XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Touchscreen periodically won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Received 297 Likes on 170 Posts

Congratulations on resolving the issue and thanks for posting your solution.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:52 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I also resolved the issue I was having with the touchscreen on my 2007 XKR, which I owned from new, although the solution was a little more extreme (and costly) than musacch's.

I sold my XKR last February and purchased my first Mercedes, a 2019 C63S AMG. It has a very modern interface and guess what, it never fails to turn on

The C63S is a VERY different car to the XKR, more like a muscle car - lots of power that can't be controlled! Although it looks sporty and aggressive it has nothing on the beautiful lines of the XKR.

While I miss the XKR and actually get quite emotionally when I look at photos (silly, I know), after a year of ownership the C63S still gives me a buzz when I drive it, which isn't that often in these Covid ridden times!

One day I may move back to Jaguar and try the F-Type R.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Well, I have now been smitten with an infortainment screen bug. Yesterday, at the end of about a 30 mile round trip drive, I was coming off the freeway and the nav screen just shut down and showed the R (for XKR), no radio, no A/C, no other screen functions. I pulled over, shut down the car a couple of times, locked it, and restarted, and it stayed non-functional with the R screen. Got home, parked it, and a couple of hours later went out to the car to get something and tried starting it up and voila, the screen worked again. I drove it this morning for a few miles and everything seemed back to normal. This afternoon, I started the car and everything was fine but within a couple of minutes, the screen would go off, shut off the radio and then cycle back on a few seconds later. This happened continuously over the next 15 minutes until I got to my destination, and then happened all the way home. Cycle off then on, off then on. My battery was replaced about two weeks ago, but first thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to go out and charge it just in case it's not getting fully charged. Whereas I might be able to go without a radio, I have to have the A/C on anytime I'm in the car, so I can't put off getting this sorted. I'll start with pulling the positive and negative cables and touching them together, then I'll charge the battery, and we'll see what happens. I'll report back after tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Well, I have now been smitten with an infortainment screen bug. Yesterday, at the end of about a 30 mile round trip drive, I was coming off the freeway and the nav screen just shut down and showed the R (for XKR), no radio, no A/C, no other screen functions. I pulled over, shut down the car a couple of times, locked it, and restarted, and it stayed non-functional with the R screen. Got home, parked it, and a couple of hours later went out to the car to get something and tried starting it up and voila, the screen worked again. I drove it this morning for a few miles and everything seemed back to normal. This afternoon, I started the car and everything was fine but within a couple of minutes, the screen would go off, shut off the radio and then cycle back on a few seconds later. This happened continuously over the next 15 minutes until I got to my destination, and then happened all the way home. Cycle off then on, off then on. My battery was replaced about two weeks ago, but first thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to go out and charge it just in case it's not getting fully charged. Whereas I might be able to go without a radio, I have to have the A/C on anytime I'm in the car, so I can't put off getting this sorted. I'll start with pulling the positive and negative cables and touching them together, then I'll charge the battery, and we'll see what happens. I'll report back after tomorrow.
Do you have any accessories plugged in to a lighter socket?
A few years ago, about a half hour into an 8 hour drive home, on a really hot day (so the A/C was running), and stuck in some bumper-to-bumper traffic, had a cheap USB charger adapter plugged in, and my screen blacked out. About 5 minutes later it rebooted and came back. This repeated every few minutes.
Checked my temp and voltage levels via the HKS Camp2 I’d installed a year or two earlier (when the screen would come up), and saw my voltage was lower than normal and temp was higher than I’d seen before.
Got me worried, so shut off the A/C but screen reboots continued. Pulled off at the next exit to let the car cool down (was a bit hesitant to shut it off, as I didn’t know if it would restart and I was a long way from home). After a hour, restarted and got back on the road. Reboots continued but got farther apart, until it settled down an hour or two later.
Replaced the battery, and haven’t had the issue since. But I also tossed out that cheap USB charger too.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't have anything plugged in at the time. This morning, I disconnected the battery, touched the terminals together for 10 seconds, and then put my battery charger on the battery with the terminals still disconnected. The battery level reading seemed to be about 60-70% even though it is only a 2 week old battery, and I drove the car about 50 miles yesterday. So, I charged the battery with the quick charger, and after about 10 minutes, the level returned to 100%. I then had to run an errand with about a 20 minute drive in each direction, and I had a perfectly function screen with no hiccups. I guess the old saying is true, "It's always the battery, stupid!" We'll see what happens over the next few days.

The following 5 users liked this post by tberg:
007XKR (04-28-2021), Cee Jay (04-27-2021), ralphwg (04-28-2021), Sean W (04-27-2021), V7Sport (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Let me get this right... we are comparing the electronic gizmos in 2020 automobiles to that of a 2007 ?? Really?
And btw in my case the handful of times the screen did not power up, it was attributed to
1. battery
2. grounds
3. a malfunctioning module.
i find it to be a pretty robust unit.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well hold on there partners. I got in my car this afternoon, and within 30 seconds after starting the touchscreen was not functioning and flashing between the R sign and a black screen. After getting on the freeway for five minutes or so, screen came back to life with all of the functions and stayed on the rest of the afternoon. Perplexing as ever.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Take the battery back and have them load test it.

ralphwg (04-28-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 03:44 PM

Symptom Possible Causes (From service manual, see attachment)

Remember to consider intermittent connections!

