XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

TPMS issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issues

I went rooting around the forum's and could not really find anything on this, If there is? please direct me to it, What happened is top was left down and car got rained in, Main module behind back seats was ruined and replaced, not the TPM module, The big one. Sence then I've been having a warning of (Tire pressure system failure) Wheel sensors have been replaced a year ago, Tire people check the signal, says good, TPM module was just replaced, Can clear it out with scan tool and drive for couple hours and warning will reappear, HELP!

Old 10-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

My TPMS system has been showing FAULT for about a year now. I've not been able to resolve it after swapping ALL components for new.
I hope you get some help though.
Oh, and there is a problem with the wire bundle in the front-right inside bumper area. It is visible if you remove the right headlight assembly and find where the actual bumper attaches to the frame... the wire bundle is taped at the factory, and sometimes in the wrong place and the mount degrades the wires.

The following users liked this post:
shamronbeach (04-19-2022)
Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Cee jay do you have access to SDD to permanently switch it off

Old 10-17-2021, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Cee jay do you have access to SDD to permanently switch it off
Yes, but I've been putting that off for now, just 'cuz I have other stuff more important to do (and I'm lazy).

Old 10-17-2021, 04:16 AM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts

TPMS problem is on my radar too. Right Front.
Tried swapping front wheels and driving but the problem stayed on the right front, so not the sensor?
Quick check at the bumper connector behind the left front fender liner: Blue & white/blue is LF, Green & white/green RF.
Using a Fluke 87 DMM, wire circuit to antennas show 1.7-1.8 ohms. reading the other side of the connector wire circuit reads 7.75K ohms back to the TPMS module.
Since both are the same (LF & RF) I assume wire and devices are OK.
SDD TPMS test shows 0.2 PSI on the RF TPM with 36 PSI in tire.
Unresolved. But looks like TPMS module.
Will post progress.

PS: when probing connectors, use proper adapters (or skinny wire, etc.) to avoid buggering the connector.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
TPMS problem is on my radar too. Right Front.
Tried swapping front wheels and driving but the problem stayed on the right front, so not the sensor?
Quick check at the bumper connector behind the left front fender liner: Blue & white/blue is LF, Green & white/green RF.
Using a Fluke 87 DMM, wire circuit to antennas show 1.7-1.8 ohms. reading the other side of the connector wire circuit reads 7.75K ohms back to the TPMS module.
Since both are the same (LF & RF) I assume wire and devices are OK.
SDD TPMS test shows 0.2 PSI on the RF TPM with 36 PSI in tire.
Unresolved. But looks like TPMS module.
Will post progress.

PS: when probing connectors, use proper adapters (or skinny wire, etc.) to avoid buggering the connector.
For giggles Bill400, I'd swap the tennis rackets (receivers) anyway, maybe front one that's erring out to a back one. It will only cost you time and they're easily accessed.

Cee Jay (10-17-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Misfire
I went rooting around the forum's and could not really find anything on this, If there is? please direct me to it, What happened is top was left down and car got rained in, Main module behind back seats was ruined and replaced, not the TPM module, The big one. Sence then I've been having a warning of (Tire pressure system failure) Wheel sensors have been replaced a year ago, Tire people check the signal, says good, TPM module was just replaced, Can clear it out with scan tool and drive for couple hours and warning will reappear, HELP!
Dude I got custom made aftermarket rims and tires on my car now that don't even use the original TPMS Jaguar sensors and mine came programmed to work with my XKR.My advice to you is just take that thing to a Jaguar dealership and let them program you some sensors for your Jag

guy (10-20-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:03 AM

Would the antennas in the fender well's report a bad sensor and point out which tire on car or just say (tire pressure system fault) thats what mine is doing?

Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
Dude I got custom made aftermarket rims and tires on my car now that don't even use the original TPMS Jaguar sensors and mine came programmed to work with my XKR.My advice to you is just take that thing to a Jaguar dealership and let them program you some sensors for your Jag
Hey Barry. This is not his issue. he indicated his tire shop confirmed that the sensors were sending signals. If he doubts them he can watch as the tool is wireless and shows the signal along with the serial number. Jaguar TPMS don't need to be programmed. The car just needs to be driven above 20 mph for about 15 minutes without stopping and they will automatically register.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Would the antennas in the fender well's report a bad sensor and point out which tire on car or just say (tire pressure system fault) thats what mine is doing?
A common cause of the fault is having non OEM devices in your car that will interfere with TPMS. I can confirm that this was the case with me and a BT dongle in the OBD II port. Removed it and the fault went away 10 minutes later. So anything BT or wifi related should be removed first and then see if the problem goes away. From the owners manual

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Bill400 (10-18-2021), ralphwg (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM

From the service manual 204-04:

"The 4 initiators are hard wired to the TPMS module. The initiators transmit 125 KHz Low Frequency (LF) signals to the tire
pressure sensors which respond by modifying the mode status within the RF transmission .
The 315 Mhz RF signals are detected by the RF receiver which is connected to the TPMS module. The received RF signals from the tire
pressure sensors are passed to the TPMS module and contain identification, pressure, temperature and acceleration
information for each wheel and tire.
The TPMS module communicates with the instrument cluster via the medium speed CAN bus to provide the driver with
appropriate warnings. The TPMS module also indicates status or failure of the TPMS or components."

