the engine cranked strong each time and fired right up. Didn't seem like there was any kind of voltage drop.

Note #2: This car is my daily driver. The first time I took a trip and let it sit for a week, battery was dead as a doornail. BUT no issues with the touch screen when I jumped the car. All was fine. I read a few battery threads here and saw a few folks suggesting setting the parking brake each time I shut the car down, I've been doing that ever since and haven't had a battery problem, even after not driving the car for a few days.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Tried the key-fob-lock fix suggested by others-- no go.
Many modules stay powered for 15 to 20 minutes after you turn the ignition off. Locking the car and walking away will speed the shutdown process up so if it happens again try locking the car and leaving it locked for 10 minutes or so. Until I changed the battery in my '07 XKR I used to see this happen quite regularly and that was the easiest fix.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks for the info-- I always learn something new on this forum! In my case, car was left locked overnight, no help.

I've spent hours reading over various battery threads, and I think that the next time this happens I'm gettin an Interstate...

Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Actually, the infotainment module is one of the ones that powers off as soon as you lock the car. So, if locking & unlocking the car (you don't have to get out, just use the smart key) doesn't clear the problem, it probably isn't something that is fixed by a power cycle.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Having seen the problem many times on my car, I can only go with what I have experienced and that is if the touch screen hangs with the logo on it you have to wait for the convenience mode to exit before it becomes usable again. Locking the car obviously speeds up that process but isn't an instant fix. When I have had the issue the screen actually stays on when the car is locked and stays like that until convenience mode exits.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
J4GU4R (03-04-2020), Sean W (02-14-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 03:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had this issue again with my XK. Tried all the fuses suggested, locking unlocking etc. all to no avail. The dealership was of no help over the phone but said they would charge if it needed a software flash - even though it is under warranty???
Eventually I tried disconnecting the battery and touching the two leads together and reconnecting. Working fine now. All the time the car has been in the garage over the winter, the battery has had a CTEK conditioner running so not sure what the issue was. Glad to know it can be sorted without going to the dealers but frustrating all the same.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Not the battery

I have had the same intermittent issue.

When it happens I do one of the following, sometimes one will work and sometimes I have to move on to the next:
Restart
Shut down, restart and put immediately into reverse
Shut down and restart
Shut down , exit and lock, unlock and restart
Shut down, exit and lock, wait and then restart

With a tech background, I believe it is a software or hardware glitch common to booting up a primitive computer - also it COULD BE attributable to unreliable RAM in the system - this is what screws up most computers in our worlds.

I would put my dollar down for your nickel that it is NOT a battery issue, while many times this would be the culprit for our cars' other systems, the computer booting issue would be better explained by the above - this has happened to me after dealer checking battery, with new battery (Jag branded) and with full charge. More to the point it does not happen with such low charge that the engine cannot be cranked!

The temporary solution I would like to find would be one in which the info system could be "force shut down" so that it can reboot without having to wait or go through the circus acts described above - my neighbors must think I have a hard time deciding whether to leave the house or not.

Someone mentioned a frayed wire? ...any idea where?

Perhaps the master fuse could incorporate a power switch to shut it down?

I am sure that Jag would be about as interested in upgrading the computer on these as would Apple be interested in upgrading a hardware fault on a 2008 Mac G4.

Phil

The following users liked this post:
big mike (10-15-2019)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philbone
I would put my dollar down for your nickel that it is NOT a battery issue
Phil
I agree that it is a computer booting issue but my '07 stopped doing it once I changed the battery to an AGM one. Before that it would happen every 2-3 weeks and occasionally even after having been on the CTEK all weekend.

The other noticeable difference is that I used to put my seat belt on while I waited for the logo to disappear after starting the car. Since changing the battery the logo only appears for a split second.

If I do a lot of work on the car with the doors open and touch screen on I occasionally see the logo pause again on startup so I now tend to leave it on the CTEK overnight if I do work on the car. The rest of the time the alternator does what it is designed to do.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Any time I do anything in the car and don't plan on starting it I leave the smart charger plugged in. So things like programming the garage door opener or cleaning the interior or replacing a registration sticker it is plugged in. So far so good.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Another thing that happens - very strange...

Making sure that I leave the radio on when I shut the car down, and starting it up the next day seems to force the system to come on immediately! I have never had a hang up doing this.

This is what I do these days.

Phil

Quick Reply: Touchscreen periodically won't turn on