MOST network fault - Touch screen display displaying flashing logo
 MOST ring broken after the touch screen display
 Control module on MOST network power or ground circuit
open circuit, high resistance
 Control module on MOST network internal failure

MOST network fault - Touch screen display blank
 MOST ring broken between the information and
entertainment control module and the touch screen display
 Information and entertainment control module or touch
screen display power or ground circuit open circuit, high
resistance
 Wake up signal not received by the information and
entertainment control module
 Information and entertainment control module or touch
screen display internal failure

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XK MOST Diagnosis.pdf (4.85 MB, 64 views)

Last edited by Bill400; 04-29-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: additional info
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
guy (04-30-2021), musacch (05-07-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:52 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Agree with you Bill. But as I’ve learned from experience and from others... be sure to check the voltage and grounds before diving into the deep end.

Sean W (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

I've never had issues with my screen until yesterday.

I know the battery is fine as ran it on a CTEK recon and then normal mode at the weekend and load tested and it was great, my comfort connect is also telling me the battery is fine.

The only thing different is that I plugged in a USB stick for music yesterday morning, as soon as it was unplugged no issues, then tested with my Bovee plugged into the ipod socket and no issues. Plugged back in the USB stick and the screen failed, scanned for faults (icarsoft) and there weren't any.

No biggy as will simply stream my muzak from my phone to my car, suspect though that the ipod socket and USB use the same module, so a bit of a weird one?

Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Stop reading this thread, @MarkyUK ?? I think Murphy is involved. That's it for me, I don't need that kind of luck either.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by MrScotch
I bought a 2008 XKR back in march. Occasionally, I would start the car and the radio / nav touchscreen would not turn on. It just stays black with the jaguar logo. I would drive it as is and the next time I got in and started the car it would work. This problem had stopped during the summer, but it just happened again this morning. The weather has just started to change where I live, and the car was full of condensation this morning. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas of where to look. thank you,
Jim
I have this same problem with the same car.can someone please tell me what to do,how to fix this. Clyde

Old 10-07-2022, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by biglove2
I have this same problem with the same car.can someone please tell me what to do,how to fix this. Clyde
Read this entire thread. All sorts of pointers and advice in it.

Bill400 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

see my post number 120 in this thread. Had this problem on and off for years and tried very many solutions none of which worked until my mechanic (definitely not the Jag dealer) changed the display interface module or audio module for $550. Jag wanted to replace everything for $6500.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musacch
see my post number 120 in this thread. Had this problem on and off for years and tried very many solutions none of which worked until my mechanic (definitely not the Jag dealer) changed the display interface module or audio module for $550. Jag wanted to replace everything for $6500.
Recently, I have had good luck with pushing the start button without engaging the starter, the circuits come on, including the touchscreen and functions, then, I start the car and it is all good! Also putting the car in locked status when you leave seems to be a good tip too, cuts down on voltage drain.
I have fought the dead screen off and on for many years, it does show up more in cooler and cold weather, as in Minnesota,I suspect the circuits do not like a lower voltage, even with really good newer batteries. This should have been a factory recall long ago, but now too late to force. Software needed work and Jaguar did not want to bother!

Old 10-09-2022, 09:42 AM

A quick recapitulation of blank, locked and flashing touch screens:

1. Software glitches generally cause screens to lock. Program instructions hit an unanticipated dead-end. This problem was recognized and resolved by JLR. It was a recall some years ago.
Earlier models are more likely to experience this problem.
If you don't have the ability to check the software update status using SDD or have a someone who can, get to know your JLR dealer. Request a software scan/update.

2. A flashing touch screen generally indicates a break in the MOST loop. A break in the MOST loop may be due to a defect in the optical fiber or (more likely) the optical connector(s).
Look for sharp bends or tight turns, especially adjecent to connectors. A minimum 1" radius makes a 2" loop.
A break in the MOST loop may also be caused by a constant or intermittent power failure to any module in the loop. Each module receives and retransmits the optical signal.
No power, no retransmission of the red light.
Continuity of the of the MOST optical loop may be verified by disconnecting, one by one, the MOST connectors with the system under power. Check the red light/signal using an index card or similar. Din't look directly at the light source.
See post #129, attached file XK MOST diagnosis, page 2:

3. A blank screen may be diagnosed by checking power to the touch screen/IAM modules and the presence of a MOST signal..
See electrical guide: XK/XKR - Workshop Manuals & Electrical Guides - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Check fuses and power to the the touch screen/IAM, missing power or missing ground.
Check for a break in the MOST ring/signal . Check for a missing "wake-up" signal. Finally, suspect a defective module.

Personally, for ease of access, I would start at fuses, then electronics stack (power and MOST connectors), then pull the display assembly.
The connectors behind the display assembly are subject to abuse when that unit is pulled for any reason.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bill400; 10-09-2022 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add reference
Sean W (10-09-2022)