Tire Location and Identification
The TPMS can identify the position of the wheels on the vehicle and assign a received tire pressure sensor identification to a
specific position on the vehicle, for example FL (front left), FR (front right), RL (rear left) and RR (rear right). This feature is
required because of the different pressure targets and threshold between the front and rear tires.
The wheel location is performed automatically by the TPMS module using an 'auto-location' function. This function is fully
automatic and requires no input from the driver. The TPMS module automatically re-learns the position of the wheels on the
vehicle if the tire pressure sensors are replaced or the wheel positions on the vehicle are changed.
The TPMS software can automatically detect, under all operating conditions, the following:
 one or more new tire pressure sensors have been fitted
 one or more tire pressure sensors have stopped transmitting
 TPMS module can reject identifications from tire pressure sensors which do not belong to the vehicle
 two 'running' wheels on the vehicle have changed positions.
If a new tire pressure sensor is fitted on any 'running' wheel, the module can learn the new sensor identification
automatically when the vehicle is driven for more than 15 minutes at a speed of more than 20 km/h (12.5 mph).
The tire learn and location process is ready to commence when the vehicle has been stationary or travelling at less than 12
mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. This is known as 'parking mode'. The learn/locate process requires the vehicle to be driven
at speeds of more than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. If the vehicle speed reduces to below 12 mph (20 km/h), the
learn process timer is suspended until the vehicle speed increases to more than 12 mph (20 km/h), after which time the
timer is resumed. If the vehicle speed remains below 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than 15 minutes, the timer is set to zero
and process starts again.
If the tire pressure sensors fitted to the running wheels vehicle are changed, the module can learn the new sensor
__________________________________________________ _________________

My comment:
1. 125 Khz Initiator signal/antenna serves only to activate TPM in the respective wheel.
2. TPM in wheel transmits air pressure value/information to TPM receiver located adjacent to TPMS module. One unit receives signals from all wheels.
3. TPM Receiver decodes RF and conveys data to TPMS module.
4. TPMS module evaluates data and, when appropriate, sends warning to IP via CAN.

For my TPM problem, SDD shows 0.2 PSI for Left Front. Initiator is working. TPM in wheel is responding but data is wrong.
Sure looks to be a defective wheel sensor but changing wheel position did not change the error location.
Maybe it requires more driving to identify a moved TPM than a "new" TPM?

More later.

Last edited by Bill400; 10-18-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: correction delete
Sean W (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Hey Barry. This is not his issue. he indicated his tire shop confirmed that the sensors were sending signals. If he doubts them he can watch as the tool is wireless and shows the signal along with the serial number. Jaguar TPMS don't need to be programmed. The car just needs to be driven above 20 mph for about 15 minutes without stopping and they will automatically register.
idk man cause i was doing the same thing at 1st by putting new TPMS sensors in my car back to back and they never registered.1 time i had a blow out and the TPMS never registered for 1 wheel even when i switched my tires around,so i'm reading what the other guys are saying in the Forum and maybe it was just the antenna inside the fender that got damaged from the blow out.I think the replacement antenna looks like a little tennis racket.I had 1 put in so long ago,I forgot i done it and i think that's what really fixed mine

Old 10-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Nope, No phone chargers or radar detectors,,, going to over inflate tires to 40 psi and hit the hwy, see what happens. And oh yea, When the TPS system fault comes on the little amber tire flashes for a little while before staying solid on.

Last edited by Misfire; 10-19-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, No phone chargers or radar detectors,,, going to over inflate tires to 40 psi and hit the hwy, see what happens. And oh yea, When the TPS system fault comes on the little amber tire flashes for a little while before staying solid on.
. That's significant or could be.On vehicles from 2007.25MY - Warning indicator flashes for 72 seconds and is then permanently illuminated. 'TYRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT' message displayed = CAN signals missing. Medium speed CAN signal is only between the module and the instrument cluster.

If a TPMS fault warning message is detected by the instrument cluster at ignition on, the warning indicator will illuminate on vehicles up to 2007.25MY and will flash on vehicles from 2007.25MY for 72 seconds after the 3 second bulb check period and then remain permanently illuminated.

There are a series of pinpoint tests in the workshop manual that only require patience and an ohmmeter. There are too many to copy and paste here, sorry. Download the manual - if the issue is the CAN bus (72 seconds flashing) then I would start with the pinpoint test focused on the module.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (10-19-2021), ralphwg (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:03 PM

Sean,
Your suggestion to refer to the workshop manual for TMI brought back fond memories of being a junior designer.
The sage engineer would often respond to our questions with: "It's in the book!".
We learned much from him, God bless him, including how to ask fewer but much more interesting, well researched questions.

best regards,
Bill

Sean W (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:17 PM

TPMS trouble update:

Recap: TPMS Right Front communication failure. The TPM sensor, clearly aftermarket, stopped working (lost communication) and was replaced with a new VDO TPM sensor.
TPMS system functioned properly for a day or two, then failed. Since the vehicle is my 2011 Indigo project XK that had been front damaged, the old TPM sensor that I replaced still appeared new, my VDO replacement TPM worked briefly and switching wheels Right to Left did not resolve the problem, wiring or control module was suspected.

Troubleshooting:
Tried swapping front wheels and driving but the problem stayed on the right front, so assumed the issue was not the new VDO sensor. (!!!)
Using a Fluke 87 DMM (w/small wire adapters), wire circuit to antennas measured 1.7-1.8 ohms. reading the other side of the connector wire circuit read 7.75K ohms back to the TPMS module.
Since both resistances were the same (LF & RF) I assumed wire in the bumper cover and back to TPMS module were OK.
SDD TPMS test indicated 0.2 PSI on the RF TPM with 36 PSI in tire.
Problem appeared to be data sent or processed. TPM sensor at wheel or TPMS module.

Next step: a third TPM sensor (old FoMoCo) was substituted for the new VDO sensor. Before leaving the driveway for a test-drive, the trouble light extinguished.
SDD was used to test the sensors and all registered correct pressure and followed the test pressure reduction.

Conclusion: 1. The replacement VDO sensor failed. A third replacement sensor was required.
2. Swapping the front tires, Left to Right, did not work as a troubleshooting procedure.(!!!) It began the primrose path.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

PS: Also see thread: TPMS SYSTEM FAULT after a week of new TPMS Sensors - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by Bill400; 10-20-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: substitute for clarity
The following 5 users liked this post by Bill400:
Boga (10-20-2021), Cee Jay (10-20-2021), ralphwg (10-20-2021), Sean W (10-21-2021), V7Sport (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Misfire, I read through this post (as I dealt with the same issue with my 07 XK convertible) and I did not see any mention if you are the original owner. As each valve stem is itself a “sending unit” with its own battery, I learned their battery life averages about 4 years. When my car hit 7 years of age, not only was I constantly dealing with the TPMS issue you described, but it was time to replace all 4 factory tires with better, all season tires.(Since my XK is a garage queen, most actively driven cars need tires likely before the batteries on the valve stems weaken or die. So new tires, new valve stems…so you would think.) My Jaguar dealership quoted me the price for both the tires and the new valve stems and asked if I wanted to replace the old valve stems. I was equally shocked at the price of one valve stem & at the fact they would not replace them automatically since the old valve stem battery would fail before the new tire would. During the time they had my car changing tires & valve stems, they ensured there were no more error messages. Since then, a message would appear (occasionally) and I noticed it was consistently in the same part of town, and eventually the message would disappear. As others have noted, there can be signal interference, or a “Jaguar glitch” where partial deflation then inflation of the tire will force a reset, or in my case the valve stem battery(s) were worn out. Either way, I never rely on the TPMS system; I routinely check my tire pressures myself. It is far easier to hit the warning disregard button on the screen then to mess & fret over an electronic “nanny device”. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill400
Sean,
Your suggestion to refer to the workshop manual for TMI brought back fond memories of being a junior designer.
The sage engineer would often respond to our questions with: "It's in the book!".
We learned much from him, God bless him, including how to ask fewer but much more interesting, well researched questions.

best regards,
Bill
hehe, yeah Bill it wasn't out of laziness or trying to teach a lesson as your engineer. There are a lot of pinpoint tests in the manual for TPMS. I've tried in the paste to cut and paste other sections of the manual to MS Word then save as a PDF but the "paste" part formatting was terrible, especially the pictures, and I don't have a PDF writer. Glad yours was sorted and I hope Misfire gets his worked through soon too.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:34 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

And yet F1 cars do rely on tpms. I wouldn’t say I rely on it. But it is a nice feature while driving the long drive knowing a warning will illuminate should pressures go amiss…. which has happened a few times.

wondering out loud: with all you (and others in this predicament) have done… would a simple tpms module reset be the answer? However, I’ve never had the need and I have sensors in each of my 3 sets of tires.

I suppose its possible the sensors have deteriorated…. but mine haven’t. And I drive her in all weather and conditions.

Also, was the test drive following the rotation of the tires, adequate? Despite the rule in the tech manual and owners manual, I go for a drive on a country highway and get the car up to speed. Within 15 mins the warning shuts off.